The Players Championship

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Old Skool Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

The Players Championship

Post by Old Skool Cat » Thu May 07, 2009 10:24 am

The Players Championship teed off this morning at the TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Verde, Florida. Once again, it boasts the strongest field in golf at one of the greatest venues in professional golf. So the question begs: does this need to be elevated in status as a 5th major in golf? I know the traditionalists, and I used to be one, will beckon that only the four majors now should be recognized, mainly because of longevity and status. But guys who have won the The Players will tell you that it's one of the highlights of their career. I know golf has tried to energize it's viewership with the advent of the FedEx Cup, but I honestly don't see that as very exciting. I think personally I would like to see it given majors status as it deserves it.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: The Players Championship

Post by GOKATS » Thu May 07, 2009 11:17 am

I'd guess it should be considered a 'major' (it is often referred to as the 5th major). It's been around since the 70's, draws the best golfers, and has the highest dollar payout of any tournament. That qualifies it in my book, but golf is steeped in tradition and things don't change rapidly.

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Thu May 07, 2009 11:36 am

The funny thing about this tournament is that most of the players dislike the course, calling it "gimmicky". If you subscribe to SI you probably received the special golf issue focusing largely on the TPC, and the annonymous comments of the players was telling. But they all keep coming back year after year.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:46 am

Lefty really struggled in the back nine yesterday. I hope he picks it up today.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Fri May 08, 2009 11:54 am

TIrwin24 wrote:Lefty really struggled in the back nine yesterday. I hope he picks it up today.
Looks like he's even after 12 (-1 today).

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....