2 weeks

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

2 weeks

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:34 am

2 weeks later and the griz are still talking about the instant replay call. At least now big brothers dad has spoken up. Way to go Fullerton, once again you have shown that all you care about is the griz. The Big Sky would be a way better conference without Fullerton, time to clean house BSC........

http://missoulian.com/college/griz/spel ... 963f4.html

Punters are people too!!

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2 weeks

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:13 am

I read that completely different. Fullerton is using that play to justify the need for replay during the regular season since officials don't really know how to use it in the post season.

Any of us that have complained about the refs would think this to be a positive step forward. Also, all of the coaches want it, so I hope it happens.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:57 pm

Not a Fullerton fan, but think he is positioning for an instant replay push. With BSC refers makes makes good sense to me.

Not sure how many additional cameras are needed. Anyone have an idea re logistics????

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:56 pm

I agree that Fullerton is asking for better replay, I just know he wouldn't have spoken up like he did had MSU had this same thing happen in a playoff game. You have officials working with something they only use once or twice a year, you know something is going to happen. That play had very little to do with the outcome of the game. Yes you had a play taken back, but you had 4 more chances to get a first down. Isn't that how the game is played, 4 downs to get a first?

Punters are people too!!

Jobu
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Jobu » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:22 pm

This is an odd thread. When did Fullerton become a Griz? And while I agree it's time for him to move on, I actually agree with him here.

And yes, that play -- at least potentially -- had a huge impact on that game. If something like that had happened to the Cats, we'd be outraged, and rightfully so. Mind you, this wasn't an error on a judgment call. This was a complete misapplication of rules that my 2nd grade nephew understands. Once a play is run there cannot be replay. And then to refuse to put the nearly minute of game time lost to the "play that never happened"? Remarkably horrible officiating, and Fullerton was right to point that out and ask for changes.

Hats for bats. Keeps bats warm.

Grizlaw

Post by Grizlaw » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:38 pm

GoCats18 wrote:That play had very little to do with the outcome of the game. Yes you had a play taken back, but you had 4 more chances to get a first down. Isn't that how the game is played, 4 downs to get a first?
Sorry to be a little late to this thread - I wasn't online much over the holidays, and I'm still getting caught up.

By your logic, no blown call can ever affect the outcome of a game, because no matter how badly a ref f*cks up, the other team always has (or has had) other plays in which they could've gotten the first down (or gotten the stop, if the bad call is against the defense). So what does that mean? No matter how badly the refs screw up, nobody should ever complain?

I agree that this play probably didn't change the outcome, but that doesn't mean Fullerton (or Griz fans) are wrong to complain about it. It truly was one of the worst officiating blunders I have ever seen in any sport. It's hard for me to envision a scenario more worthy of ref-bashing than this one.

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:00 pm

Grizlaw wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:That play had very little to do with the outcome of the game. Yes you had a play taken back, but you had 4 more chances to get a first down. Isn't that how the game is played, 4 downs to get a first?
Sorry to be a little late to this thread - I wasn't online much over the holidays, and I'm still getting caught up.

By your logic, no blown call can ever affect the outcome of a game, because no matter how badly a ref f*cks up, the other team always has (or has had) other plays in which they could've gotten the first down (or gotten the stop, if the bad call is against the defense). So what does that mean? No matter how badly the refs screw up, nobody should ever complain?

I agree that this play probably didn't change the outcome, but that doesn't mean Fullerton (or Griz fans) are wrong to complain about it. It truly was one of the worst officiating blunders I have ever seen in any sport. It's hard for me to envision a scenario more worthy of ref-bashing than this one.
As my high school coach once said. If you keep the game close enough that a Referee error can affect the game, then you didn't do enough to win the game outright by yourselves anyway (i.e. no excuses or crying). Bad bounces, freak plays, referee blunders are going to happen every week. Good teams overcome them.

Jobu
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Jobu » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:34 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Grizlaw wrote:

As my high school coach once said. If you keep the game close enough that a Referee error can affect the game, then you didn't do enough to win the game outright by yourselves anyway (i.e. no excuses or crying). Bad bounces, freak plays, referee blunders are going to happen every week. Good teams overcome them.

Oh I don't think anyone disagrees with that point at all.

But does that mean that Fullerton shouldn't point out what was a RIDICULOUS and egregious error in officiating which potentially harmed one of his conference's teams? Again, this wasn't a judgement call. This was a rule that 99.999999997% of anyone who has watched a football game understands. And the DI officials getting paid to officiate a playoff game somehow found a way to f*ck up that rule.

That deserves to be called out. And I'm glad Fullerton had the balls to do so.

Hats for bats. Keeps bats warm.