Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Post Reply
User avatar
LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5178
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:26 pm
Location: Lewistown, MT

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:48 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:I wish I could go back and change my prediction now. Because the cats are going to win by three scores now.
You can edit. Read coaches first post.



User avatar
LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8564
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:50 pm
Location: Kalispell

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:30 pm

I'm surprised Colter hasn't written anything about it. I heard it on his podcast from Tuesday interviews on media day and it came from Kane.


Image

User avatar
LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8564
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:50 pm
Location: Kalispell

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:15 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:Watch.

Playing Yates at nose will have a bigger impact than most of you think
So nothing can fix the defense huh?

3 forced field goals (1miss) and a goal line stand.

CB don't know Stitt about football

Tucker Yates is what we've been missing. He took on 2 sometimes 3 dudes every freaking play.

Told ya so


Image

User avatar
LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8564
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:50 pm
Location: Kalispell

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:16 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:I wish I could go back and change my prediction now. Because the cats are going to win by three scores now.
Boom!

35-13 and it could have been better


Image

User avatar
grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5987
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Billings via Livingston
Contact:

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:19 am

Yates was definitely disruptive. He needs to start at NT for the rest of the season. Good to see Wilcox get in and trip up a RB. That said, there is still plenty of learning needed, though. Carter in particular was out of position more often than not, and the young LB's had numerous poor run fits as well.


Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Retard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

User avatar
BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3446
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: God's Country

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by BigBruceBaker » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:03 am

grizzh8r wrote:Yates was definitely disruptive. He needs to start at NT for the rest of the season. Good to see Wilcox get in and trip up a RB. That said, there is still plenty of learning needed, though. Carter in particular was out of position more often than not, and the young LB's had numerous poor run fits as well.
What is Carters deal? He seems lost on many plays and I thought he could have had 2 picks if he would have been looking for the ball. I'm really hoping he's just still learning the system as we need him to step up and be great.

Yates is an animal. Love to see a freshman come in and disrupt like that


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

GoldstoneCat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1051
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:27 pm

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:16 am

Loved the way Yates played, can't coach that size/quick feet combination. Also thought it helped to gene the Braun /Tappan combo instead of fletcher c. out there. However, the biggest help for the defense might be not playing 3 of the top four most talented offenses (other than us) in the league 3 weeks in a row. Getting some stops has to be a confidence builder, and is obviously easier to do without kupp or butler dominating you down the field. Loved our effort and results yesterday!



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14290
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:25 am

grizzh8r wrote:Yates was definitely disruptive. He needs to start at NT for the rest of the season. Good to see Wilcox get in and trip up a RB. That said, there is still plenty of learning needed, though. Carter in particular was out of position more often than not, and the young LB's had numerous poor run fits as well.
I agree with all of this.
Yates did look good, but SAC got good yardage up the gut before Robinson went out. The goal line stops were good, but both came post-Robinson. I wouldn't be buying the stats and points allowed from this game.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
PapaG
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6476
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:44 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by PapaG » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:03 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:Yates was definitely disruptive. He needs to start at NT for the rest of the season. Good to see Wilcox get in and trip up a RB. That said, there is still plenty of learning needed, though. Carter in particular was out of position more often than not, and the young LB's had numerous poor run fits as well.
I agree with all of this.
Yates did look good, but SAC got good yardage up the gut before Robinson went out. The goal line stops were good, but both came post-Robinson. I wouldn't be buying the stats and points allowed from this game.
Is there anything you liked about the win? The offense is too predictable, the stellar 2nd half defensive effort doesn't count because the defense knocked their best players out of the game...

tough crowd.


Greg K.

User avatar
utucats
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1937
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by utucats » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:02 pm

I liked the defensive effort the whole game. Our defense is a major work in progress and isn't going to just come out and miraculously dominate all the sudden. What I did like was that we didn't give up the big scoring plays this week. No matter who Sac had on the field they only mustered one TD and it was on a phenomenal catch against decent coverage. I loved how much better we looked in the trenches when Yates was in the game.

At home we are allowing just over 18 pts per game versus 52 points per game on the road(granted we've only played 2 road games and both against good offenses). I think some of our problem might be motivation/attitude. Our defensive unit needs to find ways to get themselves ready to go when they don't have the home field advantage. This next game will be interesting, hoping the defense comes out inspired and looking to build off of what they were able to accomplish yesterday.


Image

User avatar
Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1145
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by Darth Yoda » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:16 pm

utucats wrote:I liked the defensive effort the whole game. Our defense is a major work in progress and isn't going to just come out and miraculously dominate all the sudden. What I did like was that we didn't give up the big scoring plays this week. No matter who Sac had on the field they only mustered one TD and it was on a phenomenal catch against decent coverage. I loved how much better we looked in the trenches when Yates was in the game.

At home we are allowing just over 18 pts per game versus 52 points per game on the road(granted we've only played 2 road games and both against good offenses). I think some of our problem might be motivation/attitude. Our defensive unit needs to find ways to get themselves ready to go when they don't have the home field advantage. This next game will be interesting, hoping the defense comes out inspired and looking to build off of what they were able to accomplish yesterday.
Yes we've shown up really flat on the road both times. I expect a really tough game this week, but at the minimum I want us to show up absolutely ready to play. We have to find a way to show the same fire and intensity on the road and it needs to start this week.



