Fantasy Football discussion

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Fantasy Football discussion

Post by wbtfg » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:16 pm

Anyone else out there spend waaaaay too much of your valuable time thinking about fantasy football? Here's the place to discuss and compare notes.

I'll go ahead and start with a question to pose to the group. I'm in a ppr league and was offered Crabtree for Sproles. I'm going to wait a day or so to decide, but this has to be a no brainer, right?

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Fantasy Football discussion

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:35 pm

wbtfg wrote:Anyone else out there spend waaaaay too much of your valuable time thinking about fantasy football? Here's the place to discuss and compare notes.

I'll go ahead and start with a question to pose to the group. I'm in a ppr league and was offered Crabtree for Sproles. I'm going to wait a day or so to decide, but this has to be a no brainer, right?
I would personally keep Sproles. I have Crabtree in my league, although it isn't a PPR league, and he has vastly underperformed this year.

Do you get return yardage for Sproles in your league?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:43 pm

No, but do get points for ST touchdowns

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:11 pm

Nope. It's ruining NFL football and NFL fandom as we know it.

Complete waste of time, as are all fantasy sports leagues.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:05 pm

grizzh8r wrote:Nope. It's ruining NFL football and NFL fandom as we know it.

How is it "ruining" the NFL? The NFL is a huge business designed to make huge amounts of money by entertaining people. Fantasy football entertains people and brings a huge amount of eyeballs to every game they put on TV (now even for games people would otherwise not care at all about).

It seems to me that FF is a major part of what has made the NFL the dominant sport in America that it has become.

As for NFL "fandom," how on earth could that ever be ruined? We pledge loyalty and emotional attachment to a group of mercenaries hired by a billionaire owner to play their home games in a particular city (while generally having their real homes elsewhere) and temporarily sporting a particular brand. These players don't generally care at all about any of the fans (contrary to fans' willingness to spend huge amounts of energy arguing about as to the superiority of "their" team and even going so far as to getting into brawls to defend the honor of "their teams) and probably wouldn't even be playing their home games in that city if they weren't forced to by league rules (drafts, etc.), and could well leave for more money the instant they can. Despite that, fans shell out thousands upon thousands of dollars for tickets and for overpriced gear to show their loyalty to a corporation that's a franchise of the mutli-billion dollar in revenues trade association known as the NFL.

Given the revenues that NFL teams are pulling in from gear sales and ticket sales, it appears that fantasy football has done nothing to taint the lure that the NFL has on the loyalty of its fans. If anything, that fandom has grown since the advent of FF.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:37 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:Nope. It's ruining NFL football and NFL fandom as we know it.

How is it "ruining" the NFL? The NFL is a huge business designed to make huge amounts of money by entertaining people. Fantasy football entertains people and brings a huge amount of eyeballs to every game they put on TV (now even for games people would otherwise not care at all about).

It seems to me that FF is a major part of what has made the NFL the dominant sport in America that it has become.

As for NFL "fandom," how on earth could that ever be ruined? We pledge loyalty and emotional attachment to a group of mercenaries hired by a billionaire owner to play their home games in a particular city (while generally having their real homes elsewhere) and temporarily sporting a particular brand. These players don't generally care at all about any of the fans (contrary to fans' willingness to spend huge amounts of energy arguing about as to the superiority of "their" team and even going so far as to getting into brawls to defend the honor of "their teams) and probably wouldn't even be playing their home games in that city if they weren't forced to by league rules (drafts, etc.), and could well leave for more money the instant they can. Despite that, fans shell out thousands upon thousands of dollars for tickets and for overpriced gear to show their loyalty to a corporation that's a franchise of the mutli-billion dollar in revenues trade association known as the NFL.

Given the revenues that NFL teams are pulling in from gear sales and ticket sales, it appears that fantasy football has done nothing to taint the lure that the NFL has on the loyalty of its fans. If anything, that fandom has grown since the advent of FF.
It's ruining the NFL in the sense that there is now an "I" in team. More and more people (and now players as well) care only about how individual stats pile up. You hear all about it on these FF podcasts and the like on ESPN Radio - "so and so's team got beat 59-14, but so and so had 150 yards receiving and 2 TD's so FF owners won". It's just further advancing the "look at me" persona that so many NFL players (especially offensive players) play with nowadays. I've always liked NCAA FB more than the NFL because is much more of a team game, but now it's even close. I rarely sit down and watch NFL games anymore, especially on Sundays.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: