Split from "Top Fans" thread

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

User avatar
Nick
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 667
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:40 pm
Location: Alpha's mind

Post by Nick » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:09 pm

PDXKat wrote:
Proud Griz Man wrote:Don't blame UM.

Familiar theme?

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.as ... 102302.htm
Ah yes, I remember that year well. If you read the article we weren't even mentioned as "backseat drivers" in the conference. In a month from that article the "peasants" from the east came into WG, kicked the griz butts, and got the autobid. Great memory and I like your "familiar theme" analysis.
I think you guys just proved this guys point in the article that that's all you guys can/will talk about. :roll: No matter how bad the Cats got kicked last year or during the streak.



PDXKat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:58 pm

Post by PDXKat » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:26 pm

Nick wrote:
PDXKat wrote:
Proud Griz Man wrote:Don't blame UM.

Familiar theme?

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.as ... 102302.htm
Ah yes, I remember that year well. If you read the article we weren't even mentioned as "backseat drivers" in the conference. In a month from that article the "peasants" from the east came into WG, kicked the griz butts, and got the autobid. Great memory and I like your "familiar theme" analysis.
I think you guys just proved this guys point in the article that that's all you guys can/will talk about. :roll: No matter how bad the Cats got kicked last year or during the streak.
This was done in fun because proud cut griz boy came on here and said something stupid. We can't just let it pass on our own board now can we? :wink:



Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired
Posts: 2151
Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 5:43 am
Location: Use to be New Jersey

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:09 pm

Cat Grad wrote:For whatever reason, now I'm looking forward to the top ten :roll: I doubt you can justify another program (with a straight face anyway) beating Georgia Southern or Furman. :wink:
How could the GRIZ not be number 1?? If not us than Delaware.


The GRIZ, a quarter century of total football dominance over the cats.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6510
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:05 am

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:09 pm

Yeah, right :roll:



User avatar
Nick
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 667
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:40 pm
Location: Alpha's mind

Post by Nick » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:08 pm

Cat Grad wrote:Yeah, right :roll:
De-nial is not just a river in Egypt :wink:



CatFamily
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 4:09 pm
Location: Eastern Montana Fighting Bobcat Fan

Post by CatFamily » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:04 pm

Here we go again... someone always dredging up you against us from dumb or MSU. Get over it... I am a Montanan and very excited that we have two universities with quality programs and two of the top fan bases in the nation D1AA. The Bobcats are getting louder and beginning to fill our stadium regularly and the facilities are continuing to improve and are some of the best in the D1AA. And under AD Fields we will get the stadium completed and fill the 20,000 seats it will have. Damn proud to be a Bobcat for sure.


Montana State Fighting Bobcats reign supreme

Grizlaw
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3277
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:04 pm
Location: Queens, NY

Post by Grizlaw » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:18 pm

One thing I'll say about the rivalry, is that there does seem to be more actual "hatred" on the MSU side than on the UM side. For me (and, I think, for most Griz fans), although it is our biggest rivalry by far, I can say honestly that I don't actively *hate* the Cats; I just consider it a fun rivalry, and when the game is over each year, I'll cheer for the Cats if they're in the playoffs. With a lot of Cat fans, that's just not the case; they would *always* cheer against the Griz, no matter what. For my part, there have been other teams throughout the years that I've disliked more than the Cats (Idaho and BSU when they were in the Sky, and Northern Iowa when they came to Missoula in 2001 -- I'm still not quite over those punks yet). With Cat fans, though, I get the sense that they pretty universally hate UM above all other schools.

Anyway -- not intended as smack, just an observation. And before nine different people jump up to respond to this -- yes, I realize there are fans like this on both sides of the rivalry, but it does seem more prevalent on the MSU side.


I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

theblackgecko
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:14 am

Post by theblackgecko » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:37 pm

CelticCat wrote:I appreciate the article, and the recognition, but I agree it just painted a picture that we only play an entire season of football for game a year, the Brawl. Go back 3-4 years, and I will agree 100% with this statement, as we were consistently bad and the playoffs had eluded us for quite some time, so the only bright spot each season was the chance to beat those bastards in Missoula.

I keep tabs on all BCS teams, maybe the Griz moreso, but that is because the Griz are the biggest threat year in and year out.

I do agree though that there is plenty of people still who believe beating the Griz is the equivalent to winning the Super Bowl.

