Super Bowl - Portland State

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Super Bowl - Portland State

Post by John K » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:05 pm

I thought this was an interesting bit of Super Bowl trivia. There are only 23 colleges that have two or more former players in the Super Bowl this year, and Portland State is the only FCS school on that list, with TE Julius Thomas for Denver, and DB DeShawn Shead for Seattle. None of the top 8 teams in the final FBS rankings, and only 2 of the top 15 (Oregon and Stanford) are on that list. I guess it just goes to show that if a player is good enough, the pro scouts will find him. By the way, Tennessee leads the way with 5 former players in the SB, while Wisconsin and NC State have 4 each. They are the only schools with more than three.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Super Bowl - Portland State

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:39 pm

That's pretty cool. Do you have a link, I'd like to check out the whole list.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

John K
Golden Bobcat

Re: Super Bowl - Portland State

Post by John K » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:56 pm

91catAlum wrote:That's pretty cool. Do you have a link, I'd like to check out the whole list.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
I'll make it even easier than that for you...

Which College Football Programs Are Best Represented In This Year’s Super Bowl?
Daniel D Zillmer

The Super Bowl is set to be played Sunday, February 2nd, in the frigid cold at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey between the Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks. The Broncos are led by one of the all-time greats at quarterback in Peyton Manning, while the Seahawks are led by second-year rising star Russell Wilson.

This matchup pits the the league’s best offense, which clicked at a 37.9 points-per-game clip this year, against the league’s best defense. That defense is the Legion of Boom, otherwise known as the Seahawks, which allowed only 14.4 points-per-game over the course of the season. But these great teams are comprised of players who all, at one time, made their names playing college ball. Below is a list of all of the universities that have at least two players representing their college in the big game.

The players below come from the current active rosters of both the Seahawks and the Broncos; enjoy college football fans.

Tennessee (5) Peyton Manning (QB – DEN), Tony McDaniel (DT – SEA), Robert Ayers (DE – DEN), Britton Colquitt (P – DEN), Malik Jackson (DE – DEN)

Wisconsin (4) Russell Wilson (QB – SEA), Montee Ball (RB – DEN), Chris Maragos (S – SEA), O’Brien Schofield (LB – SEA)

North Carolina State (4) Russell Wilson (QB – SEA),* Steven Hauscka (K – SEA), Nate Irving (LB – DEN), J.R. Sweezy (G – SEA)

Stanford (3) Richard Sherman (CB – SEA), Doug Baldwin (WR – SEA), Sione Fua (DT – DEN)

Georgia (3) Knowshon Moreno (RB – DEN), Champ Bailey (CB – DEN), Chris Clemons (DE – SEA)

Texas Tech (3) Wes Welker (WR – DEN), Manny Ramirez (C – DEN), Louis Vasquez (G – DEN)

California (3) Marshawn Lynch (RB – SEA), Brandon Mebane (DT – SEA), C.J. Anderson (RB – DEN)

Florida (3) Percy Harvin (WR – SEA), Jeremy Mincey (DE – DEN), Andre Caldwell (WR – DEN)

Kentucky (3) Jacob Tamme (TE – DEN), Danny Trevathan (LB – DEN), Wesley Woodyard (LB – DEN)

USC (3) Winston Justice (T – DEN), Mike Morgan (LB – SEA), Malcolm Smith (LB – SEA)

Texas (3) Quentin Jammer (CB – DEN), Earl Thomas (FS – SEA), Michael Huff (FS – DEN)

Arizona State (3) Zach Miller (TE – SEA), Omar Bolden (S – DEN), Brock Osweller (QB – DEN)

Texas A&M (3) Michael Bennett (DE – SEA), Red Bryant (DE – SEA), Christine Michael (RB – SEA)

San Diego State (3) Ronnie Hillman (RB – DEN), Heath Farwell (LB – SEA), Aaron Brewer (LS – DEN)

Notre Dame (2) Golden Tate (WR – SEA), David Bruton (S – DEN)

Portland State (2) Julius Thomas (TE – DEN), DeShawn Shead (DB – SEA)

Purdue (2) Cliff Avril (DE – SEA), Shaun Phillips (DE – DEN)

Oklahoma State (2) Russell Okung (T – SEA), Michael Bowie (T – SEA)

Oregon (2) Max Unger (C – SEA), Walter Thurmond (CB – SEA)

Nevada (2) Virgil Green (TE – DEN), Brandon Marshall (LB – DEN)

Utah State (2) Bobby Wagner (LB – SEA), Robert Turbin (RB – SEA)

Penn State (2) Jordan Hill (DT – SEA), Michael Robinson (FB – SEA)

Virginia Tech (2) Kam Chacellor (S – SEA), Vinston Painter (T – DEN)

*Russell Wilson is given equal credit to both Wisconsin and North Carolina State as he led both teams to bowl games.

Wisconsin will have the best opportunity to have two separate alumni score a touchdown (Wilson, Ball) in the big game. But, Tennessee fans have the most former players to root for; including the odds-on favorite to take home the Super Bowl MVP Trophy (Manning).

Biggest surprises on the list? San Diego State with three and Portland State with two former players competing for the right to hold up the Lombardi Trophy.

Notable schools left off the list include; Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Florida State, Oklahoma, Michigan and Auburn.

Which university do you think will make the biggest impact on the Super Bowl?