College FB “no” ; High School FB “yes” ???

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Wrangler
BobcatNation Redshirt

College FB “no” ; High School FB “yes” ???

Post by Wrangler » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:40 pm

This might be a really dumb question, but why is playing high school football this fall being deemed as doable, but playing college football is not??? If the issue is truly player safety, what are the differences in the safety concerns between high school and college football? I understand that most of the college football opponents are located in other states that may have a higher Covid-19 infection rate, but is that the entire issue?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: College FB “no” ; High School FB “yes” ???

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:23 pm

Hard to say there is any difference. If anything, you would think that college athletes might be stronger and able to deal with the virus better. I am guessing that the lack of any options for high school seniors (and the strong pressure from parents to play) has prevented the high school season from being cancelled. You can’t play high school football in the spring because many of those might participate in a spring sport as well.

On another note, I heard that discussions for high school football included limiting each team to a specific number of players for a game. I heard the number was between 35 and 50 players per team. Even 50 seems like a low number for AA teams.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:20 am

Because there is no rhyme or reason to many of the decisions being made right now, and very few seemed concerned by that. They'll just go along with whatever new rule or guideline is put in place that day.

Having high school sports when you can't even go to school more than 2 days a week doesn't make sense. Having high schools sports deemed safe but college sports deemed unsafe doesn't make sense. Welcoming 15,000+ students and putting them in dorms is considered safe but college football unsafe doesn't make sense. Closing small local businesses but letting big box stores stay wide open doesn't make sense. Requiring masks when entering a restaurant but allowing you to take them off once you're seated doesn't make sense. Allowing bars and restaurants to be open from 8:00am until 12:30am every day...but god forbid open until 2:00am doesn't make sense. Requiring small, runny snot-nose, sneezing, coughing little kids to wear masks in school doesn't make sense.

Long story short, if you're looking to make sense of any of this you'll drive yourself crazy...

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:50 pm

I ran into a sophomore football player tonight who said that he was told the varsity rosters will be limited to 18 for games due to COVID. No way that can be correct. Maybe 18 for offense and 18 for defense? Has anybody heard anything on number of players allowed for games?

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:29 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:50 pm
I ran into a sophomore football player tonight who said that he was told the varsity rosters will be limited to 18 for games due to COVID. No way that can be correct. Maybe 18 for offense and 18 for defense? Has anybody heard anything on number of players allowed for games?
I know in Flathead County they can dress 60 players. If you're not playing, you can't even be there basically. I'm not sure where 18 came from. 6 man football?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:24 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:29 am
Cataholic wrote:
I know in Flathead County they can dress 60 players. If you're not playing, you can't even be there basically. I'm not sure where 18 came from. 6 man football?
Butte High. AA. I wonder if coach was saying 18 per each unit? Leave some for special teams.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:04 pm

Colter floated an interesting idea on last Wednesday's T&N show. What if teams from the most restrictive counties (Yellowstone, Missoula, Gallatin, etc) traveled just outside their county to play games in order to allow more fans (and more players)?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:51 pm

Anybody hear if any local stations will pick up some high school games for TV broadcast? It doesn’t have to be spectacular production and should still draw a good number of viewers. They could even use the radio broadcast and simulcast their announcing.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:46 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:51 pm
Anybody hear if any local stations will pick up some high school games for TV broadcast? It doesn’t have to be spectacular production and should still draw a good number of viewers. They could even use the radio broadcast and simulcast their announcing.
KGVM radio will have the Hawks and Raptor Home games on. The Play-by-Play guy is a fat, bald idiot... But his wife loves him.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:53 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:46 pm
Cataholic wrote:
KGVM radio will have the Hawks and Raptor Home games on. The Play-by-Play guy is a fat, bald idiot... But his wife loves him.
Any potential for video simulcast? Not that I want to see the fat bald guy, but I would love to actually watch some high school football!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:09 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
=D^ =D^

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:17 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:53 pm
SACCAT wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Any potential for video simulcast? Not that I want to see the fat bald guy, but I would love to actually watch some high school football!
That is ran by the MHSA. Pretty sure they have a subscription that let's you watch the games.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:34 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:17 pm
Cataholic wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
That is ran by the MHSA. Pretty sure they have a subscription that let's you watch the games.
I have watched that before but they rarely have commentators. It is usually just video and very basic. Subscription is $10. There is also a significant delay so it is virtually impossible to cue the radio broadcast and the video feed. Would be great if audio and video just worked together on the broadcast. They do that for a Missoula basketball game and it was entertaining.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:59 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:34 pm
SACCAT wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:17 pm
Cataholic wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I have watched that before but they rarely have commentators. It is usually just video and very basic. Subscription is $10. There is also a significant delay so it is virtually impossible to cue the radio broadcast and the video feed. Would be great if audio and video just worked together on the broadcast. They do that for a Missoula basketball game and it was entertaining.
KGVM has offered for them to use our feed, but they have always declined. At the State Championship game, they brought their own crew to the game, and they were put right next to us (they did NOT like some of my jokes)

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:45 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:29 am
Cataholic wrote:
If a 6 man school had 18 kids they'd play 8 man