Off season random *^%$

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Post Reply
User avatar
kennethnoisewater
Member # Retired
Posts: 2327
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Kalispell, MT

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:03 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:30 pm
While I don't think this will make it's way to the BSC, trickle down effect from TX & OU moving to the SEC has reached the FCS...reportedly

It's interesting. What kind of pressure does that put on schools like MSU, NDSU, Weber--larger state schools with solid programs? Does this weaken the FCS or will there always be a place for solid FCS programs? Does the FCS eventually become a 3rd tier D-I league? I mean it kind of already is with P-5 then G-5 schools. Will there be increased pressure to join the G-5 type conferences? And obviously the program over in Missoula is in that mix, but can the university support it? If not, does MSU move up without them? I'd imagine every school with football is having serious conversations about where they're best positioned for future success. I know I love the FCS but what if the FCS takes a big hit? Will we be able to make the argument that we'd rather play for a championship if that championship doesn't mean as much down the road?


Image

User avatar
mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4810
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:44 pm

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:48 pm

I hope we never move up.

I hate that the best you could ever hope for is to play in some random bowl game that nobody cares about.


FTG- GO CATS GO!

User avatar
kennethnoisewater
Member # Retired
Posts: 2327
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Kalispell, MT

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:13 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:48 pm
I hope we never move up.

I hate that the best you could ever hope for is to play in some random bowl game that nobody cares about.
I hope we never move up within the current setup of the NCAA. But if there's a major change, I wouldn't mind exploring it. For instance, if that second tier (current group of 5) becomes its own level with some sort of championship, I think MSU might be perfect for that. I don't want MSU competing on the same level as the Power 5 though.


Image

User avatar
ND0479
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:45 am

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by ND0479 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:15 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:48 pm
I hope we never move up.

I hate that the best you could ever hope for is to play in some random bowl game that nobody cares about.
Well, the FBS playoff is going to expand to more teams giving the smaller conferences a chance at a National Championship...not that it's a realistic chance.

I do agree with where it stands now, even the prominent bowls don't really have a lot of meaning anymore to the fans. Big payouts for the school though.



User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7953
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:49 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:48 pm
I hope we never move up.

I hate that the best you could ever hope for is to play in some random bowl game that nobody cares about.
Yeah but that's the thing with the current state of the FBS level...the Power 5 is inching toward having their own playoff and permanently excluding the G5 schools from their competition. This is why I believe the G5 schools and bigger FCS program will come together to form a new FCS (or whatever you want to call it). I don't know, that's how I see it going.


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BelligerentBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:58 am

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:27 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:49 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:48 pm
I hope we never move up.

I hate that the best you could ever hope for is to play in some random bowl game that nobody cares about.
Yeah but that's the thing with the current state of the FBS level...the Power 5 is inching toward having their own playoff and permanently excluding the G5 schools from their competition. This is why I believe the G5 schools and bigger FCS program will come together to form a new FCS (or whatever you want to call it). I don't know, that's how I see it going.
Agreed. The Group of 5 is essentially already being excluded. Makes more sense for them, and the larger FCS schools to get together, make their own playoff.

Some things will be better, some things won’t.

But think of a conference with Wyoming, MSU, UM, Idaho, Nevada, UNLV, maybe even Boise and the Colorado schools. That’d be fun.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 15800
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:18 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:27 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:49 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:48 pm
I hope we never move up.

I hate that the best you could ever hope for is to play in some random bowl game that nobody cares about.
Yeah but that's the thing with the current state of the FBS level...the Power 5 is inching toward having their own playoff and permanently excluding the G5 schools from their competition. This is why I believe the G5 schools and bigger FCS program will come together to form a new FCS (or whatever you want to call it). I don't know, that's how I see it going.
Agreed. The Group of 5 is essentially already being excluded. Makes more sense for them, and the larger FCS schools to get together, make their own playoff.

Some things will be better, some things won’t.

But think of a conference with Wyoming, MSU, UM, Idaho, Nevada, UNLV, maybe even Boise and the Colorado schools. That’d be fun.
Something almost has to be in the works. Many current FCS teams are not going to want to stay in the FCS considering all the other teams that are moving up. The FCS will become watered down and winning a championship in it will carry less meaning.

I think the most impressive championships, considering the competition, that the BSC has won were the ones in the 70s and 80s and 90s. MSU won two (beat current FBS teams both times; and another FBS - Ark. St. - in the quarterfinals), Idaho State won one, Boise State won one, UM won one and it, too, was over a current FBS team, and they also beat current FBS team along the way.


MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 56 individual National Champions (most recent 2021).
toM StUber

Long Time Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1141
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:40 am
Location: North Idaho

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:32 am

ND0479 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:30 pm
While I don't think this will make it's way to the BSC, trickle down effect from TX & OU moving to the SEC has reached the FCS...reportedly

MWC trying to stay together (from the Idaho Statesman)

ARE THEY STAYING OR GOING?
Talk about conference realignment has been pretty nonstop since Oklahoma and Texas announced in July that they were leaving Big 12.

The latest reports, which surfaced last week in a story from CBS Sports, suggest the American Athletic Conference is targeting Mountain West schools in an effort to replace UCF, Cincinnati and Houston — all of whom joined BYU in accepting invitations to the Big 12.

“I would be naïve if I didn’t think there are conversations between any of our institutions and other people,” Mountain West Commissioner Craig Thompson told the San Diego Union-Tribune. “I think that’s their fiduciary responsibility and due diligence to their fan bases and season-ticket holders.”


Thompson feels confident that if the Mountain West remains intact, it will be included in what American Athletic Conference Commissioner Mike Aresco called “the Power Six” — not the AAC.

“I keep saying it like a broken record: If the 12 Mountain West institutions stay together, we’re the sixth-best conference,” Thompson told the San Diego Union-Tribune. “Circle the wagons, stay together, while simultaneously looking to see if there are institutions out there that make us even stronger.”

A spokesperson for the conference declined a request from the Idaho Statesman for a comment on Monday.


"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

User avatar
Montanabob
Member # Retired
Posts: 2000
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by Montanabob » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:59 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:03 pm
ND0479 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:30 pm
While I don't think this will make it's way to the BSC, trickle down effect from TX & OU moving to the SEC has reached the FCS...reportedly

It's interesting. What kind of pressure does that put on schools like MSU, NDSU, Weber--larger state schools with solid programs? Does this weaken the FCS or will there always be a place for solid FCS programs? Does the FCS eventually become a 3rd tier D-I league? I mean it kind of already is with P-5 then G-5 schools. Will there be increased pressure to join the G-5 type conferences? And obviously the program over in Missoula is in that mix, but can the university support it? If not, does MSU move up without them? I'd imagine every school with football is having serious conversations about where they're best positioned for future success. I know I love the FCS but what if the FCS takes a big hit? Will we be able to make the argument that we'd rather play for a championship if that championship doesn't mean as much down the road?
GOSH, any chance the Rust Belt will take back Idaho?


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10773
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Upper Northwest WA
Contact:

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by CelticCat » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:53 pm

Not sure where else to put this but it’s hilarious.



R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 11536
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by wbtfg » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:53 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:53 pm
Not sure where else to put this but it’s hilarious.

West Wilson is a treasure. How’d he ever end up at MSU? Also, has he been a guest on the podcast yet?



Common Cat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2408
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Spokane

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by Common Cat » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:35 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:53 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:53 pm
Not sure where else to put this but it’s hilarious.

West Wilson is a treasure. How’d he ever end up at MSU? Also, has he been a guest on the podcast yet?
We should! Honestly figured he’d start his own and put Celtic and I out of business haha!


@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Catsrgrood
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 822
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:49 pm
Location: Billings

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by Catsrgrood » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:10 pm

This is completely off subject, so I suppose the random thread is as good of a place as any for it, but does anyone know what happened to bobcat99?

I wasn’t on here a ton this extended offseason, and I just recently realized I hadn’t seen anything from him in awhile. I searched his name and the username doesn’t exist anymore. Is he gone entirely? Create a new username?
I always enjoyed his input.



User avatar
BleedingBLue
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3681
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:28 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:10 pm
This is completely off subject, so I suppose the random thread is as good of a place as any for it, but does anyone know what happened to bobcat99?

I wasn’t on here a ton this extended offseason, and I just recently realized I hadn’t seen anything from him in awhile. I searched his name and the username doesn’t exist anymore. Is he gone entirely? Create a new username?
I always enjoyed his input.
He was probably tired of fighting with Cataholic :lol: As soon BelligerentBobcat starting posting though I thought it might be 99. Not so sure now though.



User avatar
grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6271
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Billings via Livingston
Contact:

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:01 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:10 pm
This is completely off subject, so I suppose the random thread is as good of a place as any for it, but does anyone know what happened to bobcat99?

I wasn’t on here a ton this extended offseason, and I just recently realized I hadn’t seen anything from him in awhile. I searched his name and the username doesn’t exist anymore. Is he gone entirely? Create a new username?
I always enjoyed his input.
His last posts are in this thread (it was a real doozie) he may have asked the mods to suspend his account...

Always appreciated his knowledge and blunt, terse, no fluff manner.

https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... 99#p734648


Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Retard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

User avatar
CatBot
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 269
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:38 pm

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by CatBot » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:58 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:01 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:10 pm
This is completely off subject, so I suppose the random thread is as good of a place as any for it, but does anyone know what happened to bobcat99?

I wasn’t on here a ton this extended offseason, and I just recently realized I hadn’t seen anything from him in awhile. I searched his name and the username doesn’t exist anymore. Is he gone entirely? Create a new username?
I always enjoyed his input.
His last posts are in this thread (it was a real doozie) he may have asked the mods to suspend his account...

Always appreciated his knowledge and blunt, terse, no fluff manner.

https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... 99#p734648
99 was one of the best posters on here. I thought early on he was actually Belligerent and the goal the new screen name was to make sure Cataholic doesn't blow up the thread every time he posts.



BelligerentBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:58 am

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:38 am

Lol.

Truly flattered guys.

I am a long, long, time lurker, first time poster.

I am not the one you are searching for, sorry.



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5571
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by RickRund » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:12 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:38 am
Lol.

Truly flattered guys.

I am a long, long, time lurker, first time poster.

I am not the one you are searching for, sorry.
So you are not the Droid they are searching for...


msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BelligerentBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:58 am

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:20 pm

RickRund wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:12 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:38 am
Lol.

Truly flattered guys.

I am a long, long, time lurker, first time poster.

I am not the one you are searching for, sorry.
So you are not the Droid they are searching for...
They combed the Desert for me, but couldn’t find me.

And yes, my password is 1234.



Cataholic
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5231
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Off season random *^%$

Post by Cataholic » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:06 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:28 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:10 pm
This is completely off subject, so I suppose the random thread is as good of a place as any for it, but does anyone know what happened to bobcat99?

I wasn’t on here a ton this extended offseason, and I just recently realized I hadn’t seen anything from him in awhile. I searched his name and the username doesn’t exist anymore. Is he gone entirely? Create a new username?
I always enjoyed his input.
He was probably tired of fighting with Cataholic :lol: As soon BelligerentBobcat starting posting though I thought it might be 99. Not so sure now though.
Another poster told me 99 is in agriculture and it is the busy season for him. I don’t know 99 personally, but it strikes me as funny that many thought a poster with the username of “belligerent” might be 99. I have never liked people who can be described as “belligerent”, but maybe I am in the minority.



Post Reply