MSU vs NDSU 2013 rematch

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU vs NDSU 2013 rematch

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:22 pm

Cat8191 wrote:I just had a random thought. I wonder if this was actually the source of Coach Mac's lack of integrity rant during recruiting season. I can't imagine that it happened overnight, or that any of the coaches are very proud of it.
wasn't that in response to Riley Deen de-committing? thats what i thought anyway...

FTG- GO CATS GO!

catsack
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catsack » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:34 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Cat8191 wrote:I just had a random thought. I wonder if this was actually the source of Coach Mac's lack of integrity rant during recruiting season. I can't imagine that it happened overnight, or that any of the coaches are very proud of it.
wasn't that in response to Riley Deen de-committing? thats what i thought anyway...
I thought it might be about Gunnar and Braun decommitting !
Last edited by catsack on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lakesbison

Post by lakesbison » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:36 pm

Hey guys. Do you want to know THINGS TO DO IN DALLAS ? ?

Pregame pep rally 10,000+. At dr pepper park
3rd base bar where 2 NDSU flags hang & NDSU videos on screens
Sambuca grill where you can visit lakesbison suite next to emmitt smith
Twin peaks restaurant with scantily clad girls with NDSU skirts
Tailgate starts at 8 am with over 15,000 people
Championship players walk to frisco stadium

Ohhhh wait. THAT'S ONLY IN JANUARY.... We aint ever been there in September. My bad.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:49 pm

lakesbison wrote:Hey guys. Do you want to know THINGS TO DO IN DALLAS ? ?

Pregame pep rally 10,000+. At dr pepper park
3rd base bar where 2 NDSU flags hang & NDSU videos on screens
Sambuca grill where you can visit lakesbison suite next to emmitt smith
Twin peaks restaurant with scantily clad girls with NDSU skirts
Tailgate starts at 8 am with over 15,000 people
Championship players walk to frisco stadium

Ohhhh wait. THAT'S ONLY IN JANUARY.... We aint ever been there in September. My bad.
dude, get over it. These things happen, most msu fans are as bummed as anyone. Try not to lose too much sleep over this, jeez. :lol:

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:02 pm

Siouxfan wrote:http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/390293/

NDSU's AD is just one huge whiner, much like his fan base.

He's calling out Montana State in the local paper. How classless can he be? He's the one that agreed to the $100,000 buyout. He only has himself to blame. MSU completed their end of the contractual agreement.
Gene Taylor on Saturday said the Bobcats have opted to buy out of next September’s football game at the Fargodome, leaving the Bison scrambling to find an 11th opponent.

“Really angry, really disappointed,” Taylor said. “Stunned. I just don’t understand it.”

He said MSU will pay the $100,000 exit fee to play another game, which is presumed to be against Football Bowl Subdivision Southern Methodist. Taylor said the final decision was made after Friday’s announcement that the Bison will play Delaware State on Sept. 21.
Taylor said. “We uphold our end of the bargain … then they tell us in late February. It’s not how we do business here.
Strange how Taylor talks about the right way to do business. The way that Taylor does business is state that forging tens of thousands of signatures on an election issue by ten of his players isn't that big of a deal - no suspensions came even after they are guilty. He said he'll wait until the court finds them guilty because he has his doubts. In the middle of the season when all ten plead guilty, he doesn't do anything. But when the softball team has party problems, those players get suspended for 10 or more games even before they are convicted. The legislature is changing the law to make what NDSU's players did into felonies, not high level misdemeanors, and Taylor has the gall to state "it's not the way we do business here". Wow. Just wow. The way they do business is not to follow contracts or laws.

Calling out Fields publicly is low class. Just will make it all that tougher for NDSU to get another game, and likely won't be from another Big Sky team.
Well said. The 'right' way to do business. LMAO. He needs to look back into his own program.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:21 pm

Is there any chance MSU needed to do this in order to get sixth home game?. I think Mesa is the D2, but I think they want the other NC game vs a fcs team. Use the $ from SMU to buy out NDSU and the rest to pay a FCS team to come here?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Plainiac
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Plainiac » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:46 pm

Tom. Is there any chance PF had a short talk with Ash and decided that hey, if we're gonna take a beating we may as well make as much money as we can. Just when it starts to look like we may be turning the corner and being taken seriously in FCS football, PF pulls back the reins and puts a "kick me" sign on our back. This guy is a horrific AD.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:47 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Is there any chance MSU needed to do this in order to get sixth home game?. I think Mesa is the D2, but I think they want the other NC game vs a fcs team. Use the $ from SMU to buy out NDSU and the rest to pay a FCS team to come here?
I'd say that is very likely the case. I imagine MSU would pretty much want to do anything it can to avoid having to schedule both non-conference home games against D-II opponents.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:47 pm

Plainiac wrote:Tom. Is there any chance PF had a short talk with Ash and decided that hey, if we're gonna take a beating we may as well make as much money as we can. Just when it starts to look like we may be turning the corner and being taken seriously in FCS football, PF pulls back the reins and puts a "kick me" sign on our back. This guy is a horrific AD.
Yes, he is so horrific that MSU won the Big Sky's President's Cup last year. Just terrible.

