Peyton Manning

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Peyton Manning

Post by catamaran » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:18 pm

he passed physicals from all three teams he worked out for

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

BroncoCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BroncoCat » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:29 pm

I would be very surprised if their is any trade value for Tebow. Everybody saw what a fan base can do when Tebow is on the bench, and things aren't going very well. I have no doubt that Fox started Tebow with the desire to show everyone that he can't play, thus giving the team the justification to get rid of him. But they did win. About the only scenario that the Broncos could rid themselves of Tebow would be to get some one of Manning's stature.
It will have to be an owner intervention for anyone to pickup Tebow, marketing and dollars appeal to them. Tebow will be in the league, and deserves a chance to get better. Some one will take him, but there really aren't any starter positions available where Tebow could be considered an upgrade. Saints and Patriots are about the only teams with the star power to keep their fans from chanting "Tebow, Tebow..."
Will be interesting.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:27 am

Well, the Jets gave up a 4th round pick for Tebow ... which is probably about where he should have been drafted in the first place ... so it appears that the market is normalizing after it's bizarre Josh Daniels "bubble."

BroncoCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BroncoCat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:15 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:Well, the Jets gave up a 4th round pick for Tebow ... which is probably about where he should have been drafted in the first place ... so it appears that the market is normalizing after it's bizarre Josh Daniels "bubble."
Agreed. That is a more than fair draft pick coming to the Broncos.
Not a very bright move on the jets part. They just extended Sanchez's contract to give him confidence, and now he can look forward to hearing Tebow chants from 80,000 fans. Rex Ryan unemployed in 2013?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:33 pm

I actually doubt that Jets fans are going to be the type of crew that will be chanting for Tebow, unless Sanchez is just so awful that they have no other choice. They seem to be the kind of fans that would destroy a QB for being as ineffective as Tebow was ... not cheering him for being a cult of personality. I could be wrong, but that fanbase seems to be pretty demanding and not quite as likely to jump on the "feel good story" bandwagon as most of the rest of the country.

The best explanation I've heard is that the Jets will just use Tebow as a wildcat/change of pace guy, which is probably the most reasonable long-term fit for him at the QB position.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:02 pm

I'm still shocked that he chose Denver over SF. They came within one game of the SB last year, with Alex Smith at QB. Signing Manning would have made them the instant favorites for 2012 in the NFC. They have a great defense, good running game, and potentially a great corps of receivers, not to mention better weather than Denver. Unless he just really wanted to avoid the possibility of playing the NYG in the NFC championship game, and having one brother knock the other out of the SB. The only other possible scenario, is that Denver viewed signing Manning as the only way they'd ever be able to jettison Tebow, and they were so desperate to do so, that they were willing to pay Manning much more than he was offered by any of the other teams.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:18 pm

i don't know that he and harbaugh would have meshed well together. harbaugh was a good qb himself, and has proved to be great at developing qb's. he has a TON of control over that position and the offense as a whole. i'm not sure he or manning would have been comfortable with that. manning needs and offense that he can run like he did in indy, and i don't think that's the niners.

i actually think denver is a great fit. he has one of the greatest qb's ever in his corner. he'll have full reign of the offense. and one of the biggest pros of fox as a coach is he's very flexible. that was never more apparant than last year. i think he and manning with elway looking on is a great group to build a team around. i'd be excited to be a broncos fan right now.

MashTun
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MashTun » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:19 pm

John K wrote:I'm still shocked that he chose Denver over SF. They came within one game of the SB last year, with Alex Smith at QB. Signing Manning would have made them the instant favorites for 2012 in the NFC. They have a great defense, good running game, and potentially a great corps of receivers, not to mention better weather than Denver. Unless he just really wanted to avoid the possibility of playing the NYG in the NFC championship game, and having one brother knock the other out of the SB. The only other possible scenario, is that Denver viewed signing Manning as the only way they'd ever be able to jettison Tebow, and they were so desperate to do so, that they were willing to pay Manning much more than he was offered by any of the other teams.
I agree with a lot of what you've posted. SF's defense, Peyton at the controls with the O, with Gore running seems like a no brainer.

I wonder if the decision hinged on how much, and how easily Manning could influence the offense. Either place would be a lot, but I think John Fox is a little more ready to "give the keys to the car" offensively than Harbaugh is. My two cents....

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:56 pm

Smart move by the Jets. Sanchez will look like Joe Montana compared to Tebow.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:10 pm

ilovethecats wrote:i don't know that he and harbaugh would have meshed well together. harbaugh was a good qb himself, and has proved to be great at developing qb's. he has a TON of control over that position and the offense as a whole. i'm not sure he or manning would have been comfortable with that. manning needs and offense that he can run like he did in indy, and i don't think that's the niners.

i actually think denver is a great fit. he has one of the greatest qb's ever in his corner. he'll have full reign of the offense. and one of the biggest pros of fox as a coach is he's very flexible. that was never more apparant than last year. i think he and manning with elway looking on is a great group to build a team around. i'd be excited to be a broncos fan right now.
Not to mention a good, young O-line (with Clady, one of the best young OT's in the game protecting his blindside), a decent running game, and an improved defense that is also younger. But as a Bronco's fan, I'm still a little weirded out by it... Peyton Manning is the Bronco's QB? Really? Wow. I still don't know what to think. And I feel really bad for Tebow; you thought him backing up Orton was an awkward situation? That locker room is already about as caustic as it gets. Jacksonville would have been a MUCH better fit for him (or any of the Florida teams, for that matter).

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: