Wood in portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
User avatar
catatac
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6684
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: Wood in portal

Post by catatac » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:38 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:07 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:05 pm
asstastic wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:46 pm
He graduated. His commitment is over. My view.
That is the only reason I am not overly bitter about this one.... I hate that he left, and personally think it was a big mistake on his part... but he graduated, so it’s hard to ask for much more then that.
Why do you think it’s a “big mistake?” The odds of making the NFL from MSU are minuscule. Two players drafted in the last 20 years isn’t exactly an NFL pipeline, if that’s his goal.

I also don’t recall people being mad at Beau Sandland transferring to MSU.
I'd say a player on an average O Line for an average FBS team isn't exactly an NFL pipeline either. Not trying to be argumentative, I am happy for the kid and wish him the best. I'm just of the opinion that if you're an NFL caliber player, you'll get your chance regardless of what college you play at.


Great time to be a BOBCAT!

User avatar
catatac
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6684
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: Wood in portal

Post by catatac » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:29 pm

I have a question for the folks that think a players odds go up significantly if they play in the FBS. If Troy Andersen has a goal of playing in the NFL, would you recommend to him that he should leave MSU and try to get to a bigger school?


Great time to be a BOBCAT!

User avatar
catsrback76
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7638
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:18 am
Location: Sitting on the hill looking at the Adriatic!

Re: Wood in portal

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:22 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:29 pm
I have a question for the folks that think a players odds go up significantly if they play in the FBS. If Troy Andersen has a goal of playing in the NFL, would you recommend to him that he should leave MSU and try to get to a bigger school?
Nope, play where you feel comfortable. He's on everyone's radar as a prospect...doesn't matter 1 bit that he's living in Bozeman. Now, onto the next subject!

Congrats Connor, hope you do well! =D^



User avatar
Montanabob
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1816
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: Wood in portal

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:48 pm

Can an admin lock this thread. I'm tired of the crap people are putting on this post


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4415
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Wood in portal

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:24 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:15 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:20 pm
ND0479 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:12 pm
All the frustration is so irrelevant. It’s a kid that gave you everything he had and now has opportunity to go play at where he probably dreamed of playing in HS. Players don’t owe the fans anything...that’s the delusion of fandom.
My feelings are that MSU offered a scholarship when these other schools weren’t there. They gave development, an education, playing time, etc, and received good quality play. I just hate that this is becoming more and more normal. It degrades what MSU is.
Have you ever been offered a job when you were young, made all of your quotas/benchmarks, excelled in all ways, and then left for what you perceive to be a better opportunity when management changed?

If so, you’re being completely hypocritical. Or maybe you’ve stayed at the same job your entire life, which is admirable but to me, the sign of a lack of ambition to better your career.

PS

Had to liven this places up a bit. Going from the Big Sky to the SEC is like leaving your first job at a small tech company for more money at Google or Microsoft. I never get the resentment when players who graduated, especially during a coaching change, try to improve their career.

Seems small-town to me in a way. Some people like to experience other opportunities, even if it means leaving small programs in small states or small companies for larger companies. I remember back when you were blaming McGhee for being a Pike and supposedly a bad influence in the locker room. That was unreal.
I really don’t want to get into this again, but I was then and still am friends with D and a lot of other players on the football team. There were problems related to what I talked about. You don’t have to believe me, I don’t care. Ask Vim, he probably knows too.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5173
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Wood in portal

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:58 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:07 pm


I also don’t recall people being mad at Beau Sandland transferring to MSU.
Funny how that works huh? I’d go a step farther and say I don’t recall a single time anyone voiced any displeasure with someone who transferred to MSU. Seems odd…. :-^



BleedingBLue
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3330
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: Wood in portal

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:40 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:58 pm
PapaG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:07 pm


I also don’t recall people being mad at Beau Sandland transferring to MSU.
Funny how that works huh? I’d go a step farther and say I don’t recall a single time anyone voiced any displeasure with someone who transferred to MSU. Seems odd…. :-^
This isn't the first time this has been said in this thread.

It's not the same thing. Those guys transferring in aren't leaving starting spots to come play for MSU. Sterk was never going to see the field at UW. Neither was Amandre. Jonsen went to a JC first I believe and never would have played a snap at Oregon, at least not at QB. Sandland played sparingly at Miami. Alleyene wasn't starting at VT. The list goes on and on.

To be clear I love having transfers come in and succeed and I hate seeing our best guys leave. I'm simply saying the above because it's a silly comparison.



User avatar
mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4609
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:44 pm

Re: Wood in portal

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:24 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:40 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:58 pm
PapaG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:07 pm


I also don’t recall people being mad at Beau Sandland transferring to MSU.
Funny how that works huh? I’d go a step farther and say I don’t recall a single time anyone voiced any displeasure with someone who transferred to MSU. Seems odd…. :-^
This isn't the first time this has been said in this thread.

It's not the same thing. Those guys transferring in aren't leaving starting spots to come play for MSU. Sterk was never going to see the field at UW. Neither was Amandre. Jonsen went to a JC first I believe and never would have played a snap at Oregon, at least not at QB. Sandland played sparingly at Miami. Alleyene wasn't starting at VT. The list goes on and on.

To be clear I love having transfers come in and succeed and I hate seeing our best guys leave. I'm simply saying the above because it's a silly comparison.

Thank you!!! The comparisons are ridiculous.


FTG- GO CATS GO!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5173
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Wood in portal

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:11 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:24 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:40 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:58 pm
PapaG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:07 pm


I also don’t recall people being mad at Beau Sandland transferring to MSU.
Funny how that works huh? I’d go a step farther and say I don’t recall a single time anyone voiced any displeasure with someone who transferred to MSU. Seems odd…. :-^
This isn't the first time this has been said in this thread.

It's not the same thing. Those guys transferring in aren't leaving starting spots to come play for MSU. Sterk was never going to see the field at UW. Neither was Amandre. Jonsen went to a JC first I believe and never would have played a snap at Oregon, at least not at QB. Sandland played sparingly at Miami. Alleyene wasn't starting at VT. The list goes on and on.

To be clear I love having transfers come in and succeed and I hate seeing our best guys leave. I'm simply saying the above because it's a silly comparison.

Thank you!!! The comparisons are ridiculous.
They’re not ridiculous in the context of this conversation. Regardless of playing time, starting or not starting, leaving for education or a shot at the NFL. Doesn’t matter. The fact remains kids are going to do what they think is best for them. And as a fanbase we’re all about that decision when a kid thinks what’s best for him is coming to MSU. When that decision is leaving MSU, suddenly he is selfish, not a team player and a “snowflake”.

No big deal. Not worth me arguing as I’ll have the kids back in this 100 of 100 times.



User avatar
PapaG
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6623
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:44 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Wood in portal

Post by PapaG » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:54 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:24 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:40 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:58 pm
PapaG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:07 pm


I also don’t recall people being mad at Beau Sandland transferring to MSU.
Funny how that works huh? I’d go a step farther and say I don’t recall a single time anyone voiced any displeasure with someone who transferred to MSU. Seems odd…. :-^
This isn't the first time this has been said in this thread.

It's not the same thing. Those guys transferring in aren't leaving starting spots to come play for MSU. Sterk was never going to see the field at UW. Neither was Amandre. Jonsen went to a JC first I believe and never would have played a snap at Oregon, at least not at QB. Sandland played sparingly at Miami. Alleyene wasn't starting at VT. The list goes on and on.

To be clear I love having transfers come in and succeed and I hate seeing our best guys leave. I'm simply saying the above because it's a silly comparison.

Thank you!!! The comparisons are ridiculous.
So it only matters when players who are getting playing time leave. The bench players don’t matter when they abandon their teammates and commitment to a university because ... why? As for transfers into the program, they are taking playing time away from current players on the roster who are loyal. That apparently doesn’t matter to you, it’s all about the best players and if someone like Rovig loses his spot to a transfer like McKay, welp, those are the breaks, kiddo. Good luck and we’re pulling your scholarship money so you may want to look elsewhere in many instances.

Really tells me all I need to know. Good players should be obligated to stay for their teammates, bench players, good riddance if someone better transfers into the program! Hilariously inconsistent.

My opinion is the same as @ilovethecats and always has been. I back whatever the student-athlete wants to do, it’s their life and dumping on a 19-22 year-old for pursuing different opportunities seems immature to me as an adult who has transferred colleges when I was 18 and jobs after college.


Greg K.

BleedingBLue
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3330
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: Wood in portal

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:50 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:54 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:24 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:40 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:58 pm
PapaG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:07 pm


I also don’t recall people being mad at Beau Sandland transferring to MSU.
Funny how that works huh? I’d go a step farther and say I don’t recall a single time anyone voiced any displeasure with someone who transferred to MSU. Seems odd…. :-^
This isn't the first time this has been said in this thread.

It's not the same thing. Those guys transferring in aren't leaving starting spots to come play for MSU. Sterk was never going to see the field at UW. Neither was Amandre. Jonsen went to a JC first I believe and never would have played a snap at Oregon, at least not at QB. Sandland played sparingly at Miami. Alleyene wasn't starting at VT. The list goes on and on.

To be clear I love having transfers come in and succeed and I hate seeing our best guys leave. I'm simply saying the above because it's a silly comparison.

Thank you!!! The comparisons are ridiculous.
So it only matters when players who are getting playing time leave. The bench players don’t matter when they abandon their teammates and commitment to a university because ... why? As for transfers into the program, they are taking playing time away from current players on the roster who are loyal. That apparently doesn’t matter to you, it’s all about the best players and if someone like Rovig loses his spot to a transfer like McKay, welp, those are the breaks, kiddo. Good luck and we’re pulling your scholarship money so you may want to look elsewhere in many instances.

Really tells me all I need to know. Good players should be obligated to stay for their teammates, bench players, good riddance if someone better transfers into the program! Hilariously inconsistent.

My opinion is the same as @ilovethecats and always has been. I back whatever the student-athlete wants to do, it’s their life and dumping on a 19-22 year-old for pursuing different opportunities seems immature to me as an adult who has transferred colleges when I was 18 and jobs after college.
Your posts go so far to the extreme of one side all the time it's comical. Nobody had said anything about not being bummed about bench or depth players leaving. If anything it's more understandable for them because they want to play. And name a guy who came in, won a starting job and forced a former starter to lose his scholarship as you outlined above with the McKay and Rovig scenario. Whether Rovig starts or not he isn't losing his scholarship.

Neither myself or mslacatfan were dumping on anyone. In general no dumping has been done in this thread. People have voiced their opinion on the topic both for and against this. If you think players transferring in who were getting no playing time at their former school is comparable to a starter here transferring out to go to a FBS school is the same, you're wrong.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5173
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Wood in portal

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:36 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:50 pm
PapaG wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:54 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:24 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:40 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:58 pm
PapaG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:07 pm


I also don’t recall people being mad at Beau Sandland transferring to MSU.
Funny how that works huh? I’d go a step farther and say I don’t recall a single time anyone voiced any displeasure with someone who transferred to MSU. Seems odd…. :-^
This isn't the first time this has been said in this thread.

It's not the same thing. Those guys transferring in aren't leaving starting spots to come play for MSU. Sterk was never going to see the field at UW. Neither was Amandre. Jonsen went to a JC first I believe and never would have played a snap at Oregon, at least not at QB. Sandland played sparingly at Miami. Alleyene wasn't starting at VT. The list goes on and on.

To be clear I love having transfers come in and succeed and I hate seeing our best guys leave. I'm simply saying the above because it's a silly comparison.

Thank you!!! The comparisons are ridiculous.
So it only matters when players who are getting playing time leave. The bench players don’t matter when they abandon their teammates and commitment to a university because ... why? As for transfers into the program, they are taking playing time away from current players on the roster who are loyal. That apparently doesn’t matter to you, it’s all about the best players and if someone like Rovig loses his spot to a transfer like McKay, welp, those are the breaks, kiddo. Good luck and we’re pulling your scholarship money so you may want to look elsewhere in many instances.

