MSU vs NDSU 2013 rematch

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU vs NDSU 2013 rematch

Post by allcat » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:47 am

I was looking forward to the NDSU game, but I do not know the internal workings of this deal. I don't think Fields wanted to do this, but somehow his hand was forced. If the Buffalo boys want to be upset,go for it, I don't blame them. But that conference also took a team away from us at the last minute. Everybody does what is best for themselves, just remember that football is a big business.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:47 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
kyle_sample wrote:Keep in mind Montana State only has 4 scheduled home games right now and those are all conference (NAU, UC Davis, Southern Utah and Montana). Even if they get a Thursday game on Aug. 29, they still need another home game to reach six games at Bobcat Stadium
Technically true, but I'm reasonably certain MSU has one FCS and one DII team coming in. Those deals needed to wait for the NDSU deal to be bought out and the SMU deal to be confirmed. MSU was also asked by NDSU to not comment on anything until after the weekend, which is probably why you didn't see anything in Colter's story. Barring a last minute change, I expect a 12-game schedule to be released by early next week, if not sooner. One thing that hasn't been brought up is that MSU staying with the NDSU game might've made it impossible to get a FCS team into Bozeman in 2013. That would've meant MSU brought in two DII teams.
That actually makes sense and if MSU would have articulated the decision process that is leading it down this path, it would not "damage the brand" as much as it has by appearing to cower away from an "elite" matchup.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
From what I've heard NDSU asked MSU not to comment. I suppose MSU figures that's the least it could do. NDSU is understandable upset, but they probably understand a little bit the situation MSU was in.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Plainiac
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Plainiac » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:03 am

Tom. Why would NDSU ask MSU not to comment? It's the least we could do for them? What? If anything, I'd think it would be us begging them not to talk about what happened. I can just see it now. The FCS home game we'll now be able to add is gonna be a non-conference game with a conference member. Sounds awesome.

ImagineSanta
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ImagineSanta » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:04 am

Go Scats Go wrote:Image
Ironic coming from a "man" who has constantly welched on a bet for the last three years.
Don't you have some HS locker rooms to troll, PL? Gotta keep that recruiting thread up to date...

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:08 am

Plainiac wrote:Tom. Why would NDSU ask MSU not to comment?
That's what everyone at MSU is probably wondering now, too.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:38 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Seems relatively clear to me. If MSU honors their request that MSU not comment (which MSU apparently did), it provides the opportunity to get their whine in the news first. The whine would be meaningless if MSU had commented/provided an explanation.

I don't even understand their whine. Listening to bizzun fans on here, you'd think that it's such an honor to play them that they should have a dozen or more BCS teams lining up at their door. Barring that, there must be 50 FCS teams willing to cancel games just to go play the bizzun. If it's the competition they wanted, if they make the playoffs this year, they can take their shot at us then. Obviously the game meant a helluva lot more to them than it did to us.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:46 am

catscat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Seems relatively clear to me. If MSU honors their request that MSU not comment (which MSU apparently did), it provides the opportunity to get their whine in the news first. The whine would be meaningless if MSU had commented/provided an explanation.

I don't even understand their whine. Listening to bizzun fans on here, you'd think that it's such an honor to play them that they should have a dozen or more BCS teams lining up at their door. Barring that, there must be 50 FCS teams willing to cancel games just to go play the bizzun. If it's the competition they wanted, if they make the playoffs this year, they can take their shot at us then. Obviously the game meant a helluva lot more to them than it did to us.
I can certainly understand that they're disappointed and you can even expect a little whining. I don't blame them, but at some point they need to understand the reality of the situation. MSU, no school, is going to forego a home game (and its accompanying revenue) and not exercise a $100,000 buy out just to keep an opposing school and its fan base happy.

toM StUber

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:02 am

catscat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Yeah that is stupid if they did that. MSU can't comment but NDSU's whiney AD can cry in the press all he wants about it. Yeah I agree, this game meant more to them than it did for us that is for sure. The way their AD acted (Totally unproffesional - he knows nature of scheduling business) I hope they have a hard time filling that slot.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:09 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
catscat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Yeah that is stupid if they did that. MSU can't comment but NDSU's whiney AD can cry in the press all he wants about it. Yeah I agree, this game meant more to them than it did for us that is for sure. The way their AD acted (Totally unproffesional - he knows nature of scheduling business) I hope they have a hard time filling that slot.
I realize that buying out of this game makes MSU look bad, but it makes sense to anybody who pays close attention (doesn't mean we have to like the decision). If NDSU keeps up their pissing and moaning, they're bound to come out of this looking way worse than MSU. It's February--the game is 7 months away. They'll get another game, they'll sell it out, and at the end of the year their bottom line will be $100k better than if MSU had gone there. Get over it.