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 14290
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:16 pm

PapaG wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:Yates was definitely disruptive. He needs to start at NT for the rest of the season. Good to see Wilcox get in and trip up a RB. That said, there is still plenty of learning needed, though. Carter in particular was out of position more often than not, and the young LB's had numerous poor run fits as well.
I agree with all of this.
Yates did look good, but SAC got good yardage up the gut before Robinson went out. The goal line stops were good, but both came post-Robinson. I wouldn't be buying the stats and points allowed from this game.
Is there anything you liked about the win? The offense is too predictable, the stellar 2nd half defensive effort doesn't count because the defense knocked their best players out of the game...

tough crowd.
Not to nitpick, but Agude sprained his ankle and Robinson pulled a hammy, so they most likely weren't knocked out by the defense.

I liked how when MSU changed things up and got more speed on the field it opened things up. I also liked how MSU held SAC to FG attempts in the red zone, which was the goal early in the season.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5987
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Billings via Livingston
Contact:

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:38 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:Yates was definitely disruptive. He needs to start at NT for the rest of the season. Good to see Wilcox get in and trip up a RB. That said, there is still plenty of learning needed, though. Carter in particular was out of position more often than not, and the young LB's had numerous poor run fits as well.
I agree with all of this.
Yates did look good, but SAC got good yardage up the gut before Robinson went out. The goal line stops were good, but both came post-Robinson. I wouldn't be buying the stats and points allowed from this game.
Is there anything you liked about the win? The offense is too predictable, the stellar 2nd half defensive effort doesn't count because the defense knocked their best players out of the game...

tough crowd.
Not to nitpick, but Agude sprained his ankle and Robinson pulled a hammy, so they most likely weren't knocked out by the defense.

I liked how when MSU changed things up and got more speed on the field it opened things up. I also liked how MSU held SAC to FG attempts in the red zone, which was the goal early in the season.
Robinson did lay on the turf for a long time after taking a crunching hit it the first half. The bigscreen showed him feeling his thigh as he sat on the bench after coming off the field.


Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Retard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by desmond1957 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:56 pm

"Robinson pulled a hammy" my ass, from where I sit and what the Chronicle said it was pretty evident that after he got blasted by that freshman LB you were all bitching about he never got back on the field from late in the first half on!!! Without him the Sac offense went from almost 5 yards a carry to 2.5 in the second half! By the way, the coaches must not read this board,the only time Grant came out was when he hit some dude over by the sideline in the second half so hard he broke his helmet and had to wait while it was repaired. Still think he needs to "sit and work his way back into the rotation" after the game Saturday??? How about it CB, you're the pro analyst on the board!!! By the way, how'd you like the way Weber ran over your middle linebacker all day??? Even your homer refs couldn't get Stitt the win, although they sure tried!!!



User avatar
PapaG
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6476
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:44 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by PapaG » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:10 pm

utucats wrote:I liked the defensive effort the whole game. Our defense is a major work in progress and isn't going to just come out and miraculously dominate all the sudden. What I did like was that we didn't give up the big scoring plays this week. No matter who Sac had on the field they only mustered one TD and it was on a phenomenal catch against decent coverage. I loved how much better we looked in the trenches when Yates was in the game.

At home we are allowing just over 18 pts per game versus 52 points per game on the road(granted we've only played 2 road games and both against good offenses). I think some of our problem might be motivation/attitude. Our defensive unit needs to find ways to get themselves ready to go when they don't have the home field advantage. This next game will be interesting, hoping the defense comes out inspired and looking to build off of what they were able to accomplish yesterday.
The Portland State games in Portland typically have more MSU fans than PSU fans. If the defense can't get fired up with 5000 screaming Bobcat fans backing them, they'll never get up for a road game.


Greg K.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1735
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:04 pm

If I had never heard of Montana State University and Saturday was the first time I ever saw them, I would be telling the folks back home that the Bobcat defense is better than the Bobcat offense.



Common Cat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2218
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Spokane

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by Common Cat » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:12 pm

Here is a difference I noticed. In years past, we have been playing our best ball during this stretch, only to drop off later in the month. We might, just might, be working toward peaking later this year. If the defense can continually make incremental improvements, I am excited to see where this team can go.


@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Koozie

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1637
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by DriscollCat » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:17 pm

Common Cat wrote:Here is a difference I noticed. In years past, we have been playing our best ball during this stretch, only to drop off later in the month. We might, just might, be working toward peaking later this year. If the defense can continually make incremental improvements, I am excited to see where this team can go.
Also playing better in the second half than the first, another change.



User avatar
bobcat92
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:20 pm
Location: Billings

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by bobcat92 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:19 pm

Common Cat wrote:Here is a difference I noticed. In years past, we have been playing our best ball during this stretch, only to drop off later in the month. We might, just might, be working toward peaking later this year. If the defense can continually make incremental improvements, I am excited to see where this team can go.
+1. Was thinking the same thought. Keep improving on D!



User avatar
PapaG
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6476
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:44 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Nothing can fix the D; lots of problems

Post by PapaG » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:25 pm

Common Cat wrote:Here is a difference I noticed. In years past, we have been playing our best ball during this stretch, only to drop off later in the month. We might, just might, be working toward peaking later this year. If the defense can continually make incremental improvements, I am excited to see where this team can go.
It's refreshing to see a positive post. This week in Portland will be huge in setting the table for the rest of the season. PSU always has athletes, but coaching has been an issue since Walsh left. I think MSU is catching the Viks at the right time. PSU is even getting some play in the media here in Portland. This is when the PSU of old starts believing their press clippings and comes out flat.


Greg K.

Post Reply