Is it Possible?

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

eRat-a-Cat-er
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by eRat-a-Cat-er » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:08 pm

Thought this was the smack board, my bad, must be the mutual appreciation board.Image
:wink:

What just thinkin' about the Griz does to most Cats! GO GRIZ!

rtb

Post by rtb » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:03 pm

[
Is it too late to fix the problem, at least to some extent? Probably not... you have to understand that the 16 year streak and namely the attitude of many G riz fans toward Bobcat fans during the streak contributed to the build up of a LOT of bitterness from our side towards yours. If the rivalry evens out as seems to be happening, over time the bitterness will begin to subside and the two fan groups should get along better as the product of a competitive rivalry. Of course, this is all IMO. And, there will always be people who will take things too far. We just have to try and minimize the the size of this group.[/quote]

Everything that has been said on this string has been great to see. The few things that contribute most to the semi-hatred is the streak and the college students who don't care about the game. I will admit the streak put a lot of fire in Cat fans especially those who lived in NW Montana, but as the tide has shifted a little the Cat fans have become more level headed. If the rivalry is competitive for a while I think that we will see a general shift in the attitudes of both sides to where the rivalry is more jovial. The second issue I don't think will ever been taken care of until every MSU home game is nearly sold out. As a huge sports fan and current student at MSU nothing burns me more than to go to every game cheer for the Bobcats win or lose and then watch my peers talk terribly about the team until Cat/Griz rolls around and they jump on the bandwagon. I know many students who went through the line multiple times to score tickets for Cat/Griz just so they could get completely loaded with their buddies and go make asses of themselves. I am not saying I am better than them, I started tailgating at 10:00am, but I was there to support the Cats. The problem is, most of the multiple ticket holders have never been to any other Cat game in their lives. I believe it is people/students like this that cause the most trouble with the opponents. Give me a break, when you have to ask me who #10 is don't expect to get a friendly reply from me. Does anyone else have a problem with students/others coming to only the Cat/Griz game? or am I just way too anti-bandwagon?
Last edited by rtb on Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

'State is just plain 'ol inferior; Therefore we dislike Griz

Post by GavinDonos » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:06 am

Maybe the fact that G fans treat Cat fans (and the rest of Big Sky's fans) like second class citizens has something to do with the hostility they get in return.

1 Our stadium is schit hole,
2 Our team is second rate,
3 We aren't deserving enough to called be Montanans,
4 Our mascot sucks,
5 All we do is hold the Griz back in the "big picture",
6 And apparently the majority of hardcore Griz fans equate Cat fans and players to mentally handicapped people. (Usually these types of associations couple two elements that the associator sees as equally loathsome. So I must ask, do you Griz have something against handicapped people, too?)

I'm sure I missed some critical elements as to why we are inferior; perhaps you frizzies could contribute more.

I can't imagine why Cat fans don't like Griz fans on a general, faceless level. They are so classy, and I am so envious.

personal admission: I could care less about, and won't apoligize for whatever ghastly atrocities bronco had to endure last fall; get a ticket in the proper section next time, sir. When I go to W/G and get harrassed with my father this November, I won't complain, in fact, I will expect it.

If you Griz fans want someone to kiss your ass, go to the Tony Moss page. Don't expect it to happen in section 101 of Bobcat Stadium.

GD

waaah, I was mentally anguished by Bobcat fans!
waaah, Bobcats don't snarl, they hiss!!!
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!

*edit I apologize for going against the "feel good" flow of the post, but all I saw was more bronco snivelling, not a symbolic olive branch.
Last edited by GavinDonos on Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:25 am

Gotta admit .. points 1-6 are for sure valid! But thats what makes being a Bobcat fan all that much more special when we beat them. I agree, if your sitting with the enemy .. you have to EXPECT to get a ribbing when you are at the game (this does not mean spitting/bottle throwing etc.).

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:41 am

Gavin, I think the olive branch from bronco comes in the fact that he is finally acknowledging that while he did have a bad experience in Bozeman last year that yes the same thing happens in Missoula.