Really tells me all I need to know. Good players should be obligated to stay for their teammates, bench players, good riddance if someone better transfers into the program! Hilariously inconsistent.

My opinion is the same as @ilovethecats and always has been. I back whatever the student-athlete wants to do, it’s their life and dumping on a 19-22 year-old for pursuing different opportunities seems immature to me as an adult who has transferred colleges when I was 18 and jobs after college.
Your posts go so far to the extreme of one side all the time it's comical. Nobody had said anything about not being bummed about bench or depth players leaving. If anything it's more understandable for them because they want to play. And name a guy who came in, won a starting job and forced a former starter to lose his scholarship as you outlined above with the McKay and Rovig scenario. Whether Rovig starts or not he isn't losing his scholarship.

Neither myself or mslacatfan were dumping on anyone. In general no dumping has been done in this thread. People have voiced their opinion on the topic both for and against this. If you think players transferring in who were getting no playing time at their former school is comparable to a starter here transferring out to go to a FBS school is the same, you're wrong.
Obviously I don’t think he’s wrong at all. It’s just what criteria fans use to determine if a transfer is “legit” or “fair” instead of giving up on teammates.

Our football team and basketball teams have gotten many players over the years from lower divisions and jucos that were starters on their team before “abandoning” their teams to take a stab at a higher level. We love giving those guys and I can’t recall ever not wanting one of them because they quit on their teams.

You have your criteria on what you deem to be correct in regards to these players and other fans have different criteria. I don’t see how one opinion is wrong and one is right?



BleedingBLue
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3330
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: Wood in portal

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:54 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:36 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:50 pm
PapaG wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:54 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:24 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:40 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:58 pm
PapaG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:07 pm


I also don’t recall people being mad at Beau Sandland transferring to MSU.
Funny how that works huh? I’d go a step farther and say I don’t recall a single time anyone voiced any displeasure with someone who transferred to MSU. Seems odd…. :-^
This isn't the first time this has been said in this thread.

It's not the same thing. Those guys transferring in aren't leaving starting spots to come play for MSU. Sterk was never going to see the field at UW. Neither was Amandre. Jonsen went to a JC first I believe and never would have played a snap at Oregon, at least not at QB. Sandland played sparingly at Miami. Alleyene wasn't starting at VT. The list goes on and on.

To be clear I love having transfers come in and succeed and I hate seeing our best guys leave. I'm simply saying the above because it's a silly comparison.

Thank you!!! The comparisons are ridiculous.
So it only matters when players who are getting playing time leave. The bench players don’t matter when they abandon their teammates and commitment to a university because ... why? As for transfers into the program, they are taking playing time away from current players on the roster who are loyal. That apparently doesn’t matter to you, it’s all about the best players and if someone like Rovig loses his spot to a transfer like McKay, welp, those are the breaks, kiddo. Good luck and we’re pulling your scholarship money so you may want to look elsewhere in many instances.

Really tells me all I need to know. Good players should be obligated to stay for their teammates, bench players, good riddance if someone better transfers into the program! Hilariously inconsistent.

My opinion is the same as @ilovethecats and always has been. I back whatever the student-athlete wants to do, it’s their life and dumping on a 19-22 year-old for pursuing different opportunities seems immature to me as an adult who has transferred colleges when I was 18 and jobs after college.
Your posts go so far to the extreme of one side all the time it's comical. Nobody had said anything about not being bummed about bench or depth players leaving. If anything it's more understandable for them because they want to play. And name a guy who came in, won a starting job and forced a former starter to lose his scholarship as you outlined above with the McKay and Rovig scenario. Whether Rovig starts or not he isn't losing his scholarship.

Neither myself or mslacatfan were dumping on anyone. In general no dumping has been done in this thread. People have voiced their opinion on the topic both for and against this. If you think players transferring in who were getting no playing time at their former school is comparable to a starter here transferring out to go to a FBS school is the same, you're wrong.
Obviously I don’t think he’s wrong at all. It’s just what criteria fans use to determine if a transfer is “legit” or “fair” instead of giving up on teammates.

