November Run

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: November Run

Post by coloradocat » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:11 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:13 pm
Step II of the November run is in Greeley. Question: Have we ever won comfortably in Greeley? No matter the records, no matter the standings, it's always a struggle down there. The last time we played down there, after UNC missed a chip shot field goal, Chris Murray suddenly turned into to Aaron Rogers and led us into position for a walk off field goal for the win.
Natural grass. Bring your own energy-small stadium-smaller crowd. I'll be taking in the Greeley experience for the first time. Any other Bobcats fans gonna be there?
I'll be there rooting them on! There's always a strong showing by Bobcat fans in Greeley.

We always seem to allow this game to be closer than it should be. Hopefully we can build off of yesterday's game and the coaches play up UNC's win to get the guys motivated.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:28 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:46 pm
jgrilley406 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:16 am
You got to look who they’ve played. UNLV ran for 340 yards, Cal Poly is a rushing team, Weber is balanced but a more productive rushing team, even ISU had more yards rushing than passing against them. That defense isn’t even close to being one of the top defenses in the league. It goes Weber, Sac and I’d take the 2nd half of games Griz defensive team are the front runners. Like how we got another week where we can rest players who are banged up and give some younger players some experience like yesterday and build some momentum going into UC Davis and The Brawl and into the playoffs.
The Cats defensive starters have given up 1 TD in two games, and you'd take the griz D as third best?? WTH!!!
Ya I’m looking at the course of the whole season, not just a two game stretch, especially when one of those two teams is one of the bottom feeders of the division. The Griz defense have been lights out after halftime of every game minus the sac state game...we’re going to in for a battle since they’re strong against the rush, they just get beat through the air at times. But I mean it’s a toss up from the two I guess, the Griz defense gives up more yards but less points compared the the Bobcats defense.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:08 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:28 pm
the Griz defense gives up more yards but less points compared the the Bobcats defense.
No. No, they don’t give up less points than MSU.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:12 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
jgrilley406 wrote:
You got to look who they’ve played. UNLV ran for 340 yards, Cal Poly is a rushing team, Weber is balanced but a more productive rushing team, even ISU had more yards rushing than passing against them. That defense isn’t even close to being one of the top defenses in the league. It goes Weber, Sac and I’d take the 2nd half of games Griz defensive team are the front runners. Like how we got another week where we can rest players who are banged up and give some younger players some experience like yesterday and build some momentum going into UC Davis and The Brawl and into the playoffs.
The Cats defensive starters have given up 1 TD in two games, and you'd take the griz D as third best?? WTH!!!
Ya I’m looking at the course of the whole season, not just a two game stretch, especially when one of those two teams is one of the bottom feeders of the division. The Griz defense have been lights out after halftime of every game minus the sac state game...we’re going to in for a battle since they’re strong against the rush, they just get beat through the air at times. But I mean it’s a toss up from the two I guess, the Griz defense gives up more yards but less points compared the the Bobcats defense.
For me, the fact that our defense is getting healthier recently is more important than the 2 opponents. We played without our best CB for 6 games. TA looks to be getting healthier and better, as is Josh Hill which really helps solidify the only iffy part of the defense.

I expect the November defense to look more like they have the last couple weeks than they did earlier in the year.

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:27 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
jgrilley406 wrote:

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:33 pm

So far so good, two down and two to go.

For a team that "doesn't play well on the road", going against a Big Sky team that plays tough at home, the Cats certainly didn't let any outside noise get to them. We completely dominated that game in all phases. That was awesome to see! These games get tougher as we go though, so hopefully these Cats will keep improving game to game as they appear to doing right now. The November run is looking good so far.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:08 pm

catatac wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:33 pm

For a team that "doesn't play well on the road", going against a Big Sky team that plays tough at home, the Cats certainly didn't let any outside noise get to them. We completely dominated that game in all phases. That was awesome to see! These games get tougher as we go though, so hopefully these Cats will keep improving game to game as they appear to doing right now. The November run is looking good so far.
In your opinion- was that the cat’s most complete game this year?

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:56 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:08 pm
catatac wrote:

In your opinion- was that the cat’s most complete game this year?
Good question. Maybe?

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:22 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:11 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Step II of the November run is in Greeley. Question: Have we ever won comfortably in Greeley? No matter the records, no matter the standings, it's always a struggle down there. The last time we played down there, after UNC missed a chip shot field goal, Chris Murray suddenly turned into to Aaron Rogers and led us into position for a walk off field goal for the win.
Natural grass. Bring your own energy-small stadium-smaller crowd. I'll be taking in the Greeley experience for the first time. Any other Bobcats fans gonna be there?
I'll be there rooting them on! There's always a strong showing by Bobcat fans in Greeley.

We always seem to allow this game to be closer than it should be. Hopefully we can build off of yesterday's game and the coaches play up UNC's win to get the guys motivated.
Looks like we picked the right year to go to Greeley. There was a nice contingent of Bobcat fans there. Not too many Bears fans-as expected, probably made worse by a lot of students being gone for the Veterans Day holiday. Their band did a good job.
A few thoughts on the Greeley experience-since North Dakota is leaving I think UNC becomes our second "rival" for Big Sky scheduling purposes, so games in Greeley will be become a semi-annual event.
First word of advice-don't stay in Greeley. It stinks...literally. There's feed lots, meat packing plants, dairy farms, and who knows what else all around. There's a very agro-aroma hanging in the air. I was told you can even smell it through the hotel room walls sometimes. Now, I like eating, so kudos to Greeley for its role in our food production, but wow-it smells bad there. We stayed in Denver-which I highly recommend. So much fun. The light rail system is really awesome.
Greeley, though being 10 times bigger, is a lot like Cheney, Washington and UNC is a lot like EWU-except their football team isn't so good. There's nothing going on there. Now I understand why the booster club had their Friday night fling in Fort Collins.
The stadium there is also a lot like EWU. Nice grandstand built into the hillside on one side, running track, and us visitors relegated to high school style bleachers opposite the main grandstand. But-they do have beer! $7 for a plastic cup, but despite that it looked like the Bobcat fans were putting a hurting on them-the concession stand was a busy little place.
The weather was beautiful-almost on the warm side of comfortable. It was nice Sunday too-then this morning...12 degrees and snowing! Crazy like around here sometimes. It was a great weekend-thanks to a decisive Bobcat win! Now onto Step III of the November run in Davis. Wish I could get to that one.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:27 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:22 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:11 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:

Looks like we picked the right year to go to Greeley. There was a nice contingent of Bobcat fans there. Not too many Bears fans-as expected, probably made worse by a lot of students being gone for the Veterans Day holiday. Their band did a good job.
A few thoughts on the Greeley experience-since North Dakota is leaving I think UNC becomes our second "rival" for Big Sky scheduling purposes, so games in Greeley will be become a semi-annual event.
First word of advice-don't stay in Greeley. It stinks...literally. There's feed lots, meat packing plants, dairy farms, and who knows what else all around. There's a very agro-aroma hanging in the air. I was told you can even smell it through the hotel room walls sometimes. Now, I like eating, so kudos to Greeley for its role in our food production, but wow-it smells bad there. We stayed in Denver-which I highly recommend. So much fun. The light rail system is really awesome.
Greeley, though being 10 times bigger, is a lot like Cheney, Washington and UNC is a lot like EWU-except their football team isn't so good. There's nothing going on there. Now I understand why the booster club had their Friday night fling in Fort Collins.
The stadium there is also a lot like EWU. Nice grandstand built into the hillside on one side, running track, and us visitors relegated to high school style bleachers opposite the main grandstand. But-they do have beer! $7 for a plastic cup, but despite that it looked like the Bobcat fans were putting a hurting on them-the concession stand was a busy little place.
The weather was beautiful-almost on the warm side of comfortable. It was nice Sunday too-then this morning...12 degrees and snowing! Crazy like around here sometimes. It was a great weekend-thanks to a decisive Bobcat win! Now onto Step III of the November run in Davis. Wish I could get to that one.
Awesome. Sounds like a great trip!

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:43 pm

catatac wrote:

Agree the November run started off well. Yet what have we learned so far.

COMBINED Southern Utah and Northern Colorado have 4 wins all season.

UC Davis has more wins than those two combined.

Montana has compiled twice as many wins as those two.

So despite coach's promises I'm still a skeptic. I'm waiting a few more weeks before declaring this a strong November team.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:29 pm

NorthernPlains wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:43 pm
catatac wrote:

So despite coach's promises I'm still a skeptic. I'm waiting a few more weeks before declaring this a strong November team.
While true, you can only plays the teams on your schedule. It's possible that real good teams just play real bad teams because one team is real good and the schedule has been final for years.

If we lose to those teams, or win narrowly that is an issue. But crushing bad teams that we've known we're playing since last year means nothing.

Nor do how many wins the griz have. Means absolutely nothing to us or how good we may or may not be.

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:55 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:29 pm
NorthernPlains wrote:
catatac wrote:

While true, you can only plays the teams on your schedule. It's possible that real good teams just play real bad teams because one team is real good and the schedule has been final for years.

If we lose to those teams, or win narrowly that is an issue. But crushing bad teams that we've known we're playing since last year means nothing.

Nor do how many wins the griz have. Means absolutely nothing to us or how good we may or may not be.

Certainly true that you only play who is on the schedule. I'm not criticizing that S Utah & N Colorado were played. In both cases it was very nice dominating wins. It is what should have happened and it did! Can't ask any more than that.

I'm only citing Davis & Montana's records as comparison to the wide talent gap between the teams just beaten and those left to play. The next two weeks will be informative. We'll learn if this is a true playoff team (even though I believe Cats are still "in" even with two losses). That is still the unanswered question here on Nov 11. I'll buy the "We're a November team" business when I see it. I guess all I'm saying is SUU & NCU were a good start but not real informative.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:22 pm

MSU's defense is playing very well. There are basically six areas to be good at in college football. Run game, pass game, run D, pass D, special teams and coaching. No one of the first four is any more important than the other. STs and coaching are little harder to quantify. Of all the units in the Big Sky, MSU's defense is probably in the top three. I would say SAC's coaching, Weber's defense and MSU's defense are the three best units in the conference. MSU has the best the run offense in the conference.

All that said, MSU can be exploited. The pass D is good, but did it shut down Cookus or was it just the wind? Can UCD or UM replicate what SAC did? MSU's pass game does little to compliment the run game. .

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:57 pm

NorthernPlains wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:55 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
NorthernPlains wrote:
catatac wrote:

Certainly true that you only play who is on the schedule. I'm not criticizing that S Utah & N Colorado were played. In both cases it was very nice dominating wins. It is what should have happened and it did! Can't ask any more than that.

I'm only citing Davis & Montana's records as comparison to the wide talent gap between the teams just beaten and those left to play. The next two weeks will be informative. We'll learn if this is a true playoff team (even though I believe Cats are still "in" even with two losses). That is still the unanswered question here on Nov 11. I'll buy the "We're a November team" business when I see it. I guess all I'm saying is SUU & NCU were a good start but not real informative.
Ah, I got ya. I agree with that. Saturday will tell us quite
a bit about what we’ll be bringing to the Brawl.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:28 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:57 pm
NorthernPlains wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:55 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
NorthernPlains wrote:
catatac wrote:

Ah, I got ya. I agree with that. Saturday will tell us quite
a bit about what we’ll be bringing to the Brawl.
Pain. We're bringing pain.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:11 am

Three down, one to go for the "Sweet" November Run. :lol: That team showed a lot of heart last night, we knew winning that one wasn't going to be easy. UC Davis is a good team. Two road wins in a row, and now we get to come back to Bozeman for the finale.

That game was so huge to continue the progression of this program under Choate. Now we're in the playoffs regardless of the Cat\Griz outcome. Colter said we "likely" punched ticket to playoffs, not sure why "likely" was needed, maybe that's just the professional way to state it. I don't think there is any mathematical possibility\scenario where the Bobcats don't make the playoffs.

So, four years in a row this team continues to improve under Choate. We're better this year than last year's team that won a playoff game. We seem to be getting better each game, although I know there is some discussion that perhaps SEMO was our best performance this year. Not sure about that, maybe, but what I do know is we have improved the past few games and if we play even slightly better against the Griz than what we say last night, we can beat the Griz for the fourth year in a row. Regardless of the outcome, it is awesome to know out season continues after the brawl. Also, we will win at least one playoff game again, probably more but it will depend on the bracketing. GO CATS!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:05 pm

UNC gave UND a pretty good game. Makes our performance there seen a little better but also reinforces the disappointment of that UND loss

Sports is not bigger than life

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:41 pm

catatac wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:11 am
Three down, one to go for the "Sweet" November Run. :lol: That team showed a lot of heart last night, we knew winning that one wasn't going to be easy. UC Davis is a good team. Two road wins in a row, and now we get to come back to Bozeman for the finale.

That game was so huge to continue the progression of this program under Choate. Now we're in the playoffs regardless of the Cat\Griz outcome. Colter said we "likely" punched ticket to playoffs, not sure why "likely" was needed, maybe that's just the professional way to state it. I don't think there is any mathematical possibility\scenario where the Bobcats don't make the playoffs.

So, four years in a row this team continues to improve under Choate. We're better this year than last year's team that won a playoff game. We seem to be getting better each game, although I know there is some discussion that perhaps SEMO was our best performance this year. Not sure about that, maybe, but what I do know is we have improved the past few games and if we play even slightly better against the Griz than what we say last night, we can beat the Griz for the fourth year in a row. Regardless of the outcome, it is awesome to know out season continues after the brawl. Also, we will win at least one playoff game again, probably more but it will depend on the bracketing. GO CATS!
IMO MSU has performed better in all three of the last three games than it has all season. The first eight games were all pretty sloppy. Even Norfolk.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:53 pm

From MSU:
Montana becomes Montana State’s seventh straight opponent to win the game before playing the Cats.

toM StUber