NDB2
New Recruit

Post by NDB2 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:32 pm

Your AD is on the radio. Does not make MSU look good.

To summarize:

We were getting around to finishing our schedule and realized that we in order to get a home game on the 29th we wanted we had to stick it to NDSU and take a money game. The whole thing will be revenue neutral.

that is straight up dirty pool in my book. MSU balanced their books by f#cking NDSU over at the 11th hour.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:37 pm

NDB2 wrote:Your AD is on the radio. Does not make MSU look good.

To summarize:

We were getting around to finishing our schedule and realized that we in order to get a home game on the 29th we wanted we had to stick it to NDSU and take a money game. The whole thing will be revenue neutral.

that is straight up dirty pool in my book. MSU balanced their books by f#cking NDSU over at the 11th hour.
It sounds like MSU simply exercised a mutually benefitting provision in the contract that was agreed upon by both parties in advance.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:39 pm

ImagineSanta wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:Image
Ironic coming from a "man" who has constantly welched on a bet for the last three years.
Don't you have some HS locker rooms to troll, PL? Gotta keep that recruiting thread up to date...
:lol:

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:39 pm

To summarize:

:-({|= I hope NDSU ends up paying a DII "cupcake" a lot of money to travel to Fargo and takes it up their financial arse. What a bunch of whiners.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Fargobison
New Recruit

Post by Fargobison » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Rich K wrote:

To summarize:

:-({|= I hope NDSU ends up paying a DII "cupcake" a lot of money to travel to Fargo and takes it up their financial arse. What a bunch of whiners.
Don't worry because that is exactly what is going to happen, except we'll go on the road before playing a DII team.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Fargobison wrote:
Rich K wrote:

To summarize:

Don't worry because that is exactly what is going to happen, except we'll go on the road before playing a DII team.
I'm not worried, I'm hoping.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:02 pm

NDB2, Fields explanation is exactly why there are buy out clauses in contracts. His job is to do whats best for MSU not NDSU. I think most Cat fans want another home game. Although we travel well most fans wouldn't be able to travel to Fargo or get tickets if the game was played. Let's face it, there is no expalantion Fields can give that you bison fans are going to agree with. He accomplishes a lot for MSU with this move. That's his job. Yes, maybe it should have been done sooner but we don't know all the implications. Sh-t happens!

Bottom line is you guys need to go whine on your own board. You have whined to excess on here. You might also want to take a course in coping with change. You and Fargobison in your little minds can't seem to grasp that change is constant!

Fargobison
New Recruit

Post by Fargobison » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:07 pm

Rich K wrote:
Fargobison wrote:
Rich K wrote:

To summarize:

I'm not worried, I'm hoping.
You don't even need to hope, it is certainty.

I don't blame your fans one bit for what happened. I think your AD is a bumbling fool and I'll just leave it at that.

Bison Dan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bison Dan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:15 pm

bobcatbob wrote:NDB2, Fields explanation is exactly why there are buy out clauses in contracts. His job is to do whats best for MSU not NDSU. I think most Cat fans want another home game. Although we travel well most fans wouldn't be able to travel to Fargo or get tickets if the game was played. Let's face it, there is no expalantion Fields can give that you bison fans are going to agree with. He accomplishes a lot for MSU with this move. That's his job. Yes, maybe it should have been done sooner but we don't know all the implications. Sh-t happens!

Bottom line is you guys need to go whine on your own board. You have whined to excess on here. You might also want to take a course in coping with change. You and Fargobison in your little minds can't seem to grasp that change is constant!
Game would have been on TV for sure. This is a game that fans of both teams should be wanting bad, not making excuses for coaches and AD's. I wonder what the players think?

NDB2
New Recruit

Post by NDB2 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:16 pm

bobcatbob wrote:Yes, maybe it should have been done sooner
Ya think?

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:35 pm

Yes it would have probably been on TV. But, for the majority of fans, I think they enjoy going to home games in Bozeman. Yes it would have been a great match-up. But it's not happening. Time to move on and quit whining!