bearBac apoligies for inflaming the kittens

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8743
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Post by kmax » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:31 pm

Guess that means that Montana can't call themselves Big Sky Champions either since for full season records they were in fact 9-4 but Northern Arizona was 10-4. All hail the Big Sky Champion Lumberjacks!

Oh wait, what's that you say, the Cats beat both Montana and Northern Arizona head to head? Interesting.


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Bozgriz

Post by Bozgriz » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:34 pm

Dude, 7-6 is nothing to be excited about...



User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8743
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Post by kmax » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:44 pm

Okay, you and other Griz fans have used that line many times and each time you get the same response from most all Cat fans. No, 7-6 is not stellar and no it was not good enough. But winning a second straight Championship and going to the playoffs for the second straight time was something to be excited about. So was watching last years team fight back from the early season hole they dug to show some real heart and determination in winning the Sky.

In summary, 7-6 is not good enough and we expect more, and hope for more this year. However in coming back from the early season losses to post some big wins in big games to win a championship gave all Cat fans something to be extremely proud of no matter what their final season won-loss record was. As far as comparison to the Griz or the 'Jacks, we may have had worse records overall, but we finished with the same conference record and we won the head to head against both.


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

User avatar
CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7764
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:37 am

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:48 pm

kmax wrote:Guess that means that Montana can't call themselves Big Sky Champions either since for full season records they were in fact 9-4 but Northern Arizona was 10-4. All hail the Big Sky Champion Lumberjacks!

Oh wait, what's that you say, the Cats beat both Montana and Northern Arizona head to head? Interesting.
Who has the two Trophies and autobid is all that matters. Griz fans cannot say anything as we beat them head to head the last 2 years (although they will come up with ALL KINDS of excuses). Just think when we pin 3 in a row on them this year what they are going to say? What can they come up with this year? There could be rioting in Missoula after the game when the CATS win at Washington Bobcat Stadium.



raincat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 843
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:07 pm

Post by raincat » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:27 pm

You guys tend to make all this very complicated. Basically, football is very easy. Such as...the *riz kickoff...Cory Smith runs for a touchdown. Simple as that.



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9709
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Post by CelticCat » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:39 pm

Cat fans are excited because our program is finally moving in the right direction. No one I know is satisfied with a 7-6 record. We are happy that we are continuing in the right direction and get better every year.

Basically, Griz fans are starting to feel threatened for the first time in a while, and they are lashing out at us. You can no longer just assume the brawl of the wild is an automatic W. You have to pay attention to us now. How many Griz fans here would have been posting had this message board been here 6 years ago? Not very many.

But now you are paying attention to us. You come here with your put downs, but basically you are just like a bully in 4th grade. Push us down to feel better about your program. Well let me tell you something. Bullies never prosper. We are on the rise. We will not be ignored any longer.

Don't be scared of the momentum this program is generating. Be scared of the momentum your program is losing.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

User avatar
Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3156
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:45 pm
Location: Billings
Contact:

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:58 pm

CelticCat wrote:Basically, Griz fans are starting to feel threatened for the first time in a while, and they are lashing out at us. You can no longer just assume the brawl of the wild is an automatic W. You have to pay attention to us now. How many Griz fans here would have been posting had this message board been here 6 years ago? Not very many.

But now you are paying attention to us. You come here with your put downs, but basically you are just like a bully in 4th grade. Push us down to feel better about your program. Well let me tell you something. Bullies never prosper. We are on the rise. We will not be ignored any longer.

Don't be scared of the momentum this program is generating. Be scared of the momentum your program is losing.
When you say "they are lashing out on us, you put everyone in that category". Not all Griz fans "lash" out. Second, you are right, the Cats are getting much better. However, a few years ago they had nowhere to go but up. I for one, am glad to see them getting better. The streak was making it less interesting. I disagree with your last sentence. The Griz are hardly losing momentum. Top 5 in all the polls, picked to win the Big sky for the umpteenth time, 11 staight playoff appearances, I could go on but you get the idea. I think it's great that both Montana schools are at or near the top of their football game.


My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

User avatar
SonomaCat
Moderator
Posts: 23951
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Contact:

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:09 pm

CTOWM has a really good point. Let's not fall into the trap of painting all Griz fans with one broad brush. Many (most?) Griz fans are actually very fair, interesting fans that are great to have around (except on one last second field goal after a stinkin' hail mary after a kick out of bounds that followed a hail mary touchdown that ended the first half... you get the idea).

In reality, there is a very small, but very vocal minority of obnoxious fans who have way too much self-worth tied a local football team who are feeling pretty threatened by the Bobcats current success within the conference and against the Griz.

I do agree, though, that it is way more fun to watch the low self-esteem types work harder and harder to come up with lame material to try to put down the Bobcats than it was several years ago when we were basically powerless to fight back in the mindless "my team is better than your team" jousts. Now, everybody knows that our team has been better than their team over the last two years (and that REALLY bothers some people). That's really cool.



62GRIZ
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:58 pm
Location: Swan Range east of Kalispell

Post by 62GRIZ » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:03 pm

Cat fans are excited because our program is finally moving in the right direction. No one I know is satisfied with a 7-6 record. We are happy that we are continuing in the right direction and get better every year.
I for the life of me can not figure out how the Cats figure they are heading in the 'right direction' when their record is stuck at 7-6 two years running! That looks like stagnation to the normal person. How was last year 'better' than the year before?! At least in 2002 you played McNeese tough in the first game of the playoffs, whereas last year it was a blowout loss to Northern Iowa. Do they teach logic over there in Bozoland? It's a good thing the Big Sky gets an autobid, otherwise you would have been sitting at home both years and a deserving team would not have been bumped out of the playoffs. EMBARRASSING! :oops:



User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8743
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Post by kmax » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:11 pm

62GRIZ wrote:
Cat fans are excited because our program is finally moving in the right direction. No one I know is satisfied with a 7-6 record. We are happy that we are continuing in the right direction and get better every year.
I for the life of me can not figure out how the Cats figure they are heading in the 'right direction' when their record is stuck at 7-6 two years running! That looks like stagnation to the normal person. How was last year 'better' than the year before?! At least in 2002 you played McNeese tough in the first game of the playoffs, whereas last year it was a blowout loss to Northern Iowa. Do they teach logic over there in Bozoland? It's a good thing the Big Sky gets an autobid, otherwise you would have been sitting at home both years and a deserving team would not have been bumped out of the playoffs. EMBARRASSING! :oops:
And again, we will turn Griz fan logic back around and apply it to the mighty Griz.

I for the life of me can not figure out how the Griz figure they are not heading in the 'wrong direction' when in they have gone from 15-1 and Nat. Champions in 2001, 11-3 and second round playoff exit in 2002, to 9-4 and an ugly home playoff loss in the first round in 2003. This looks like backsliding to the normal person.... :oops:


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9444
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Post by wbtfg » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:14 pm

Hasn't the griz record gotten progressively worse over the last few years? Not to mention that loss to a D-II team.

It's a good thing for at large bids, or the griz would have stayed home and watched the playoffs on tv.



User avatar
SonomaCat
Moderator
Posts: 23951
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Contact:

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:16 pm

62GRIZ wrote: I for the life of me can not figure out how the Cats figure they are heading in the 'right direction' when their record is stuck at 7-6 two years running! That looks like stagnation to the normal person. How was last year 'better' than the year before?! At least in 2002 you played McNeese tough in the first game of the playoffs, whereas last year it was a blowout loss to Northern Iowa. Do they teach logic over there in Bozoland? It's a good thing the Big Sky gets an autobid, otherwise you would have been sitting at home both years and a deserving team would not have been bumped out of the playoffs. EMBARRASSING! :oops:
I for the life of me can not figure out why anyone who wasn't a Bobcat fan would care if a Bobcat fan thought that his team was headed in the 'right direction.'
Last edited by SonomaCat on Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.



raincat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 843
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:07 pm

Post by raincat » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:17 pm

My view is the griz have maintained a high level of quality. During the '90's the BSC top half was dominated by the griz, Idaho, Boise St. and Nevada. I still don't feel the conference has, and maybe never will recover from those that have departed. To the griz credit they have maintained a high level of quality; hard to do when your coaching staff is moving on every 4 or so years. The rest of the conference, including us, is battling to replace the one's who left. In truth, on any given BSC Saturday I have to rate the griz as favorites and maybe NAU too. Other than that I don't think there are any "favorites". '04 and '05 are pivotal years for the Bobcats. We either climb to the next step or we end up living in the 6-7/7-6 twilight world.

GO CATS!!



User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8743
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Post by kmax » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:24 pm

raincat wrote:My view is the griz have maintained a high level of quality. During the '90's the BSC top half was dominated by the griz, Idaho, Boise St. and Nevada. I still don't feel the conference has, and maybe never will recover from those that have departed. To the griz credit they have maintained a high level of quality; hard to do when your coaching staff is moving on every 4 or so years. The rest of the conference, including us, is battling to replace the one's who left. In truth, on any given BSC Saturday I have to rate the griz as favorites and maybe NAU too. Other than that I don't think there are any "favorites". '04 and '05 are pivotal years for the Bobcats. We either climb to the next step or we end up living in the 6-7/7-6 twilight world.

