I have had enough!!

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: I have had enough!!

Post by catamaran » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:31 am

stop trying to use logic in a smack thread

NERD :D

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

ImagineSanta
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ImagineSanta » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:35 am

Everyday is a great day to be a Bobcat.

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:46 am

Colter,just apersonal note. I enjoy your work. I thought when you started this experiment, you were nuts, how could you make it on the small revenue that BN pays you. To your credit you do work for the one readio staion, you have been the sideline reporter for games, you did that mgazine, in short you have been inventive enough to create other revenue streams, kudos to you. You watch a lot more football than the rest of us and get explanaations from the coach's that we don't get to have. You are a leader in this type of adventure and I for one am glad that we have you. A small minority still question your motives, you don't need to explain yourself, you are beyond that with most of us. That being said if we are getting together to burn down your house, where do we meet.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:05 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
catdaddy7 wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Lovethecats75 wrote:So, let me get this right. What you are saying is the only way to get as good as the griz is to be as big of a$$holes as they are.
Let me just say, the CAT program has already passed the griz and we are leaving them in the dust. Best yet we did it the right way. We do not need to go into the gutter like the griz fans do. I love where we are how we got here. Let's keep doing it the right way.
Haha, this and the first post on this page is why we refer to you as Little Brother. You cats are funny :lol: :lol:
Really? Tell me what's better about Um over MSU. To simplify it I'll break it down for you.
#1 Cruzado versus Engstrom. Not even close
#2 Ash versus Delaney. I'm thinking Ash
#3 Enrollment. We passed you guys this year. Ours is growing while UM's is faltering.
So keep clinging to the thought that we are your little brother, maybe we were at one time in some areas but not
anymore. :yes:
Here's something I will give my opinion on in this otherwise sadly comical thread. In terms of simply the football program, here's the factors to weigh. Several MSU coaches told me the key to recruiting this day in age comes down to two things: winning and facilities. Let's break it down. We will evaluate everything in a four-year sample size. As adults and long-time Big Sky fans, we tend to gravitate toward longer sample sizes of history. Griz supporters will always argue 7 national title game appearances in 15 years, 17 straight years in the playoffs, the streak, etc. But in all honesty,kids that will become Cats or Griz in the next four years only know about the last three or four years. No high school kid gives two ****** about the Montana 2001 national title team. It's the same thing as saying a kid picked UM over MSU because the Cats went 0-11 in 2000. It's irrelevant. Kids in high school now were like 6 years old in 2001.

Here's your factors.

1. Winning — Montana State is 40-15 dating back to the 2009 season if you include this year's 3-2 mark. During that time, Montana State has shared the last thre Big Sky titles, including the 2011 title with the Griz and posted a 27-6 record against Big SKy competition. During that same span, Montana is an identical 40-15 overall, 23-9 against Big Sky competition. Those marks are largely aided by UM's 14-1 record in 2009. Since 2010, Montana State is 33-10, Montana is 26-14. In the BIg Sky, the Bobcats have won 22 of 25 league games, while the Griz have posted a 15-10 mark. Edge: Bobcats

2. Facilities: Washington-Grizzly was long the crown jewel of the FCS. It still is among the best venues. But the additions to Bobcat Stadium coupled with the star power on the team — I think it's safe to say that DeNarius McGhee, Cody Kirk and Zach Minter have achieved star status around this state >> to any Griz since Marc Mariani left in 2008 — along with the wins and the image Coach Ash helps project makes Bobcat Stadium right up there with Washington-Griz. If you've ever stood on the sidelines at a Griz game, you know it's literally one of the loudest places in college football. It's louder than Husky Stadium, Reser Stadium (Oregon State) or Martin Stadium (Washington State). Those are my only frames of reference besides Qwest Field in Seattle and no one is touching that. But much of Wa-Griz loudness comes from the acoustics and the proximity to the field. When you are down in by the Sonny Holland end zone, it's third down, Zach Minter is waving his arms, Brad Daly digs in his cleats, it's a big game like Stony Brook last year, then Bobcat Stadium gets close. The stadiums are close in this evaluation, but Washington-Griz gets a slight edge. When you throw in all the other facilities — weight room, training room, locker rooms, etc., — Montana State blows Montana out of the water. Edge: Bobcats

3. Academics: I won't bore you with my full analysis, but if you get a liberal arts degree in something like, say, journalism, you are going to be poor. If you get a degree in something like, say, engineering or architecture or nursing, you are going to make a good living. Edge: Montana State

4. Administration: Again, I don't want to completely go nuts on the administration across the mountain so I will leave it at this: Royce Engstrom is lost and Waded Cruzado is a visionary. She has as much to do with the success of the football program as anyone and you have to love her because she puts equal amount of energy into all aspects of this university. It trickles down into the community. She's an amazing lady. Bozeman is lucky to have her.

5. Coaching: Delaney has revamped the attitude and made the program have more of his identity. Still, I'd take Ash in a landslide. As far as staffs go, I think Coach Gregorak is a fantastic coach. I think Heysohn (sp?) the new offensive coordinator has a brilliant mind. But I'd take Bo Beck teaching my defensive line to be mean, irreverent SOBs, Kane Ioane mentoring All-Americas left and right, Jason McEndoo working wizardry with young offensive linemen any day of the week. I think Montana State has a few of the most talented young assistants in the league. Edge: Bobcats

6. Community: I grew up in Missoula. I lived there from when I was 7 until I was 22. It's a great place. It's filled with character and characters. There's a lot going on if you like "original" things. But the quality of life in Bozeman is second to none. The sun shines more. There's hardly any traffic. You don't wait in line for anything. It's clean. Most importantly, it's a 15 minute drive from a sweet ski hill. A lot of you paint me as this guy who couldn't ever get another job if I wanted. I just got offered another newspaper job YESTERDAY. I choose to live here because I LOVE it here. This gig I have now is my avenue to build something unique with an endlessly high ceiling and get to live in paradise while doing it. Edge: Montana State in a landslide.

Montana is an institution and a football program that lives off of nepotism. That's coming from an alum. Will the Griz always be a formidable opponent? Certainly. There's too much tradition, too many advantages they have like Washington-Grizzly for them to completely fall off the map. But the only thing that makes Montana State the "little brother", at least when it comes to football, is the fact that many Bobcat fans believe it to be true. These are peer programs. Both sides of the rivalry would agree. And it's a fantastic thing for the state of Montana.
Cat hater.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by LIBBYCAT » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:20 am

Lord knows I don't want to be perceived as picking on Colter but a couple of minor corrections are in order I believe [-( .Weren't there a couple of victories and a post season appearance "vacated" by the NCAA? I realize that this hardly changes the overall numbers but it has dramatically affected recruiting and attendance at our sister university. I don't want to belabor the issue but would like to point out another subtle issue deserving comment. This is a fan sight? Right? Let's not lose perspective on that! Fans, analysts, journalists (and antagonists, for you alpha) all have a place in this kind of thing. Please don't bully or belittle another's opinion that is stated as such. One last thing, how fast would a bus ticket have been issued in Missoula for a journalist who chose the Griz over the Cats?
Tom and all who regularly add constructive unbiased facts, thanks! Otherwise FTG and kick the crap out of NAU this weekend!

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:59 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
catdaddy7 wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Lovethecats75 wrote:So, let me get this right. What you are saying is the only way to get as good as the griz is to be as big of a$$holes as they are.
Let me just say, the CAT program has already passed the griz and we are leaving them in the dust. Best yet we did it the right way. We do not need to go into the gutter like the griz fans do. I love where we are how we got here. Let's keep doing it the right way.
Haha, this and the first post on this page is why we refer to you as Little Brother. You cats are funny :lol: :lol:
Really? Tell me what's better about Um over MSU. To simplify it I'll break it down for you.
#3 Enrollment. We passed you guys this year. Ours is growing while UM's is faltering.
So keep clinging to the thought that we are your little brother, maybe we were at one time in some areas but not
Here's something I will give my opinion on in this otherwise sadly comical thread. In terms of simply the football program, here's the factors to weigh. Several MSU coaches told me the key to recruiting this day in age comes down to two things: winning and facilities. Let's break it down. We will evaluate everything in a four-year sample size. As adults and long-time Big Sky fans, we tend to gravitate toward longer sample sizes of history. Griz supporters will always argue 7 national title game appearances in 15 years, 17 straight years in the playoffs, the streak, etc. But in all honesty,kids that will become Cats or Griz in the next four years only know about the last three or four years. No high school kid gives two ****** about the Montana 2001 national title team. It's the same thing as saying a kid picked UM over MSU because the Cats went 0-11 in 2000. It's irrelevant. Kids in high school now were like 6 years old in 2001.

Here's your factors.

1. Winning — Montana State is 40-15 dating back to the 2009 season if you include this year's 3-2 mark. During that time, Montana State has shared the last thre Big Sky titles, including the 2011 title with the Griz and posted a 27-6 record against Big SKy competition. During that same span, Montana is an identical 40-15 overall, 23-9 against Big Sky competition. Those marks are largely aided by UM's 14-1 record in 2009. Since 2010, Montana State is 33-10, Montana is 26-14. In the BIg Sky, the Bobcats have won 22 of 25 league games, while the Griz have posted a 15-10 mark. Edge: Bobcats

2. Facilities: Washington-Grizzly was long the crown jewel of the FCS. It still is among the best venues. But the additions to Bobcat Stadium coupled with the star power on the team — I think it's safe to say that DeNarius McGhee, Cody Kirk and Zach Minter have achieved star status around this state >> to any Griz since Marc Mariani left in 2008 — along with the wins and the image Coach Ash helps project makes Bobcat Stadium right up there with Washington-Griz. If you've ever stood on the sidelines at a Griz game, you know it's literally one of the loudest places in college football. It's louder than Husky Stadium, Reser Stadium (Oregon State) or Martin Stadium (Washington State). Those are my only frames of reference besides Qwest Field in Seattle and no one is touching that. But much of Wa-Griz loudness comes from the acoustics and the proximity to the field. When you are down in by the Sonny Holland end zone, it's third down, Zach Minter is waving his arms, Brad Daly digs in his cleats, it's a big game like Stony Brook last year, then Bobcat Stadium gets close. The stadiums are close in this evaluation, but Washington-Griz gets a slight edge. When you throw in all the other facilities — weight room, training room, locker rooms, etc., — Montana State blows Montana out of the water. Edge: Bobcats

3. Academics: I won't bore you with my full analysis, but if you get a liberal arts degree in something like, say, journalism, you are going to be poor. If you get a degree in something like, say, engineering or architecture or nursing, you are going to make a good living. Edge: Montana State

4. Administration: Again, I don't want to completely go nuts on the administration across the mountain so I will leave it at this: Royce Engstrom is lost and Waded Cruzado is a visionary. She has as much to do with the success of the football program as anyone and you have to love her because she puts equal amount of energy into all aspects of this university. It trickles down into the community. She's an amazing lady. Bozeman is lucky to have her.

5. Coaching: Delaney has revamped the attitude and made the program have more of his identity. Still, I'd take Ash in a landslide. As far as staffs go, I think Coach Gregorak is a fantastic coach. I think Heysohn (sp?) the new offensive coordinator has a brilliant mind. But I'd take Bo Beck teaching my defensive line to be mean, irreverent SOBs, Kane Ioane mentoring All-Americas left and right, Jason McEndoo working wizardry with young offensive linemen any day of the week. I think Montana State has a few of the most talented young assistants in the league. Edge: Bobcats

6. Community: I grew up in Missoula. I lived there from when I was 7 until I was 22. It's a great place. It's filled with character and characters. There's a lot going on if you like "original" things. But the quality of life in Bozeman is second to none. The sun shines more. There's hardly any traffic. You don't wait in line for anything. It's clean. Most importantly, it's a 15 minute drive from a sweet ski hill. A lot of you paint me as this guy who couldn't ever get another job if I wanted. I just got offered another newspaper job YESTERDAY. I choose to live here because I LOVE it here. This gig I have now is my avenue to build something unique with an endlessly high ceiling and get to live in paradise while doing it. Edge: Montana State in a landslide.

Montana is an institution and a football program that lives off of nepotism. That's coming from an alum. Will the Griz always be a formidable opponent? Certainly. There's too much tradition, too many advantages they have like Washington-Grizzly for them to completely fall off the map. But the only thing that makes Montana State the "little brother", at least when it comes to football, is the fact that many Bobcat fans believe it to be true. These are peer programs. Both sides of the rivalry would agree. And it's a fantastic thing for the state of Montana.

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:12 pm

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
catdaddy7 wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:

Here's your factors.

While I agree with you on many things like coaching, educations provided, and administration, you are dead wrong if you think the only thing High School kids look at is the last four years. That's simply what every Bobcat chooses to use because it is an easy out for an argument with Griz fans. Kids remember things like the Griz playing constantly in the playoffs on ESPN, youtube Montana and Montana State football. You will find clips of WAGRIZ going crazy and announcers saying lines such as "THIS HAS GOTTA BE TOPS" or "ONE OF THE BEST ENVIRONMENTS I"VE EVER EXPERIENCED" You don't find any of that with MSU. Kids love that type of thing. Second to even compare Bobcat Stadium to WAGRIZ is a joke...yes the upgraded facility is very nice but to even compare the environment is hilarious.
Lets talk about perceptions of the two programs around the country. For example South Dakotas States coach was quoted last week saying "we want what App State has, we want what NDSU has, WE WANT WHAT MONTANA has" he must have just forgot to mention MSU? The nation views Montana as a FCS landmark program, never have I heard someone mention MSU in this conversation.
Has MSU made leaps and bounds? YES, is the program up and coming and doing good things? Absolutely ...But to anyone else besides Bobcats fans...this conversation is laughable. The fact that this is constantly a conversation proves that you guys are LITTLE BROTHER, when they start talking in Missoula about how the Griz have caught up to the Cats and our program has finally passed MSU, than you can talk, but until than..... [-X

classicat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by classicat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:16 pm

=D^ Very well done Colter! You hit the nail on the head. After reading that, anyone who thinks you're a griz homer is nuts and would never listen to reason anyway.

ImagineSanta

Post by ImagineSanta » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:40 pm

BadlandsGrizFan wrote: While I agree with you on many things like coaching, educations provided, and administration, you are dead wrong if you think the only thing High School kids look at is the last four years. That's simply what every Bobcat chooses to use because it is an easy out for an argument with Griz fans. Kids remember things like the Griz playing constantly in the playoffs on ESPN, youtube Montana and Montana State football. You will find clips of WAGRIZ going crazy and announcers saying lines such as "THIS HAS GOTTA BE TOPS" or "ONE OF THE BEST ENVIRONMENTS I"VE EVER EXPERIENCED" You don't find any of that with MSU. Kids love that type of thing. Second to even compare Bobcat Stadium to WAGRIZ is a joke...yes the upgraded facility is very nice but to even compare the environment is hilarious.
Lets talk about perceptions of the two programs around the country. For example South Dakotas States coach was quoted last week saying "we want what App State has, we want what NDSU has, WE WANT WHAT MONTANA has" he must have just forgot to mention MSU? The nation views Montana as a FCS landmark program, never have I heard someone mention MSU in this conversation.
Has MSU made leaps and bounds? YES, is the program up and coming and doing good things? Absolutely ...But to anyone else besides Bobcats fans...this conversation is laughable. The fact that this is constantly a conversation proves that you guys are LITTLE BROTHER, when they start talking in Missoula about how the Griz have caught up to the Cats and our program has finally passed MSU, than you can talk, but until than..... [-X
The fact remains that you have to tell us that you are still "big brother" means you are not. You shouldn't have to defend what you are, but since you are trumpeting the brand to make sure everyone knows, shows how much it has fallen.

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:43 pm

badfangritzbum wah wah wah all I can do is talk smack, wagritz is the vatican I never have anything to add to a conversation, so let me say wah wah wah. The gritz are not the big brother, they are the senile uncle.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

catdaddy7
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catdaddy7 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:10 pm

