Speaking of fights: Jake Paul vs Iron Mike

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Speaking of fights: Jake Paul vs Iron Mike

Post by RickRund » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:56 pm

Don't know what to think about this one. Circus or actual fight.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Speaking of fights: Jake Paul vs Iron Mike

Post by coloradocat » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:18 pm

Yes

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:40 am

RickRund wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:56 pm
Circus.

Not to mention; how many of us know a person in their 50s (Tyson is 57) doing a mundane activity and seriously hurting themselves? A buddy of mine ripped his MCL while playing volleyball recently...

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:32 am

The Butcher wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:40 am
RickRund wrote:
Circus.

Not to mention; how many of us know a person in their 50s (Tyson is 57) doing a mundane activity and seriously hurting themselves? A buddy of mine ripped his MCL while playing volleyball recently...
How many of us were world class athletes and have access to high priced trainers and staff available? I am guessing Tyson will be ready to go a couple rounds.

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:37 am

18 oz gloves and headgear

Sparring match

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:24 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:32 am
The Butcher wrote:
RickRund wrote:
Circus.

How many of us were world class athletes and have access to high priced trainers and staff available? I am guessing Tyson will be ready to go a couple rounds.
How many world class athletes who had access to high priced trainers and staff available didn't even get through the pros past their 30s... :-s :-s :-s

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:06 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:32 am
The Butcher wrote:
RickRund wrote:
Circus.

How dare you suggest that Butcher's buddy isn't Tyson's equal!

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:52 pm

George Foreman had his last professional at the age of 48. He lost by decision, although many fight experts felt he won. Had he won, he would have fought Lennox Lewis for the title. Granted, Foreman was almost 10 years younger than Tyson is now, but he was vastly overweight and out-of-shape in comparison to Tyson. My point - Tyson is a raw puncher, much like Foreman was. A puncher ALWAYS has a chance. He catches Paul just right, it's lights out for Jake. Even at over 50 years old, Foreman could still punch a hole through the universe. Tyson can too...

The downside to the fight will be which Tyson shows up - the young Iron Mike who was full of aggression and wanted to kill everybody, or the old "post-Buster" Tyson who wanted to get out of the ring faster than he got in it. If this is truly just an exhibition, it won't be much fun to watch. If Iron Mike wants this to be showcase of what he can still do, it will be a thrill ride.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:43 pm

These fights are nothing more than promotion and money. I have no doubt in my mind Tyson is still skilled enough and strong enough to beat Jake Paul. Whether or not they let that happen will be seen. They'll promote it like crazy. They'll generate a ton of pay-per-view. Hell, my dumbass will probably buy it for the sheer circus factor. But I think we tend to make these fights more realistic than they actually are.

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:56 pm

I pretty much stopped watching boxing after what they did to Todd Foster.

Money men ruin EVERYTHING

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:48 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:52 pm
George Foreman had his last professional at the age of 48. He lost by decision, although many fight experts felt he won. Had he won, he would have fought Lennox Lewis for the title. Granted, Foreman was almost 10 years younger than Tyson is now, but he was vastly overweight and out-of-shape in comparison to Tyson. My point - Tyson is a raw puncher, much like Foreman was. A puncher ALWAYS has a chance. He catches Paul just right, it's lights out for Jake. Even at over 50 years old, Foreman could still punch a hole through the universe. Tyson can too...

The downside to the fight will be which Tyson shows up - the young Iron Mike who was full of aggression and wanted to kill everybody, or the old "post-Buster" Tyson who wanted to get out of the ring faster than he got in it. If this is truly just an exhibition, it won't be much fun to watch. If Iron Mike wants this to be showcase of what he can still do, it will be a thrill ride.
Exactly. And Jake is a travelling circus act. There is a reason that he is not a professional fighter: he would get killed!