I just can't help myself.....

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

utucats
Member # Retired

I just can't help myself.....

Post by utucats » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:16 pm

I decided to look back through some of the QB debate posts now that we have an idea of what we have at QB1 and these are hilarious. I had to post. Some are just simple disagreements and differing opinions that ended up being wrong but some posters get pretty aggressive so I think its useful to point out how wrong they were.

More than anything, this thread is a shout out to my man PapaG who is the King:

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:17 pm

We lost once this season with a phantom holding call. Mellot isn’t the answer to people thinking he’d be better than McKay. You’re nuts if you truly believe that.

by PapaG » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:28 pm

So, is putting in a true freshman who has a five play playbook when the team is 7-1 and heading for a huge game in Cheney what you propose? That’s such a ridiculous take it makes me wonder if you’ve ever been on a team or in a locker room. If MSU lost the game using your idea, Vigen loses the locker room but that’s only in fantasy world. It’s such an unrealistic idea that you must be trolling.

by PapaG » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:36 pm

Vigen to Team: Hey guys, great win, we’ve won 7 games but those are behind us, let’s celebrate this one and focus on EWU starting tomorrow. Oh, and over the bye week we’re going to be rolling with Tommy as QB1 against EWU and for the rest of the year.

Team: Has coach lost his freaking mind? Who is this guy.

by PapaG » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:30 am

I’d hate to play QB under some of you armchair coaches. 7-1, 15/1 ratio, 65% completion rate in a vertical passing game, Top 10 ranking, and you bench me … I don’t get it. Lose the EWU game and you lose a lot of the veteran players with Mellot at QB.

by coloradocat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:51 am

The only reason anyone wants Tommy to be the QB is because he's from Montana. Sure, send him out there to mess with the defense a half dozen times per game but he's probably QB3 at best on this team. His real position this year is Travis Jonsen + (without the receiving)

by thefrank1 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:10 am

Contrary to claims on this thread, Mellot did throw yesterday and looked like a freshman who is no where near ready to play QB in D1 football.

by tetoncat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:49 am

Interesting that we haven't seen Mellot have to read a defense or look for the open receiver but some are ready for him. He is listed at fourth string. He will not be the next man up.

by PortlandCat90 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:05 pm

I have compiled many of the thoughts from this thread, pulled some facts and will send them to Coach V for his response. Here is my first draft:

Dear Coach:

WE ARE Bobcat Nation and have many concerns about our quarterbacking, specifically:

• We are 7-1 overall
• We are undefeated and in first place in the Big Sky at 5-0

Our QB is leading an offensive team that is/has:
o 2nd in the Big Sky in scoring
o 3rd in the Big Sky in total yardage
o 1st in the Big Sky in rushing yardage
o The leading rusher in the Big Sky

Our QB is:
o 2nd in the Big Sky in passing efficiency
o 2nd in the Big Sky in passing completion %
o 1st in the Big Sky in least passing interceptions
o 2nd in the Big Sky in passing touchdowns
o Showing strong leadership in what could be a strange season back

Several of Bobcat Nation have expressed concern and singled out our starting QB, noting that he is not good enough.

Please provide your input.

On behalf of Bobcat Nation,

PortlandCat90

P.S. I just re-read this letter and I do not think that I will send it to you at the risk of looking like a complete dumba$$. Please tell our QB that the rest of us in Bobcat Nation are proud of him, believe in him, and will ride along as he, his teammates and coaches take us where we are going.

by Cataholic » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:28 pm

Did you want to re-read the thread (like Montanabob comments) and think over your response again? I stand by my earlier comment that this thread (the critics of McKay specifically) are an embarrassment. The efficiency of McKay and the success of the team has been remarkable.

by catatac » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:02 pm

I have no problem whatsoever if posters want to criticize how a particular player is doing, pointing out things they can improve upon, etc. To each his own. What gets me though... is when people post things like, McKay is struggling, it's time for a change, put in Mellott. I'm sorry, but if people really believe that then they probably don't know much about how college football really works. He's QB4 for a reason. McKay is starting for a reason. He's starting because he's the best QB on the team and he give us the best opportunity to win games. I know this is true, because the coaches... you know, the people who watch and evaluate these kids almost non stop,y whose income and livelihoods depend on winning games... ya those guys, made that decision. I think I'll trust them.

by PapaG » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:32 pm

Yes yes, put in a freshman at QB who has two passes in his playbook, both in mass protection, as an audition for next year when you have Benson/Hardy/O’Reilly/Andersen/Williams as seniors on defense.

Vigen loses that game by benching McKay and Mellot struggles, he loses the team and I’d question his judgment as a coach.

It won’t happen, and we’ll never see this 11 post guy again.

Seems like something that Mike dude who got banned from Missoula games would say in a post

by PapaG » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:05 pm

Isn’t some of that on a game plan that insisted on running the ball up the middle against a run blitz and not once attempting a screen pass or TE over the middle route?

McKay will be starting in the Round of 16 and I’ll be called a “total ass” for not agreeing with this thread.

by onceacat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:09 pm

I've seen nothing in Vigens background that would make me think that he would bench the 9-1 starter for the freshman from Butte. That would be a massive roll of the dice for a guys who has show zero interest in ever gambling.

I guess more shocking things have happened, but I can't really imagine it

by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:46 pm

If Mellott "starts" the game because Vigen decides to screw with the other team by running the first series with his package QB, it's a wrinkle that could work, and I'll trust the coaches.

If Rovig is QB1 for the playoffs, I'll trust the coaches.

If Mellott is QB1 for the playoffs I'm ****** done with Vigen. Any coach should know that an effective passing game is essential in the playoffs. Completely giving up on the passing game is dumb. I saw enough non-throwing quarterbacks under Choate and I'm sick of it.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: I just can't help myself.....

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:18 pm

Hand up. I did not think Tommy was ready based off what I saw in the spring. I have zero problems with being wrong on that opinion!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:24 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:18 pm
Hand up. I did not think Tommy was ready based off what I saw in the spring. I have zero problems with being wrong on that opinion!
You wouldn't call someone a dumbass or question if they know anything about sports just for disagreeing with you VIM.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:27 pm

utucats wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:24 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
You wouldn't call someone a dumbass or question if they know anything about sports just for disagreeing with you VIM.
Not in public ;)

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:28 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:27 pm
utucats wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:24 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Not in public ;)
:lol:

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:28 pm

Most of us don't attend practice, maybe you do. Glad you can pat your self on the back for being so smart. Seems like some one wants to start another thread to drag up comments and create a pissing match. Just relax and enjoy the win. Since I had a post you quoted, this is a message board for people to share thoughts. They are not all going to be the same. Do you think if we had managed to beat the Griz, a change still would have been made. I don't. I think that gave the staff the chance to do it. But if he was learning the whole play book each week as the backup, why didn't we see some of these plays to avoid that loss and get a top 2 to 4 seed.

Sports is not bigger than life

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:39 pm

Some more:

by CelticCat » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:16 pm

We don’t go far in the playoffs with Tommy full time.

by Bobcat Sig » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:19 pm

Someone gets it.

He’s a great option. He is not the option

by coloradocat » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:24 pm

Tommy is good enough to beat a bad, non-playoff team. He's not winning us games all by himself in December

by NOCOcat2005 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:28 pm

Until Tommy learns to get rid of the football and that he isn't the only option, he's not an option for the starting QB, I really think if Bauman was healthy they might have already made a move. Tommy won this game, but that's not going to work moving forward.

by PapaG » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:40 pm

There is zero chance Vigen benches a QB who is 40 yards away from being 10-0 this season. Is it possible that Mellot and McKay complement each other well and that’s why it is working? Mellot at QB isn’t going to go far in the playoffs.

by Bobcat Sig » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:43 pm

Tommy’s success came at the expense of both our #1 and #2 running backs… because they both went out injured.

But fret no because it’s highly unlikely that the coaching staff is going to come here and consult a bunch of grumpy, old white guys.

What will happen is that the coaching staff will field the best players that give is us the optimal chance to win. So keep beating that Mellot drum. I’m sure someone, somewhere is super interested in why a run-only QB with no starts is the right option for our hated rivals and deep play-off push. Probably…

by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:16 pm

I really don’t think Tommy is ready for anything but spot/periodic play. If he plays a whole game, I don’t think you can beat a good team. He just isn’t enough of a passing threat (yet)…that pass to McCutcheon was a duck that hung in the air that should’ve been picked.

by PapaG » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:37 pm

Team is 9-1 and ranked 3rd and some of you goofs want to start a freshman who has 10 plays max on his playbook to take over as starting QB. What if the Griz stuff Mellot and MSU loses? Vigen loses the locker room.

Again, I see this stuff and laugh because the people posting this garbage have obviously never played sports at a championship level in a big pool of athletes to choose from to start and others to play roles. I have. You haven’t.

It’s the same people whining after every win and I feel sorry for you pessimists. It’s no way to go through fan life. Enjoy the ride. I didn’t think MSU has any shot at being 9-1 at this point after a late coaching change and no spring season. Some folks just need to be miserable?

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:42 pm

Ha. Ok, I think you could go through the history of Every poster on this site, and find some stupid posts (I know I’ve had my fair share)... so not sure if it’s fair to just call out a few individuals....

With that being said, that last post by BlacknBluenGold made me laugh... “I’m done with vigen if he goes with mellott!”

:lol: :lol: :lol:

FTG- GO CATS GO!

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:45 pm

My quote was from Oct 23. By Vigens own words, Mellot wasn’t ready at that point in the season.

Also, none of us knew of the discontent brewing with McKay. If we did, we would’ve been begging for a change too and I was a big McKay fan.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:50 pm

Again, I see this stuff and laugh because the people posting this garbage have obviously never played sports at a championship level in a big pool of athletes to choose from to start and others to play roles. I have. You haven’t.
You realize that City league softball meets those requirement.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:52 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:28 pm
Most of us don't attend practice, maybe you do. Glad you can pat your self on the back for being so smart. Seems like some one wants to start another thread to drag up comments and create a pissing match. Just relax and enjoy the win. Since I had a post you quoted, this is a message board for people to share thoughts. They are not all going to be the same. Do you think if we had managed to beat the Griz, a change still would have been made. I don't. I think that gave the staff the chance to do it. But if he was learning the whole play book each week as the backup, why didn't we see some of these plays to avoid that loss and get a top 2 to 4 seed.
Listen Teton, a lot of people post opinions and have fine discussions everyday but many can't seem to have a disagreement without reverting to name calling. I'll admit that not everyone that I added to this list were acting this way, some comments just seem crazy after yesterday's game and that is why they made the list.

We have a lot of posters who put out the idea that they are experts or in the know. This Tommy situation proves that not many on here know ******.

I was in favor of this move back in October and I saw something in Tommy that made me hope we'd see better results with him at QB. I certainly didn't dream that he would pull off what he did yesterday. I was right on this one but I have been wrong many times on here. I'd admit it though. If Mckay had turned it around I'd be happy as hell and I'd be on here saying I was wrong.

The way Papa talks to people and then is proven to be wrong, he owes some people an apology. He's one example but there is more. Forgive me for rubbing it in a little but he deserves it.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:56 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:42 pm
Ha. Ok, I think you could go through the history of Every poster on this site, and find some stupid posts (I know I’ve had my fair share)... so not sure if it’s fair to just call out a few individuals....

With that being said, that last post by BlacknBluenGold made me laugh... “I’m done with vigen if he goes with mellott!”

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, I am certain that I have had many posts that I'd be embarrassed about now. The point is to get a chuckle at how Tommy made the doubters look awful ignorant and also to rub a little salt in the wound of some of our more aggressive debaters.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:58 pm

PapaG » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:37 pm

This is my personal favorite. Trotting out the ol' I'm a super stud and you're not. So I know more than you.
Last edited by seataccat on Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:04 pm

PapaG is Bobcat PlayerRep. Somehow every post, no matter the original subject, becomes about him and who he knows.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:27 pm

One more batch:

by BleedingBLue » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:35 pm

Do some of you not recall our offense in 2018? Tommy isn't Troy. We are damn lucky he converted 2 straight 3rd and 4s by inches in the 4th quarter. If we were to meet SDSU, NDSU, JMU, SHSU or Nova in the playoffs (which is a very good possibility) with Tommy at QB we will lose.

by coloradocat » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:41 pm

All true.

McKay has his faults but he could have turned it around if Housewright let him. The smaller, slower version of Troy isn't going to lead us past any of the top 5 teams. He's a valuable member of the offense and he'll have a role, just not starting QB

by onceacat » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:39 am

Fine. Put Tommy in at RB & Rovig in at QB. But McKay has more completions today than Tommy has attempts all season.

Tommy starting st QB takes us vback to the season when we suffered through using our best LB as a barely competent QB.

F**** that ****. 2018 was not a blueprint for success.

by sdsyvie » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:44 am

Oh cmon, don't make me laugh! He was the perfect option to get us through a tough physical idaho team. But as you saw on his handful of drop backs, he's a slightly more polished Murray.

by PapaG » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:08 am

I just asked for a bet. Are you Tom’s shield? This entire idea of McKay being benched next weekend is so stupid that anyone who doesn’t outright ridicule it makes me wonder about how well they know team sports. Tom gave it credence as I read it. Clickbait?

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:32 pm

Yes you finally put one of mine in there!!!

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:37 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:32 pm
Yes you finally put one of mine in there!!!
I was going to leave you out because you have been such a good sport :D but your comment is to good considering. I know you understand!

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:43 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:45 pm
My quote was from Oct 23. By Vigens own words, Mellot wasn’t ready at that point in the season.

Also, none of us knew of the discontent brewing with McKay. If we did, we would’ve been begging for a change too and I was a big McKay fan.
This is pretty true. I had no idea the O-Line was going to start blocking as soon as Mellot was in. It was like they were on strike...Which is sort of what Sohedges was saying, and I'll admit, I didn't believe.

Very impressed with the guy & I like the way that the entire offense has played better with him in the backfield.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:55 pm

Posting receipts like this is unlikely to help anything, but it is true that some posters can't disagree with a take they don't like without making it personal or mocking. It shouldn't be that hard to just discuss a disagreement or leave it alone.

And of course, plenty of other posters can and do.

Sohedges
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Sohedges » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:57 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:43 pm
94VegasCat wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:45 pm

This is pretty true. I had no idea the O-Line was going to start blocking as soon as Mellot was in. It was like they were on strike...Which is sort of what Sohedges was saying, and I'll admit, I didn't believe.

Very impressed with the guy & I like the way that the entire offense has played better with him in the backfield.
This thread is gold Jerry, gold!!! Lol
Nobody went on strike, but I know they have been wondering when would the coaches finally realize that Tommy was the real deal. They saw him day in and day out at practice since day one of fall camp, he was just better then McKay. ****** touchdown Tommy from Butte America and he’s only a freshman.