1936 Montana State Bobcats film

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

1936 Montana State Bobcats film

Post by AFCAT » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:53 pm

Hello sports fans

A little over a month ago, I spotted a vintage 1936 Montana State College football home movie for sale, along with three other Bozeman related film reels. I purchased all of the film and had it digitized. Much to my surprise and delight, the football film was legit and there was film of a Bobcat track meet as well.

I edited down about an hour of film to a few relevant scenes, researched and identified as many people in the film that I could, added some sound effects and this is the end result.

All of the film was taken at the old Gatton field on campus. If you don’t know where Gatton field was located, it was across the street from the rear entrance to Romney gym, now Romney Hall. The current fitness center is basically located where the old Gatton field was. In fact, the old brick Gatton field gate is still there.

I know this film isn’t perfect. The game scenes aren’t framed real well and it’s difficult to see who is who, but I think the film is still a cool snapshot into Montana State history. In fact, this is probably the oldest known film of Montana State football and track. Big thanks go out to the man who filmed the scenes, William Tatem Reeves and to his family, who saved the film.

The first scene is the homecoming game against Colorado College in Bozeman. This was a huge game for its day, over 2,000 people attended and the Governor of Montana even showed up to watch. Now, you aren’t going to be able to really identify which team is the Bobcats in the game scenes, but I know the team kicking the field goal is their opponent, Colorado College. Montana State won the game 6-3.
The drum major twirling the baton at the beginning of the film and leading the band at halftime is James Finn. James went on to become a college professor, married, and had two daughters before passing away in 1969.

Here is a football game breakdown from the 1936 Montanan yearbook.

“Before a Homecoming crowd of two thousand, including the Governor of Montana, an under-dog band of Montana Bobcats rose to unexpected heights and defeated the Colorado College Tigers 6-3.
It was the fourth meeting of the two Rocky Mountain Conference rivals and marked the first victory ever chalked up over the Tigers by the Bobcats. So evenly matched were the two teams that thrills a plenty were afforded the spectators. Early in the game Colorado College marched to Montana State's 10-yard line and a first down. Three plays gained less than half the required distance and on the fourth down Switzer was rushed into the Colorado lineup to attempt a field goal. With the fans breathlessly watching, the ball split the uprights and the score read: Colorado College 3, Bobcats 0. The Bobcats received and marched to the Colorado 25 yard line. Here a 15-yard penalty set them back to the 45-yard line. On the third down Taylor dropped back and heaved a beautiful 40 yard pass to Zupan who gathered it in stride and scored standing up. This ended the scoring, but not the thrills. In the third period, Purdum broke loose, evaded the whole Colorado line and was stopped finally after a 30 yard run, by the Tiger safety man. In the final period, Taylor dropped back to pass, found no receiver and then scampered 35 yards for the longest run of the day. Fine football was turned out by the whole team, especially Stebbins, Kimberly, Paris, Purdum and Taylor. “

The second scene is a football practice at Gatton field and you can see some buildings on campus that are still there, including Romney Hall, the old steam plant, Montana Hall, and a few others. Brick Breeden (the person) even makes an appearance. The little boy that shows up in many of the scenes is William Tatem Reeves III, the son of the man who made the film. I believe William is 86 years old now and living in Michigan. Williams mother, Margaret, also shows up in one scene, she was a 1931 Montana State graduate. Margaret died in 1992.

The man running towards the camera in the posed shot is Al Zupan. Al was a football and basketball star at Montana State. Captain Al Zupan was killed in a plane crash in 1943 while in pilot training during the war. Al left behind a wife and young son. Coincidently, his wife and son were also killed in a plane crash in 1950.

The head coach, John ‘Jack’ Croft, is shown passing to someone off camera. Jack was a star athlete in Utah before becoming the Montana State head football coach. He only coached at Montana State for two years before returning to Utah. In the late 1940’s, Jack Croft opened up a sporting goods store in Logan, Utah called ‘The Sportsman.’ Jack’s store is still run by his family today. Jack died in 1979.

Thomas ‘Pat’ Dolan is in the film. Pat Dolan was originally from Libby and is referred to as the ‘Minor Sports Head Coach’ in the Montana State yearbooks. Pat remained a coach (mostly in wrestling and swimming) at Montana State for 20 years until moving over to Bozeman High School, where he worked as a fitness instructor. Pat Dolan died in 1952.

