Class C 8 man playoff predictions

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Wrangler
BobcatNation Redshirt

Class C 8 man playoff predictions

Post by Wrangler » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:11 am

The Class C 8 man playoffs begin in 5 hours. Here are my predictions. It is obviously a total crapshoot at this point in time, as most of these teams have not yet crossed over and played anyone outside of their own conference. Your thoughts?

Fort Benton over St Ignatius by 18 : The Longhorns have a lot of weapons if they spread out the ball.

Joliet over Westby/Grenora by 14 : Joliet beat Shelby handily early in the season. I think the real question is, “how tough is the east this year?”

Drummond/Phillipsburg over Belt by 14 : Two extremely well coached teams, each with a superstar. This one could be interesting. Flint Creek might have more depth.

Fairview over Ennis by 36 : Even though Fairview lost a ton of seniors last year, I still think they roll in this one.

Park City over Ekalaka by 24 : Park city beat Joliet a few weeks ago. They were also very good last year. I don’t think they are seriously challenged in this one

Alberton/Superior over Shelby by 16 : This is an interesting matchup. Due to Covid, Shelby hasn’t played in several weeks. They clearly have talent, Alberton/Superior has played very well in what appears to be a powerful Western division.

Scobey over Cascade by 22 : Scobey is loaded with athletes. They have to be the clear favorite to win the class C basketball title this winter. In last year‘s 8-man playoffs, however, Belt travelled to Scobey and beat them handily. Cascade is much improved over the past years, but I think Scobey has too much.

Thompson Falls over Simms by 12 : I think that this game could potentially be close. Simms is big and hard nosed. They might be over matched offensively though.

MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Class C 8 man playoff predictions

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:06 am

Nice predictions. You were right with everyone except for Shelby. My thoughts for this week is that it's going to be very tough for any of the away teams to get a win. Fort Benton has been a favorite all season and Joliet likely isn't quite good enough to pull the upset. Fairview and Thompson Falls have a couple of LOOOOOONG drives ahead of them, and I think Scobey and Drummond/Phillipsburg are better teams anyways. The toss up is likely Shelby at Park City. And Park City is on a roll. The next round is when things will really get dicey.

There's the truth, and then there's what's reported in the papers.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:22 pm

Thanks for posting this. I've been looking here for a bit and its been crickets. There is football happening in Mt this fall but I understand if there isn't much talk. Not many people can watch.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:54 am

I'm from Scobey originally so was interested in how far Thompson Falls is away. Google Mapped it at 612 miles. :shock: That'll take awhile in a bus. I'm biased but Scobey wins this one.

Wrangler
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Wrangler » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:40 pm

The picks are obviously much tougher this week. Last week went straight chalk. Here goes nothing..

Fort Benton continues to roll, beating Joliet by 20.

Drummond/Philipsburg beats Fairview by 12.

Shelby beats Park City on the road in OT.

Thompson Falls travels over 600 miles to knock off Scobey by 8

HiLineCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HiLineCat » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:47 pm

I'll give it a shot:
Fort Benton by 25
Fairview in a close one
Shelby in another close one
I'll take Scobey by 10

And in 6-man
a beat up Big Sandy team travels to Medicine Lake but gets a close win by pounding the ball with Cade Strutz.
WSS over shields Valley by 20.

Wrangler
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Wrangler » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:24 pm

I agree with HiLineCat on the 6-man predictions. Big Sandy has gotten beat up again late in the season, just like last year, but they still have Kade Strutz. Kade is a handful for anyone, especially on a cold day.

WSS hasn’t played many games this year, but has been dominant in those that they have played.

MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:28 pm

Scobey up 16-8 early. Shelby up 8-6 on Park City. If anyone is interested, Scobey-TF is free to watch on the Nemont app or NemontTV.com

MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:59 pm

Scobey won 40-24 in a very physical game with Thompson Falls. The Spartans will host Shelby next week. I haven’t heard how the other two games went.
And in Six Man news, Froid Lake will host the Championship for, I believe, the first time ever against WSS.

Wrangler
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Wrangler » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:19 pm

The semifinal match-ups should be good ones!

Drummond/Philipsburg travels to top ranked Fort Benton. Both teams won their quarterfinal games easily. Fort Benton over Joliet 64 to 14, and Drummond Philipsburg over Fairview 48-6. The Titan’s may have the best Class C player in the state, but the Longhorns are loaded with great athletes. Longhorns win in a hard fought battle.

In the other semifinal matchup, Shelby travels to Scobey. Both teams fought to hard earned quarterfinal wins. Shelby beat Park City on the road, while Scobey beat a tough Thompson Falls team at home. I think Scobey wins in a close one.

MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:35 pm

Scobey is up 14-0, but Shelby is playing hard. One bad snap over the quarterback's head ruined a good drive for the Coyotes.

Froid-Lake is up 16-6 early on WSS in the 6 Man Ship.

MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:36 pm

Scobey is headed to Flint Creek for the 8 Man Title game.
Froid-Lake won their first ever State Football Championship.