MSU vs NDSU 2013 rematch

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU vs NDSU 2013 rematch

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:48 pm

tampa_griz wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:One more important reason this was a necessary move for MSU, that the sixth home game especially one the Thhursday before labor day weekend is huge for the Bozeman community. It will generate millions of dollars here in Bozeman between hotel occupancy, bars and reasturants and overall shopping. We could not schedule a Div II school on that Thursday because they are not allowed to play in August. This is the only way we could make it work. It was the right move for MSU!
Only 5 home games wouldn't be so bad in an 11 game season, but not in a 12 game season. That's yet yet another reason this move was made.
But for how long has MSU known it was a 12-game season and that a home game is good for local businesses? Did they just realize this a week ago?
Of course he knew that it was a 12-game season. One man's waiting too long is another man's trying too hard. If Fields pulls the plug in November, did he not work hard enough to make the NDSU game happen? Does he not look like he's trying to back out without even trying to find another home game?
Last edited by [cat_bracket] on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:48 pm

tampa_griz wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:One more important reason this was a necessary move for MSU, that the sixth home game especially one the Thhursday before labor day weekend is huge for the Bozeman community. It will generate millions of dollars here in Bozeman between hotel occupancy, bars and reasturants and overall shopping. We could not schedule a Div II school on that Thursday because they are not allowed to play in August. This is the only way we could make it work. It was the right move for MSU!
Only 5 home games wouldn't be so bad in an 11 game season, but not in a 12 game season. That's yet yet another reason this move was made.
But for how long has MSU known it was a 12-game season and that a home game is good for local businesses? Did they just realize this a week ago?
They apparently began to realize how expensive it would be to lure an FCS opponent for the opening game in the last couple months ... which makes sense, given that this kind of market info can only be known as the process works itself out.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
tampa_griz wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
They apparently began to realize how expensive it would be to lure an FCS opponent for the opening game in the last couple months ... which makes sense, given that this kind of market info can only be known as the process works itself out.
I posed this question in the Bobcat Beat section, but I'm wondering if signing a home and home deal with an FCS school was out of the question, as those contracts don't generally have a guarantee that comes with it, or if we tried that with schools but couldn't get a deal done.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:37 pm

It might also have been hard to sign a home and home deal with anybody since we would have wanted the first leg in Bozeman, and we were actively buying out the back-end of a home and home to schedule that new game.

It's kind of like a guy/girl who starts going out with somebody who is cheating on their current girlfriend/boyfriend to hook up with them in the first place ... you have to be at least a little skeptical about how that will end.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:It might also have been hard to sign a home and home deal with anybody since we would have wanted the first leg in Bozeman, and we were actively buying out the back-end of a home and home to schedule that new game.

It's kind of like a guy/girl who starts going out with somebody who is cheating on their current girlfriend/boyfriend to hook up with them in the first place ... you have to be at least a little skeptical about how that will end.
Im saying we could have done the home and home and kept ndsu since we wouldnt have needed smu money to bring in another fcs home game.

the way fields explained it was that we needed a fbs game so we could provide a guarantee to an fcs team to travel to bozeman. Im just wondering if there was another option.

Also, I should say I dont have a strong opinion on the matter, im more just curious about the process.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:48 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:It might also have been hard to sign a home and home deal with anybody since we would have wanted the first leg in Bozeman, and we were actively buying out the back-end of a home and home to schedule that new game.

Gotta agree, requiring the first leg in Bozeman, and for the dates we had available might have been too restrictive. I liked your analogy, but I'd have to think that if we had been able to get the first leg of a home and home in Bozeman then we would not have needed to buy out the back end of the NDSU series?

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:57 pm

codecat wrote:

Gotta agree, requiring the first leg in Bozeman, and for the dates we had available might have been too restrictive. I liked your analogy, but I'd have to think that if we had been able to get the first leg of a home and home in Bozeman then we would not have needed to buy out the back end of the NDSU series?
Yeah, good point. My post didn't make much sense. What a waste of an analogy!

NDB2
New Recruit

Post by NDB2 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:33 pm

[quote="codecat"
Gotta agree, requiring the first leg in Bozeman, and for the dates we had available might have been too restrictive. [/quote]

Yeah. Fields only had four years to figure it out. I'm sure that our AD would have been flexible in moving the game to the other September open date.

Are you guys starting to realize that Ash wussed out?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:43 pm

NDB2 wrote:[quote="codecat"
Gotta agree, requiring the first leg in Bozeman, and for the dates we had available might have been too restrictive.

Yeah. Fields only had four years to figure it out. I'm sure that our AD would have been flexible in moving the game to the other September open date.

