Preseason Polls

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:55 am

Bay Area Cat wrote:I assume grizhatr is referring to our (many Bobcat fans') belief in the "Top 25 Hex" that has historically caused the Cats to lose everytime they enter the Top 25 for the first time. I really doubt he was saying that there was a literal connection between the two events -- just our own form of voodoo.

This is one time where it did take a Cat to understand a Cat, I think.
Our Hex will be gone by Sept. 11th once we crush Adams State in Bozeman while being ranked in the top 25 :) Just think, we will crush ANOTHER Grizzly team.

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:16 am

Yes, it took "CAT" fans to figure out that hex 25 thing. God, I didn't want to say it out loud. Yes, the Friz are always on top in the preseason polls, they will be until they are put to shame yet another year. Seriously though, I believe it was mentioned in an earlier post, if "Oh Ochs" gets hurt early, things might not turn out as expected in these pre-season polls. Who knows, they will probably blame any injury or loss for that matter on the fact he is married.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:49 am

jagur1 wrote:The only thing I don't understand is Kramer as a rookie coach won 4 games with a program coming off a 9 win season. Bobby won 9 games. Yes, Kramer has beaten the Grizz two years in a row but, his over all record is marginal at best. This is the year the cats need to try to win 9 or 10 games. Good luck.
Apples to Oranges. Actually the Eagles only won 7 games in 93, not 9. Yes, Kramer only won 4 games the following year (One of which was a 49-21 victory over Utah State BTW) He completely cleared things out and started from the ground up in order to create a sustained, national championship caliber program. Eastern was only one game from the National Championship game in 97, losing to Youngstown State 29-15. Like at Eastern, he completely rebuilt the Bobcat program here… It just took a little more work, ie. No-win season his first year. The Grizzlies had already been established as a 1AA power, and they had momentum. Losing only 4 games his 1st year may look good on paper, but given the Grizzly history as of late, and the talent and depth of talent that has come to the grizzly program due to the success the program has seen, I’d call your season last year a let-down. FYI, I don’t think the Bobcats played to their potential either. Long story short, I’m sticking with my opinion since day one. Baby Hauck is an excellent recruiter but has yet to prove he is an effective head coach.

P.S. I do agree that this is the year we need to win 8 or 9 games. I would absolutely love it if we were both undefeated going into the brawl. PRetty doubtful though, given both of our schedules...

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:03 pm

catac: I agree somewhat but, "a sustained, national championship caliber program." One year in the semi's dosen't warrent that phrase.
Bobby had to replace a lot of offense last year to make it work. I'll bet if he keeps winning 9, 10 games a year he moves up. I'll also bet that Kramer won't move up winning 6 or 7 games a year.

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

Bozgriz

Post by Bozgriz » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:06 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:I assume grizhatr is referring to our (many Bobcat fans') belief in the "Top 25 Hex" that has historically caused the Cats to lose everytime they enter the Top 25 for the first time. I really doubt he was saying that there was a literal connection between the two events -- just our own form of voodoo.

This is one time where it did take a Cat to understand a Cat, I think.
Not much of a hex!! How often are you guys in the top 25??? :lol:

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:36 pm

jagur1 wrote:catac: I agree somewhat but, "a sustained, national championship caliber program." One year in the semi's dosen't warrent that phrase.
Bobby had to replace a lot of offense last year to make it work. I'll bet if he keeps winning 9, 10 games a year he moves up. I'll also bet that Kramer won't move up winning 6 or 7 games a year.
I said that Kramer’s goal was to build that type of program, not necessarily that you could call Eastern that today. Tough to say where they’d be if he were still at the helm. Wulff is no slouch either, in fact I have a feeling that Eastern will be very good this year, and I’m glad they’re coming to Bozeman. Kramer and Hauck are in the same boat… win and they’ll probably move up, lose and they get fired. If Hauck continues the tradition of 2,3 loss seasons and repeated trips to the playoffs, I’ll concede that he’s a good coach. I’m interested to see how Glenn does at Wyoming the next few years, as I think the best measure of a coach is how they do when they start with crap. One question for you – what is your honest assessment of Hauck and how much influence do you think Read will have, regardless of what we read about in the media?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:43 am

catatac: Agree on Glenn. If he turns around Wyoming enough said he should be considered a super coach.

Hauck: Young, made some mistakes as any first year coach will. Showed flashes of creativity. I'm supper glad that we gave a Montana guy a chance to prove himself. I like the job Hauck did last year and he will get better. Read should be a good mentor and smart enough to know a AD has to get out of his coaches way.

Four

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:19 am

jagur1 wrote:catatac: Agree on Glenn. If he turns around Wyoming enough said he should be considered a super coach.

Hauck: Young, made some mistakes as any first year coach will. Showed flashes of creativity. I'm supper glad that we gave a Montana guy a chance to prove himself. I like the job Hauck did last year and he will get better. Read should be a good mentor and smart enough to know a AD has to get out of his coaches way.
Read should be smart enough to know that Hauck isn't the guy for the job. Read is a class act. Hauck I wouldn't even put in the same breath as Read. Looks like an oil and water relationship to me.

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:07 am

CARDIAC_CATS: We'll know soon enough. If it doesn't work out, you may blow out another keyboard.
Last edited by jagur1 on Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Four

62GRIZ
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 62GRIZ » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:55 am

Cardiac:
Read should be smart enough to know that Hauck isn't the guy for the job. Read is a class act. Hauck I wouldn't even put in the same breath as Read. Looks like an oil and water relationship to me.
Read has nothing but good things to say about Hauck and his staff and vice versa. You have to remember that Hauck was an assistant coach for Coach Read and was hired by him. He thinks very highly of him. "Oil and water" - I think not! By the way, Hauck won nine games more than Super K his first year at Montana than K at State. In fact, he won more games in year one than K did in year two OR year three. :shock:

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:18 am

K has won 9 games or more once in 9 years of coaching. Not the type of resume' that gets you a 1-A job. Is he 4-5 or 5-4 against the Griz? A stat, either way, most coaches would die for. A winning % that will keep him a cat coach for decades to come. Since a 7-6 record and a playoff spanking doesn't really matter to the general cat fan.

Four

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:48 am

Huack first year vrs. Kramers first year in wins and loses! Boy that is a fair
comparison.....NOT! How about this compare fan reaction after their first year! While
the Cat fans were not thrilled with Kramers first year, there was genuine enthusiasm
among the fans about the Cats future, Hauck took over the cream of the crop team in
D1-aa and left most of Griz fans VERY disappointed by seasons end. This year will be
the telling year. By Kramers second year he had the Cats turned around and making
waves. Can Hauck turn the corner and get the Griz back on the national level or do they
continue their slide.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:15 pm

bearBAC
How does it feel to be knocked on your butts and lose the automatic bid to the playoffs by a medioric team. You are living in the past!
Last edited by mslacat on Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:42 pm

mslacat. Yes it's bothersome to lose to a medioric team that we're so use to crushing 7 out of 10 times. Hope, to get that one cleared up next year. Kramer may not be able to win 9 games a year but he certainly can make an ass out of himself and be very competitive against the Griz.

Four

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:02 pm

bearBAC: The bothersome 3 way tie is why the BSC needs to add at least 1 more team. Another conf. game would help avoid the 3 way tie.

Four

Bozgriz

Post by Bozgriz » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:12 pm

mslacat wrote:Huack first year vrs. Kramers first year in wins and loses! Boy that is a fair
comparison.....NOT! How about this compare fan reaction after their first year! While
the Cat fans were not thrilled with Kramers first year, there was genuine enthusiasm
among the fans about the Cats future, Hauck took over the cream of the crop team in
D1-aa and left most of Griz fans VERY disappointed by seasons end. continue their slide.
Are you kidding??? Cat fans were up in arms over the disgrace of a winless season. Man, that has to be the worst statement I have read from a cat fan in months!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:14 pm

In months? :shock: Now that is a bold statement.

Four