Girls Basketball State Tournaments

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Girls Basketball State Tournaments

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:37 pm

Does it seem like there are way more Division I recruits and prospects playing in MT right now? Pretty good chances to see a lot of them at state tournaments. Here's who I can think of just off the top of my head:

AA
Breanna Williams (Skyview) is headed to Maryland and was national player of the week recently
Grossman girl from West is headed to EWU
Kadence Couture from Big Sky is only a junior but she's signed with Idaho
Jada Davis at Gallatin is only a sophomore I think (?) and she's been getting some big-time interest.
Kennedy Moore from Flathead is done but she's getting some love from some D-I schools.
Butte is also done but Cadence Graham is only a freshman and has just finished her second season of varsity. If she grows she could be a D-I kid, otherwise she might play for her dad at Tech

A
Mason Quinn at Frenchtown is a sophomore but she is the real deal. Her teammate Sadie Smith is going to Carroll but should be competing in track IMO!
Braeden Gunlock at Bigfork (junior) got an offer from BYU before the season started but hasn't made a commitment. Her sister Paeten is a sophomore and should go D-I as well
The last Fitzgerald girl is at Dillon and heading to Carroll but she plays like you'd expect RJ Fitzgerald's sister to play.

B
The O'Connor girls from Baker are a freshman and a sophomore but they're worth the price of admission.
Paige Lofing at Huntley is a junior and I don't think she's signed anywhere but she will.
I'm sure I'm missing some in Class B (I know there's a Loyola girl headed out to a small school in Oregon) but it sounds like this is between Huntley and Baker

C
Taylee Chirrick (Roberts) is coming to MSU, as is Teagan Erickson from Saco/Whitewater/Hinsdale...they play each other right off the bat on Thursday at noon in GF and I'd love to be there for that one.

Who else am I missing? Seems like there are at least a dozen girls in MT right now that are D-I players in the future. Can't say that on the boys' side.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Re: Girls Basketball State Tournaments

Post by tetoncat » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:31 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:37 pm
Does it seem like there are way more Division I recruits and prospects playing in MT right now? Pretty good chances to see a lot of them at state tournaments. Here's who I can think of just off the top of my head:

AA
Breanna Williams (Skyview) is headed to Maryland and was national player of the week recently
Grossman girl from West is headed to EWU
Kadence Couture from Big Sky is only a junior but she's signed with Idaho
Jada Davis at Gallatin is only a sophomore I think (?) and she's been getting some big-time interest.
Kennedy Moore from Flathead is done but she's getting some love from some D-I schools.
Butte is also done but Cadence Graham is only a freshman and has just finished her second season of varsity. If she grows she could be a D-I kid, otherwise she might play for her dad at Tech

A
Mason Quinn at Frenchtown is a sophomore but she is the real deal. Her teammate Sadie Smith is going to Carroll but should be competing in track IMO!
Braeden Gunlock at Bigfork (junior) got an offer from BYU before the season started but hasn't made a commitment. Her sister Paeten is a sophomore and should go D-I as well
The last Fitzgerald girl is at Dillon and heading to Carroll but she plays like you'd expect RJ Fitzgerald's sister to play.

B
The O'Connor girls from Baker are a freshman and a sophomore but they're worth the price of admission.
Paige Lofing at Huntley is a junior and I don't think she's signed anywhere but she will.
I'm sure I'm missing some in Class B (I know there's a Loyola girl headed out to a small school in Oregon) but it sounds like this is between Huntley and Baker

C
Taylee Chirrick (Roberts) is coming to MSU, as is Teagan Erickson from Saco/Whitewater/Hinsdale...they play each other right off the bat on Thursday at noon in GF and I'd love to be there for that one.

Who else am I missing? Seems like there are at least a dozen girls in MT right now that are D-I players in the future. Can't say that on the boys' side.
Size is such an issue on the boys side to be looked at for D1.

Sports is not bigger than life

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:28 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:

C

Well take a personal day or whatever it takes, gas up the rig and get over there. I'm combining a business trip with going to that game. If I'm being honest I didn't have to make the trip to get my business done but prefer to handle this business in person. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. The game will be my extended lunch hour. I've been wanting to see those two gals play for a long time and this seems like the perfect chance.

If I'd seen your post earlier I might not have posted over in the Basketball section, but it's all good.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:21 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:28 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:

C

Well take a personal day or whatever it takes, gas up the rig and get over there. I'm combining a business trip with going to that game. If I'm being honest I didn't have to make the trip to get my business done but prefer to handle this business in person. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. The game will be my extended lunch hour. I've been wanting to see those two gals play for a long time and this seems like the perfect chance.

If I'd seen your post earlier I might not have posted over in the Basketball section, but it's all good.
I know, I have a meeting here in Helena I can't move, then I'm headed down to State A in Butte. Just one thing too many today.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:10 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:21 am
Joe Bobcat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:

C

I know, I have a meeting here in Helena I can't move, then I'm headed down to State A in Butte. Just one thing too many today.

Well Teagan’s group at SWH pretty well handled Roberts…..72-45…..thought it would be closer.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:38 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:10 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:

C

Well Teagan’s group at SWH pretty well handled Roberts…..72-45…..thought it would be closer.
First half was back and forth. Roberts was down by 2 at halftime and I was thinking it would be SWH's closest game of the season or possibly their first loss. But they won the 3rd quarter 25-5 and that did it. I thought Taylee Chirrick was trying to do too much, but she's used to having to do everything.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:36 pm

Ennis (the 3 out of 5B?) just beat anaconda.

SWH vs TB tomorrow should be good. TB’s only loss was to SWH.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:02 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:38 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:

C

First half was back and forth. Roberts was down by 2 at halftime and I was thinking it would be SWH's closest game of the season or possibly their first loss. But they won the 3rd quarter 25-5 and that did it. I thought Taylee Chirrick was trying to do too much, but she's used to having to do everything.
Yes the first half was back and forth but my thought at halftime was that SWH could easily outscore Roberts by 10ish points in both the 3rd and 4th. They did that and more. Chirrick didn't have near the supporting cast that Erickson had, SWH is a very complete team, both teams do play a good brand of ball. Give Chirrick and Erickson their due credit and accolades but 5'11" Paige Wasson was quite impressive also. She was cat quick on defense with a number of steels and disruptions and handled the ball well dribbling and was most impressive moving without the ball to get open and solid shooting from everywhere on the court, simply put, she's a very complete player. Wasson is headed to Rocky next year, lucky for Rocky.

It was no surprise at all to see coaches Binford and Smallwood there to watch their future stars.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:38 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:02 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:38 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:

C

Yes the first half was back and forth but my thought at halftime was that SWH could easily outscore Roberts by 10ish points in both the 3rd and 4th. They did that and more. Chirrick didn't have near the supporting cast that Erickson had, SWH is a very complete team, both teams do play a good brand of ball. Give Chirrick and Erickson their due credit and accolades but 5'11" Paige Wasson was quite impressive also. She was cat quick on defense with a number of steels and disruptions and handled the ball well dribbling and was most impressive moving without the ball to get open and solid shooting from everywhere on the court, simply put, she's a very complete player. Wasson is headed to Rocky next year, lucky for Rocky.

It was no surprise at all to see coaches Binford and Smallwood there to watch their future stars.
After watching North Country play 5 or 6 games this year, I really think Wasson is tougher to defend than Erickson. At least she's been the better player for the Mavericks this year. A few teams have slowed Teagan down, but Wasson makes a lot of shots every game all over the floor. It'll be fun to see how their college careers play out.

There's the truth, and then there's what's reported in the papers.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:45 pm

Bigfork girls thumped Lockwood last night, they play Miles City tonight. Bigfork took state last year in Class B, but obviously moved up to A this year due to hitting 300 enrollment. If they happen to win it all this year it will be the first time that's ever happened in the history of MT sports, to my knowledge.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:02 pm

State B:
Huntley Project over Anaconda for Girls 3rd

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:35 pm

State B final:
Baker over Loyola

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:17 am

@SonomaCat and I raised $1,100 for the IPF off the SWH vs Roy-Winifred game.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:46 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:17 am
@SonomaCat and I raised $1,100 for the IPF off the SWH vs Roy-Winifred game.
I need to know the story here...