We here at Bobcatnation need to set the example and concern ourselves more with winning the BCS, playoffs, and hopefully a NC someday.
I'll agree with that, although I have a different reason for following the Griz.

The reason I raz Cat fans so much about the focus on the Griz is that I have heard Bobcat players talk about how sick they are of all the focus on the Griz from the Bobcat nation. The players work their @$$es off only to play in a stadium that won't cheer for the defense, but will stand up and boo the Griz. That gets me angry.

I'd like to see more support from Bobcat nation and Bobcat fans. I'd like Reno H. Sales to be rocking when the 'Cats are on defense. I'd like Bobcat fans to focus on the great accomplishments and progress that the program has made. I'd like to see Bobcat athletics be a force in the Big Sky Conference.



CatFamily
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 4:09 pm
Location: Eastern Montana Fighting Bobcat Fan

Post by CatFamily » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:38 pm

Grizlaw... understand where you are coming from but I would say that just the opposite is true. I believe there are similar fans on both sides who are fiercly loyal for their own team and fiercly dislike the Cats or Griz... but I find more smack type comments coming from Griz fans. I do think there is a tendancy for us Bobcat fans to jump to defense of the Cats because of the lopsideness of the rivalry for awhile that is now evening out. It is a GREAT rivalry... and getting better because FINALLY the teams are even and the pendulum is swinging back the other way.


Montana State Fighting Bobcats reign supreme

PDXKat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:58 pm

Post by PDXKat » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:06 pm

bearBAC wrote:
CatFamily wrote:Grizlaw... understand where you are coming from but I would say that just the opposite is true. I believe there are similar fans on both sides who are fiercely loyal for their own team and fiercely dislike the Cats or Griz... but I find more smack type comments coming from Griz fans. I do think there is a tendency for us Bobcat fans to jump to defense of the Cats because of the lopsidedness of the rivalry for awhile that is now evening out. It is a GREAT rivalry... and getting better because FINALLY the teams are even and the pendulum is swinging back the other way.
As usual on bobcat nation, a tread will start out to be about some write up about the cats. But, after one or two posts the whole thread turns into Grizsmack?
They all do! Bobcatnation as a whole is obsessed with their own Griz hatred. Why?
Wow, from anyone but you, from anyone but you.



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9806
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Post by CelticCat » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:59 pm

bearBAC wrote:
CatFamily wrote:Grizlaw... understand where you are coming from but I would say that just the opposite is true. I believe there are similar fans on both sides who are fiercely loyal for their own team and fiercely dislike the Cats or Griz... but I find more smack type comments coming from Griz fans. I do think there is a tendency for us Bobcat fans to jump to defense of the Cats because of the lopsidedness of the rivalry for awhile that is now evening out. It is a GREAT rivalry... and getting better because FINALLY the teams are even and the pendulum is swinging back the other way.
As usual on bobcat nation, a tread will start out to be about some write up about the cats. But, after one or two posts the whole thread turns into Grizsmack?
They all do! Bobcatnation as a whole is obsessed with their own Griz hatred. Why?
Because you touch yourself at night.

In all seriousness, (bear doesn't understand that word) they hatred can be ascribed to one thing - the streak. Let's see the Griz lose 16 in a row and not hate the Cats. :P Plus the Griz, because of winning so often in recent years, have acquired a less than desirable attitude towards the Cats. I call it the "little brother" syndrom. They treat the Cats like a little brother - push us down and make us cry and always think they can beat us no matter how good we may be. Another good analogy would be they consider us 2nd class citizens. That in turn fuels the hatred. It's a vicous cycle.

By the way bear, the article is about how important the griz are to the Cats, why wouldn't we discuss that aspect? Man you are thick.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Proud Griz Man
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:11 pm

Post by Proud Griz Man » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:40 am

CelticCat wrote:... Plus the Griz, because of winning so often in recent years, have acquired a less than desirable attitude towards the Cats. I call it the "little brother" syndrom. They treat the Cats like a little brother - push us down and make us cry and always think they can beat us no matter how good we may be. Another good analogy would be they consider us 2nd class citizens. That in turn fuels the hatred. It's a vicous cycle.
Please get over it. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Throughout the years UM players and coaches approached the MSU game with the same respect and enthusiasm, that you show on your side. The Griz/Cat game is usually very competitive, with very few blow-outs (either way). Don't make nonsense up about our attitude. :? :? :?



User avatar
ralph
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:27 am

Post by ralph » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:15 am

I read the article to say that the Bobcats have great football fans and the team they most like to beat and have beaten is the Griz. We all know the history and the Bobcats have the upper hand these days.


------------
FCS IS BEST!

eRat-a-Cat-er
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:59 pm

Post by eRat-a-Cat-er » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:11 am

Ralph wrote:I read the article to say that the Bobcats have great football fans and the team they most like to beat and have beaten is the Griz. We all know the history and the Bobcats have the upper hand these days.


Ralph, would you mind elaborating on your previous entry? :shock: :roll: :shock:

...reminds me of an observation made by another...

Image :wink:


What just thinkin' about the Griz does to most Cats! GO GRIZ!

Image

User avatar
ralph
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:27 am

Post by ralph » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:32 am

eRat-a-Cat-er wrote:
Ralph wrote:... We all know the history and the Bobcats have the upper hand these days.
Ralph, would you mind elaborating on your previous entry?
Sat 11/23/2002 Montana State at Montana, Montana State 10-7
Sat 11/22/2003 Montana at Montana State, Montana State 27-20
Sat 11/20/2004 Montana St at Montana, Montana 38-22

That leaves MSU with the upper hand lately, 2-1. Is that the elaboration you wanted?


------------
FCS IS BEST!

GFGriz
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:43 am
Location: Great Falls
Contact:

Post by GFGriz » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:21 am

ralph wrote:
eRat-a-Cat-er wrote:
Ralph wrote:... We all know the history and the Bobcats have the upper hand these days.
Ralph, would you mind elaborating on your previous entry?
Sat 11/23/2002 Montana State at Montana, Montana State 10-7
Sat 11/22/2003 Montana at Montana State, Montana State 27-20
Sat 11/20/2004 Montana St at Montana, Montana 38-22

That leaves MSU with the upper hand lately, 2-1. Is that the elaboration you wanted?
Not really. The Griz have the upper hand lately, 17-2. Let me elaborate:

1986 59-28 (Griz)
1986 55-7 (Griz)
1988 17-3 (Griz)
1989 17-2 (Griz)
1990 35-18 (Griz)
1991 16-9 (Griz)
1992 29-17 (Griz)
1993 42-30 (Griz)
1994 55-20 (Griz)
1995 42-33 (Griz)
1996 35-14 (Griz)
1997 27-25 (Griz)
1998 28-21 (Griz)
1999 49-3 (Griz)
2000 28-3 (Griz)
2001 38-27 (Griz)
2002 10-7 (Cats)
2003 27-20 (Cats)
2004 38-22 (Griz)

And the Griz have the upper hand overall, 64-36-4.



User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8786
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Post by kmax » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:23 am

GFGriz wrote:
ralph wrote:
eRat-a-Cat-er wrote:
Ralph wrote:... We all know the history and the Bobcats have the upper hand these days.
Ralph, would you mind elaborating on your previous entry?
Sat 11/23/2002 Montana State at Montana, Montana State 10-7
Sat 11/22/2003 Montana at Montana State, Montana State 27-20
Sat 11/20/2004 Montana St at Montana, Montana 38-22

That leaves MSU with the upper hand lately, 2-1. Is that the elaboration you wanted?
Not really. The Griz have the upper hand lately, 17-2. Let me elaborate:

1986 59-28 (Griz)
1986 55-7 (Griz)
1988 17-3 (Griz)
1989 17-2 (Griz)
1990 35-18 (Griz)
1991 16-9 (Griz)
1992 29-17 (Griz)
1993 42-30 (Griz)
1994 55-20 (Griz)
1995 42-33 (Griz)
1996 35-14 (Griz)
1997 27-25 (Griz)
1998 28-21 (Griz)
1999 49-3 (Griz)
2000 28-3 (Griz)
2001 38-27 (Griz)
2002 10-7 (Cats)
2003 27-20 (Cats)
2004 38-22 (Griz)

And the Griz have the upper hand overall, 64-36-4.
Gee, couldn't see that one coming. :roll:


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

User avatar
SonomaCat
Moderator
Posts: 23951
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Contact:

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:41 am

How many additional posts will it take to now debate the definition of the term "lately?"



Post Reply