Griz steal a point from Sac. St. !!!!Literally!!!

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Griz steal a point from Sac. St. !!!!Literally!!!

Post by mslacat » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:34 pm

rtb

Post by rtb » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:39 pm

Interesting! That is always a bummer when the officials or scorekeepers influence the outcome of a game.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

Ponycat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Ponycat » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:43 pm

The Cheatin Grizzlies :!:

The devil made me do it the first time... the second time I done it on my own.

UMclassof2002
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by UMclassof2002 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:31 pm

That really sucks. The game is hard enough, you don't need people taking points away from you to make it any more difficult.

Potomac Griz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Potomac Griz » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:10 pm

Definitely disappointing that this happened. And it could've affected the outcome of the game too.

The officiating of last nights game was horrible all around...again...as usual. There were 2, possibly 3 goaltending non-calls (all for the good of Sac State) that were completely missed towards the end of the game. There were also, as usual, a ton of questionable calls throughout the game, whether it be a foul called on a Sac State player that did absolutely nothing, or a ticky-tac foul on a Griz player playing defense, while a sac state player mugs a Griz player underneath with no call. The bad calls went both ways..of course as a Griz fan I notice the bad calls that go against the Griz more than the calls that go against the opponents :) But I'm sure a true neutral viewer would have seen quite a few bad calls go against sac state too.

As for the point that was taken away...I'm still just baffled as to how something like that happens. I was there for the Griz game several years ago where the opposing team was given a extra point (when the shot actually tied it) which gave that team a win over the Griz. After much discussion on the sideline, they corrected the situation and the game went to OT, where the Griz won luckilly. Unfortunately they didn't correct this situation immediately, so we will never know how the game would've turned out.

Now, I honestly do think that the Griz would've still won. Sac lost their starting point guard shortly after (fouled out), and ...well..being a Griz fan I have to think the Griz still would've won :D But yeah, it's pretty sad something like this could happen. It wasn't intentional home cooking I'm sure, and could've easilly happened against the Griz (like it did in the past), but it's still sad when it does happen.

On a somewhat different subject, for several years now I've noticed some Huge problems with the official stat keeping at BB games. I'm not sure if it's as bad when the Griz are on the road (I imagine it is, and I have noticed problems with the stats on the road too) but here are some things I've noticed over the years for Griz home games.

First off: Against ISU in the first game. Slim Millien had several blocked shots (at least 6 or 7 I'd say, if not more), and was awarded what...4 total?
Second: Stuart Mayes against MSU had 3 rebounds almost in a row at one point in the first half, yet the stat sheet showed 1 at that same point. Where did the other 2 go? Who knows...
Third: Last year, a Griz player was awarded 3 points AND 3 rebounds when he hit a 3 pointer. I saw it change on the little scoreboard above the court, and kind of chuckled when I saw that he was given 3 rebounds instead of 3 points. And then they fixed the points to reflect his 3 pointer...but left the 3 rebounds (which had ticked up from 0 to 3 right after the shot). The end game stats, the player had 3 extra rebounds :P

Here is one that I noticed while the Griz played the cats on the road. This has to be my favorite, since it involved beating the cats on the road :) When Bryan Ellis picked Casey Durham's pocket for the 2nd time in a row.... It showed in the play by play as Bryan Ellis stealing the ball....with a turnover to not Casey Durham..but Jordan Hasquet :P So apparently Jordan Hasquet was playing point guard for the Cats at that point, and Bryan Ellis picked his pocket.. End result, Casey Durham has one less turnover than he should've, and Hasquet has one more turnover than he should've. All stats that really don't matter (like the point could've), but still annoy the hell out of me :)

I could go on and on (and I sort of already did), but I wish the stat keeping, and now the score keeping was a little more trustworthy :/

Swilly3224

Post by Swilly3224 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:48 pm

i love the pictures that dont make any sense...

12:49

Grizlaw
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Grizlaw » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:47 am

I thought bearbac's picture made a LOT of sense. In fact, I'd have to say that last post was definitely bearbac's best post ever. :D

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:26 am

So the people in Bozeman aren't that smart to think of that....... :P

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:54 pm

Caught coach K's weekend show on Sunday. thought he handled the situation well by apologizing for the scoring error and letting everyone know that the league is looking into it. I don't think that guy will be doing the official book ever again. Other than that, not much they can do at that point. I know when I ref at the highschool level and this happens, we compare home and away books to try to fix the situation. Another thing most people don't realize is that a scoring error can be corrected at any time during the game.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Swilly3224

Post by Swilly3224 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:45 am

bearBAC wrote:I hear from a buddy in Kalispel that El gato bitched so much on the internet about the refs, that he was relieved from his job as a High school Bball announcer - "superwhiner-[img]*Pic*[/img]
Then he saw Big Sky beat his Braves up.....hehehe

Grizlaw

Post by Grizlaw » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:20 pm

bearBAC wrote:I hear from a buddy in Kalispel that El gato bitched so much on the internet about the refs, that he was relieved from his job as a High school Bball announcer
Is that actually true?

I'm not sure what I think of that, if it is true. I understand that commentators have to be (sort of) impartial while they're on the air, but firing someone for posting opinions on an anonymous message board seems kind of lame.

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:52 pm

Well, it's sort of true.

It's becoming painfully obvious to me over 11+ years of broadcasting games that a # of referees in this state don't believe in the First Amendment.

The people involved in the complaint that resulted in my removal from the booth are skating on thin ice; there was no official complaint about my on-air performances, which is the ONLY AREA where they can officially affect my status. I apparently ruffled some feathers ONLINE by stating some very obvious facts that anyone who follows High School sports anywhere in America knows: There are good refs & there are bad ones.

The MHSA claims that all they did was essentially send a "form-letter" to School District 5 (the governing body for Flathead High) regarding sportsmanship, etc.; sounded pretty generic. Apparently, after a stink raised by a couple of very vocal refs in Missoula & Kalispell, District 5 threatened to cancel the contract with the radio station I provided commentary for which prompted the owner to ask me to temporarily step down.

Right now, I've got a lawyer friend researching (free of charge :wink: ) my potential options. Needless to say, this situation IS NOT OVER. I'll be damned if I'm going to let a couple of thin-skinned refs try to take away something I love doing just because I posted some comments on a blog site that are mild compared to comments no doubt made AT EVERY HIGH SCHOOL GAME IN THE STATE. It's mind-boggling to me that some people who become referees forget one simple fact about the job: No matter how perfect a game you call, there will ALWAYS be athletes, coaches, parents, and fans who feel you called a lousy game. The % of folks who feel that way obviously increases if they are on or support the LOSING team.

My personal feelings regarding certain referees/performances have NEVER gone across the airwaves, despite ample opportunity to do so over hundreds of games. Apparently, however, there is a small group of refs who seem to think that they should be above criticism at all times and I'm simply going to prove them wrong.

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

Yossarian
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Yossarian » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:14 pm

Would this lawyer friend be a grad of UM Law School?

Swilly3224

Post by Swilly3224 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:16 pm

Big Sky only won by 5 points....you still mad?

8)