#44 is Max Kimberley. Max Kimberley is mentioned throughout the old Montanan yearbooks and I located many newspaper articles referencing him in the 1930s. Max was originally from the Hamilton, Montana area and married his hometown sweetheart, but it doesn't look like they had any children. Like most of the men on the teams from that era, Max served during WWII, as a Navy officer and navigator and retired from either active or reserve service as a Lieutenant Commander. Max went on to be a wrestling coach at Fresno State. He passed away in 1978

William ‘Bill’ Stebbins from Livingston has a quick appearance in the practice scenes. Bill was a team Captain and a top athlete in football and basketball at Montana State. Bill is referenced in the Montana State yearbooks many times and was listed as the top overall athlete at the school in 1938. Bill passed away in Colorado in 1976.

Jim Taylor, the quarterback of the football team, is shown throwing the football during the practice scene. Jim was a top athlete in football, basketball and track. I located many newspaper articles that referenced his athletic prowess and he was also singled out in the Montana State yearbooks for his athletic skills, winning the top overall athlete award in 1937. Jim Taylor passed away in California in 1974. I believe Jim’s daughter, Barbara, lives up near Great Falls.

In the second game film scene, filmed from Romney gym, you can see out where the field house is now located and off in the distance, Dyche field, and even where Bobcat stadium now stands. I can’t identify the opponent in this game.

The fourth scene is of some guys boxing on Gatton field. I just left that scene soundless. I can’t positively identify any of the men in this scene, although I do have an idea who at least one of them is. It’s tough to identify some of these guys by just comparing photos from that era. I usually try to locate at least one additional item, other than an identifying photo, like a jersey number, but I can’t do that in this case.

The fifth scene is of a Montana State track meet at Gatton field, which is kind of fun to watch. I can’t positively identify anyone in this scene.

I hope you all enjoy this little slice of Bobcat history.

Last edited by AFCAT on Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Re: 1936 Montana State Bobcats film

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:03 pm

WOW! What a find. That is unbelievably cool. Thanks for posting this.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:30 pm

Thanks for your work and for posting this! Quite a gem!

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:14 pm

This is so indescribably cool.

A couple of nerdy details: At 35 seconds-the homecoming parade on Main Street in Bozeman you can see the old Nelson Story Mansion located about where Willson School gym is today. The mansion, which was only 50 years old, was torn down in 1938 to make way for the school.

At 43 seconds you can see a car go zipping behind the grandstand-pretty cool.

At 4:47 you can see a box car beyond the score board. A little later you can see coal cars parked by the heating plant. They must have had a spur line off the rail line that is the Gallagator Trail today.

I'm probably going to burn a lot of time staring at this video!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:52 pm

Amazing. Thanks AFCAT!!

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:34 am

Just a short update. I have sent some requests for information out to a few of the families of the players on that 1936 team and I may have figured out who #44 is. I’m waiting for some photos to make certain. I have individual photos of all the players to compare with the video images. I had eliminated a bunch of players from contention to be the guy wearing #44 due to their hair styles at the time, but I may have been wrong in one case.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:27 am

The write-up indicates the governor was in attendance. At about the 1 minute mark the video shows a distinguished gentleman first and then it shows two gentlemen. I am assuming one of these might be the governor, who would have been W. Elmer Holt. Just trying to figure out who the governor might be is difficult, further illuminating how much work this has been put into this by AFCAT! Fantastic job and once again thank you for all the time and effort that you put into this! Again, BRAVO AFCAT!

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:45 am

This is awesome! I'm a track nerd so the end was my favorite part. Thanks for all the work!

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RICO CAT » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:19 am

For the love of football! This is an absolute treasure! AFCAT I can’t imagine the amount of time you put into this. The quality is better than some of the videos I’ve seen from the 1980’s. You just made my week - thank you!

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:48 am

Rich K wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:27 am
The write-up indicates the governor was in attendance. At about the 1 minute mark the video shows a distinguished gentleman first and then it shows two gentlemen. I am assuming one of these might be the governor, who would have been W. Elmer Holt. Just trying to figure out who the governor might be is difficult, further illuminating how much work this has been put into this by AFCAT! Fantastic job and once again thank you for all the time and effort that you put into this! Again, BRAVO AFCAT!
Yeah, I also thought the Governor may be one of the guys in the video. I checked out the photos I could locate online and I think it may be the first civilian gentleman that shows up but I wasn't certain, so I just left his name off.

I also went through all the yearbooks from about 1934 to 1940 to look at photos of MSC Deans, teachers, etc., but no luck finding matches there.

I contacted the son of one 1936 freshman football player in hopes that his father may have been the elusive #44 in the video. The son I contacted thought I was some sort of a scammer and wouldn't look at the video, so I sent him a screen shot instead. I still think the son still believes I'm some sort of a nutbag...well...a scammer nutbag. Anyway, his father didn't turn out to be that player anyway. I'm about 99% certain I do know #44s identity now but I want to check on one more thing first.

60's Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 60's Cat » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:31 am

Thanks for your efforts.

allwetcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by allwetcat » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:53 pm

I have a 1939 year book, A picture that looks like it could be No. 44 is labeled Scharmota, Kind of hard to make out the number. the picture has a resemblance to the gentlemen in the video.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:18 pm

allwetcat wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:53 pm
I have a 1939 year book, A picture that looks like it could be No. 44 is labeled Scharmota, Kind of hard to make out the number. the picture has a resemblance to the gentlemen in the video.
Thanks, but he didn't play in '36. I'm pretty sure I know who the #44 is in the film. I'll post his name soon.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:41 pm

Love watching the high jump event during the track & field portion in the film. The old technique used before the Fosbury flop, which is now used these days! Looked like there was almost some golf footage as well, right at the end of the boxing?

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:11 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:41 pm
Love watching the high jump event during the track & field portion in the film. The old technique used before the Fosbury flop, which is now used these days! Looked like there was almost some golf footage as well, right at the end of the boxing?
The high jump was my favorite part too. I remember being taught the Fosbury flop in grade school. I could never get the flop down though, so I stuck to distance races.

Yeah, there is some golf footage but I cut most of it since it wasn’t Bobcat related and I wasn’t sure if it was taken in Bozeman. There is about 45 minutes of other footage of the Reeves family, Montana churches, and other family stuff that I figured people wouldn’t be interested in.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:16 pm

I figured out who #44 is in the video. I got a little target fixated during my initial search. I was focusing too much on each persons hair in the team and individual photos to look for initial suspects and then looked at facial features to confirm. One of the men I thought looked similar to #44 was Hugh Paris. Hugh was one of the players on the 1936 team and an exceptional football player and MSC athlete. I located all sorts of information on Hugh in newspaper articles, praising his athletic achievements. I lucked out and was able to get in contact with Hugh's daughter, Heather. Heather (also an MSU graduate) was really wonderful and open to helping me out. Heather immediately recognized #44 as one of her fathers best friends on the team, Max Kimberley. If you look at the team and individual photos, Max's hair is slicked back but his facial features match up perfectly in early photos, but he beefed up a bit in later years.

Max Kimberley and Hugh Paris both played on the line and were the two biggest men on the team and remained lifelong friends until Max died in 1978. Max and Hugh were so close that they had special white letterman sweaters made up instead of the traditional blue. They were the only two guys that had those white sweaters and both men stand out in the photos. Who is going to argue with the two biggest guys on the team if they want to be different? Hughs white letterman sweater is on display at the Brick Breeden field house.

Max Kimberley is also mentioned throughout the old Montanan yearbooks and I located many newspaper articles referencing him in the 1930s. Max was originally from the Hamilton, Montana area and married his hometown sweetheart, but it doesn't look like they had any children. Like most of the men on the teams from that era, Max served during WWII, as a Navy officer and navigator and retired from either active or reserve service as a Lieutenant Commander. Max went on to be a wrestling coach at Fresno State.

Hugh's white letterman sweater. Hugh Paris passed away in 2003.

Hugh (on the right looking at the photo) and Max wearing their white sweaters.

I also checked out additional photos of the 1936 Governor of Montana, William E. Holt, and I believe he is in fact in the film as well. I'll post a new link to the film with the updates.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:48 am

This is really cool! Well done!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:31 am

Awesome research, thanks for doing this!

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:12 am

Thanks for all of your work on this.