Lewistown’s Fischer Brown To Play Senior Year In Utah

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Lewistown’s Fischer Brown To Play Senior Year In Utah

Post by imacat » Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:51 pm

John K
Golden Bobcat

Re: Lewistown’s Fischer Brown To Play Senior Year In Utah

Post by John K » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:46 pm

So this makes it seem highly unlikely there's any chance he might join his former teammate at MSU. Before I saw this, I thought it could be a possibility, especially considering that his dad was a former Bobcat. Obviously he didn't need to transfer to a prep school though, to get noticed by MSU (or UM). It's pretty amazing for a Montana Class A school to produce two D-I caliber basketball players, who played together on the same team. It happens occasionally at the AA level, but even that's very rare. Has it happened at the Class A level since Kral and Shann Ferch from Livingston, about 40 years ago?

centralmtfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by centralmtfan » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:59 am

You need an offer to join the team. Neither Royce or Fischer got that offer going into their Sr. Year. Instead both MT schools stay at distance, make other out of state schools wonder what is wrong with them, and then swoop in like the savior with an offer to walk on. Royce chose the walk on route, Fischer is rolling the dice after a successful summer of play (won the MVP at some big elite camp in St Louis) and is trying to get control of his recruitment rather than let Cats and Griz control the outcome. Smart move by him as Wasatch players are highly recruited. Both Royce and Fischer are super talented, I think Fischer just doesn’t want to be viewed as just a walk on after seeing what his HS teammate went through. We in CMT are rooting for both to have success.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:57 am

centralmtfan wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:59 am
You need an offer to join the team. Neither Royce or Fischer got that offer going into their Sr. Year. Instead both MT schools stay at distance, make other out of state schools wonder what is wrong with them, and then swoop in like the savior with an offer to walk on. Royce chose the walk on route, Fischer is rolling the dice after a successful summer of play (won the MVP at some big elite camp in St Louis) and is trying to get control of his recruitment rather than let Cats and Griz control the outcome. Smart move by him as Wasatch players are highly recruited. Both Royce and Fischer are super talented, I think Fischer just doesn’t want to be viewed as just a walk on after seeing what his HS teammate went through. We in CMT are rooting for both to have success.
What did Royce go thru? Got multiple Frontier offers, coach left both places and then got walk on offer to Cats. Now has his shot. What other MT kids in last 10 years other than Worster (sp) have gone D1 or should have.

Sports is not bigger than life

centralmtfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by centralmtfan » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:20 am

tetoncat wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:57 am
centralmtfan wrote:
What did Royce go thru? Got multiple Frontier offers, coach left both places and then got walk on offer to Cats. Now has his shot. What other MT kids in last 10 years other than Worster (sp) have gone D1 or should have.
You are exactly right. Very few kids with D1 abilities. For the few that do have it, the Montana schools have learned that nobody out of state is going to come in and recruit here, so if they wait long enough they can get them for cheap with a walk on. It is a business and coaches are in win now mode, can’t blame them. Both Royce and Fischer have D1 dreams and only NAIA offers. That NAIA offer, while a good offer, labels those kids as not D1 material because there is such a gap. Nobody from out of state is going to look at only NAIA offers . When Carrol opened up Royce gambled and called about walking on and they accepted. From what I read and hear, Fischer does not want to go that route, he wants to be in some sense of control of his recruiting and not just settling for a walk on. Got to hand it to the kid, this move takes courage. From what I know of him, I won’t be surprised if it pays high dividends. Great kid and leader in the school, but driven to play at a high level.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:45 am

tetoncat wrote:
centralmtfan wrote:
The list is pretty small over the past 10 years, but there are a couple:

Tres Tinkle
Raequan Evans
Bobby Howard
Daine Muller

I watched Lance McCutcheon play for Bozeman High and thought he had the physical tools to be a D1 basketball recruit if he had chosen to focus on that goal. Same for Reed Harris from Great Falls. Both were average high school basketball players but had physical abilities that could have allowed them to be very good. But they both focused on football because it is much easier to be a D1 football recruit than a D1 basketball prospect in Montana.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:30 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:45 am
tetoncat wrote:
centralmtfan wrote:
The list is pretty small over the past 10 years, but there are a couple:

Tres Tinkle
Raequan Evans
Bobby Howard
Daine Muller

I watched Lance McCutcheon play for Bozeman High and thought he had the physical tools to be a D1 basketball recruit if he had chosen to focus on that goal. Same for Reed Harris from Great Falls. Both were average high school basketball players but had physical abilities that could have allowed them to be very good. But they both focused on football because it is much easier to be a D1 football recruit than a D1 basketball prospect in Montana.
Also Kendal Manuel from Skyview, and Brendan Howard from GFH. I believe Howard only played one year at EWU before transferring to MSU-B though. For a year or two, OSU had three players from Montana on their roster, Tinkle, Muller, and Manuel, including two from Skyview. Skyview produced three D-I players in the span of just a couple years. Also Danny Robison and Samuelson from West. There are several others too, although most of the others only played a year or two at the D-I level before transferring.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:35 pm

Kids are noticed in football due to attending camps and sending film. Are more getting D1 offers, yes but there is also probably 4x as many kids playing each year than basketball. If BB kids go to out of state camps and travel tourney their odds Increase. FCS football can give partials. UM and MSU basketball can't. I bet there are only 5-8 full scholarships offered each year to MT kids in football with 100 n the roster. If a kid is D1 in BB and able to go to Gonzaga or Pac you think they stay because MSU offers them. And you really think we didnt.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:06 pm

I see Brown signed with Western Carolina. I understand Montana kids who go out of state when they have the opportunity to play at a much higher level than the BSC, i.e. Josh Huestis going to Stanford or Tre Tinkle going to Oregon State, especially since his dad was the coach there. It seems a bit odd to me though, that Brown would choose a low-major like Western Carolina over MSU, especially since his dad was a Bobcat. Obviously it's his choice, and I wish him the best of luck. I know kids can have lots of different reasons for choosing a college, beyond family legacy or whatever, and I don't mean to be critical of him at all. I really thought MSU would have a good chance at him though, if he didn't sign with a higher level conference/program than someplace like Western Carolina and the Southern Conference. Especially in light of MSU's recent and unprecedented success over the last four years. Besides the three straight BSC championships and NCAA appearances, we've played in the BSC title game four straight years, after not getting there for 23 years. The SoCon can't be much if any better than the BSC, right?

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:41 pm

Not sure MSU ever talked to him or offered.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:12 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:41 pm
Not sure MSU ever talked to him or offered.
I'm not doubting that you're right about that, but if that's correct, that would seem a bit odd to me too. A Montana kid, whose dad played for MSU, and is clearly good enough to play at that level.