Bears Land Cutler

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CATCO
BobcatNation Letterman

Bears Land Cutler

Post by CATCO » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:57 pm

Bears got Cutler for Orton and a 1st round pick in 2009 and 2010. Who made the best move?

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bears Land Cutler

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:01 pm

DA BEARS

I'm a Bears fan....full disclosure

RMD
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by RMD » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:06 pm

I would say the Donkeys got the better end of the deal!!! they got rid of the cry baby bed wetter and got draft picks and a QB who really isn't that good, but he will work his butt off!!

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:10 pm

Bears also sign Orlando Pace (after Rams dropped him). He'll play Left Tackle.

Whether you agree or not (and I like both deals) they sure are trying to make a run at the playoffs.

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by catamaran » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:16 pm

they should ask marc bulger how much that helps

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:51 pm

Anybody who thinks that the Broncos are better off without Cutler is off their rocker. He is almost assuredly the leagues best young talent and "was" the unquestioned leader of the team. Yeah maybe he let his emotions get the better of him, but the coach and owner SHOULD have been able to avert or at least tame the situation. Lets see what everyone has to say when Cutler is a perennial pro-bowler and the Broncos are searching for another "John Elway" like they have been for the last 10 years.

I personally think McDaniels was a horrible hire, I'm not a fan of Billiceck or anyone associated with him. I really wish they would have got Spagnola(sp?) from New York to revamp the defense and leave Jim Bates. After all, Cutlers is right about this being one of the best offenses in the league last year, and there was no real reason to change it.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:58 pm

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:01 pm

I'm listening to ESPN radio in Chicago (over the internet)....and they are more excited than I am.
I'm betting $10 right now that Cutler is throwing out the opening day pitch at either the Cubs or White Sox game.....or both.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Ponycat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Ponycat » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:03 pm

Sorry to rain on your parade HeleanaCat, but without Marshall and Royal, Cutler is an average QB. IMHO.

The devil made me do it the first time... the second time I done it on my own.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:05 pm

Ponycat wrote:Sorry to rain on your parade HeleanaCat, but without Marshall and Royal, Cutler is an average QB. IMHO.
I think he's much better than average.......and they're upgrading from well-below average in Orton and Grossman.
But receiver is the issue.
Best thing for the Bears is that 1) Forte will have a better season (can't stack the box against him); and even more importantly, the Bears Defense won't be on the field for 40+ minutes per game.

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:34 pm

I must be off my rocker because I think Cutler was as good as he was only because of the system and the people around him. The Broncos got the better deal and as a Broncos fan, I'm happy to get rid of the baby, fill his shoes with some toughness, and get some nice draft spots.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

SaxCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by SaxCat » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:48 pm

Cutler will instantly improve the Bears. Short term they win the trade. What is to be seen is what the Broncos do with the draft picks and what Orton can do with a decent offense around him. Long term I think it ends up even as the Bears get a franchise QB and the Broncos turn all those draft picks into a repaired defense.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:36 am

It would have been a better deal with just the 2 first-rounders, minus Orton. :shock: :wink:

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:44 am

Orton's stats are not that bad considering he didn't have a decent offense around him. Plus, according to ESPN radio, he's very tough and a very good leader. They basically said he's everything Cutler isn't.

I think the Broncos could be 8-8 this coming year but they'll be better in the long run. Ok, I'm hopeful. For no other reason, everyone should root for the Broncos because Alpha hates them so much. =D^

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:58 am

Cutler is/was good. But you can't think his numbers would be so high if he had a "D". Denver's D sucked, they played from behind, they passed the ball.

With that said, Cutler is like 12-1 or something when "his" "d" give us 21 pts or less. I'm guessing Detroit, GB & Minnesota are probably not liking this trade.

I don't mind Chicago and I don't mind Denver but I'm hoping Cutler is a flop in Chicago. And McDaniels is a flop in Denver. :D :twisted:

DriftCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriftCat » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:19 am

I think both teams got what they were looking for but I think Denver got the best deal. No more cry-baby, two first rounders, a third rounder, and a decent QB.

Bears get a good young QB that has the mental capacity of a 5 year old. He will eventually take his ball and go home there as well.

F.K.A. - MM7CAT

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:27 am

I just love how everyone keeps trying to say that Cutler isn't tough and is a "crybaby". So he got emotional about the game he loves. It's not like the ownership or coaching staff went out of there way to fix everything. Lets face it, everybody's egos got in the way and this was horribly handled on all sides. But to say that Cutler is not a good leader because he is emotional and needs to trust the guys he's working with is total bull. And did everyone forget he played an entire season with undiagnosed diabetes(sp?) screwing with his system and he still put up numbers. Don't tell me this kid isn't tough and isn't very committed to this game.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:00 am

technoCat wrote:I just love how everyone keeps trying to say that Cutler isn't tough and is a "crybaby". So he got emotional about the game he loves. It's not like the ownership or coaching staff went out of there way to fix everything. Lets face it, everybody's egos got in the way and this was horribly handled on all sides. But to say that Cutler is not a good leader because he is emotional and needs to trust the guys he's working with is total bull. And did everyone forget he played an entire season with undiagnosed diabetes(sp?) screwing with his system and he still put up numbers. Don't tell me this kid isn't tough and isn't very committed to this game.

