What a ridiculous reaction by this player...

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

What a ridiculous reaction by this player...

Post by RickRund » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:43 pm

Probably could have toasted a college career. As a junior his high school career better be done.

Could have easily caused a very serious injury to the official...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: What a ridiculous reaction by this player...

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:29 am

Follow up:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-foot ... the%20game.

For those that want a summary, the player, who is 18, was charged with assault and the school district has decided to forfeit their playoff spot. I'm not sure how I feel about the team suffering for the actions of what the one player did, especially showing several players and coaches trying to stop him from going after the ref. What do you guys think?

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:37 pm

I don’t like the team having to forfeit. This was a bad act by one player — assuming disrespecting officials has not been a team trend. I think rather than being a life-learning event the forfeit might well breed resentment instead, and backfire. I know how I would feel and it would not be warm and fuzzy.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:40 pm

I have a feeling the district administrators thought this move would shield them from criticism but they forgot which state they are in.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:18 am

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:40 pm
I have a feeling the district administrators thought this move would shield them from criticism but they forgot which state they are in.
The state of social media?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:26 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:18 am
coloradocat wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:40 pm
The state of social media?
This is Texas high school football. Kick the kid off the team, maybe suspend the coach for a game but don't punish the entire team unless you want to put your own job in jeopardy. Forfeiting the playoffs won't win over the virtue signaling social media crowd.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:11 pm

Without spending the time to dig, I guess it depends upon history with this kid, with this team and/or program as a whole. The kid - sorry, 18 yr old - got thrown out for back to back personal fouls. Was this game his first problem, or has he had an anger/assault/behavior issues before on the field? How about the team? I agree cancelling the team's playoff appearances seem excessive, unless there's been behavior issues before during the season and the administration finally said "enough", threw up their hands and cancelled. I don't know. For both the player and the team, depending on information we don't have, could be spot on or could be seen as an over reaction.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:39 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:11 pm
Without spending the time to dig, I guess it depends upon history with this kid, with this team and/or program as a whole. The kid - sorry, 18 yr old - got thrown out for back to back personal fouls. Was this game his first problem, or has he had an anger/assault/behavior issues before on the field? How about the team? I agree cancelling the team's playoff appearances seem excessive, unless there's been behavior issues before during the season and the administration finally said "enough", threw up their hands and cancelled. I don't know. For both the player and the team, depending on information we don't have, could be spot on or could be seen as an over reaction.
Apparently this was not his first issue.
Edinburg went on to win the game, 35-21, without Duron. According to The Monitor, Duron, the team's "star defender," was suspended in the 2019-20 soccer season for an incident similar to the one that took place on Thursday. He is also a standout wrestler, and The Monitor named him All-Area Boys Wrestler of the Year last season.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -playoffs/

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:46 am

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:31 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:43 pm
Probably could have toasted a college career. As a junior his high school career better be done.

It actually has happened. I recalled this event and dug it up. A teenager was pissed at a soccer ref and punched the ref in the head, who later died. It doesn’t take much for a blow to the head to be fatal.

Teen pleads guilty in referee’s death

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:30 pm

Cledus wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:31 pm
RickRund wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:43 pm

It actually has happened. I recalled this event and dug it up. A teenager was pissed at a soccer ref and punched the ref in the head, who later died. It doesn’t take much for a blow to the head to be fatal.

Teen pleads guilty in referee’s death
Had totally forgotten about this...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.