ImagineSanta wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote: While I agree with you on many things like coaching, educations provided, and administration, you are dead wrong if you think the only thing High School kids look at is the last four years. That's simply what every Bobcat chooses to use because it is an easy out for an argument with Griz fans. Kids remember things like the Griz playing constantly in the playoffs on ESPN, youtube Montana and Montana State football. You will find clips of WAGRIZ going crazy and announcers saying lines such as "THIS HAS GOTTA BE TOPS" or "ONE OF THE BEST ENVIRONMENTS I"VE EVER EXPERIENCED" You don't find any of that with MSU. Kids love that type of thing. Second to even compare Bobcat Stadium to WAGRIZ is a joke...yes the upgraded facility is very nice but to even compare the environment is hilarious.
The fact remains that you have to tell us that you are still "big brother" means you are not. You shouldn't have to defend what you are, but since you are trumpeting the brand to make sure everyone knows, shows how much it has fallen.
Badlands are you sure you even want to bring up strength of recruiting when we gave you a severe ass-whooping this past year?
I guess T-rod and Brekke must not have gotten caught up in all the glamor of playing in Wash-Griz stadium huh?

Thank God there's Hockey this year .........

Bobcat Steve
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Steve » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Badlands did you really hear a coach say he wanted to model his team after a school that was under. 500 and didn't make the playoffs. :shrug: :shrug: :rofl: :rofl: :shrug: :bs:

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:57 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:This place makes me feel great about myself. Every single day. Thanks, guys.
Just be happy you don't have a pussy everyone wants to lick.............

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

kyle_sample
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by kyle_sample » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:14 pm

Marana CAT wrote:Colter claims being objective?? F’n great but not in the BOBCAT FOOTBALL MAGINE!!!! If it’s that close to call why would you pick the other team, he is the hometown writer!!!

Don't criticize people's jobs when you don't understand the most basic fundamental requirement of it. Colter was objective there, he thought both teams were close and he chose one based on its merits. Had he chose one team because he lives in the same town, that is not OBJECTIVE, that is SUBJECTIVE. Please, do yourself a favor and understand what it means to be objective; that means tell the story of what you're covering. If you're doing it well, you're likely to upset people at some point because the stuff you write may not always be positive, but it's accurate.
If that's something you can't understand Marana CAT, that's a problem with you, not Colter.
If one writer is choosing a team based solely on his location to it, that's a disservice to his/her profession and audience. If you would like all journalists to follow suit, journalism will no longer serve a vital role in democracy.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:31 pm

kyle_sample wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:Colter claims being objective?? F’n great but not in the BOBCAT FOOTBALL MAGINE!!!! If it’s that close to call why would you pick the other team, he is the hometown writer!!!

Don't criticize people's jobs when you don't understand the most basic fundamental requirement of it. Colter was objective there, he thought both teams were close and he chose one based on its merits. Had he chose one team because he lives in the same town, that is not OBJECTIVE, that is SUBJECTIVE. Please, do yourself a favor and understand what it means to be objective; that means tell the story of what you're covering. If you're doing it well, you're likely to upset people at some point because the stuff you write may not always be positive, but it's accurate.
If that's something you can't understand Marana CAT, that's a problem with you, not Colter.
If one writer is choosing a team based solely on his location to it, that's a disservice to his/her profession and audience. If you would like all journalists to follow suit, journalism will no longer serve a vital role in democracy.
I'm starting to like you

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:19 pm

AlphaGriz1 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:This place makes me feel great about myself. Every single day. Thanks, guys.
What is that like anyway?

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:01 pm

kyle_sample wrote: journalism will no longer serve a vital role in democracy.
:lol: Journalism already fails to serve a vital role in our "democracy." There is no such thing as an honest journalist, just someone trying to shape (read omit) facts into promoting that own writer's viewpoint. Read any article in the NY Times, Washington Post, etc.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:31 am

msuhunter wrote:
kyle_sample wrote: journalism will no longer serve a vital role in democracy.
:lol: Journalism already fails to serve a vital role in our "democracy." There is no such thing as an honest journalist, just someone trying to shape (read omit) facts into promoting that own writer's viewpoint. Read any article in the NY Times, Washington Post, etc.
I wouldn't lump all journalists together like that. The mass media in general has that reputation now, but there are very many honest, objective journalists out there.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:04 pm

Counter Assault wrote:
AlphaGriz1 wrote:

Not sure I am a pitcher not a catcher...........................

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:05 pm

AlphaGriz1 wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:
AlphaGriz1 wrote:

Not sure I am a pitcher not a catcher...........................
Not exactly bringing the heat on that comeback.

I win that round.