Ricky Rubio

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

A-Frame
BobcatNation Letterman

Ricky Rubio

Post by A-Frame » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:39 am

I know there aren't many NBA/Pro basketball lovers here, but anyone have any thoughts on Ricky Rubio? Anyone think that he will live up to the hype of being compared to Pistol Pete?

GO CATS!

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Ricky Rubio

Post by whitetrashgriz » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:11 pm

A-Frame wrote:I know there aren't many NBA/Pro basketball lovers here, but anyone have any thoughts on Ricky Rubio? Anyone think that he will live up to the hype of being compared to Pistol Pete?
as a t-wolve fan i can say i was not all that impressed with the pick, but not because of his lack of talent. the kid has been playing pro ball since he was 14 and held his own against the best in the world last summer when he was 17. the kid can flat out play, and i think he'll be an all-star in the nba. that is, if he decides to enter the nba! that's why i always hate these picks, and i think they need to make a rule about foreign players because they have too much control over where they play. i'll need to do some research but i thought i remembered that the teams that draft these kids only control their rights for a few years, in which time the kid can turn around and join another team, like i said, i could be wrong on this statement but it's something i think i heard. i think in a draft as bad as this year, it was worth a shot to draft him, and try an trade him to a team that he'd be happy playing for. i just think it's not fair these guys have way more say in where they play than kids here in the states. all that said, pistol pete is one of my all-time faves, and one of the best to ever touch a ball. comparisons to him should be a far ways off imo.

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

A-Frame
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by A-Frame » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:51 pm

I agree, I think he is going to end up being an all-star, but when? I thought it was interesting that the Wolves said they drafted him #5 instead of the #6 pick so he could get more money for his 6 Million dollar buyout from his Spanish club. And I'm totally with ya on the Pistol. He is my favorite player of all time. Just amazes me watching him play. I showed my 7th and 8th graders that I coached last fall some pistol highlights on Youtube and they all just loved him, and would spend time before practice doing their best Pistol Pete moves. One major thing they have in common is their size. Both being 6'5" they both just seem to have this commanding presence when they have the ball in their hands. They both are so upright that the ball just looks like a yo-yo when they are dribbling, and always seem to see every part of the court. By just watching hilight reels on youtube you can see there are some definite similarities in their game, but It will take a lot for Rubio to reach that level.

GO CATS!

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:07 pm

Rubio is exciting and an elite passer but the comparisons to PPM are dumb.

Pistol Pete could score and that is by far the weakest area of Rubios game.

RR is the best player the T-Wolves have had since Garnett left and if he plays for them they should have the premier playmaker in the NBA for years to come.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by whitetrashgriz » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:44 pm

AlphaGriz1 wrote:Rubio is exciting and an elite passer but the comparisons to PPM are dumb.

Pistol Pete could score and that is by far the weakest area of Rubios game.

RR is the best player the T-Wolves have had since Garnett left and if he plays for them they should have the premier playmaker in the NBA for years to come.
pretty good anlysis froma guy who pretends to not like the nba. :wink:

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:15 pm

Rubio plays in Spain.

:wink:

If I was like most posters on here I would tell you how incredible I was as a basketball player years ago, so its easy for me to know and analyze different players games but I am not most posters so I wont.

8)

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

WORM
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WORM » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:51 am

I ultimately think he will play for another team. I hated the t-wolves drafting back to back point guards. after taking time to look at the interest from around the league, this may have just been a bargaining chip pick. This kid will be able to sell tickets wherever he goes. a team like the knicks in a big market will be willing to give up significant talent to bring in a ticket seller. In the end may be a genious move by Khan. or it could be disasterous if nothing happens and flynn and rubio try to coexist on the young t-wolves team. only time will tell.

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.