Split from Bobcat Christmas--Fan Treatment discussion

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:30 pm

BobcatBlood wrote:Well, I was going to wish for the ability to wear my Bobcat gear anywhere in Montana without submitting myself to taunts like, "You suck, Griz Rule", BUT since that is akin to asking for world peace,

I'd really, really like see ALL our athletic debt retired... that's right, I'd love to see Bobcat Stadium, scoreboard, fieldhouse renovations, etc. PAID for so that future donations can go to new improvements.

Please, oh, please, Santa...
Not to delve from this festive post, BUTTTTT

You get that too eh? Its amazing how much Griz fans have to taunt just by seeing someone wearing Bobcat gear. I get IT ALL THE TIME. Of course when I ask them who Don Reed is half of them don't even know who he is so that pretty much explains that. I get it more and more every year so that is DEFINATELY a sign that they know who the Bobcats are. Each to his own though I guess. If that makes them feel better than so be it. I'm sure its 60% of the poster on Egriz after seeing the garbage posted by their non-loyal bandwagon fans over there this week ... you can sure tell who they are after a loss. Griz fans .. I know who are the loyal ones over there are .. so I'm not talking about you guys.
Last edited by CARDIAC_CATS on Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:56 pm

Well, I was going to wish for the ability to wear my Bobcat gear anywhere in Montana without submitting myself to taunts like, "You suck, Griz Rule", BUT since that is akin to asking for world peace,

I'd really, really like see ALL our athletic debt retired... that's right, I'd love to see Bobcat Stadium, scoreboard, fieldhouse renovations, etc. PAID for so that future donations can go to new improvements.

Please, oh, please, Santa...
I hate hijacking threads and posting things that have nothing to do with the subject, but it reminded me of a funny story.

On my drive back to Bozeman after this years Cat/griz game, I stop off in E. Helena fill up on gas. When I go in inside to pay, the cashier who has 7 teeth (4 of which are brown) says to me "Sucks to be a bobcat."

I say "excuse me?"

He reapeats himself, and I realize that I am wearing my MSU sweatshirt. So I ask him "are you a griz fan?"

His response "Hell yes I'm a griz fan!"

Then I ask the cashier "did you go to UM for your undergraduate degree or your masters?"

He gives me a look like I just asked him in a language he'd never heard and responds intelligently "huh?!?"

Then I speak a little slower and monosyllabically "what year did you go to school there?"

Then the surprise of the century "oh, I didn't go to college"

And I respond in my best shocked voice "you're kidding, I never would have guessed!" and proceded to walk out of the gas station feeling that the weekend wasn't a complete loss.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:15 pm

wbtfg wrote:
I hate hijacking threads and posting things that have nothing to do with the subject, but it reminded me of a funny story.

On my drive back to Bozeman after this years Cat/griz game, I stop off in E. Helena fill up on gas. When I go in inside to pay, the cashier who has 7 teeth (4 of which are brown) says to me "Sucks to be a bobcat."

I say "excuse me?"

He reapeats himself, and I realize that I am wearing my MSU sweatshirt. So I ask him "are you a griz fan?"

His response "Hell yes I'm a griz fan!"

Then I ask the cashier "did you go to UM for your undergraduate degree or your masters?"

He gives me a look like I just asked him in a language he'd never heard and responds intelligently "huh?!?"

Then I speak a little slower and monosyllabically "what year did you go to school there?"

Then the surprise of the century "oh, I didn't go to college"

And I respond in my best shocked voice "you're kidding, I never would have guessed!" and proceded to walk out of the gas station feeling that the weekend wasn't a complete loss.
I'm from East Helena, and I know what you mean! I use that line of attack too...I always ask the real arrogant ones what year they graduated from UM. 9 times out of 10 I get a sheepish redfaced grin and silence!

2024 Resume dominance

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:22 pm

Prove it. I hate blanket responses on chat boards that can't be proven.

I heard the same story from an Michigan grad that lives in Ohio

All the cat fans at my work went to MSU-B. Yeah.

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:28 pm

Prove it. I hate blanket responses on chat boards that can't be proven.

If you don't believe my story, that is completely fine with me I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Since you are such a stickler for evidence, you must now prove everything that you post on this board or any other board.

You heard that same story from a Michigan grad?? I don't believe you...Prove it.

All the cat fans at your work went to MSU-B? That's really intersting, can you prove it?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:49 pm

jagur1 wrote:Prove it. I hate blanket responses on chat boards that can't be proven.

