Griz RB arrested for DUI

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Griz RB arrested for DUI

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:23 pm

Cataholic wrote:
PapaG wrote:Johnson got a settlement because he was wrongfully expelled. It had nothing to do with being suspended from the team.

It seems to me that in light of their national embarrassment, UM has somehow devised a "code of conduct" that makes it impossible to even suspend athletes who embarrass the program but who haven't had their cases adjudicated.

In other words, it sure seems that there is more leniency in player discipline now than there was prior to the rape debacle. Seems like a move in the wrong direction to me but the decision-making there over the past decade quite often leaves me confused.
Exactly!
Oh Dear Lord. So the new Code of Conduct (which you have as well by the way) which was put in place after the DOJ investigation and NCAA investigation, with teams of lawyers, and removing any and all bias from coaches is now more lenient?? Please explain that one to me!

And 91, so by your logic, all misdemeanors should be indefinite suspension until due process takes place? Is that what you are stating above? If so (as I am trying not to assume too much) hear me out on this potential scenario:

Newell goes to a buddy's house party during a bye week. He isn't drinking but others are. Some kid who thinks he wants to take on the football captain gets lippy. They end up in a fight that spills out on the lawn. Neighbor calls cops and both are taken in for misdemeanor assault charges. There are 20 witnesses who come forward in Newell's defense saying he was just defending himself from a drunk Rocky Balboa.

Now you're telling me he should be suspensed indefinitely and not allowed to participate in practice or any team events until due process takes its course because he has a misdemeanor assault? No way. Everyone here would be livid and rightfully so!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:24 pm

Grizaddict wrote:91, I'm not saying that. The code is saying that. If the DUI sticks he will be dismissed. If it's a lesser charge, he will miss 30% of the season.

And Cataholic, I am not defending anything as you imply. In fact I stated earlier of it were up to me he's be suspended indefinitely until it plays out, only because it's his second incident in the last year. But again the code dictates all of it.

No need to make it personal as I'm really just trying to give all of you guys the facts at hand so all can see what is at play here.
Not trying to make it personal. I already said your defense was admirable. I am confused though why you disagree with no immediate suspension yet you go to significant length to defend the school's actions. Regardless of the code or interpretation of the code, the lack of a public reprimand / suspension sends the public the wrong message. Using the code as a justification for allowing the player to participate despite an arrest is clearly what is wrong with college football. Stitt and your AD should recognize that.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:36 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:91, I'm not saying that. The code is saying that. If the DUI sticks he will be dismissed. If it's a lesser charge, he will miss 30% of the season.

And Cataholic, I am not defending anything as you imply. In fact I stated earlier of it were up to me he's be suspended indefinitely until it plays out, only because it's his second incident in the last year. But again the code dictates all of it.

No need to make it personal as I'm really just trying to give all of you guys the facts at hand so all can see what is at play here.
Not trying to make it personal. I already said your defense was admirable. I am confused though why you disagree with no immediate suspension yet you go to significant length to defend the school's actions. Regardless of the code or interpretation of the code, the lack of a public reprimand / suspension sends the public the wrong message. Using the code as a justification for allowing the player to participate despite an arrest is clearly what is wrong with college football. Stitt and your AD should recognize that.
Only reason I'm discussing the code and trying to educate folks on the fact it exists and dictates punishment is because it seems 90% weren't aware of it, how it works, etc. instead most are just quick to think Stitt and the coaches are playing favorites and not holding players accountable. I don't like when folks jump to false conclusions or accusations so I was attempting to clear that up. And I agree with you that, in this case, due to his second issue in a year, he should have indefinite suspension regardless or the charge. I'm guess just the coaches even feel this way by this code will dictate punishment instead.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:44 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
PapaG wrote:Johnson got a settlement because he was wrongfully expelled. It had nothing to do with being suspended from the team.

It seems to me that in light of their national embarrassment, UM has somehow devised a "code of conduct" that makes it impossible to even suspend athletes who embarrass the program but who haven't had their cases adjudicated.

In other words, it sure seems that there is more leniency in player discipline now than there was prior to the rape debacle. Seems like a move in the wrong direction to me but the decision-making there over the past decade quite often leaves me confused.
Exactly!
Oh Dear Lord. So the new Code of Conduct (which you have as well by the way) which was put in place after the DOJ investigation and NCAA investigation, with teams of lawyers, and removing any and all bias from coaches is now more lenient?? Please explain that one to me!

And 91, so by your logic, all misdemeanors should be indefinite suspension until due process takes place? Is that what you are stating above? If so (as I am trying not to assume too much) hear me out on this potential scenario:

Newell goes to a buddy's house party during a bye week. He isn't drinking but others are. Some kid who thinks he wants to take on the football captain gets lippy. They end up in a fight that spills out on the lawn. Neighbor calls cops and both are taken in for misdemeanor assault charges. There are 20 witnesses who come forward in Newell's defense saying he was just defending himself from a drunk Rocky Balboa.

Now you're telling me he should be suspensed indefinitely and not allowed to participate in practice or any team events until due process takes its course because he has a misdemeanor assault? No way. Everyone here would be livid and rightfully so!
If MSU has the same policy in place, we apply it very differently. Both Tappan and Daly were dealt with quickly and suspended. Definitely not the case with UM and Counts even though this is his 2nd offense and 3rd if you count the probation violation. Who do you think is more serious about our kids being good citizens?

Your scenario has multiple flaws. Given the circumstances and witness statements, it is highly unlikely Newell is charged. Secondly, the coach and AD have discretion in looking at the circumstances and applying the code. He code is not law. They are guidelines the AD and coach use the guidelines to issue rulings. Stitt has chosen to not do anything with Counts. Lastly, Newell is a God and nobody in their right mind would challenge him. That is just plain stupid! LOL!

Here is another scenario. A UM player is accused of misdemeanor sex with an animal. Multiple other players witnessed this event as part of a satanic proceeding. He pleads not guilty and a court date is set for February, 2017.. Based on your interpretation, they must wait for a court outcome before he can be suspended. Not sure that is why the code of conduct was implemented.

Obviously, the coach and admin have say in determining the proper course of action. The scenario playing out with Counts right now and the lack of action is very troubling.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:47 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Exactly!

No that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying your head coach does have the power to suspend a player from practice if he chooses to, this has nothing to do with the code of conduct.
And Counts deserved to be suspended pending his court outcome, in my opinion. He was already on probation from another incident less than a year ago. Any alcohol whatsoever is a violation his probation. He got stopped for suspicion of DUI, smelled of alcohol, and refused the breathalyzer test. The Missoula DA has already petitioned for the removal of his deferred sentence. Certainly he's not guilty in court yet, but as far as his spot as a football player? He should be suspended.

Let me ask you this. Do you think it's unfair for Luke Daly to be suspended from all team activities since he pled not guilty?
And do you think it's unfair that Marcus Tappan was suspended from the team the day after being charged with a DUI?

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:51 pm

If it's the exact same Code of Conduct, why was Choate able to suspend both Tappan and Daly from all team activities, while Stitt is allowing Counts to practice and be a part of the team?

Would you please explain how "any and all bias from coaches" are removed, yet one coach suspends players, while the other is letting the legal process work itself out? Isn't that the very definition of "bias" in terms of decision-making on suspending players?

You're not making any sense. Please explain, because from what I see, UM has learned exactly nothing from the national debacle they went through a few years ago. If a UM player is charged with manslaughter because the DA see sufficient evidence to prosecute, is that player going to be allowed to be a part of all team activities in the two years it takes to go to trial. Or is that too much for even UM to accept, so Stitt and his "bias" will make that decision when it's time?

Lots of sketchy stuff going on up their, and the large increase in "academic" scholarships for football players is the next elephant in the UM AD that will surface soon enough.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:18 pm

There is a Montana State student athlete code of conduct. I did not say it was the same as the Griz, only that you have one too. You can Google it, but it looks like it's from 2013. It looks FAR less organized and elaborate than the U of M one (which in my opinion creates a lot more gray area and opportunity to be lenient or harsh). This may be why your coach, or probably athletic director in all actuality, can make the call on indefinite suspension for a misdemeanor. Whereas the U of M one takes it completely out of the coaches' hands. I am telling you that is why it was created.

You guys keep referring to Tappan for an example since his was also a DUI but I would be willing to bet when he signed papers with the cats he had a one strike and you are out policy due to his past history. So in my opinion that one might have been very easy. You also refer to Daly. I'm not positive that is the best example since he allegedly punched a girl in the face. That may have been a misdemeanor but due to it ferociousness and unpopularity warranted an indefinite suspension. Like I said I'm not sure on the specifics

And lastly, Papa G your example of a Griz player committing manslaughter is moot. That would fall under a category one offens per the student code of conduct and require immediate suspension from all team activities.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:16 pm

Hey 91 and Papa G. You guys have made some great points on the lack of a Joey Counts suspension. Very solid questions, reasoning and scenarios that GA has not answered. His responses tend to never address our points, but he simply continues to try and justify his school's lack of action or make assumptions on Tappan and Daly that have zero factual backing. Papa G is right. UM to have not learned anything from the past.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:25 pm

Grizaddict wrote:There is a Montana State student athlete code of conduct. I did not say it was the same as the Griz, only that you have one too. You can Google it, but it looks like it's from 2013. It looks FAR less organized and elaborate than the U of M one (which in my opinion creates a lot more gray area and opportunity to be lenient or harsh). This may be why your coach, or probably athletic director in all actuality, can make the call on indefinite suspension for a misdemeanor. Whereas the U of M one takes it completely out of the coaches' hands. I am telling you that is why it was created.

You guys keep referring to Tappan for an example since his was also a DUI but I would be willing to bet when he signed papers with the cats he had a one strike and you are out policy due to his past history. So in my opinion that one might have been very easy. You also refer to Daly. I'm not positive that is the best example since he allegedly punched a girl in the face. That may have been a misdemeanor but due to it ferociousness and unpopularity warranted an indefinite suspension. Like I said I'm not sure on the specifics

And lastly, Papa G your example of a Griz player committing manslaughter is moot. That would fall under a category one offens per the student code of conduct and require immediate suspension from all team activities.
This is all BS because Stitt did suspend one player under your Code of Conduct. So tell me how the UM "Code of Conduct" takes bias out of a coach's decision on suspensions. Either you're blatantly lying about the "bias" part or you're ignorant in what you believe the Code of Conduct means.

Either way, using your interpretation of it, it's appears obvious UM has made it easier for players who are arrested to stay eligible. That's what I gather from the argument you're making in this thread.

There are misdeanor manslaughter charges, which is why I specifically used that as an example and not a felony. Which still seems dumb because as we've seen in Missoula before, just undercharge and keep the player eligible. Or just not report it to the police at all.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:46 pm

Cataholic wrote:
GRIZ1STCATS2ND wrote:If guilty.....see ya.

We don't need you here. "There" I guess for Cat fans.
Your comments, whether jokingly or not, are one of the reasons Griz football has a bad reputation. DUI is a serious offense and a person with two prior incidents should be looked at extra hard. Your flippant comments furher put the Griz program in a negative light..
DUI is not that serious of an offense, get real. Its a revenue offense and LE hands them out like candy on Halloween anytime they can.

Young people drink, athletes drink, normal people drink and its legal to do so. Maybe employers should start firing people on the assumption of guilt for every little traffic violation? Lets just get rid of the whole innocent until proven guilty thing and make everyone pay penance so they can feel better about themselves.

God some people in this country need to be purged so this stupidity stops.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:17 pm

AlphaGriz1 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Your comments, whether jokingly or not, are one of the reasons Griz football has a bad reputation. DUI is a serious offense and a person with two prior incidents should be looked at extra hard. Your flippant comments furher put the Griz program in a negative light..
DUI is not that serious of an offense, get real. Its a revenue offense and LE hands them out like candy on Halloween anytime they can.

Young people drink, athletes drink, normal people drink and its legal to do so. Maybe employers should start firing people on the assumption of guilt for every little traffic violation? Lets just get rid of the whole innocent until proven guilty thing and make everyone pay penance so they can feel better about themselves.

I agree, let's start with the people who think DUI's are ok.

armingtonbobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by armingtonbobcat » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:20 pm

Not that serious?

How big is the problem?

In 2014, 9,967 people were killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (31%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.1
Of the 1,070 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2014, 209 (19%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.1
Of the 209 child passengers ages 14 and younger who died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes in 2014, over half (116) were riding in the vehicle with the alcohol-impaired driver (Courtesy of the CDC)

Nobody was saying drinking is illegal, but any one with half a brain can understand why DUI is serious. Just because everyone does it, does not make it right! You are correct about the purge though, as long as your included.

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:24 pm

I would start with people that are bad at math.

You do realize there are 310 million people in the US and sober driver kill 13 times more people.

Lol.......wow some people should breed

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:39 pm

PapaG wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:There is a Montana State student athlete code of conduct. I did not say it was the same as the Griz, only that you have one too. You can Google it, but it looks like it's from 2013. It looks FAR less organized and elaborate than the U of M one (which in my opinion creates a lot more gray area and opportunity to be lenient or harsh). This may be why your coach, or probably athletic director in all actuality, can make the call on indefinite suspension for a misdemeanor. Whereas the U of M one takes it completely out of the coaches' hands. I am telling you that is why it was created.

This is all BS because Stitt did suspend one player under your Code of Conduct. So tell me how the UM "Code of Conduct" takes bias out of a coach's decision on suspensions. Either you're blatantly lying about the "bias" part or you're ignorant in what you believe the Code of Conduct means.

Either way, using your interpretation of it, it's appears obvious UM has made it easier for players who are arrested to stay eligible. That's what I gather from the argument you're making in this thread.

There are misdeanor manslaughter charges, which is why I specifically used that as an example and not a felony. Which still seems dumb because as we've seen in Missoula before, just undercharge and keep the player eligible. Or just not report it to the police at all.
What's BS is you obviously didn't look at any of this thread or the code or its punishments. Instead you just talk smack. All of that had already been covered here but it requires actually reading the thread. Stitt didn't suspend anyone. The Code of Conduct did. In fact it has suspended 4 athletes since Stitt's tenure.

Gamboa pled guilty to misdemeanor disorderly conduct. No court proceedings or lawyer mediation. Code called for one game suspension. Served during first game vs NDSU.

The 3 who were arrested for FELONY breaking and entering were suspended indefinitely and could not participate in any team activities pending official charges (via a category I code violation). They all served a one game suspension vs ISU. Charges were lessened to misdemeanor trespass and players reinstated. All dictated by the code. Not hard to comprehend in my opinion yet you are struggling.

Having this all laid out in the code with specifics (which is what they have) eliminates the coach or AD bias of saying "well we are going to ignore this or that". The code is public and all can see it.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:15 pm

AlphaGriz1 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

You really are an ignorant person. Why don't you tell my friend who lost his daughter to a drunk driver that DUI are not that serious. Why don't you tell the familly of the kids that were killed by a drunk driver while walking down a street in Missoula? You are known for posting stupid ******, but this has to be the dumbest statement you have ever made. It is probably the dumbest statement anybody has ever made on this board.

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:29 pm

Check your hormones and balance your emotion based "logic"

What about the sober guy in Nice, France that killed 85 people and drove over 307 more? You crying for them?

www.maroonblood.com

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:28 am

AlphaGriz1 wrote:Check your hormones and balance your emotion based "logic"

What about the sober guy in Nice, France that killed 85 people and drove over 307 more? You crying for them?
Completely irrelevant as you are, I suppose that guy's your hero.

Triple C
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Triple C » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:44 am

Wait just a second... you can't argue that Daly should immediately be suspended if he (as you suggested) "alledgedly" hit the mother of his child while arguing that the Griz should let Count's issue play out. You're awfully quick to defend Counts, who has had multiple issues while thinking Daly's situation was handled correctly.

Would Daly currently be suspended under the Griz code?

(BTW, I think Daly's quick suspension was appropriate and should be the norm, not the exception.)

Stitt: "Griz got 5 best in state. Small Montana class, but quality" Translation? "We didn't want all of the ones we offered"

Triple C
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Triple C » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:00 am

AlphaGriz1 wrote:I would start with people that are bad at math.

You do realize there are 310 million people in the US and sober driver kill 13 times more people.

Lol.......wow some people should breed

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
And some people shouldn't... There was a time when posters on this board convinced me you were just "misunderstood".

Stitt: "Griz got 5 best in state. Small Montana class, but quality" Translation? "We didn't want all of the ones we offered"

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:24 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
AlphaGriz1 wrote:Check your hormones and balance your emotion based "logic"

Completely irrelevant as you are, I suppose that guy's your hero.
However you want to twist things and put words I never said in my mouth. Pretty much proves you got not to add and your entire premise is based on emotion like I mentioned earlier.

People pick the weirdest topics when it comes to being an emotional social warrior. I bet you are proud to support groups like PETA, FARC and ISIS with the same passion huh?

www.maroonblood.com