Techno,
Going back to an old post of yours....I dont like McDaniels either. I would rather have had Rex Ryan (just look at the baltimore d that he built).

I think both Cutler and the Broncos lied through thier teeth on this whole deal. Everyone involved handled the situation messily and its all BS in my opinion.

Now on to the trade. The Broncos rocked it. They got rid of a QB that would not have played well or at all for the Broncos in the future season because of his "emotions" (WTF are those?)
McDaniels will be a better drafter than Shanahan has been lately. We will get 5 or 6 starters in the next two drafts. Also Orton was a pretty dang good qb last year in terms of wins and production from a team that has basically no offense. With the broncos O-Line, WR, and their plethora of RB's that can get the job done and well, Orton will manage the game and win some games. Also with the improvement to the defense and the move of DJ williams back to the outside backer spot (i hope) we will see a much improved defense and team.

All this stuff really hinges on McDaniels. Im not happy about him so only time will tell

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

BroncoCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BroncoCat » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:25 pm

The Broncos wiffed twice this offseason that will affect their team for years.
1. I can see firing Shanahan, but the Mcdaniels hire was a reach at best. Everyone wants the new young "genius", which Mcdaniels may be; but he
has no expierience drafting, managing, or running a team. He has completely messed up a very good QB situation on an established offense.
He has Belichek envy, and is trying to follow Belichek's method. Belichek has had 2 head coaching jobs; at both jobs his way to take over the team was
to run off the established, popular QB: Kosar in Cleveland, and Bledsoe in New England. Anyone who doesn't think Mcdaniels intention from the
start was to run off Cutler is blind.
2. As for trading Cutler, the Broncos got good value, but the Broncos of all teams should realized how hard it is to find that special franchise QB to
build around. You can't put a price on the value of a great QB, and this move sets them back to where they were in 1999. No QB of significance, and a
franchise without an identity.
A few weeks after the Cassel for Cutler trade didn't happen, Cutler should have been the bigger man and been willing to move forward, but I can
see his reason for distrust with the management and ownership. He was lied to repeatedly about the trade possibilities, and about retaining some members of the coaching staff. And there is no excuse or sincerity when the coach's primary method to reach out to the a wary QB is by TEXT MESSAGE. This all happened by design.And as for Cutler being stupid, immature, a cry baby and the product of a system and good receivers(how well were those receivers regarded before they played with Cutler?) : he graduated from Vanderbilt, one of the finest privated colleges in a major athletic conference, scored very high on the Wonderlic test, was the offensive player of the year in the SEC and has established himself with his team mates. The number of teams and offers to trade for him show how
well he is regarded by coaches and front office people in the league.I have been a Bronco fan since the 70's when the QB was Craig Morton. This is the most disgusted I have been with the team. I think you Bronco haters will be happy, because I see some lean years for this team. I think the Bears will be a playoff team, and possibly a NFC front runner.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:32 pm

BroncoCat wrote:The Broncos wiffed twice this offseason that will affect their team for years.
1. I can see firing Shanahan, but the Mcdaniels hire was a reach at best. Everyone wants the new young "genius", which Mcdaniels may be; but he
has no expierience drafting, managing, or running a team. He has completely messed up a very good QB situation on an established offense.
He has Belichek envy, and is trying to follow Belichek's method. Belichek has had 2 head coaching jobs; at both jobs his way to take over the team was
to run off the established, popular QB: Kosar in Cleveland, and Bledsoe in New England. Anyone who doesn't think Mcdaniels intention from the
start was to run off Cutler is blind.
2. As for trading Cutler, the Broncos got good value, but the Broncos of all teams should realized how hard it is to find that special franchise QB to
build around. You can't put a price on the value of a great QB, and this move sets them back to where they were in 1999. No QB of significance, and a
franchise without an identity.
A few weeks after the Cassel for Cutler trade didn't happen, Cutler should have been the bigger man and been willing to move forward, but I can
see his reason for distrust with the management and ownership. He was lied to repeatedly about the trade possibilities, and about retaining some members of the coaching staff. And there is no excuse or sincerity when the coach's primary method to reach out to the a wary QB is by TEXT MESSAGE. This all happened by design.And as for Cutler being stupid, immature, a cry baby and the product of a system and good receivers(how well were those receivers regarded before they played with Cutler?) : he graduated from Vanderbilt, one of the finest privated colleges in a major athletic conference, scored very high on the Wonderlic test, was the offensive player of the year in the SEC and has established himself with his team mates. The number of teams and offers to trade for him show how
well he is regarded by coaches and front office people in the league.I have been a Bronco fan since the 70's when the QB was Craig Morton. This is the most disgusted I have been with the team. I think you Bronco haters will be happy, because I see some lean years for this team. I think the Bears will be a playoff team, and possibly a NFC front runner.
Not without recievers they wont be.

I wholeheartedly agree about mcdaniels. I wanted Rex Ryan

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level