Highschool rules question

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Highschool rules question

Post by SACCAT » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:27 am

During the game last night, the hawks were punting to Helena High in the first half... A flag was thrown on Helena for holding "while the ball was in the air" the 10 yards was assesed from the line of scrimmage and gave the Hawks the 1st down... I always thought that if the hold happened while the ball was in the air, that the penalty is marked 10 yards from where the Bengals got the punt..... The Helena High coach was LIVID on the sidelines..

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Re: Highschool rules question

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:52 am

SACCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:27 am
During the game last night, the hawks were punting to Helena High in the first half... A flag was thrown on Helena for holding "while the ball was in the air" the 10 yards was assesed from the line of scrimmage and gave the Hawks the 1st down... I always thought that if the hold happened while the ball was in the air, that the penalty is marked 10 yards from where the Bengals got the punt..... The Helena High coach was LIVID on the sidelines..
I didn't see it, I was at home - but that's exactly the way it was described on the radio.
I agree with you. I thought that the change of possession occurred when the ball was kicked.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:46 am

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:52 am
SACCAT wrote:
I didn't see it, I was at home - but that's exactly the way it was described on the radio.
I agree with you. I thought that the change of possession occurred when the ball was kicked.
I have understood that change of possession occurs when the ball crosses the line of scrimmage. Usually defensive holding on a punt happens at the LOS, somebody holding to allow another player to attempt a kick block.

I didnt see this game and have no idea, just offering my input based on a few similar calls I have seen in the past.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:00 am

cats2506 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:46 am
HelenaCat95 wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
I have understood that change of possession occurs when the ball crosses the line of scrimmage. Usually defensive holding on a punt happens at the LOS, somebody holding to allow another player to attempt a kick block.

I didnt see this game and have no idea, just offering my input based on a few similar calls I have seen in the past.
Call happened about 15 yards downfield against the gunner... They said it was while the punt was in the air, so my guess is it was after the line of scrimmage. I was calling the game, so I wasn't looking at the gunner, just the returner.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:07 am

SACCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:00 am
cats2506 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:46 am
HelenaCat95 wrote:
SACCAT wrote:

Call happened about 15 yards downfield against the gunner... They said it was while the punt was in the air, so my guess is it was after the line of scrimmage. I was calling the game, so I wasn't looking at the gunner, just the returner.
Doesn't sound like the right call based on my past experience, maybe they didn't think possession changed until he caught the ball, which I don't believe is right since if no one touches it, then the ball is possessed by the receiving teams.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.