Our football team and basketball teams have gotten many players over the years from lower divisions and jucos that were starters on their team before “abandoning” their teams to take a stab at a higher level. We love giving those guys and I can’t recall ever not wanting one of them because they quit on their teams.

You have your criteria on what you deem to be correct in regards to these players and other fans have different criteria. I don’t see how one opinion is wrong and one is right?
It's not an opinion that guys transferring in to actually see the field is different than a starter transferring out to play at a higher level. It's a fact that those transfers are happening for different reasons, at least football wise anyway. One is transferring to get playing time, the other is transferring from a place where he played every down to a higher level for whatever his reason may be. Two different things.

I've always hated transfer rules where a guy is allowed to move on and immediately play. Is it great when it works out in our favor? Definitely, but I still hate the rule. I don't fault Connor one bit for leaving, especially since he graduated and he's well within the rules. I understand that young men sometimes go "crap this isn't where I want to be" and need a change. But in general these days transfers are happening because a guy didn't win a starting job as a freshman, maybe a sophomore, or coach brought in competition for him when he's an upper classman. When it happens at the same level that really bugs me. Like Justin Fields leaving Georgia because he was mad he didn't start freshman year.



bobcat99
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4415
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Wood in portal

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:04 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:36 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:50 pm
PapaG wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:54 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:24 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:40 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:58 pm
PapaG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:07 pm


I also don’t recall people being mad at Beau Sandland transferring to MSU.
Funny how that works huh? I’d go a step farther and say I don’t recall a single time anyone voiced any displeasure with someone who transferred to MSU. Seems odd…. :-^
This isn't the first time this has been said in this thread.

It's not the same thing. Those guys transferring in aren't leaving starting spots to come play for MSU. Sterk was never going to see the field at UW. Neither was Amandre. Jonsen went to a JC first I believe and never would have played a snap at Oregon, at least not at QB. Sandland played sparingly at Miami. Alleyene wasn't starting at VT. The list goes on and on.

To be clear I love having transfers come in and succeed and I hate seeing our best guys leave. I'm simply saying the above because it's a silly comparison.

Thank you!!! The comparisons are ridiculous.
So it only matters when players who are getting playing time leave. The bench players don’t matter when they abandon their teammates and commitment to a university because ... why? As for transfers into the program, they are taking playing time away from current players on the roster who are loyal. That apparently doesn’t matter to you, it’s all about the best players and if someone like Rovig loses his spot to a transfer like McKay, welp, those are the breaks, kiddo. Good luck and we’re pulling your scholarship money so you may want to look elsewhere in many instances.

Really tells me all I need to know. Good players should be obligated to stay for their teammates, bench players, good riddance if someone better transfers into the program! Hilariously inconsistent.

My opinion is the same as @ilovethecats and always has been. I back whatever the student-athlete wants to do, it’s their life and dumping on a 19-22 year-old for pursuing different opportunities seems immature to me as an adult who has transferred colleges when I was 18 and jobs after college.
Your posts go so far to the extreme of one side all the time it's comical. Nobody had said anything about not being bummed about bench or depth players leaving. If anything it's more understandable for them because they want to play. And name a guy who came in, won a starting job and forced a former starter to lose his scholarship as you outlined above with the McKay and Rovig scenario. Whether Rovig starts or not he isn't losing his scholarship.

Neither myself or mslacatfan were dumping on anyone. In general no dumping has been done in this thread. People have voiced their opinion on the topic both for and against this. If you think players transferring in who were getting no playing time at their former school is comparable to a starter here transferring out to go to a FBS school is the same, you're wrong.
Obviously I don’t think he’s wrong at all. It’s just what criteria fans use to determine if a transfer is “legit” or “fair” instead of giving up on teammates.

Our football team and basketball teams have gotten many players over the years from lower divisions and jucos that were starters on their team before “abandoning” their teams to take a stab at a higher level. We love giving those guys and I can’t recall ever not wanting one of them because they quit on their teams.

