O'Brien non sequitur

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu May 20, 2004 5:01 pm

CTOWM: Let's all just pray on that one.

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Fri May 21, 2004 8:24 am

BAC, let me ask you this...if O'Brien had been a coach for the Griz, how many posters on here do you think would be "bashing" the school/athletic department?

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri May 21, 2004 9:27 am

Probably about the same number as the Griz fans who have done the same in the present case. Why?

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Fri May 21, 2004 9:57 am

I'm not seeing it that way. When the budget downfall became public, Cat fans let us have it. Both on here, and on egriz. The budget woes are bad, but in my mind nowhere near the severity of drug dealing on/near a campus. I don't think most on here would be very polite about it.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri May 21, 2004 10:10 am

Take off the blinders and lose the victim mentality, man. There are plenty of low self-esteem types on both sides who make full use of the ammunition at their disposal, right or wrong. If anyone on either side claims otherwise, they are letting their personal bias affect their perception of reality.

I've probably read a lot more posts from Bobcat fans than you have, and I can tell you that a lot/most of us weren't thrilled at all about the UM budget woes -- that's not a good thing for any of us (the last thing we need is more uninformed bashing of athletic department expenditures by anti-sports folks in the state). There have certainly been some gratuitous cheap shots thrown at UM over the issue, sure, but that's just the nature of anonymous internet bulletin boards.

On the flipside, are you saying that UM fans have been polite and reserved about the O'Brien issue? Please! We have been hearing about that virtually non-stop since the whole thing came out. It's old news now, so maybe it's not getting as much smack play as you would like right now, but it's been thoroughly hashed out, trust me.

You have to quit judging MSU fans by the few rabble rousers that show up on UM boards to talk smack. Likewise, we shouldn't judge UM fans exclusively by those Griz fans who do the same over here.

Bozgriz

Post by Bozgriz » Fri May 21, 2004 10:31 am

Oops! Got caught up in the excitement of the moment and now must endure the grammar editing of cat educators...

By the way, O'Brien is pleading guilty per this morning's Chronicle. 5 year minimum sentence...ouch!

BAC, you're right. There's no celebrating this matter, its just a sad embarassment to everyone. :roll:

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Fri May 21, 2004 11:30 am

Bay Area Cat wrote:On the flipside, are you saying that UM fans have been polite and reserved about the O'Brien issue?
Absolutely! We are always polite when talking about our brothers from MSU. If the Griz can't win, then root root root for the Bobcats.

:?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri May 21, 2004 11:33 am

No one should be polite about O'Brien now. He has pled guilty, and I hope everyone cat/griz fans alike crucify the bastard. He is a low life selfish scum bag who deserves to rot for awhile. JMHO

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri May 21, 2004 12:01 pm

bb: Excellent post! I understood the entire thing. Now that we are making great progress on the mechanics of your posts, let's take a big step and move on to content.

For fun, please explain the link (in your opinion) of "Holier than thou," "Arrogance" and "liberalism." Are the three terms universally and exclusively tied together, in your opinion, or are you simply using all three terms with a negative connotation to describe this one particular poster you are critiquing?

You make some interesting points, now please expand upon your ideas and convince me that you are on to something that I should learn from. Make me want to get to know the ideas behind the man behind the username.

You're doing great, man. Let's keep this momentum going!

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Fri May 21, 2004 1:08 pm

BAC, you remind me of a quote by Haliburton:

"A man is never astonished that he doesn't know what another does, but he is surprised at the gross ignorance of the other in not knowing what he does."

I'm betting that you've actually bragged to someone about how you are "schooling" someone on this board and making him look foolish. Am I right?? Would you admit it if I was?

You say we should all get along, yet you continuously try and bring BearBAC down for your own personal gain...why? Lack of self esteem? Just plain Boredom?? Or, because he's a Griz fan and you saw your chance to humble a rival fan?