As for you points about griz attitude, I must say that yes that seems pretty prevalent...in anonymous internet message boards. However I can honestly say that I have never gotten that type of treatment when speaking and hanging out with griz fans in person. Well except maybe for point #1 from the people who had to sit in the endzone bleachers last year and if they made it out of that death trap alive they have a right to complain on that one. :oops:

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

eRat-a-Cat-er
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by eRat-a-Cat-er » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:43 am

rtb, a long process, a very long process...

To do my part i've made an appointment for GavinD at 12:30, NO SERIOUSLY - I HAVE!

What just thinkin' about the Griz does to most Cats! GO GRIZ!

Bozgriz

Post by Bozgriz » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:01 am

That's why this is a smack board! Enough of the touchy-feeling stuff! Let's avoid the Christmas rush and start hating each other now!! OK, but here's my take on your 6 points and a couple more:

#1-I live in Bozeman, the stadium is a pit. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. Martel built a BEAUTIFUL new section and press box and its surrounded by a rickety, broken down, dangerous (slicker than snot last winter to walk up to end zone seats) piece of trash. How about throwing some money at that one alumni???
#2-Save the two wins over the Griz the last two years (and you get FULL CREDIT for 2 huge wins!) your team really has not been all that great. A 3, 4 or 5 loss season is just not acceptible in MSLA. It's a windfall in Bozeman to win 7 games!
#3-not sure where that came from???
#4-mascot is another issue all together. Get a new costume for that guy will yah?? It doesn't even look like a cat, more like the predator...
#5-see #2, only the Griz hold themselves back in the "big picture". MSU has nothing to do with it, unless a move to 1-A is in the offing and that is only a pipe dream and not even close to being a reality.
#6-ha, ha, ha...paranoid???

A couple of years ago I went by the handle "cathater" on the Big Sky board and was crucified by cat fans (BAC especially) for taking an anti-cat stance, not a pro-Griz stance. I see by such monikers at "ftg","suckitgriz", etc, that the hatred of Griz is waaayyyyyy more important to cat fans that even the success of your own team! When the streak was 16 this emotional response was even more prevalent (more in the closet however) and reached its pinnacle when the cats finally won a game or two. Believe me, your hatred of the Griz runs much deeper than most Griz fans hatred of the cats!

If you get past it and focus on your program, maybe you can have a full stadium and get some playoff experience and play for National Championships again too...or you can just sit at home (save the 5000 or so who attend cat games regularly) and hate the Griz on message boards instead of supporting your program with cash and attendance! :D

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:55 pm

#6-ha, ha, ha...paranoid???
Actually, my nephew has CP, so the fact that Griz fans think that kind of stuff is funny, and use it to represent something they have little respect for is a little bit of a concern to me, yes. But I guess you guys don't represent all Griz fans, do you? Just the hardcore ones, right?
#3-not sure where that came from???
It came from your coach, he said we were not on the same level as the Griz, therefore should not have Montana in our name. He thereafter referred to us as 'State. Yeah, your coach fosters the same attitude publically that I am talking about.

I wasn't trying to come across as being a psycho, and I agree that the 'Cats are behind the 'Griz as far as most things go. I was just trying to illustrate that an attitude such as the one I see coming from many friz can rub rivals the wrong way when compounded for a decade and a half.

You friz can take this for what it is worth, I'm not trying to change anyone's behavior. I'm just saying that what you preceive as Griz envy is more often just people sick or hearing the same 'ol "teddy power" smarm over and over again.
...or you can just sit at home (save the 5000 or so who attend cat games regularly) and hate the Griz on message boards instead of supporting your program with cash and attendance!
I support my team with plenty of cash and perfect attendance, thank you. Coming here and tangling with you guys is a bonus! :wink:
And we averaged over 11,000 I think last year... I know, I know nothing compared to Dennis Washington Stadium, but more than double the number that you were erroniously quoting.

Alright, back to reality...

