Attendance

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

football fan 0120
BobcatNation Redshirt

Attendance

Post by football fan 0120 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:20 pm

As a Griz fan I watched the Cat game on Saturday. A couple things stood out to me regarding the difference in attendance between Friday's Griz Game and the Cat's Saturday Game. The Cat game had approximately 9000 less in attendance than the Friday Griz game. Neither stadium was maxed out. For a non Missoulian working person to attend the Griz game, it would have required him or her to take a day or at least a half day off to get to the game. For most working attendees to go to the Cat game, it would not have required any time off work. Also, Montana State's student enrollment is approximately 2x of U of M. Why do the Griz draw so much better? One other comment or observation, 8 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter of the Cat game, the stands where about half full. At start of 2nd half of Griz game the stands are about 85% full. Can anyone shed some insight on this? Go Griz and Go Cats! Lets get together in Frisco.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Attendance

Post by technoCat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:23 pm

football fan 0120 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:20 pm
As a Griz fan I watched the Cat game on Saturday. A couple things stood out to me regarding the difference in attendance between Friday's Griz Game and the Cat's Saturday Game. The Cat game had approximately 9000 less in attendance than the Friday Griz game. Neither stadium was maxed out. For a non Missoulian working person to attend the Griz game, it would have required him or her to take a day or at least a half day off to get to the game. For most working attendees to go to the Cat game, it would not have required any time off work. Also, Montana State's student enrollment is approximately 2x of U of M. Why do the Griz draw so much better? One other comment or observation, 8 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter of the Cat game, the stands where about half full. At start of 2nd half of Griz game the stands are about 85% full. Can anyone shed some insight on this? Go Griz and Go Cats! Lets get together in Frisco.
Easy, EWU or UTM?

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:26 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:30 pm

football fan 0120 wrote:

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:34 pm

football fan 0120 wrote:
It’s because the griz invented football, cold, loud, and monte. Duh.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:38 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:30 pm
football fan 0120 wrote:
Yuuupppp I’m not touching this sh!t with a 10 foot pole

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:45 pm

Like the other poster said, EWU is a much better draw than UTM. That seems to be pretty apparent. A real football fan would know that.

Another factor is that UM stadium seats 25,000 while MSU only holds 17,500. MSU doesn’t have a daddy war bucks like UM has to build more capacity. MSU actually just built an athletics center with the significant portion coming from many donors. The UM Center was built with the vast majority of funding coming from Daddy Warbucks Washington.

We all know you are trolling…. Probably a similar question could be posed as to why students continue to flock to MSU while UM has become the smallest school in the Big Sky conference?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:49 pm

football fan 0120 wrote:
Several reasons I’m sure.

First, capacity at wash-griz is over 7,000 more than Montana state. That accounts for the majority of the reason but that is too obvious. As it stands currently, our average for every game this season was over 100% capacity as we brought in temporary seating and standing room only. The average in Missoula was about 95% capacity I believe, and that was with the Brawl being played there.

3rd quarter attendance is nothing new and the same both places. People tailgate and are slow to get back. There are countless threads on egriz about this exact issue.

You guys played an in-conference rival who already beat you once on national tv under the lights. We played a team I never heard of until the week before in gale-force winds.

We have over 2x more students than UM because we are an excellent school, and not because we have a cool football team. Many of our students come here for academics and don’t care about bobcat football. I was impressed by the students and the energy they brought.

You guys won the brawl. That always plays a small part in fandom and peoples willingness to spend their money on another game.

When all was said and done we had more people than many predicted and I believe still set a playoff record. Considering our capacity the announced attendance still nearly filled the place.

Hope this helped. Really nothing earth shattering.

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:50 pm

As @technoCat mentioned, EWU was a significantly better opponent than was UTM. MSU's defense controlled the entire game so much that even a 10-7 halftime game felt relatively secure (I figured that only more turnovers would allow UTM back in the game). I think it was more than that.

The turnout at the MSU game was actually fantastic (15327). It was 2nd for FCS playoff games last weekend and better than either playoff game in 2019. Attendance was likely down after Cat-Griz. Note that UM "only" drew 16550 against SELA 2019 after losing Cat-Griz in Bozeman.

As for the late return to the stadium after halftime, I cannot even imagine a situation where I'd leave my seat during a game. I'm always frustrated in the 3rd quarter.
football fan 0120 wrote:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:57 pm

I think it’s a legitimate question.

In 2019, when UM hosted SELA the attendance was just 16,550. 66% of capacity. I think the opponent is probably a big factor. Also, the opponents proximity.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:01 pm

football fan 0120 wrote:
griz had a home playoff game? Congrats......

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:02 pm

technoCat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:23 pm
football fan 0120 wrote:
Easy, EWU or UTM?
Also, the Christmas stroll was going on at about the same time. I had to leave before halftime to get my daughter there for a concert at it. Think I saw somewhere that there were 3,000 people at the stroll (didn't seem like that many, but is was PACKED). In regards to your comment about "After Halftime" I wasn't there, but heard that the UM game was about half full 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter as well (from griz friends that were there were bitching about fans never being back by 3rd quarter).... To be honest though, I don't actually think that your comment was to really ask these questions, and more to troll about your fan base compared to ours. If I am wrong about that, than I apologize

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:17 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:30 pm
football fan 0120 wrote:

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:36 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:45 pm
Like the other poster said, EWU is a much better draw than UTM. That seems to be pretty apparent. A real football fan would know that.

Another factor is that UM stadium seats 25,000 while MSU only holds 17,500. MSU doesn’t have a daddy war bucks like UM has to build more capacity. MSU actually just built an athletics center with the significant portion coming from many donors. The UM Center was built with the vast majority of funding coming from Daddy Warbucks Washington.

We all know you are trolling…. Probably a similar question could be posed as to why students continue to flock to MSU while UM has become the smallest school in the Big Sky conference?
Big Sky??? You mean one of the smallest enrollments in Div 1 athletics.

Hating the griz since 02.

PortlandCat90

Post by PortlandCat90 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:37 pm

football fan 0120 wrote:
Is that a serious question?

Obviously to see Billy Hauck, Jr., II tally 72 tackles in 61 plays.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:02 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:57 pm
I think it’s a legitimate question.

In 2019, when UM hosted SELA the attendance was just 16,550. 66% of capacity. I think the opponent is probably a big factor. Also, the opponents proximity.
If the griz have to rely just their fanbase they are in trouble and won't sellout. At least 3-5K EWU fans at the game and still didn't sellout. The only game they sold out this season was Cat/griz.

Of course Cat's sold out EVERY SINGLE REGULAR SEASON HOME GAME \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:11 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:02 pm
technoCat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:23 pm
football fan 0120 wrote:
Easy, EWU or UTM?
Also, the Christmas stroll was going on at about the same time. I had to leave before halftime to get my daughter there for a concert at it. Think I saw somewhere that there were 3,000 people at the stroll (didn't seem like that many, but is was PACKED). In regards to your comment about "After Halftime" I wasn't there, but heard that the UM game was about half full 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter as well (from griz friends that were there were bitching about fans never being back by 3rd quarter).... To be honest though, I don't actually think that your comment was to really ask these questions, and more to troll about your fan base compared to ours. If I am wrong about that, than I apologize
The band also came back into the stands later than normal this game so when you look at the end zone and it's half full that's a big reason why.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:39 pm

Even though the question was a poor attempt at trolling, this is an interesting topic to me at least.
Bozeman's current population is 53,000 and Missoula's is 73,000. Missoula is about 28% larger. Bobcat Stadium's listed capacity is 17,777. Washington-Grizzly Stadium's listed capacity is 25,217. Washy-griz is about 30% larger than Bobcat Stadium. That's a pretty close correlation to the local populations. But wait, there's more...Gallatin and surrounding counties has about 151,000 people. Missoula and surrounding counties has about 200,000 people-25% more people. Also a pretty close correlation to the respective stadium sizes.

Then the other factors: Opponent, Cat-griz result, weather, kick off day/time, other area events all make a difference. We had a friday night lights playoff game several years ago against Sam Houston. It was exciting-people loved it and came out. I think that helped griz attendance more than hurt.

I think both UM and MSU punch well above their weight for stadium size and average attendance compared to most anywhere in the country. Look at Boise for example. Their stadium seats less than 40,000 yet they have about 700,000 people within a very easy drive to that campus. The Cats and griz collectively drew almost 40,000 people for their playoff games...in a state with barely over 1 million people spread over a huge amount of area. Pat on the back to both of us I say.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:45 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:49 pm
football fan 0120 wrote:

First, capacity at wash-griz is over 7,000 more than Montana state. That accounts for the majority of the reason but that is too obvious. As it stands currently, our average for every game this season was over 100% capacity as we brought in temporary seating and standing room only. The average in Missoula was about 95% capacity I believe, and that was with the Brawl being played there.

3rd quarter attendance is nothing new and the same both places. People tailgate and are slow to get back. There are countless threads on egriz about this exact issue.

You guys played an in-conference rival who already beat you once on national tv under the lights. We played a team I never heard of until the week before in gale-force winds.

We have over 2x more students than UM because we are an excellent school, and not because we have a cool football team. Many of our students come here for academics and don’t care about bobcat football. I was impressed by the students and the energy they brought.

You guys won the brawl. That always plays a small part in fandom and peoples willingness to spend their money on another game.

When all was said and done we had more people than many predicted and I believe still set a playoff record. Considering our capacity the announced attendance still nearly filled the place.

I would also guess that we had more students there Saturday than UM did. We alot WAY more seats to the kids.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Mtcatfan

Post by Mtcatfan » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:11 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:45 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:49 pm
football fan 0120 wrote:

I would also guess that we had more students there Saturday than UM did. We alot WAY more seats to the kids.
The Grizzlies get more in attendance because they have way more people who jumped on the bandwagon when it rolled through their piss ant little town. I live in Great Falls and know many of them.

I don’t know what this guy was looking at but I watched it on tv and even commented that when the third quarter started the Grizzly stadium was maybe 10% occupied.