Bozgriz

Post by Bozgriz » Fri May 21, 2004 1:50 pm

wbtfg: I agree... :evil:

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri May 21, 2004 2:11 pm

CTOWM: Bragging to someone about internet bulletin board bravado? Huh? Do people do that? I thought this was the place to go when one was bored at work (and one surely wouldn't admit to anyone that one was doing this instead of diligently working). We are on different planets in terms of our perceptions there, my friend.

I'm a little confused as to your participation. Why do you care? Am I to guess it is only because he is a Griz fan? If he was an obnoxious Cat fan would you rise to his defense? He comes over here frequently and is almost always an obnoxious ass (and has been in a big way on the ESPN board for years now), so I don't feel too bad in encouraging him in my own special way. You seem to think that I am somehow being unfair to bb. What are you trying to say? Is bb institutionalized or handicapped or something? Is there something I should know about him that would compel me to take it easy on him?

If he doesn't want to be picked on, and if you don't want to have to continue to come to his defense, there are some very easy solutions. Most obviously, he can quit being an obnoxious ass on this board. As long as he is, I'm not going to feel too guilty about throwing it right back at him, cloaked in a very supportive manner.

Who knows, maybe I will force him to think. That might not be such a bad thing after all, would it? It sure beats regurgitating sounds bites over and over and over.

Now, back to the question, bb, give us your theories on liberalism, arrogance and holier than thou... compare and contrast. You brought it up, so it is certainly fair to ask you to explain it, right?

Bragging about schooling someone on a sports bulletin board... that's just bizarre. The only thing stranger would be someone actually listening to someone bragging about schooling someone on a sports bulletin board without slapping them.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri May 21, 2004 2:14 pm

(And, yes, I have been having fun the last couple days. It is pretty cheap entertainment for me. Apologies to those who are getting tired of it.)

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Fri May 21, 2004 3:12 pm

BAC, we ARE on different planets. Montana or Bay area.....hmmmm

So, you are bored at work. At least I got an answer. And to answer your question, I come to his defense because one, I'm bored, and two, one of my pet peeves is someone bringing themselves up by bringing someone else down. I'm not saying this is what you are doing, but it sure seems that way. However, I came to his defense because of it...and the fact that work can only fill my time so much and this is after all, entertaining. I have no problem holding my own in an arguement and felt he needed a little defending. I should have been a defense attorney.

If he was a Cat fan I wouldn't have had to come to his defense, because you wouldn't have attacked him. I know, I know, attacked probably isn't the right word.

However, if he is an ass (and I don't know this), I will digress back to whatever topic may be at hand.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri May 21, 2004 3:25 pm

CTOWM: I wasn't really trying to prop myself up so much... I was mostly focusing on putting him down. I can see how the faux arrogance would get a little old, though.

If only the crap I was doing at work right now wasn't so boring, escapes to this board wouldn't be so much fun (relatively speaking).

I think we should be calling you the liberal now -- defending the proverbial little guy, fighting for justice, etc., etc.

And just FYI, I've gotten into it with Cat fans in the past as well, so it's not exclusively because he is a Griz fan. I'm an equal opportunity jackass when I'm in the right mood and the right adversary appears.

We need some good political banter. That would give me a good distraction for later in the day (since I think this one is petering out).

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Fri May 21, 2004 3:41 pm

BAC, this one is petering out. But I'm sure we'll lock horns again. Maybe closer to November 20th, but I'm sure it'll happen. You've been a good adversary, not that I'm getting soft. Next time you need a good arguement, don't hesitate to call me out of my summer shell (RV).

As far as being a liberal. Yeah, I guess you could call me that. I'm certainly not a conservative right wing freak of nature. Montana already has enough of those.

Politcal banter....? I live in Helena where political banter and bad driving are a way of life. Please dear GOD get me out of this town!!!!

VictorG
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by VictorG » Sun May 23, 2004 6:39 pm

Cat-theotherwhitemeat wrote:
Politcal banter....? I live in Helena where political banter and bad driving are a way of life. Please dear GOD get me out of this town!!!!
I really should have let this thread die but I couldn't resist! :D

If you want to get out of Helena, just jump on Judy Martz's coat tail)! :wink: