Tiger Woods

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Tiger Woods

Post by John K » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:21 am

Everyone seemed sure that Tiger would be one of the top cotenders at the Masters, but he played very poorly all week. What do think are the odds that he'll ever win another major? Do you think he still has any shot at eventually breaking Nicklaus' record?

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Tiger Woods

Post by TIrwin24 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:00 am

I think he will.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:22 am

John K wrote:Everyone seemed sure that Tiger would be one of the top cotenders at the Masters, but he played very poorly all week. What do think are the odds that he'll ever win another major? Do you think he still has any shot at eventually breaking Nicklaus' record?
no reason he won't win more majors. he played just as bad as rory did this week and i haven't heard anyone talk about him. tiger didn't play well this week. his putting has been all over the place. but i think it's much too early to write him off now. he still made the cut which is more than many guys can say. i won't say with certainty he'll win a bunch more majors, i'm just saying it's not like he's out there shooting 80's. just needs to get out of his own way i think.

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:46 pm

Tiger Woods is the Danica Patrick of golf..........the media goes out of their way to let everyone know just how "LAST" they are each weekend.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

BearCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BearCat » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:46 pm

He'll never dominate the sport like he used to.....he's become too self-involved and too much of a premedona for that. (Plus have you ever seen anyone with more unsportsman-like conduct than him?). However, he's too good not to surprise everyone now and then and pull a jacket out of his a$$.

Sincerely, Avid Griz & Bobcat Fan!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:55 pm

TIrwin24 wrote:I think he will.
Do you mean you think he'll still break Nicklaus' record, or just that he'll win at least one more major?

Air Force Cat

Post by Air Force Cat » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:59 pm

He just needs to find a couple more well-endowed women and he will be winning tournaments in no time. What does he have to lose???

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:06 pm

BearCat wrote:He'll never dominate the sport like he used to.....he's become too self-involved and too much of a premedona for that. (Plus have you ever seen anyone with more unsportsman-like conduct than him?). However, he's too good not to surprise everyone now and then and pull a jacket out of his a$$.
I think he's always been fairly self-involved and somewhat of a prima donna. I think the difference is simply that he's not quite as good as he once was, and his competition is better than it's ever been. Also, I never really understood understand why he felt that he needed to alter his swing yet again, after having won 6 of the 14 majors that he played from 2005-2008. It seemed like the swing he was using during those years was working pretty well for him...right?

BearCat

Post by BearCat » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:13 pm

John K wrote:
BearCat wrote:He'll never dominate the sport like he used to.....he's become too self-involved and too much of a premedona for that. (Plus have you ever seen anyone with more unsportsman-like conduct than him?). However, he's too good not to surprise everyone now and then and pull a jacket out of his a$$.
I think he's always been fairly self-involved and somewhat of a prima donna. I think the difference is simply that he's not quite as good as he once was, and his competition is better than it's ever been. Also, I never really understood understand why he felt that he needed to alter his swing yet again, after having won 6 of the 14 majors that he played from 2005-2008. It seemed like the swing he was using during those years was working pretty well for him...right?
Whatever "it" was that he had he has lost. I don't think tiger will ever be the player that he used to be. To add to that, he used to be a respectable competitor. In my opinion, he has lost that....I don't respect him anymore...and that has nothing to do with the affair BS. I think that he is trying to find himself and his place in the sport again. Maybe that has something to do with his change in style? Whatever it is, it's not working. But you are correct, the competition that he is up against is way stronger than it has ever been.

Sincerely, Avid Griz & Bobcat Fan!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:46 pm

he has always been a "tinkerer" of his swing. sometimes it seems crazy to a casual fan like myself but it's tough to argue with his results. he probably won't be back to what he was. but he set the bar VERY high to do so. doesn't mean he couldn't win a few more majors along the way. he's still one of the best players in the world. the difference is that his peers are better than they have ever been....and they aren't scared to compete. golf is more entertaining now than it ever has been because in any given tourney....any player can win.

as for his latest struggles, i think it's about 95% dealing with his injury, and 5% other crap. his issue right now is that left knee. he's trying to figure out how to get the same power he used to....but with very little stress on the left knee. any of you golfers know that is nearly impossible. it's hard for a guy like me who swings the club about 70 mph! can you imagine the stress on his knee when he STILL is swinging 120+ mph?! it has got to be frustrating for him because for any right handed player, that left knee is one of your most valuable body parts.

like i said before, i just think he needs to get out of his own way. he needs to lose the ego, and realize that not being the longest guy on tour isn't a bad thing....if the ball is in play. he won a few weeks ago with a great field, and i expect to see him win many more before it's all said and done.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:57 pm

So if we put the over/under at 4 (the number needed to tie Nicklaus) for the number of majors he'll win from here on out, what way would you bet?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:48 pm

John K wrote:So if we put the over/under at 4 (the number needed to tie Nicklaus) for the number of majors he'll win from here on out, what way would you bet?
i'd take the under. although it's a tough bet because counting tiger out in anything pertaining to golf seems crazy. but winning majors isn't easy. especially not right now when the difference between the #1 player in the world and the #200 player in the world isn't that much. so reluctantly, i'd take the under not so much because of tiger, but because of the field and the difficulty of winning majors. but nothing would shock me. if he never won another one i wouldn't be surprised. if he rattled off 5+....i wouldn't be surprised.

Old Skool Cat

Post by Old Skool Cat » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:00 pm

Two things that Tiger Woods used to have as his biggest advantages over the rest of the field was his mental toughness and his intimidation factor. He has an advantage no longer in either of those. Tiger's mental toughness was second to none. He could hit a bad shot and put it away the minute he put the club back in the bag. Now I think he lets those kind of shots get in his head. He has tinkered with his swing way too much. It used to be a fluid, natural swing. Now it is way to robotic for his style, and when something breaks down, he thinks about it too much instead of just swinging the club. When his opponents would hit a good shot, Tiger would hit a great shot. When they would hit a great shot, he would hit an unbelievable shot. He just doesn't have that ability to dig down deep and one-up his opponents like he used.

He also no longer intimidates the field anymore. Sure, there's the old guard that used to just fade whenever they saw his name climbing up a leaderboard. But the young guns on the tour have no fear of him. The didn't play with him back in the day when there was nobody better, so they just don't know any better. Plus, they all can bomb it out further then he can. Even guys like Phil don't fear him anymore. When you would see Tiger's name on top or climbing the leaderboard, you just knew he was gonna pile it on. Now, the guys see his name, and they know that he's in for a collapse sooner or later. He started to lose that intimidation when Y.E. Yang stepped up and out-dueled Tiger in 2009 for the PGA Championship. I think you can look at that specific date for when it all started to crumble for Mr. Woods.

Sure Tiger will get some wins on tour, and maybe even a major or two. But I think it's going to be an extremely difficult task for him to overtake Jack. I think the field is stronger than it was back when Jack was approaching his late thirties, with guys like Bubba, Rory, Donald, Rickie, etc. I think Tiger's injuries and multiple surgeries will begin taking a heavy toll on his body. And, if the truth were told, I still don't believe he is righted the ship when it comes to his mental and emotional health. Watching him over the weekend at the Masters, it appeared to me as though he just wasn't all the there mentally. That factor alone is why I do not think he will overtake Jack.

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:12 am

I'm already sick of hearing Bubba's name.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:06 am

TIrwin24 wrote:I'm already sick of hearing Bubba's name.
he probably is too. doesn't get more laid back and down to earth than that dude.