I think everyone has noticed that the most obnoxious fans in any fanbase are the ones who didn't actually go to school at that school. This board has a prime example of that. It's those fans who have zero respect for college sports (or college in general, for that matter) and treat their favorite team like someone treats their favorite pro teams. When you start thinking like a "hardcore" Cleveland Browns or Oakland Raider (or any NFL team) fan, you will generally starting acting like an obnoxious jerk with no respect for the opposing teams. In pro sports, that's almost expected -- the athletes are all mercenaries. In college, though, it's a much different game, and those who don't understand that are the ones who miss the whole point of being a college athletics supporter.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:06 pm

golfer wrote:What! I can't be apart of the Bobcat nation because I didn't graduate from MSU. Why in the heck have I been following the Cats all these years. I guess I can only root for the Cougs. Thanks for the holiday cheer :x
In my opinion is doesn’t matter one little bit whether you graduated from a certain university or even attended college for that matter. A fan is a fan. I just think that the fans who actually went to school at “Their” university tend to be a little more passionate about the teams.

What drives me nuts is that most of these “fans” that say they’re Griz fans yet have absolutely no affiliation with the University, would not dare to call themselves Griz fans if the Griz went 0-11 in a season. I’m not cool with that, and I'm 100% convinced it's the truth.

P.S. I do know who you’re talking about from your description. That’s where we usually stop on the way to the Bobcat games from Great Falls, and that guy has made comments to us before too as we’re loading up on Red Bulls! (Albeit, the comments he’s made to us have always been pretty good-natured.)

Sorry for the rant - back to the thread. Since nobody else is saying it, BECAUSE A BUNCH OF THE OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS HAVE BEEN COVERED... Please Santa, bring me a Griz A$$-Whoopin next year... :lol:
Last edited by catatac on Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

velochat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by velochat » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:08 pm

MSU-B alums are welcome here, in my book. As are MSU-N alums. I'm not sure what the verdict is on um-Western or Tech; at least they're not friz.

Even alums of the north central Winemucca academy for one eyed mensa members or OK, if they're Bobcat fans.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:10 pm

I offered the following on egriz earlier in the week; the author of the thread was trying to "classify" the 3 types of Griz fans. Let me know how you feel.

Ronbo,

I like the point to your thread.

I always like to STATE it this way (pun intended):

When people ask me if I'm a Bobcat fan, I respond "No, I'm a Bobcat".

IMO, there are Bobcats; and there are Bobcat fans.

BOBCATS are MSU students, alumni, faculty, staff, coaches, players, etc... In my mind, to be a BOBCAT, you MUST have at least attended and/or worked for MSU. You also MUST have demonstrated and continue to show your loyalty to MSU regardless of the record of the football (or any athletic) team.

Bobcat FANS are those folks who never actually attended or worked at the school and essentially associate themselves with MSU because of a particular athletic team. I would guess that based on the success of the Griz football program, you guys have a much bigger population of FANS than does MSU.

Although I'm sure there are plenty of rabid Bobcats & Grizzlies, the one's I have no tolerance for are the obnoxious and arrogant FANS; those who don't have anything to do with either school but live their life vicariously through and draw their venom from the football team and the rivalry.

I'm not saying that there's no room for FANS or that they don't have the right to root for a team. There is & they do; they also play a significant role financially for both schools & teams. But if you are a Bobcat or Griz FAN, try to remember it when you are taking shots at those who are TRUE Bobcats or Grizzlies. It seems to me the FANS are the ones who make up the "bandwagon" portion you mentioned above, and are the first to jump ship when things go bad and start bashing everyone & everything...

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:20 pm

OBNOXIOUS FANS = ATHLETIC SUPPORTER (ha, ha, ha) I think our fans are a lot better than most Griz fans. At least we don't put "for sale" signs in our coaches yards when we loose a game. They just can't help it over in Missoula because they don't know HOW TO LOSE GRACEFULLY! We do because that's all we have really known for quite sometime. We can always find the good in what happens, and look forward to the beginning of a better and brighter future.

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:33 pm

grizhatr, Ah sorry. Your last coach got signs 3 times that I know of. So much for that one. try again

Four

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:09 pm

grizhatr, Ah sorry. Your last coach got signs 3 times that I know of. So much for that one. try again

PROVE IT!!!!!!!
I hate blanket responses on chat boards that can't be proven.

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:44 pm

:D :D :D Thank you WannabethefantasticGriz

Four