How much things have changed

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SonomaCat

How much things have changed

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:11 pm

There are some decent football players on this roster, but most of the lineman are far too small to expect to see playing time for the Bobcats. :wink:

http://www.football-almanac.com/teams/1 ... lers.shtml

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Re: How much things have changed

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:31 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:There are some decent football players on this roster, but most of the lineman are far too small to expect to see playing time for the Bobcats. :wink:

A number of those guys were bigger than listed, but yeah, players have definitely gotten bigger over the years.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:56 am

Bay Area Cat wrote:There are some decent football players on this roster, but most of the lineman are far too small to expect to see playing time for the Bobcats. :wink:

That's a bit of an understatement. There's probably about 8-10 Hall of Famers on that roster, and several others who were borderline HOF caliber. But you make an excellent point. It's amazing how much bigger players are today, than they were in that era.

Weltercat
Member # Retired

Post by Weltercat » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:10 pm

I think Mike Webster at 6'1" and 252lbs could hold his own at center in any era.

"The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem. Unless we solve that problem it will avail us little to solve all others." Theodore Roosevelt

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Weltercat wrote:I think Mike Webster at 6'1" and 252lbs could hold his own at center in any era.
Probably guys like Joe Greene, Jack Ham, and Jack Lambert too.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:06 pm

I hate to say it (because I am strongly nostalgic for those old Steelers teams and really don't like NFL football at all today), but I'd bet that any team in the league today would absolutely steamroll those old Steelers teams. The players are simply so much bigger and faster and stronger today. The more money that goes into the game, the bigger and faster the players become ... will be interesting to see if this trends continues, or if these guys are near maxing out what the human body can withstand?