BSC mystery

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: BSC mystery

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:52 am

Weber has a tweet that says all home games (I assume they are talking non-conf here) and all conference games will be on ESPN+. But again, until someone specifically addresses the Root contract/games it's hard to tell what will happen there.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:01 am

I see that it costs 5.99 per month for Hulu. I understand that it includes streaming ESP+ and ESPN3. Am I correct in that assumption? I used to stream ESPN3 using my Direct TV as the carrier for streaming. I recently found out that you cannot stream that anymore through Direct TV. Has anyone experienced this? I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:04 am

And for those cable cutters, ESPN+ is $5.99 a month.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:04 am

bobcatbob wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:01 am
I see that it costs 5.99 per month for Hulu. I understand that it includes streaming ESP+ and ESPN3. Am I correct in that assumption? I used to stream ESPN3 using my Direct TV as the carrier for streaming. I recently found out that you cannot stream that anymore through Direct TV. Has anyone experienced this? I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks.
Per the press release:
Fans sign up to ESPN+ for just $5.99 a month (or $59.99 per year) at ESPN.com, ESPNplus.com or on the ESPN App (mobile and connected devices). It is also available as part of The Disney Bundle that gives subscribers access to Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu for $13.99/month (Hulu w/ads) or $19.99/month (Hulu w/o ads).
That seems to mean Hulu is $6/mo and ESPN+ is $6/mo. If you want both you either pay $12/mo or $2 more for the Disney Bundle.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:05 am

I watch ESPN+ more than I watch regular ESPN, especially in the football season. If you don't subscribe, you should in the fall anyway. It's a good way to watch a lot of smaller schools' games. But as has been mentioned before, ESPN has nothing to do with the production and often it's just as bad as what we see on Pluto. Other than paying for ESPN+, I think this will be just like Pluto as far as access goes for people outside of Montana. Hopefully SWX can still pick up home games and get a halfway decent production. Maybe that's part of why Chris Beyers retired last week though. I'll definitely miss Root for Cat-Griz...I'm sure there's no way ESPN is letting them have that game or any other.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:09 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:04 am
bobcatbob wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:01 am
Per the press release:
Fans sign up to ESPN+ for just $5.99 a month (or $59.99 per year) at ESPN.com, ESPNplus.com or on the ESPN App (mobile and connected devices). It is also available as part of The Disney Bundle that gives subscribers access to Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu for $13.99/month (Hulu w/ads) or $19.99/month (Hulu w/o ads).
That seems to mean Hulu is $6/mo and ESPN+ is $6/mo. If you want both you either pay $12/mo or $2 more for the Disney Bundle.
Don't forget that you'll also need a subscription to ESPNU if the Cats are picked up for those games.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:10 am

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:04 am
And for those cable cutters, ESPN+ is $5.99 a month.
Yep....I've had this for years. The downside is that I don't believe this includes ESPNU.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:10 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:45 am
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:43 am
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:33 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:21 am
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:28 am
As a cable "cord cutter" I think this is great news. Not only will games available to anyone across the country, but it seems like they could be available on demand to re-watch.

I think Root has done a nice job, but I think ESPN+ provides greater access.
As someone that lived in Eastern Montana for years I can't tell you how unbelievably annoying it was to not be able to watch Bobcat games. We had a bar/restaurant with people in it FOR THE GAME and we couldn't get it.

This is a great step IMO.
Hopefully we don't have any games on ESPN U.....that's just annoying.
You might not want to read there press release then.
Sam Herder is assuming Cat/griz will be one of the ESPN U games (a good assumption).
Maybe but i wouldn't be sure. Cat/Griz is one of many big rivalry games that weekend. There will be a lot of big time rivalries with much larger viewing audiences that day. I could see a late October game with MSU vs. Weber or early Nov at Eastern because both teams are top 10 getting the bump. If it was though I wonder if ESPN would or could dictate a start time? The noon kickoff tradition over? Imagine a 10 AM kickoff? or worse a 7PM? Dont take your kid to that one.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:13 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:10 am
coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
As a cable "cord cutter" I think this is great news. Not only will games available to anyone across the country, but it seems like they could be available on demand to re-watch.

As someone that lived in Eastern Montana for years I can't tell you how unbelievably annoying it was to not be able to watch Bobcat games. We had a bar/restaurant with people in it FOR THE GAME and we couldn't get it.

Sam Herder is assuming Cat/griz will be one of the ESPN U games (a good assumption).
Maybe but i wouldn't be sure. Cat/Griz is one of many big rivalry games that weekend. There will be a lot of big time rivalries with much larger viewing audiences that day. I could see a late October game with MSU vs. Weber or early Nov at Eastern because both teams are top 10 getting the bump. If it was though I wonder if ESPN would or could dictate a start time? The noon kickoff tradition over? Imagine a 10 AM kickoff? or worse a 7PM? Dont take your kid to that one.
I think Cat/Griz and other games will still be on Root. I think the ESPN deal is in addition to Root.....basically just taking the place of pluto.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:22 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:13 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:10 am
coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I think Cat/Griz and other games will still be on Root. I think the ESPN deal is in addition to Root.....basically just taking the place of pluto.
Sure would be nice if someone at the BSC would explain the full media landscape for the 2021/2022 year.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:34 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:45 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:53 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:47 pm
Saw on a different site that BSC is moving to ESPN+ This fall. Done deal. My experience with ESPN + isn’t entirely positive. I still hope we get Root for big games. They do a pretty good job imo.
Yeah, moving to ESPN+ doesn’t do anything about the quality of the broadcasts. Moving networks just means we have to pay to watch the Cats instead of watching for free on Pluto.
"Pay" to watch :-k
I got rid of cable but will gladly pay the $10/month to stream ESPN if it means 8 or so Bobcat games instead of hoping I get one of the 14 Pluto clean feeds so I don’t have to see a green screen for half the game.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:12 pm

Right now we use Sling but will probably go over to TDS. Their one package has Root Northwest, ESPN ans ESPNU. Hopefully Root will cover everything or I end up going to Caddyshack and watching on their dime. They don't mind much as I will eat and have a couple of adult beverages.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:58 am

RickRund wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:12 pm
Right now we use Sling but will probably go over to TDS. Their one package has Root Northwest, ESPN ans ESPNU. Hopefully Root will cover everything or I end up going to Caddyshack and watching on their dime. They don't mind much as I will eat and have a couple of adult beverages.
I've never heard of TDS....Is that a dish thing?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:06 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:58 am
RickRund wrote:
It is a full fiber internet, tv and phone service. Not sure but the phone is a "land line" and might be voip. Our speeds are FAST. They have a 1 gig up, a 600/400 or a 300/300 service. We have the 600/400 package but they will be downgrading us to the 300/300 as my phone chipset can get us to about 275/250. Haven't checked the PC. TV packages are pretty darned good.
Big in some parts of the country and quite a few places in Idaho.
Our Spectrum was good but nothing like TDS.

msubobcats@outlook.com

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:43 pm

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:36 pm

The brand is recognizable, but the conference has minimal games on the main channels. I dont see a major difference in exposure until we can get a game of the week on the primary channels carried by cable and satellite companies. 1 have on ESPNU live. Will this help us get more replays on there

Sports is not bigger than life

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:52 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:36 pm
The brand is recognizable, but the conference has minimal games on the main channels. I dont see a major difference in exposure until we can get a game of the week on the primary channels carried by cable and satellite companies. 1 have on ESPNU live. Will this help us get more replays on there
And where we were once able to watch every game on Pluto now it will be limited to a few games a year. Is that correct?

msubobcats@outlook.com

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:16 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:52 pm
tetoncat wrote:
And where we were once able to watch every game on Pluto now it will be limited to a few games a year. Is that correct?
You raise a similar question that was on my mind. Previously I was able to watch/scout an upcoming opponent by watching their previous week games live on Pluto or like with basketball games, watch the next day on Watch Big Sky. If someone else knows those details please share. Thanks.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:31 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:52 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Instead of Pluto, the games are now on ESPN+ and there may be a game on ESPNU.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:46 am

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:58 am
RickRund wrote:
It’s a Spectrum-type cable company. It’s what we have here in So. Nevada. It’s been a rock-solid service.

However, because of cost I just dropped the TDS cable package for YouTube TV. Very happy with that so far. Tried Hulu TV first and it was a confusing mess. YouTube TV is very easy to navigate, and adding things to your recording library is almost too easy. Pick something like one US Open Golf time slot, and you get a choice of just one, all US Open play, all US Open related coverage, all USGA events, etc. Sweet.