Plainiac
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Plainiac » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:51 pm

Maybe we should start hanging presidents cup flags at the football stadium.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:52 pm

btribby wrote:This is a major bummer. Im going to guess this is happening to rearrange the schedule so we can have six home games. But whatever the reasons are it makes MSU look terrible and I have a hard time defending our school.
This has been my thought too, scheduling and money I suppose. I would guess that this contractual exercise of buying out has anything to do with wanting to or not wanting to play NDSU.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Plainiac wrote:Maybe we should start hanging presidents cup flags at the football stadium.
Too bad you don't have many of those to do that with over in Missoula:)

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:54 pm

Plainiac wrote:Maybe we should start hanging presidents cup flags at the football stadium.
Sounds good to me. Recognize the athletes for their academic performance and also give some recognition to those in sports other than football who still work their asses off even though they perform in front of tens of fans instead of tens of thousands.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:55 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Is there any chance MSU needed to do this in order to get sixth home game?. I think Mesa is the D2, but I think they want the other NC game vs a fcs team. Use the $ from SMU to buy out NDSU and the rest to pay a FCS team to come here?
As I said in the other thread, that is the only acceptable reason. I also think it is a very likely reason.

WYOBISONMAN
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by WYOBISONMAN » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:19 pm

Siouxfan wrote:So some Montana St fans want a game near Minnesota for recruiting.

Guess what? There is already a conference game. Why have two?

Recruit Minnesota and Texas in the same year. That's what this switch does.
Beating the whioux is meaningless because your team sucks so bad. Now.......put your tail between your legs and go lay by your dish......

lakesbison

Post by lakesbison » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:35 pm

WYO Dont feed to invisible troll. cmon man.

No one PM"d me yet about the "things to do in Dallas" ill be a tour guide for you cat fans!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU vs NDSU 2013 rematches

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:39 pm

I swear there was a South Park episode something like this.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU vs NDSU 2013 rematches

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm

TomCat88 wrote:I swear there was a South Park episode something like this.
Perhaps we can use the Chewbacca defense?

Siouxfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Siouxfan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:26 pm

Look at the economics of this decision and see how it was an no-brainer:

For MSU to go to Fargo on charter (bus not feasible due to distance):

loss of $85,000 (just chartering and the wait time are the largest expense)
vs.
paying $100,000 for buyout

A loss of $15,000 for doing the buyout with NDSU

For MSU to go to Dallas

-$100,000 for charter and hotels
but receive
+$350,000 for guarantee (+/-) $50,000

A gain of $250,000 to go to SMU

Net gain: $235,000 (+/-) $50,000

Should Fields have gone to Fargo and paid out $85,000 for travel, or should he have not chose SMU, whereby he forfeits a likely $235,000 gain?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:46 pm

Siouxfan wrote:Look at the economics of this decision and see how it was an no-brainer:

For MSU to go to Fargo on charter (bus not feasible due to distance):

loss of $85,000 (just chartering and the wait time are the largest expense)
vs.
paying $100,000 for buyout

A loss of $15,000 for doing the buyout with NDSU

For MSU to go to Dallas

-$100,000 for charter and hotels
but receive
+$350,000 for guarantee (+/-) $50,000

A gain of $250,000 to go to SMU

Net gain: $235,000 (+/-) $50,000

Should Fields have gone to Fargo and paid out $85,000 for travel, or should he have not chose SMU, whereby he forfeits a likely $235,000 gain?
Then takes that gain, uses it to get an FCS non-conference opponent to come to Bozeman, likely schedules the Bobcats an additional win. With a better record, MSU hosts at least one playoff game, something that nets Montana State profit.

Unless Montana State has the money from the FBS payout, they don't have the money to pay an FCS opponent to come to Bobcat Stadium. You play NDSU, you still end up having to play an FBS, you start 0-2 and you don't host a playoff game.