A question for all kitty fans...

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Swilly3224
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1265
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:09 pm
Location: You know the school
Contact:

A question for all kitty fans...

Post by Swilly3224 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:16 pm

Excuse me but I have been wondering this question for awhile but i dont know alot of Montana State fans....

Why are you Montana State fans? I dont get it!! When it comes down to it, The Cats cant beat the Griz.I was also wondering what you all think of Wash-Griz comparied to whatever ur stadium is called. Are u in AWE of Wash-griz or what? Y dont u all just give it up and move to Missoula and become Griz fans??? (not a knock on MSU, Just wondering)


12:49

User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9739
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Post by CelticCat » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:20 pm

Because I couldn't associate myself with the most arrogant, cocky fair-weather fans in the state. WA-Griz is an amazing facility, no doubt there. I'm at MSU fan because I love the Cats and hate the Griz. If you are saying your a UM fan strictly because they win and have a nice stadium, then that is exactly the reason I don't wana be associated with fans like that.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9739
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Post by CelticCat » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:28 pm

And besides, if we all gave up, then there wouldn't be the awesome rivarly we have between the two schools. :)


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Swilly3224
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1265
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:09 pm
Location: You know the school
Contact:

Post by Swilly3224 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:52 pm

As much as I despise of the bobcats i would have to say that there is no real rivarly between the cat and griz anymore outside of the pure hatred between the two school. Rivarlys are suppose to be two sided and well...im just gonna say that this one isnt. The griz have won 18 out of the last twenty.


12:49

User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9739
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Post by CelticCat » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:05 pm

Cats have won 2 out of the last 3. See I can pick any point in time and make it sound good too.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

PortlandCat
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:39 pm
Location: Portland

Post by PortlandCat » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:04 am

Swilly,

How shallow is it that you can only be a fan of a team with recent success. I went to two schools that have a spotty history in the marquee sports and follow both teams closely. I never miss a chance to catch a game on TV or in person. True fans follow and support even when their teams are losing. It's about passion, memories and shared experiences.

Under your theory no on would follow the Cubs or the Red Sox. Let me tell you Wrigley and Fenway are classics, but they are far from luxurious. The term classic frequently means old and uncomfortable. Try getting a beer in under 30 minutes at Fenway.

I can tell you it was sweet to watch my graduate alma mater make the sweet 16 last year. I became a fan of that team watching them beat Georgia when they were 25 point underdogs. Sometimes there is joy in mudville.

Bandwagoners go from team to team. Was anyone outside of Boston a Patriot fan in 1982? The world seems to be full of them these days.

Face it, geography means a lot and you cheer for the teams you grew up cheering for. I was an MSU fan because I grew up in MSU country (yes the Billings area is historically MSU country even though it is now full of bandwagoners). I honestly can't remember ever seeing um stuff outside of the one or two alums I knew. I went to MSU and I truly dislike all things grisly. Facilities, wins and losses, scandals and obnoxious grisly fans won't change that.

Yes um has better facilities and has won more recently. To quote Bob Toledo in reference to Oregon, "they have the best owner in college sports", Montana is lucky to have a couple of deep pocketed alumni to help in that area. um has developed a fun tradition, good facilities and some momentum. Enjoy them and enjoy cheering for your team, I will enjoy cheering for mine. I will also enjoy telling the um grads who work for me what to do.
Bobcat games are fun and the rivalry is real. If it wasn't why would you sell out the Cat / Griz game every year and why do you get prickly when others try to say their rivalry is better? I'm sure UND / NDSU is fun but it's no Cat / Griz.

I am proud to cheer for the Bobcats, glad I went to MSU and fondly remember those days. Savor the good days and get over the bad. It's only sports, they are fun but people put far too much importance on them.
Last edited by PortlandCat on Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5807
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Billings via Livingston
Contact:

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:33 am

PortlandCat wrote:Swilly,

How shallow is it that you can only be a fan of a team with recent success. I went to two schools that have a spotty history in the marquee sports and follow both teams closely. I never miss a chance to catch a game on TV or in person. True fans follow and support even when their teams are losing. It's about passion, memories and shared experiences.

Under your theory no on would follow the Cubs or the Red Sox. Let me tell you Wrigley and Fenway are classics, but they are far from luxurious. The term classic frequently means old and uncomfortable. Try getting a beer in under 30 minutes at Fenway.

I can tell you it was sweet to watch my graduate alma mater make the sweet 16 last year. I became a fan of that team watching them beat Georgia when they were 25 point underdogs. Sometimes there is joy in mudville.

Bandwagoners go from team to team. Was anyone outside of Boston a Patriot fan in 1982? The world seems to be full of them these days.

Face it, geography means a lot and you cheer for the teams you grew up cheering for. I was an MSU fan because I grew up in MSU country (yes the Billings area is historically MSU country even though it is now full of bandwagoners). I honestly can't remember ever seeing um stuff outside of the one or two alums I knew. I went to MSU and I truly dislike all things grisly. Facilities, wins and losses, scandals and obnoxious grisly fans won't change that.

Yes um has better facilities and has won more recently. To quote Bob Toledo in reference to Oregon, "they have the best owner in college sports", Montana is lucky to have a couple of deep pocketed alumni to help in that area. um has developed a fun tradition, good facilities and some momentum. Enjoy them and enjoy cheering for your team, I will enjoy cheering for mine. I will also enjoy telling the um grads who work for me what to do.
Bobcat games are fun and the rivalry is real. If it wasn't why would you sell out the Cat / Griz game every year and why do you get prickly when others try to say their rivalry is better? I'm sure UND / NDSU is fun but it's no Cat / Griz.

I am proud to cheer for the Bobcats, glad I went to MSU and fondly remember those days. Savor the good days and get over the bad. It's only sports, they are fun but people put far too much importance on them.
I would like to commend you on an excellent post PortlandCat. I am a Cat fan because I am and always will be, and the alternative (being a Fizz) is just wrong (it goes agains my religion to worship the great Grizzly Devil).

Also, if there is one thing that pisses me off the most, it is fairweather fans, i.e., most fizz fans. I came to the Cat fball games when they went 0-11 (Kramer's first year). Tell me Swill (such a fitting name for a fizz), would you attend Griz games if They had a sh*tty team?? I think not. In a few years though, under the leadership of wise(@$$) Bobby Bignose, your program might just be there. :P


Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Retard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

User avatar
BWahlberg
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:13 pm
Location: Missoula
Contact:

Post by BWahlberg » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:35 am

Hey Grizh8tr,

How 'bout them Griz? Did you see them on ESPN2 tonight? 8)

We're dancin' baby! Go Griz!



User avatar
Hell's Bells
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4673
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:58 pm
Location: Belgrade, Mt.
Contact:

Post by Hell's Bells » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:48 am

Re/Max Griz wrote:Hey Grizh8tr,

How 'bout them Griz? Did you see them on ESPN2 tonight? 8)

We're dancin' baby! Go Griz!
A dare you to say that after you get killed by the dukes of the world :lol:


This space for rent....

User avatar
mquast53000
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:45 pm
Location: Billings

Post by mquast53000 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:06 am

One thing that I have noticed about a lot of Griz fans (probably not the guys that post here) are that they have never even been to Missoula for a Griz game. They simply choose to root for the Griz because they have been winning. Of course these same self professed Griz fans were rooting for the Cats in the 80's. I think once the Cats firmly get their feet under themselves in Football we will see a major shift in fan support across the state. Bobcat Nation will not accept the obscene fans though; they can keep rooting for the Griz...


FTG

Litterbox
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:01 pm

Post by Litterbox » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:30 am

I think it's pretty damn disgraceful that a bunch of people from Montana will be rooting for a team from North Carolina or Illinois against kids that grew up right here - Criswell - Seyfert - and could just as easily be playing for the Cats. I like to throw out the insults, but when the Cats were playing McNeese State last year or the year before in the playoffs and we'd already lost, I was rooting for them as hard as I do for the griz. The fact of the matter is that if the sky should happen to fall or the Illinois players all come down with explosive diahrea and we somehow give them a game, it's good for the Big Sky and thus good for the Cats.



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9739
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Post by CelticCat » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:39 am

Litterbox wrote:I think it's pretty damn disgraceful that a bunch of people from Montana will be rooting for a team from North Carolina or Illinois against kids that grew up right here - Criswell - Seyfert - and could just as easily be playing for the Cats. I like to throw out the insults, but when the Cats were playing McNeese State last year or the year before in the playoffs and we'd already lost, I was rooting for them as hard as I do for the griz. The fact of the matter is that if the sky should happen to fall or the Illinois players all come down with explosive diahrea and we somehow give them a game, it's good for the Big Sky and thus good for the Cats.
While I agree it would be the decent thing to do, it's impossible for some peole to do, and I do not blame them. I know there are plenty of Griz fans who love seeing the Cats lose, and vice versa for Cat fans wanting the Griz to lose. That's what comes of a bitter rivalry. I personally will root for the Griz in the NCAA tournament, but that is about the only time ever I will. I'm sorry, as much as I tried to want the Griz to beat JMU, I couldn't bring myself to root for them. I was indifferent, isn't that good enough?

