Joining the Mountain West Conference

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Purrfection Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Joining the Mountain West Conference

Post by Purrfection Cat » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:09 am

With all the conference realignments I think it is a real possibility that both Montana schools are going to get an invite. MSUs trajectory has been going up for some time in academics athletics enrollment and research and endowment dollars. I would like to invite a discussion on what this would look like.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Joining the Mountain West Conference

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:15 am

Purrfection Cat wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:09 am
With all the conference realignments I think it is a real possibility that both Montana schools are going to get an invite. MSUs trajectory has been going up for some time in academics athletics enrollment and research and endowment dollars. I would like to invite a discussion on what this would look like.
Nope. Remnants of the Big 12, a few From the MFVC and MSU. The WAC and remnants of the mountain west for the U of M and New Mexico State.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:17 am

Purrfection Cat wrote:
Without a huge influx of money into the athletic program, we'd probably look like New Mexico. I like that the FCS plays for something. Who wants to go to some no-name bowl event and lose money the process?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:23 am

Purrfection Cat wrote:
In the past, I've been violently opposed to moving up. But I'm warming up to it now, as long as MSU could get into a conference that's not considered garbage and if we were able to keep our rivalry with the community college to the west. I think the MWC is a decent conference. You've at least got the potential to crash some Power 5 parties.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:25 am

Personally I hate the FBS level, mostly because of the bowl setup.... a school like UM or MSU would never even have a chance at competing for a championship, or even a worthwhile bowl game for that matter.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:30 am

Once the SEC/BIG10/PAC12/ACC completely break free and form their own Super D1 there will be no more tv windfall for the P6 because they won't get to play against the big money schools. The only reason for us to move up is money and if there is less of it in the future there's less of a reason to make a move. I like the FCS and think we should stay.

I still think the new structure in 10 years will be Super D1, G6/Top half of FCS, Bottom half of FCS/D2. We're happy where we are so we might as well wait for everything to shake out and make a push for a national championship in the meantime.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:32 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:17 am
Purrfection Cat wrote:
Without a huge influx of money into the athletic program, we'd probably look like New Mexico. I like that the FCS plays for something. Who wants to go to some no-name bowl event and lose money the process?
Yep. They get a week to prepare for what amounts to a scrimmage for the first two rounds for some teams. Then, the athletic department has to jump through hoops to arrange cross country trips for countless folks, usually minus small parts of a college such as their cheer teams, bands and countless deep pocketed fans because we all know how much cheaper a plane ticket is if you buy it less than a week in advance than say a nonstop flight two months in advance to some ****** in Hawaii, Florida, souhern California, etc...

Hell, I would hate to see MSU's Rodeo Team lead them into a stadium in Orlando sometime in December when the weather is so nice and balmy in Bozeangeles...

Maybe the ski team can lead them into a December playoff game!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:20 am

Cledus wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:23 am
Purrfection Cat wrote:
In the past, I've been violently opposed to moving up. But I'm warming up to it now, as long as MSU could get into a conference that's not considered garbage and if we were able to keep our rivalry with the community college to the west. I think the MWC is a decent conference. You've at least got the potential to crash some Power 5 parties.
Have you looked at the grizzly enrollment lately? They are on their way to D2.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:34 am

I've been slowly warming up to the idea of an FBS move into a good P5 conference. There is more to consider than just football - the MWC for example is a multiple bid March Madness league, and there is a lot of notoriety and money to be made for everyone in the conference on that fact alone.

I don't want to do it just to do it but if we get into a conference with Colorado State, Utah State, Fresno State, Wyoming, Nevada... that's not a bad spot to be.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:58 am

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:34 am
I've been slowly warming up to the idea of an FBS move into a good P5 conference. There is more to consider than just football - the MWC for example is a multiple bid March Madness league, and there is a lot of notoriety and money to be made for everyone in the conference on that fact alone.

I don't want to do it just to do it but if we get into a conference with Colorado State, Utah State, Fresno State, Wyoming, Nevada... that's not a bad spot to be.
Well that would be a G5 conference, and not a P5.

I assume there will be a major realignment and the P5 or whatever it turns into, will leave the NCAA behind and form their own super league. Who knows what happens to the G5, FCS, and below...It'd be nice to see a promotion/relegation system like the European soccer leagues.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:08 am

What kind of move would give us a better chance to compete for championships in any of the sports we participate in? I can't think of one. Outside of money there's no good reason to make a change.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:30 am

I enjoy watching the FBS because I love football. But as a Utah fan it's a crappy feeling when your team has to be undefeated at least halfway through the season to even be in consideration for a New Years 6 bowl. Even if they go 10-2 they might get to play in the Alamo bowl. If they finish worse it's most likely the Vegas bowl or Holiday bowl. Whoopdie freakin do! If the FBS had a real playoff I'd feel differently. Every other sport has, and every other level of football for that matter, has a playoff. No thanks to moving up if it means we play in the potato bowl if we manage to get 6 wins.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:38 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:58 am
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:34 am

Well that would be a G5 conference, and not a P5.

I assume there will be a major realignment and the P5 or whatever it turns into, will leave the NCAA behind and form their own super league. Who knows what happens to the G5, FCS, and below...It'd be nice to see a promotion/relegation system like the European soccer leagues.
Ah yes, slip of the mind, I meant to type G5. You are right, there is going to likely be a major realignment, the question is do you jockey for that 2nd tier now or wait to see where the chips land and then make your move.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:13 pm

I'd hate it for football and love it for all the other sports that don't have an FCS level to compete at for national championships.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:06 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:20 am
Cledus wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:23 am
Purrfection Cat wrote:
Have you looked at the grizzly enrollment lately? They are on their way to D2.
I hadn't, but just did because you mentioned it. Spring 2021: UM 7,700, MSU 15,000. :shock:

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:10 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:30 am
I enjoy watching the FBS because I love football. But as a Utah fan it's a crappy feeling when your team has to be undefeated at least halfway through the season to even be in consideration for a New Years 6 bowl. Even if they go 10-2 they might get to play in the Alamo bowl. If they finish worse it's most likely the Vegas bowl or Holiday bowl. Whoopdie freakin do! If the FBS had a real playoff I'd feel differently. Every other sport has, and every other level of football for that matter, has a playoff. No thanks to moving up if it means we play in the potato bowl if we manage to get 6 wins.
Utah has blown a few opportunities to get to a Rose Bowl and in the playoff conversation including 2019 when Oregon curb-stomped an 11-1 Utah team in the PAC 12 championship game 37-15. Had Utah won that game, they likely make the FBS playoff.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:47 pm

We've visited this topic a couple of times in the past. It's not just about adding 22 more football scholarships.
Just briefly...FCS requires a minimum of 12 NCAA sports, with at least 6 men's sports. Basketball is required.
FBS requires a minimum of 16 sports, football is required with a minimum of 8 female sports. Don't ask me about Gonzaga, Seattle U, etc., I don't know and don't care. Also, the football program must generate a minimum of 15,000 home game fans on a rolling two year basis. Again, many have not been meeting the requirement...maybe they are on some type of probation ? [-( .
There's more, but those are the basics. So MSU would possibly be looking at adding four more teams, coaches, venues, trainers in addition of more football rides. Oh, and FBS does not allow "partials". All football scholies are full rides.
That's a lot of stuff.
NDSU did a deep dive study into this a few years back and decided to stay put....for a lot of the reason posters have called out above. They also have a problem because they likely would need to build a new stadium. The one they play in now belongs to Fargo. So they are very happy playing where they are playing now.. at the top of the table. Nothing wrong with that, I say.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:00 pm

PapaG wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:10 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Utah has blown a few opportunities to get to a Rose Bowl and in the playoff conversation including 2019 when Oregon curb-stomped an 11-1 Utah team in the PAC 12 championship game 37-15. Had Utah won that game, they likely make the FBS playoff.
Oh I know! I'm just saying there is always something to play for at the FCS level, even if u lose 3 or 4 games in the regular season. Cat-Griz was a playoff game on 2018. Then we made the playoffs and won a home game. So much more exciting than a crappy bowl invite.

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:11 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:00 pm
PapaG wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:10 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Oh I know! I'm just saying there is always something to play for at the FCS level, even if u lose 3 or 4 games in the regular season. Cat-Griz was a playoff game on 2018. Then we made the playoffs and won a home game. So much more exciting than a crappy bowl invite.
Totally agree!

Purrfection Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Purrfection Cat » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:38 pm

I love the discussion. Many of you stated that you are happy with fcs because of playoffs. I feel that this new alignment will have playoff scenarios plus the extra revenue from being a fbs team. Let me tell you. There ain’t no money in fcs and I think the future of the fcs will only get weaker. I think playing Wyoming and Colorado state would be awesome.