Night home games

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Night home games

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:15 pm

kcatz wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:52 pm
Bobcat Sig wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:35 pm
It seems foolish to spend all that money to equip our stadium with lights to not have night games.

More night games, please and thanks.
The lights are on any time there is a TV broadcast. The lights were not installed just for night games. I have been told multiple times that the lights were a request for daytime TV broadcast as well....the lights improve the picture even for day games.
Lights are also necessary for practice as the days get shorter.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:21 pm

gtapp wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:04 am
MSU01 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:56 am
As someone who has a few hours of travel each way to get to a Bobcat game, I'm pretty happy about the mostly afternoon start times and being able to have dinner after the game and still get home at a reasonable hour. Especially given what hotel prices in Bozeman are like these days. :shock:
This may be the reason but I am not sure why people would not make the trip if the game started a few hours later. Afterall, the games are on Sat not Sun. But then I come from Minneapolis so that may be why I don't get it. Maybe the students would not come at night??
Lots of people come to games from Billings, Butte, and smaller town and even early October can have severe snowstorms on the Bozeman and Homestake passes. It’s not as easy as driving on flat snow as in Minneapolis. Additionally, as pointed out earlier, lodging prices in Bozeman and Belgrade are Sky-high.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

cowgirlcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by cowgirlcat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:25 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:21 pm
gtapp wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
As someone who has a few hours of travel each way to get to a Bobcat game, I'm pretty happy about the mostly afternoon start times and being able to have dinner after the game and still get home at a reasonable hour. Especially given what hotel prices in Bozeman are like these days. :shock:
This may be the reason but I am not sure why people would not make the trip if the game started a few hours later. Afterall, the games are on Sat not Sun. But then I come from Minneapolis so that may be why I don't get it. Maybe the students would not come at night??
Lots of people come to games from Billings, Butte, and smaller town and even early October can have severe snowstorms on the Bozeman and Homestake passes. It’s not as easy as driving on flat snow as in Minneapolis. Additionally, as pointed out earlier, lodging prices in Bozeman and Belgrade are Sky-high.
Livingston isn’t much better and we personally would rethink coming to more games if we had to spend the night more. Don’t get me wrong. We love the Gold Rush game and night games are fun but Bozeman is not affordable like it used to be. Rethinking even sending my kids there unfortunately.

cowgirlcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by cowgirlcat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:25 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:21 pm
gtapp wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Livingston isn’t much better and we personally would rethink coming to more games if we had to spend the night more. Don’t get me wrong. We love the Gold Rush game and night games are fun but Bozeman is not affordable like it used to be. Rethinking even sending my kids there unfortunately.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:07 pm

I am pretty much with everyone else regarding night games and traveling. I travel a couple hours one way for each home game. The noon/1pm starts allow me to get to Bozeman early enough to tailgate a little, take in the game, grab something to eat afterwards, and still get home at a decent hour. When the weather starts getting bad, we skip the bite to eat and get home right away so we still have some daylight to drive in. Night games work early in the season, but would be almost impossible for us to attend later in the year.

Hell, I spent a night in Bozeman a few weeks ago, and had to spend over $300 for a run-of-the-mill hotel room. Absolutely ridiculous.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:22 pm

kcatz wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:
It seems foolish to spend all that money to equip our stadium with lights to not have night games.

The lights are on any time there is a TV broadcast. The lights were not installed just for night games. I have been told multiple times that the lights were a request for daytime TV broadcast as well....the lights improve the picture even for day games.
Makes sense.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:23 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:07 pm
I am pretty much with everyone else regarding night games and traveling. I travel a couple hours one way for each home game. The noon/1pm starts allow me to get to Bozeman early enough to tailgate a little, take in the game, grab something to eat afterwards, and still get home at a decent hour. When the weather starts getting bad, we skip the bite to eat and get home right away so we still have some daylight to drive in. Night games work early in the season, but would be almost impossible for us to attend later in the year.

Hell, I spent a night in Bozeman a few weeks ago, and had to spend over $300 for a run-of-the-mill hotel room. Absolutely ridiculous.
Summer tourist season will do that to lodging prices.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:49 pm

Bobcat Sig wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:23 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:

Actually it is more than summer. Places where firefighters are going this year are anywhere from $200 to $400+ a night. All because sooooo many people are traveling for fun. Even Yellowstone was packed this month. I wonder if boomers are retiring early or just saying fu to work right now and traveling. I know as a boomer I am trying to figure out how soon I can retire and stop paying for the Democrats taxation plans.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:03 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:49 pm
Bobcat Sig wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

Actually it is more than summer. Places where firefighters are going this year are anywhere from $200 to $400+ a night. All because sooooo many people are traveling for fun. Even Yellowstone was packed this month. I wonder if boomers are retiring early or just saying fu to work right now and traveling. I know as a boomer I am trying to figure out how soon I can retire and stop paying for the Democrats taxation plans.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:45 am

kcatz wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:

The football team and the band take advantage of the lights for practice. In the playoff month of December when the sun is only up from 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. they pay off big-time. I don’t know what time the team practices now, but Choate’s infamous 6 a.m. practices would have been in the dark otherwise.

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:56 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

So… tourism.

Also, no need to get all political.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:49 pm

Bobcat Sig wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:56 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

So… tourism.

Also, no need to get all political.
I blame Covid policies. There's so much uncertainty around international travel so everyone (including myself) is vacationing domestically.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:01 pm

...........and, there are folks living "near'" the stadium who complain about the noise (did you guys forget about the noise-shed)

:D :D

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT