Malta/Rocky Boy officiating.

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Malta/Rocky Boy officiating.

Post by wbtfg » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:19 pm

I’ve never seen anything like this. Insane...

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Re: Malta/Rocky Boy officiating.

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:11 am

Yeah I saw that and out of curiosity wanted to know more and see more so I watched the whole game. It did not get better. ugly

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:46 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:19 pm

What the hell am I watching? I don't see anything technical about any of those fouls.

Normally I'm a "respect the officials" for the most part (especially in high school ball), but this seems outrageous. Am i missing something or some context that doesn't show the refs completely controlling the game?

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:48 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:46 pm
wbtfg wrote:

What the hell am I watching? I don't see anything technical about any of those fouls.

Normally I'm a "respect the officials" for the most part (especially in high school ball), but this seems outrageous. Am i missing something or some context that doesn't show the refs completely controlling the game?
I had about the same reaction as you did which is why I decided to watch the whole game. The whole thing was rather ugly all the way around.
I too respect game officials, a very good friend of mine was one of the best and is in the MOA hall of fame, he also refed at the college level. I would love to hear what he thought about that game but he died of cancer a few years ago.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:55 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I hope those refs get suspended. I rewound and watched each infraction and those refs were just incompetent. That last player technical with the 3 pointer was unbelievably bad. I saw a small shove with one of the technicals but those shoves happen on virtually every rebound. I don’t know what the coaches said to garner technicals, but I have seen much worse behavior from coaches not revive a technical.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:17 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:55 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I hope those refs get suspended. I rewound and watched each infraction and those refs were just incompetent. That last player technical with the 3 pointer was unbelievably bad. I saw a small shove with one of the technicals but those shoves happen on virtually every rebound. I don’t know what the coaches said to garner technicals, but I have seen much worse behavior from coaches not revive a technical.
Yeah, none of those were deserving of a T.
Sure, maybe some contact fouls here and there but holy ****** what the hell were those refs thinking? I have never seen anything like that. That was BLATANT abuse of their power. Egregious decisions there.

I have no allegiance to either of those teams and I felt myself getting heated at the injustice there. Wow.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:47 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:17 pm
Cataholic wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Sure, maybe some contact fouls here and there but holy ****** what the hell were those refs thinking? I have never seen anything like that. That was BLATANT abuse of their power. Egregious decisions there.

I have no allegiance to either of those teams and I felt myself getting heated at the injustice there. Wow.
Maybe they were just practicing for the upcoming BSC officiating... :-k

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:51 pm

RickRund wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:47 pm
CatBlitz wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:17 pm
Cataholic wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Maybe they were just practicing for the upcoming BSC officiating... :-k
:lol: They'll fit in perfectly!

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

GRIZFNZ
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZFNZ » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:21 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:48 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I had about the same reaction as you did which is why I decided to watch the whole game. The whole thing was rather ugly all the way around.
I too respect game officials, a very good friend of mine was one of the best and is in the MOA hall of fame, he also refed at the college level. I would love to hear what he thought about that game but he died of cancer a few years ago.
Tony Lazlovich perhaps??

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:53 pm

The ref that called all the Ts was in training so to speak and is relatively new to officiating high school basketball. The AD from Malta was at a loss for words and the other guys reffing with him were ashamed by his actions. I went to high school with one of the other refs and he isn’t happy with it nor was Malta in general. I grew up in Malta and this is a stain the athletic community doesn’t want. Shameful all around, because the other refs should have stepped in and asked the guy, “what the hell are you doing”, but they didn’t including my buddy.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:23 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:53 pm
The ref that called all the Ts was in training so to speak and is relatively new to officiating high school basketball. The AD from Malta was at a loss for words and the other guys reffing with him were ashamed by his actions. I went to high school with one of the other refs and he isn’t happy with it nor was Malta in general. I grew up in Malta and this is a stain the athletic community doesn’t want. Shameful all around, because the other refs should have stepped in and asked the guy, “what the hell are you doing”, but they didn’t including my buddy.
To be fair and accurate, the calls made in the clip we have here were not all made by one ref. I wont use names but here's the list of calls.
At 6:27 1st qtr the slap of the backboard was T’d simultaneously by the tall ref and the balding ref.
At 4:16 3rd qtr the T on the ?flop? was called by the tall ref.
At 1:06 3rd qtr the T on the Rocky Boy bench/coach was by the tall ref.
At 5:42 4th qtr the T on the Malta bench/coach was by the balding ref.
At 5:11 4th qtr the push/elbowing foul was called by the ref with a slight bald spot.
At 4:32 4th qtr the ?flop? was called a T by the balding ref. who also called the final T on the Rocky coach.
So your dance card should show tall guy shared first T and solo on next 2, and the balding guy shared the first T and solo on the last 3. A total of 5 Ts on Rocky Boy and 1 on Malta. Watching the whole game sheds some light and gives some perspective to things but make no mistake, that game was a pig and no amount of washing, scrubbing or lipstick will change it. The officials, coaches and players all had a part in the debacle, everyone should want to flush that turd and move on. As in any game there were the close calls made that could’ve gone either way, and charges vs. blocks that went uncalled.... That game also had enough flops by both teams to embarrass a soccer player, most of which were ignored. I’ve watched both Malta and Rocky Boy play since then and they both appear to have learned some and moved on.