Reid and Kelce

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Reid and Kelce

Post by RickRund » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:43 am

Just wondering what others take on this would be. Mine is that touching a coach in a situation such as this is a NO-NO...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Reid and Kelce

Post by HelenaCat » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:33 pm

Kelce is a hell of a tight end, but I don't like him much as a person. This act just reinforced that for me. You don't bump into any coach, but especially one that is 72 years old and deserves nothing but his players' respect.

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by nanacat » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:37 am

It was bad form. Passion, intensity, whatever you want to call it to color it pretty, he almost knocked Reid down and it should not have been tolerated.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:32 pm

nanacat wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:37 am
It was bad form. Passion, intensity, whatever you want to call it to color it pretty, he almost knocked Reid down and it should not have been tolerated.
I agree, yet Reid seemed 100% fine with it and he explained all that in an interview... just talking about how he understands who Kelci is 100%, incredibly passionate, needs to play, needs to win, etc.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:01 pm

Kelce was out of line, period. Problem is, Reid let it go so there's a good chance it will continue to happen. I understand its the superbowl and you want your best players in the game, but Reid should have made him sit out the next offensive series to send him a message that his behavior is not acceptable and there are consequences.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:59 pm

If Reid wasn't mad about it, I don't see any reason for me to be mad about it.

HelenaCat

Post by HelenaCat » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:06 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:59 pm
I am certainly not mad about it. I just think Kelce is a spoiled athlete and acts like an idiot sometimes. In terms of Reid, what else do you think he would say in public?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:15 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:06 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:59 pm
I am certainly not mad about it. I just think Kelce is a spoiled athlete and acts like an idiot sometimes. In terms of Reid, what else do you think he would say in public?
Kelce definitely acts like an idiot sometimes. So does his brother....it's like they are characters in a Will Farrell movie. Totally stupid, but somehow entertaining.

I'm not sure Reid would say anything different in Public than in Private. He just seems like a pretty laid back dude whose feathers don't ruffle very easily.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:21 pm

Some excerpts from an article about it:

Reid gave an equally lighthearted answer while chatting with after the game. “He keeps me young,” the coach said of Kelce. “He caught me off balance. Normally I’d give him a little bit [back], but I didn’t have [my] feet under me.

Reid shed more light on what was said, acknowledging that Kelce’s passion for the game is one of his strongest attributes. “He was really coming over [and saying], ‘Just put me in, I’ll score. I’ll score.’ So, that’s really what it was,” he explained after the team’s victory, per ESPN. “I love that. It’s not the first time. I appreciate him.”

Reid asserted that the athlete’s behavior wasn’t selfish. “The part I love is he loves to play the game and he wants to help his team win. … As much as he bumps into me, I get after him and we understand that. He just caught me off balance,” he continued.

Kelce sang his coach’s praises in a postgame press conference of his own, noting that his emotions got the best of him in the tense moment. “I didn’t care about my catches. … I wanted the score to be different,” he said. “Coach has asked us to speak our minds and I just wanted to let him know how much passion I had for this team.”

He went on to call Reid “one of the best leaders” he’s worked with, adding, “He’s helped me a lot … with channeling that emotion, with channeling that passion. I owe my entire career to that guy and being able to kind of control how emotional I get and just love him.”

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

HelenaCat

Post by HelenaCat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:53 am

I am admittedly old fashioned. But I just am not entertained when grown men act like idiots and spoiled children. BTW, I think even Kelce’s brother said he crossed the line here.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:22 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:53 am
I am admittedly old fashioned. But I just am not entertained when grown men act like idiots and spoiled children. BTW, I think even Kelce’s brother said he crossed the line here.
Same with me.

Imagine a Bobcat player doing that to Vigen. I'm guessing nobody would be defending it, and rightfully so. It shouldn't be any different for Kelce IMO.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:32 pm

Yeah I’m not a fan of any player acting like that with their coach especially a coach with Andy’s credentials and age. One of the things I love most about Andy Reid is that he’s experienced, comfortable, and confident enough in his position and power that he can let something like that roll off him like water off of a duck’s back. So, as unimpressed as I am with Kelce in this situation I’m multiple times more impressed with coach Reid. Honestly can’t imagine another coach handling it well at all.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:49 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:32 pm
Yeah I’m not a fan of any player acting like that with their coach especially a coach with Andy’s credentials and age. One of the things I love most about Andy Reid is that he’s experienced, comfortable, and confident enough in his position and power that he can let something like that roll off him like water off of a duck’s back. So, as unimpressed as I am with Kelce in this situation I’m multiple times more impressed with coach Reid. Honestly can’t imagine another coach handling it well at all.
I really like Dan Campbell and think he is a gentleman but figure it would have been a different scenario. Not saying fisticuffs but probably a different outcome...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.