Some people have enough respect for the Sky and Montana (the state and the universities) that they can root for the other team if need be. Other people hate everything maroon and silver, or blue and gold.

If you feel you want the Griz to get owned, maybe you shoulnd't necessarily voice your opinion about it, but people who hate the Griz lose no respect from me. :) Same with Griz fans who hate the Cats.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

User avatar
mquast53000
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:45 pm
Location: Billings

Post by mquast53000 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:23 am

I hope the Griz lose very badly.


FTG

NenJ44MT
New Recruit
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:24 pm

Post by NenJ44MT » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:37 pm

I would just like to start by saying that it pathetic the way the fans at Montana State have reacted at their 2 wins especially since of the many previous wins by Montana and you cannot base what you think of montana fans being fairweather fans you obviously have not looked into the north endzone which is where i am seated every year at every home game those are real fans and i must say the fan base at Montana State is pathetic, the attendance is not as loyal as you say it to be and i will have to side with swill on the fact of Montana does deserve what they have such as the stadium and the recent sucess in the playoffs, they have earned everything they have while the bobcats have not earned much in the past 10 years fans at montana dont show for the stadium they show for the greatness of watching Montana football being played like it should be thats more that Msu fans can say..



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9739
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Post by CelticCat » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:51 pm

NenJ44MT wrote:I would just like to start by saying that it pathetic the way the fans at Montana State have reacted at their 2 wins especially since of the many previous wins by Montana and you cannot base what you think of montana fans being fairweather fans you obviously have not looked into the north endzone which is where i am seated every year at every home game those are real fans and i must say the fan base at Montana State is pathetic, the attendance is not as loyal as you say it to be and i will have to side with swill on the fact of Montana does deserve what they have such as the stadium and the recent sucess in the playoffs, they have earned everything they have while the bobcats have not earned much in the past 10 years fans at montana dont show for the stadium they show for the greatness of watching Montana football being played like it should be thats more that Msu fans can say..
Pathetic? Griz fans taunt Bobcat fans for 16 years, turning them completely arrogant and cocky, and when we win we taunt back and it's pathetic? No, that's not pathetic. It's called take your own medicine. We are not saying that if the Griz go 0-11 that ZERO people will show up at the game, but I bet there wouldn't be more than 10k-15k at WAGriz, and it would look pretty empty near the end of the season. The attendance at MSU, by the way, broke attendance records last year, so I'm not sure where you get the Bobcat fans aren't loyal bit. Sure there aren't as many Cat fans, but I bet in terms of die-hard loyal fans, the Griz don't outnumber the Cats by much. I was talking to Griz fans at Cat-Griz, and they didn't even know who their quarterback was. Some people just love the Griz because they love to see winning football, it's a fact. Stop winning, those fans go away.

I never said the Griz didn't earn anything, but I will say there is one thing that their fans haven't earned from me - respect. Users coming over here telling us our fanbase is pathetic isn't going to help the cause.

I'll take a quote from Egriz to show you exactly why Cat fans hate Griz fans -
"MSU needs to earn the honor of playing the Griz on a one-to-one power basis."

Do I need to say more?


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

NenJ44MT
New Recruit
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:24 pm

Post by NenJ44MT » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:38 pm

Celtic Cat what i said werent all directed at you but just a question what are the numbers for the cat attendance for their record breaking, and another thing you saying the griz fans being unloyal or cocky and overconfident may be true in some circumstances but how uncocky and classy would your bobcat fans be if they had the sucess montana has had in the last decade????



User avatar
SonomaCat
Moderator
Posts: 23951
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Contact:

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:27 pm

NenJ44MT wrote:Celtic Cat what i said werent all directed at you but just a question what are the numbers for the cat attendance for their record breaking, and another thing you saying the griz fans being unloyal or cocky and overconfident may be true in some circumstances but how uncocky and classy would your bobcat fans be if they had the sucess montana has had in the last decade????
I think the point many people are making is that if MSU had been winning for 16 years in a row, there probably WOULD be a lot of obnoxious "MSU fans." They are the same people who are currently obnoxious Griz fans. The core fanbases of both schools are way more grounded than the bandwagon folks who climb on when times are good and end up doing most of the smack talking. I think it's that very group that has given the Griz fanbase a black eye in the opinion of many people (yes, even outside of Montana).



Swilly3224
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1265
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:09 pm
Location: You know the school
Contact:

Post by Swilly3224 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:13 pm

This black eye You speak of....Do u mean around the nation Griz fans are looked upon as arrogant and fairweather???


12:49

Post Reply