New BZN High school concept

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: New BZN High school concept

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:39 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:12 pm

Aricle from the comicle with info.
https://t.co/ppgjajGuMi
Last edited by Hawks86 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:38 pm

A definite improvement over the trout name. Bozeman Gallatin HS. Does this mean all Hawks fans will have to refer to the alma mater as Bozeman Bozeman HS? At least the public got involved. Now, will it stay involved?

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:43 am

3-7-77 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:38 pm
A definite improvement over the trout name. Bozeman Gallatin HS. Does this mean all Hawks fans will have to refer to the alma mater as Bozeman Bozeman HS? At least the public got involved. Now, will it stay involved?
No, Helena High is just that. Helena Capital is the other. This name is a big improvement, although you could have called it Bozangeles for all I really care.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:42 pm

So have they picked a mascot yet?
I'm still pulling for speed goats AKA prong horns.
Big horns has a good ring to it too.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:02 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:42 pm
I would love cutthroats. Pirates and fish mascots. Arrgh.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:31 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
I saw Mountaineers somewhere. Not sure if that was just what somebody was hoping for or if that's a done deal.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:49 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:31 am
Joe Bobcat wrote:
I saw Mountaineers somewhere. Not sure if that was just what somebody was hoping for or if that's a done deal.
Not done yet...Voting for mascot and colors goes until March 29th...Mountaineers seems to be the most popular, but bird names are big in Bozeman

Sacajawea Middle School--Falcons
CJMS--Eagles
BHS--Hawks

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:24 pm

West Virginia Mountaineers, and Appalachian State Mountaineers come to mind. Mountaineers, as in "Deliverance"? Billy Redden, the kid who played the savant banjo picking teen is my favorite image. The tune to the school song would be obvious, and no words to learn. =D^

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:07 pm

Can't steal it from the Highwood Mountaineers.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:55 pm

How could I have forgotten Highwood?!!! They have to co-op with Geraldine just to field teams, currently in football, basketball, and volleyball(called the Rivals, so Mountaineers has one step out the door already). Small and getting smaller. One or the other will disappear in the near future(2019-20 projected HS enrollment is 15-16 at Geraldine, 30 at Highwood). Absorbed by Fort Benton(70 students)who joined them in the Class C ranks recently? All three in Chouteau County. If economics, and common sense, trumps politics, yes.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:27 am

When the public originally sent in suggestions, six mascot ideas were submitted 50 times or more, and those are on the list of 24 going in the student poll:

1. Cougars
2. Mountaineers
3. Rams
4. Raptors
5. Trout
6. Wolverines

The Transition Committee added another 18 mascot ideas:

7. Anglers
8. Avalanche
9. Badgers
10. Blizzard
11. Coyotes
12. Elk
13. Explorers
14. Geysers
15. Highlanders
16. Lightning
17. Mountain Goats
18. Osprey
19. Raptors (bird logo)
20. Raptors (dinosaur logo)
21. Ravens
22. Storm
23. Timberwolves
24. Yetis
When it came to colors, the Transition Committee narrowed the public’s 622 suggestions to a list of 11:

1. Black and light blue
2. Black and royal blue
3. Black and silver
4. Black and white
5. Royal blue and orange
6. Navy blue and orange
7. Light blue and purple
8. Royal blue and purple
9. Royal blue and red
10. Navy blue and red
11. Orange and gray
https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/n ... n=bozchron

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:45 pm

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:24 am

Well, they are making an apparent transparent attempt at democracy in action, unlike that of naming the school. Is it 'live and learn', or 'politics as usual'? Mountaineers, Osprey, Rams, Timberwolves, and Raptors(dinosaurs). Not wanting to use already claimed names, or like names, rules out Timberwolves(too like Glacier HS), Osprey(Missoula), Rams(Billings Central and Missoula Loyola, among others). I can see where polling the fifth graders could have resulted in dinosaur Raptors. :lol: :lol: :lol: Eleven year olds are going to choose the mascot for future 14-18 year olds. I don't think so. [-X

That leaves Mountaineers(yet, too political???). Does the mascot look like Jim Bridger/Liver Eating Johnson(whatever they really looked like, or maybe just go with the likeness of Robert Redford), the Beverley Hillbillies, the savant banjo picker and family, the buckskin clad musket clutching mascot of West Virginia University(this will piss off the anti-gun left), or some yet to be determined artists rendering of a Mountaineer? I think Buddy Ebsen's 'Jed' character, 'poor Mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,' would be pleasing to all. :lol:

If you look at the process, the 'final five' choices 'lead' to a consensus candidate. Someone is steering this process, but whom? The process is set, and Bozemanites will have to live with the final outcome.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:52 am

The committee ended up picking two student favorites and two staff favorites, and one that was on both lists.
The next step is that the community and students who will attend the new school will have the chance to vote on their favorites in one-week online polls starting Thursday or Friday.

The community poll will be posted on the Bozeman School District’s website’s homepage (www.bsd7.org).
Definition of mountaineer
1 : a native or inhabitant of a mountainous region
2 : a person who climbs mountains for sport

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:29 pm

Sort of strange. The survey did not include a group for graduates of Bozeman (Senior) High. It specifically defines Rams as a male mountain sheep. What are the girls teams going to be called? The Lady Rams? That's sort of oxymoronic. And I’m not sure when someone says Raptors that dinosaurs are the first thing to mind. I tend to think of the Bridger Mountains raptor migration, and the type of raptors of which a Hawk is one. That sort of leaves Mountaineers which is certainly representative of the area, and equally includes Girls' and Boys' teams, but could be a mouthful for play-by-play. Who would have thought picking a mascot would be so hard. Are any of the colors a match for Mountaineers? I'd like to see some green for mountains. These are just my random thoughts as I tried to respond to the survey. Anyone else scratching their head?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:40 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:29 pm
Sort of strange. The survey did not include a group for graduates of Bozeman (Senior) High. It specifically defines Rams as a male mountain sheep. What are the girls teams going to be called? The Lady Rams? That's sort of oxymoronic. And I’m not sure when someone says Raptors that dinosaurs are the first thing to mind. I tend to think of the Bridger Mountains raptor migration, and the type of raptors of which a Hawk is one. That sort of leaves Mountaineers which is certainly representative of the area, and equally includes Girls' and Boys' teams, but could be a mouthful for play-by-play. Who would have thought picking a mascot would be so hard. Are any of the colors a match for Mountaineers? I'd like to see some green for mountains. These are just my random thoughts as I tried to respond to the survey. Anyone else scratching their head?
Mountaineers is not as hard to say as Banana Slugs.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Dude, you're over-thinking it.
And if it's Rams, I promise they won't be the first school with that mascot.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:50 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:21 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Dude, you're over-thinking it.
And if it's Rams, I promise they won't be the first school with that mascot.
:lol:

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:54 pm

allcat wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:40 pm
Mountaineers is not as hard to say as Banana Slugs.
Quite true :D