Can you get this big, this fast?

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Can you get this big, this fast?

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:01 pm

I was just reading an article about the upcoming Masters golf tournament in November. Came across this about Bryson DeChambeau.
Bryson DeChambeau has been the talk of golf since golf returned. He added some 40 pounds of muscle and mass, all designed to enable him to swing faster and harder and hit drives farther than anyone imagined. It carried him to a six-shot victory in the U.S. Open with a game that defied convention. And that was just the start.
40 lbs. between March and September. Not just belly fat, apparently. Is this feasible?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Can you get this big, this fast?

Post by RickRund » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:29 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:01 pm
I was just reading an article about the upcoming Masters golf tournament in November. Came across this about Bryson DeChambeau.
Bryson DeChambeau has been the talk of golf since golf returned. He added some 40 pounds of muscle and mass, all designed to enable him to swing faster and harder and hit drives farther than anyone imagined. It carried him to a six-shot victory in the U.S. Open with a game that defied convention. And that was just the start.
40 lbs. between March and September. Not just belly fat, apparently. Is this feasible?
His drives are incredible...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:45 pm

He is OK I guess... He is no Nick Taylor.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:38 pm

No it is not. You can add 40 lbs but only a small percentage can be muscle. To gain muscle fast you must gain equal amounts of fat and water. 1 lbs of fat per lbs of muscle is a desirable mix. Plus the water. The other problem he has is the optimum lifting technique for gaining mass is not conducive to golfing. His swing speed would be greatly diminished. He would lose much of his flexibility. I golfed 60+ rounds a year and when I bulked up from 165 lbs to 230 lbs my swing speed went from 125 to under 90. Drive distance went from 350 to under 200.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:10 am

gtapp wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:38 pm
No it is not. You can add 40 lbs but only a small percentage can be muscle. To gain muscle fast you must gain equal amounts of fat and water. 1 lbs of fat per lbs of muscle is a desirable mix. Plus the water. The other problem he has is the optimum lifting technique for gaining mass is not conducive to golfing. His swing speed would be greatly diminished. He would lose much of his flexibility. I golfed 60+ rounds a year and when I bulked up from 165 lbs to 230 lbs my swing speed went from 125 to under 90. Drive distance went from 350 to under 200.
So what is your explanation for Bryson’s significant change in that time period?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:20 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:10 am
gtapp wrote:
So what is your explanation for Bryson’s significant change in that time period?
Does golf test for PEDs/HGH?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:50 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:20 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:10 am
gtapp wrote:
Does golf test for PEDs/HGH?
They do.