Are you guys starting to realize that Ash wussed out?[/quote]
Do you realize that you have become a whiney pissy pants?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:58 pm

NDB2 wrote:
codecat wrote: Gotta agree, requiring the first leg in Bozeman, and for the dates we had available might have been too restrictive.

Are you guys starting to realize that Ash wussed out?
MSU couldn't find a FCS team to come to Bozeman for a reasonable price. Fields, Davies, et al looked very hard, because they knew our fans, players and coaches all wanted to see the NDSU vs. MSU game happen. It is very difficult/expensive to get a FCS team to go on the road without a return date. I have a hard time believing Fields or Ash was simply afraid of playing NDSU or suddenly became afraid and therefore waited until now to chicken out. If they were afraid of playing the Bison they would've bailed out long ago. It's obvious they did everything they could to make the game happen, but when it started to threaten the chance of hosting a sixth home game they went a different route.

Also, I just noticed NDSU now (without MSU on the schedule) only has 10 games scheduled for 2013, which means they were at 11 and having a tough time finding a 12th game. Five FCS, but no DII game on the schedule, which is what a lot of teams use to fill out their home slate.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:04 pm

NDB2 wrote:I'm sure that our AD would have been flexible in moving the game to the other September open date.
Would he have been flexible about moving the game to Bozeman?

If not, it's kind of a moot point.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:41 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Also, I just noticed NDSU now (without MSU on the schedule) only has 10 games scheduled for 2013, which means they were at 11 and having a tough time finding a 12th game. Five FCS, but no DII game on the schedule, which is what a lot of teams use to fill out their home slate.

I think they only wanted to schedule 11 games.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:58 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I think they only wanted to schedule 11 games.
Well that certainly begs a question that I'm not about to ask. :lol:

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:41 pm

tampa_griz wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Your opinion on this issue matters not; UM is the King of buying out home and homes.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:53 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
tampa_griz wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Your opinion on this issue matters not; UM is the King of buying out home and homes.
It was a question. Not an opinion. But MSU has bought out games more recently than UM has.....against weaker competition and for more money.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:13 am

tampa_griz wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Rare that I agree with a Griz fan on much...but on this point I do. Hopefully PF is locking down 2014 now. I think the buyout was lame. Mostly because it came so late. Now NDSU is scrambling to fill their schedule. Most folks understand s*%$# happens, but getting a late notice doesn't give the other party time to react. These contracts should have a longer notice to buyout or make it more expensive to buyout as you get closer to the game.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:24 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
tampa_griz wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
Rare that I agree with a Griz fan on much...but on this point I do. Hopefully PF is locking down 2014 now. I think the buyout was lame. Mostly because it came so late. Now NDSU is scrambling to fill their schedule. Most folks understand s*%$# happens, but getting a late notice doesn't give the other party time to react. These contracts should have a longer notice to buyout or make it more expensive to buyout as you get closer to the game.
I could give you this point, but since both NDSU and MSU signed this agreement with a seemingly open buy-out clause, then shame on NDSU for signing it. People can blame MSU, Fields and Ash all they want, but they did nothing wrong. If people want to look at this in a sunshine-and-daisies sort of way, yeah, MSU left NDSU with a scheduling problem. MSU needed to do what was best for MSU, and I'm glad for that. Its not like we just decided we didn't want to play the Bison (regardless of what a couple posters believe). In the end, its NDSU's own damn fault for allowing a late buy out. Its not like they're a victim here - they walked away with $100,000 which, and since NDSU is the next coming of Christ to FCS football, should help easily draw someone else to Fargo to play them. The Bison will be fine.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Lovethecats75
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Lovethecats75 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:35 am

KittieKop wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
tampa_griz wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
I could give you this point, but since both NDSU and MSU signed this agreement with a seemingly open buy-out clause, then shame on NDSU for signing it. People can blame MSU, Fields and Ash all they want, but they did nothing wrong. If people want to look at this in a sunshine-and-daisies sort of way, yeah, MSU left NDSU with a scheduling problem. MSU needed to do what was best for MSU, and I'm glad for that. Its not like we just decided we didn't want to play the Bison (regardless of what a couple posters believe). In the end, its NDSU's own damn fault for allowing a late buy out. Its not like they're a victim here - they walked away with $100,000 which, and since NDSU is the next coming of Christ to FCS football, should help easily draw someone else to Fargo to play them. The Bison will be fine.
+1,2,3,&4

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:47 am

Lovethecats75 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
tampa_griz wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
+1,2,3,&4
And if the Griz had done the same thing, would you have the same opinion..... I doubt it.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

ABQCat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ABQCat » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:56 am

Go Scats Go wrote:
Lovethecats75 wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
tampa_griz wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
+1,2,3,&4
And if the Griz had done the same thing, would you have the same opinion..... I doubt it.
grizz who? =;