GD
Last edited by GavinDonos on Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bozgriz

Post by Bozgriz » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:30 pm

GD: relax buddy, its all good fun, remember??? As for #6, I, for one, have never referred to cat fans as anything close to resembling mentally handicapped. If you are referring to my picture, well, I simply wanted to find the goofiest looking guy I could and put a state shirt on him...didn't know you would label me and other "hardcore" fans as politically incorrect...If it bothers you, well, good, that was the point!

If Bobby said you weren't qualified to use Montana in your name, well, so be it. Why does that bother you? What do you care what Bobby says anyway? Can remember a thing Cliff Hysell or any other cat coach said that I was too concerned with.

As for attendance and fair weather fans, he's something to chew on:

cat home attendance for 2003:
13,527 (homecoming)
15,087 (cat/Griz)

total attendance 72,352/6 games = 12,059 per game

nice improvement but hardly worthy of comparison. And what's with the 8700 for the SAC game???

Are you tired of hearing about Griz stuff? Become the premier program or simply ignore it...

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:36 pm

Bozgriz wrote:nice improvement but hardly worthy of comparison. And what's with the 8700 for the SAC game???
It was about -20 degrees at the start of that game, and it didn't warm up too much more. By the 56-7 blowout we put on Sac State, it looks like our Cali boys are tougher than theirs!

GO CATS GO!!!

bronco
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bronco » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:44 pm

When did coach Bobby say the cats didn't deserve being called Montana?
Please post the link to the news article. I've seen this posted before but I've never seen the link. Missoulian? Gt Falls paper?

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:45 pm

Bozgriz wrote:And what's with the 8700 for the SAC game???
I can answer that one. Though it is hardly an excuse, the low attendance would be a result of the fact that it was DAMN cold that day and we were playing Sac St. Not exactly our biggest rival and with the cold alot of people decided to stay home and keep warm. I would be surpised if there was anywhere near that many people there that day to be honest unless they stuffed alot of people into those nice warm corporate boxes. I know I was beginning to wonder why the hell I was still there at the end when we had a 56-7 lead and I couldn't feel my feet.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

bronco
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bronco » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:47 pm

I've seen BozGriz's picture before....it was two brothers that looked alike very goofy with giant ears.
I think it was an email picture titled "we're here to pick up your daughters"
correct me if I'm wrong BozGriz.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:51 pm

I've seen BozGriz's picture before....it was two brothers that looked alike very goofy with giant ears.
I think it was an email picture titled "we're here to pick up your daughters"
correct me if I'm wrong BozGriz.
I think I speak for everyone when I say........WHO CARES?!?!?!

Bozgriz

Post by Bozgriz » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:52 pm

LOL! Yeah, they were driving a huge BFI truck with "eat s**t grizzlies, go cats go" on the side! =P~

Bozgriz

Post by Bozgriz » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:55 pm

I'm confused, what does wbtfg stand for again??? :-k

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:58 pm

I'm confused
big shocker there....

bronco
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bronco » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:47 pm

wbtfg,
Wanna be the fabulous Griz,
when you said " I think I speak for everyone when I say........WHO CARES?!?!?!"
It was you guys that brought up the subject of the state pictures being retarded people. So... you don't speak for everyone.
The picture BozGriz uses looks like the ring leader of the mob in sec 102 last fall.

I guess all this answers my original question on this topic....sorry I brought it up.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:51 pm

wbtfg,
Wanna be the fabulous Griz,
when you said " I think I speak for everyone when I say........WHO CARES?!?!?!"
It was you guys that brought up the subject of the state pictures being retarded people. So... you don't speak for everyone.
The picture BozGriz uses looks like the ring leader of the mob in sec 102 last fall.
I think I speak for everyone when I say.......HUH?!?!?!?!

bronco
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bronco » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:06 am

wbtfg
said.
"I think I speak for everyone when I say.......HUH?!?!?!?!"

I'm starting to think you're right but we need better comments than Huh?
Think hard you can do it.