You have your criteria on what you deem to be correct in regards to these players and other fans have different criteria. I don’t see how one opinion is wrong and one is right?
Most Juco’s are two year schools. They’re designed to move on from, that’s the whole idea. Poor example.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5173
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Wood in portal

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:27 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:54 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:36 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:50 pm
PapaG wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:54 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:24 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:40 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:58 pm
PapaG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:07 pm


I also don’t recall people being mad at Beau Sandland transferring to MSU.
Funny how that works huh? I’d go a step farther and say I don’t recall a single time anyone voiced any displeasure with someone who transferred to MSU. Seems odd…. :-^
This isn't the first time this has been said in this thread.

It's not the same thing. Those guys transferring in aren't leaving starting spots to come play for MSU. Sterk was never going to see the field at UW. Neither was Amandre. Jonsen went to a JC first I believe and never would have played a snap at Oregon, at least not at QB. Sandland played sparingly at Miami. Alleyene wasn't starting at VT. The list goes on and on.

To be clear I love having transfers come in and succeed and I hate seeing our best guys leave. I'm simply saying the above because it's a silly comparison.

Thank you!!! The comparisons are ridiculous.
So it only matters when players who are getting playing time leave. The bench players don’t matter when they abandon their teammates and commitment to a university because ... why? As for transfers into the program, they are taking playing time away from current players on the roster who are loyal. That apparently doesn’t matter to you, it’s all about the best players and if someone like Rovig loses his spot to a transfer like McKay, welp, those are the breaks, kiddo. Good luck and we’re pulling your scholarship money so you may want to look elsewhere in many instances.

Really tells me all I need to know. Good players should be obligated to stay for their teammates, bench players, good riddance if someone better transfers into the program! Hilariously inconsistent.

My opinion is the same as @ilovethecats and always has been. I back whatever the student-athlete wants to do, it’s their life and dumping on a 19-22 year-old for pursuing different opportunities seems immature to me as an adult who has transferred colleges when I was 18 and jobs after college.
Your posts go so far to the extreme of one side all the time it's comical. Nobody had said anything about not being bummed about bench or depth players leaving. If anything it's more understandable for them because they want to play. And name a guy who came in, won a starting job and forced a former starter to lose his scholarship as you outlined above with the McKay and Rovig scenario. Whether Rovig starts or not he isn't losing his scholarship.

Neither myself or mslacatfan were dumping on anyone. In general no dumping has been done in this thread. People have voiced their opinion on the topic both for and against this. If you think players transferring in who were getting no playing time at their former school is comparable to a starter here transferring out to go to a FBS school is the same, you're wrong.
Obviously I don’t think he’s wrong at all. It’s just what criteria fans use to determine if a transfer is “legit” or “fair” instead of giving up on teammates.

Our football team and basketball teams have gotten many players over the years from lower divisions and jucos that were starters on their team before “abandoning” their teams to take a stab at a higher level. We love giving those guys and I can’t recall ever not wanting one of them because they quit on their teams.

You have your criteria on what you deem to be correct in regards to these players and other fans have different criteria. I don’t see how one opinion is wrong and one is right?
It's not an opinion that guys transferring in to actually see the field is different than a starter transferring out to play at a higher level. It's a fact that those transfers are happening for different reasons, at least football wise anyway. One is transferring to get playing time, the other is transferring from a place where he played every down to a higher level for whatever his reason may be. Two different things.

I've always hated transfer rules where a guy is allowed to move on and immediately play. Is it great when it works out in our favor? Definitely, but I still hate the rule. I don't fault Connor one bit for leaving, especially since he graduated and he's well within the rules. I understand that young men sometimes go "crap this isn't where I want to be" and need a change. But in general these days transfers are happening because a guy didn't win a starting job as a freshman, maybe a sophomore, or coach brought in competition for him when he's an upper classman. When it happens at the same level that really bugs me. Like Justin Fields leaving Georgia because he was mad he didn't start freshman year.
Justin fields transferring seemed to work very well for him. And the team he transferred to I guess to a lesser extent. Good for him and any student who makes a move athletically or academically to better himself.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5173
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: Wood in portal

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:30 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:04 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:36 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:50 pm
PapaG wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:54 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:24 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:40 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:58 pm
PapaG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:07 pm


I also don’t recall people being mad at Beau Sandland transferring to MSU.
Funny how that works huh? I’d go a step farther and say I don’t recall a single time anyone voiced any displeasure with someone who transferred to MSU. Seems odd…. :-^
This isn't the first time this has been said in this thread.

It's not the same thing. Those guys transferring in aren't leaving starting spots to come play for MSU. Sterk was never going to see the field at UW. Neither was Amandre. Jonsen went to a JC first I believe and never would have played a snap at Oregon, at least not at QB. Sandland played sparingly at Miami. Alleyene wasn't starting at VT. The list goes on and on.

To be clear I love having transfers come in and succeed and I hate seeing our best guys leave. I'm simply saying the above because it's a silly comparison.

Thank you!!! The comparisons are ridiculous.
So it only matters when players who are getting playing time leave. The bench players don’t matter when they abandon their teammates and commitment to a university because ... why? As for transfers into the program, they are taking playing time away from current players on the roster who are loyal. That apparently doesn’t matter to you, it’s all about the best players and if someone like Rovig loses his spot to a transfer like McKay, welp, those are the breaks, kiddo. Good luck and we’re pulling your scholarship money so you may want to look elsewhere in many instances.

Really tells me all I need to know. Good players should be obligated to stay for their teammates, bench players, good riddance if someone better transfers into the program! Hilariously inconsistent.

My opinion is the same as @ilovethecats and always has been. I back whatever the student-athlete wants to do, it’s their life and dumping on a 19-22 year-old for pursuing different opportunities seems immature to me as an adult who has transferred colleges when I was 18 and jobs after college.
Your posts go so far to the extreme of one side all the time it's comical. Nobody had said anything about not being bummed about bench or depth players leaving. If anything it's more understandable for them because they want to play. And name a guy who came in, won a starting job and forced a former starter to lose his scholarship as you outlined above with the McKay and Rovig scenario. Whether Rovig starts or not he isn't losing his scholarship.

Neither myself or mslacatfan were dumping on anyone. In general no dumping has been done in this thread. People have voiced their opinion on the topic both for and against this. If you think players transferring in who were getting no playing time at their former school is comparable to a starter here transferring out to go to a FBS school is the same, you're wrong.
Obviously I don’t think he’s wrong at all. It’s just what criteria fans use to determine if a transfer is “legit” or “fair” instead of giving up on teammates.

Our football team and basketball teams have gotten many players over the years from lower divisions and jucos that were starters on their team before “abandoning” their teams to take a stab at a higher level. We love giving those guys and I can’t recall ever not wanting one of them because they quit on their teams.

You have your criteria on what you deem to be correct in regards to these players and other fans have different criteria. I don’t see how one opinion is wrong and one is right?
Most Juco’s are two year schools. They’re designed to move on from, that’s the whole idea. Poor example.
That’s fair. Doesn’t change my opinion a bit. I love when we get transfers that will help our team. I don’t question why they transferred, nor do I care. When we lose a kid the same way, I may not love it for selfish reasons, but don’t have an issue with it. I’m completely fine with any college student doing whatever they think is best for them personally, and their future.



bobcat99
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4415
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Wood in portal

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:22 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:30 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:04 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:36 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:50 pm
PapaG wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:54 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:24 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:40 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:58 pm
PapaG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:07 pm


I also don’t recall people being mad at Beau Sandland transferring to MSU.
Funny how that works huh? I’d go a step farther and say I don’t recall a single time anyone voiced any displeasure with someone who transferred to MSU. Seems odd…. :-^
This isn't the first time this has been said in this thread.

It's not the same thing. Those guys transferring in aren't leaving starting spots to come play for MSU. Sterk was never going to see the field at UW. Neither was Amandre. Jonsen went to a JC first I believe and never would have played a snap at Oregon, at least not at QB. Sandland played sparingly at Miami. Alleyene wasn't starting at VT. The list goes on and on.

To be clear I love having transfers come in and succeed and I hate seeing our best guys leave. I'm simply saying the above because it's a silly comparison.

Thank you!!! The comparisons are ridiculous.
So it only matters when players who are getting playing time leave. The bench players don’t matter when they abandon their teammates and commitment to a university because ... why? As for transfers into the program, they are taking playing time away from current players on the roster who are loyal. That apparently doesn’t matter to you, it’s all about the best players and if someone like Rovig loses his spot to a transfer like McKay, welp, those are the breaks, kiddo. Good luck and we’re pulling your scholarship money so you may want to look elsewhere in many instances.

Really tells me all I need to know. Good players should be obligated to stay for their teammates, bench players, good riddance if someone better transfers into the program! Hilariously inconsistent.

My opinion is the same as @ilovethecats and always has been. I back whatever the student-athlete wants to do, it’s their life and dumping on a 19-22 year-old for pursuing different opportunities seems immature to me as an adult who has transferred colleges when I was 18 and jobs after college.
Your posts go so far to the extreme of one side all the time it's comical. Nobody had said anything about not being bummed about bench or depth players leaving. If anything it's more understandable for them because they want to play. And name a guy who came in, won a starting job and forced a former starter to lose his scholarship as you outlined above with the McKay and Rovig scenario. Whether Rovig starts or not he isn't losing his scholarship.

Neither myself or mslacatfan were dumping on anyone. In general no dumping has been done in this thread. People have voiced their opinion on the topic both for and against this. If you think players transferring in who were getting no playing time at their former school is comparable to a starter here transferring out to go to a FBS school is the same, you're wrong.
Obviously I don’t think he’s wrong at all. It’s just what criteria fans use to determine if a transfer is “legit” or “fair” instead of giving up on teammates.

Our football team and basketball teams have gotten many players over the years from lower divisions and jucos that were starters on their team before “abandoning” their teams to take a stab at a higher level. We love giving those guys and I can’t recall ever not wanting one of them because they quit on their teams.

You have your criteria on what you deem to be correct in regards to these players and other fans have different criteria. I don’t see how one opinion is wrong and one is right?
Most Juco’s are two year schools. They’re designed to move on from, that’s the whole idea. Poor example.
That’s fair. Doesn’t change my opinion a bit. I love when we get transfers that will help our team. I don’t question why they transferred, nor do I care. When we lose a kid the same way, I may not love it for selfish reasons, but don’t have an issue with it. I’m completely fine with any college student doing whatever they think is best for them personally, and their future.
So I know you’ve been addressing more people than me, so I’d just like to clarify my position a little.

I really have no issue with transferring. I do believe that someone transferring to hopefully get more playing time is different than a starter transferring. That’s apples to oranges in my mind. I whole heartedly believe in the right to transfer, but that doesn’t mean I always agree with the logic of it.

The whole point of this transfer in particular is about improving the chance at playing in the NFL. There is only one instance where I believe that can be correct, and that is that Wood will be playing against significantly better players in practice and games. As far as attention from scouts and what not, I don’t think it will make a significant difference. Sure, Missouri probably gets more scouts on a week to week basis, but MSU gets them too, and as we have seen time after time, if you’re good enough, they’ll find you. A D3 center just got drafted highly after not even playing a senior season. If you got the talent, chances are, they’ll see you.

So, in short, my problem isn’t with the transfer rules, it isn’t about the fairness, what’s right or wrong, I just really don’t agree with the logic of it. Am I right? Maybe. Maybe not. It’s just my opinion.



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 10543
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Upper Northwest WA
Contact:

Re: Wood in portal

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:03 am

Are we going to have this argument every single time a significant player transfers out of MSU?


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4415
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Wood in portal

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:13 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:03 am
Are we going to have this argument every single time a significant player transfers out of MSU?
Probably. Ideally, it won’t happen often.



Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6686
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:05 am

Re: Wood in portal

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:55 am

The main thing I got from this short article is that Purdue has picked up seven kids via the portal. I think this speaks well to kids looking at decent schools and thinking they can help turn around a program in a hurry.

https://saturdaytradition-com.cdn.amppr ... a-state%2F



Post Reply