GO CATS!!
Well said raincat, and for the most part I agree. However your post is entirely to serious and honest to be posted in the Smack Forum, please put on the nearest pair of blue n gold colored glasses for your next post. :wink: 8)


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8743
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Post by kmax » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:37 pm

bearBAC wrote:
raincat wrote:My view is the griz have maintained a high level of quality. During the '90's the BSC top half was dominated by the griz, Idaho, Boise St. and Nevada. I still don't feel the conference has, and maybe never will recover from those that have departed. To the griz credit they have maintained a high level of quality; hard to do when your coaching staff is moving on every 4 or so years. The rest of the conference, including us, is battling to replace the one's who left. In truth, on any given BSC Saturday I have to rate the griz as favorites and maybe NAU too. Other than that I don't think there are any "favorites". '04 and '05 are pivotal years for the Bobcats. We either climb to the next step or we end up living in the 6-7/7-6 twilight world.

GO CATS!!
Wellsaid rainCat!

KMax, Wbtfg, and yes even bac, "hate" to comment on the obvious truth, they would much rather change the subject. Admitting the truth wouldn't keep the cat's on the lofty false pedistal they placed them on.

Sometimes believing in a fantasy is way easier to live with than faceing the truth!
WoooHOOO, BearBAC finally included me in his list of Cat sugar-coaters. It is such a proud day for me. Does this mean I get invited to the wedding BBAC & BAC?


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

62GRIZ
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:58 pm
Location: Swan Range east of Kalispell

Post by 62GRIZ » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:22 pm

62GRIZ wrote:
Quote:
Cat fans are excited because our program is finally moving in the right direction. No one I know is satisfied with a 7-6 record. We are happy that we are continuing in the right direction and get better every year.



I for the life of me can not figure out how the Cats figure they are heading in the 'right direction' when their record is stuck at 7-6 two years running! That looks like stagnation to the normal person. How was last year 'better' than the year before?! At least in 2002 you played McNeese tough in the first game of the playoffs, whereas last year it was a blowout loss to Northern Iowa. Do they teach logic over there in Bozoland? It's a good thing the Big Sky gets an autobid, otherwise you would have been sitting at home both years and a deserving team would not have been bumped out of the playoffs. EMBARRASSING!

And again, we will turn Griz fan logic back around and apply it to the mighty Griz.

I for the life of me can not figure out how the Griz figure they are not heading in the 'wrong direction' when in they have gone from 15-1 and Nat. Champions in 2001, 11-3 and second round playoff exit in 2002, to 9-4 and an ugly home playoff loss in the first round in 2003. This looks like backsliding to the normal person....
Who the hell said ANYTHING about the direction of the GRIZ program? You're just changing the subject! I was just commenting on the "Cat fans are excited because our program is finally moving in the right direction." ... and, "We are happy that we are continuing in the right direction and get better every year." If you truly believe in fantasy then you have the right to your dream world - even if you are sadly mistaken! :D



User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8743
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Post by kmax » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:39 pm

62GRIZ wrote:
kmax wrote:
62GRIZ wrote: Cat fans are excited because our program is finally moving in the right direction. No one I know is satisfied with a 7-6 record. We are happy that we are continuing in the right direction and get better every year.



I for the life of me can not figure out how the Cats figure they are heading in the 'right direction' when their record is stuck at 7-6 two years running! That looks like stagnation to the normal person. How was last year 'better' than the year before?! At least in 2002 you played McNeese tough in the first game of the playoffs, whereas last year it was a blowout loss to Northern Iowa. Do they teach logic over there in Bozoland? It's a good thing the Big Sky gets an autobid, otherwise you would have been sitting at home both years and a deserving team would not have been bumped out of the playoffs. EMBARRASSING!


And again, we will turn Griz fan logic back around and apply it to the mighty Griz.

I for the life of me can not figure out how the Griz figure they are not heading in the 'wrong direction' when in they have gone from 15-1 and Nat. Champions in 2001, 11-3 and second round playoff exit in 2002, to 9-4 and an ugly home playoff loss in the first round in 2003. This looks like backsliding to the normal person....
Who the hell said ANYTHING about the direction of the GRIZ program? You're just changing the subject! I was just commenting on the "Cat fans are excited because our program is finally moving in the right direction." ... and, "We are happy that we are continuing in the right direction and get better every year." If you truly believe in fantasy then you have the right to your dream world - even if you are sadly mistaken! :D
I am not changine the subject, I am just trying to show how incredibly flawed your logic is. I am assuming that you would agree that the Griz are not horribly backsliding and going to continually get worse as a program, correct? Well by using the logic you are to say the Cats are not improving, that is exactly the conclusion one would come to when looking at the records of the last three Griz teams.

My point is that as much as BareBac wants it to be, record is NOT the only way to measure a team's progress, or lack thereof. Sure when you are talking about who wins the championship, records are pretty much it, but when you start talking about the team's direction and whether they are improving or declining, records don't always tell the whole story. You can think Cat fans are living in a fantasy world all you wamt, just don't be surprise when you wake up and find it wasn't a dream at all, and the Cats are playing at and above the level of the Griz.


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Post Reply