Braves Release Glavine

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Braves Release Glavine

Post by GrizinWashington » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:35 am

The Braves released Tom Glavine on Thursday.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/pri ... s0604.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First, all of my childhood stars were gone. And now, even the last vestiges of my young adulthood are fading fast....

Siiiigh.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Braves Release Glavine

Post by canyoncat » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:04 am

GrizinWashington wrote:The Braves released Tom Glavine on Thursday.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/pri ... s0604.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First, all of my childhood stars were gone. And now, even the last vestiges of my young adulthood are fading fast....

Siiiigh.
I think this is a big mistake by the Braves. I remember when Glavine burst on the scene. So steady! Never had huge strick out numbers, just let his defense do their job and kept batters off balance. One of my favorite things about Glavine was he didn't take anything from anybody! I remember one of his starts where one of the Braves batters got hit (can't remember who the Braves were playing or who the batter was). Of course the ump warns both benches. When Glavine came up to pitch the next inning he just calmly threw right at the batter and hit him. Didn't even look at the umpire and walked straight to the dug out. He played "old school" baseball and didn't have a problem pitching inside and buzzing your chin if you were leaning too far over the plate. Really enjoyed watching Glavine, Smoltz, Maddox and Avrey (when he was on) pitch for the Braves in the Mid 90's. They could have brought him back let him start and see what happens. Their pitching staff (especially the relief) isn't all that great. Either him or one of the other starters could move to the bullpen. They aren't going to win the NL East anyway's, so why not bring back a fan favorite and see if he still has it for a couple of starts.

GO CATS!!!

BroncoCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BroncoCat » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:19 am

Loved Glavine. One thing (in addition to many) that I loved about him was he took pride in his at bats
I hate the DH rule, and I always use Glavine in support of my arguments that pitchers can hit or at least
be effective in their at bats.
He was a a great teamate, player and pitcher. The league could use more like him.

WORM

Post by WORM » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:41 am

I was initially disappointed when they dropped smoltz at the beginning of the year, and now glavine. But after looking at the big picture im glad to see them making these hard decisions. Its time they stopped feeling loyal to players and got a team together that will win. fans dont want to see loyalty, they want to see winning baseball. this opens up a spot in the rotation for hanson, and with they addition of mclouth they will be able to compete in the NL east. GREAT JOB!!!

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:36 am

HATE the Braves (Dodgers fan 8) ) but loved watching Glavine pitch. They had one of the all-time great rotations for a long time. T'was a good run, now time for Bobby to go. No, not Hauck. :wink:

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:28 pm

It was time for Glavine to go.

If they let Smoltz get away they might as well dump Glavine and trade Chipper.

Wren is never going to be Schuerholz and will keep my Braves mired in mediocrity with his idiotic decisions.

I disagree about the loyalty thing, more team need to be loyal to their fans and players. The players also need to be loyal to the fans and the owners.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

WORM

Post by WORM » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:26 pm

AlphaGriz1 wrote:It was time for Glavine to go.

If they let Smoltz get away they might as well dump Glavine and trade Chipper.

Wren is never going to be Schuerholz and will keep my Braves mired in mediocrity with his idiotic decisions.

I disagree about the loyalty thing, more team need to be loyal to their fans and players. The players also need to be loyal to the fans and the owners.
do you believe that a team should hold onto a player that will no longer help their team? I dont see the logic here. These individuals are in a business, and so are the teams. If you were offered twice the money to work somewhere else would you remain loyal to your current employer? at the same time if you are no longer valued to your employer should they keep you on at a loss?

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:59 pm

Glavine is easily better than ANYONE in the bullpen right now.

I was only saying they should have got rid of him to keep in line with the other stupid decisions Wren has made.

I am however excited to see what Tommy Hanson is made of after all his hype. Its about time the Braves got that one guy that steps in and dominates like Cole Hamels and Tim Lincecum have.

I hope TH is that guy.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com