New BZN High school concept

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: New BZN High school concept

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:26 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:26 pm
With all due respect, are people really that up in arms about this?

My kids go to Bozeman High and my youngest will as well. But even if they didn't I'm trying to think what it would take for me to care what the name of their high school is?

I agree with many that I didn't like the name. If I had a vote I certainly wouldn't have picked Westslope. It's weird. But some people actually seem upset about this?

Seems like we have bigger fish to fry even right here in our little community. Guess this is another one of those first-world problems we unfortunately have to endure.
Most just don't like the name. Interesting(at least here)that the person who is the most concerned doesn't live in Bozeman and is a griz fan.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:08 pm

ilovethecats wrote:

My kids go to Bozeman High and my youngest will as well. But even if they didn't I'm trying to think what it would take for me to care what the name of their high school is?

I agree with many that I didn't like the name. If I had a vote I certainly wouldn't have picked Westslope. It's weird. But some people actually seem upset about this?
Seems like we have bigger fish to fry even right here in our little community
. Guess this is another one of those first-world problems we unfortunately have to endure.
There may be bigger fish to fry in your not so little community, but a fried Westslope Cutthroat sure would taste good right now (with a Trout Slayer Ale of course) :yes:

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:26 pm

Hawks86, what the hell does not living in Bozeman and being a Griz fan have to do with the issue? I have stated both of these points. Nothing secret. What does that have to do with liking or disliking a name like Westslope, or the process by which it was obtained. Simply trying to get the people of the town INVOLVED with this process. If 75-80% of whatever the given population responded negatively to the name, and the school district decided to 'revisit' the name, all within 48 hours, something is FUBAR. The people of Bozeman elected this school board, the board, in turn, hired the Superintendent(if not this group of trustees, then others). Make them accountable.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:27 pm

ilovethecats wrote:

Seems like we have bigger fish to fry even right here in our little community. Guess this is another one of those first-world problems we unfortunately have to endure.
I agree, but the name is too cute for me. But if they name it bozangeles high, l would not end up caring.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:52 am

I think it's a pretty dumb name, but I'm sure we'd get used to it pretty quickly. I'm with allcat, it's just somebody trying to get cute...like somebody naming their kid something really unique. That's all fine until the kid has to explain it the rest of their life. You shouldn't have to explain the name of your high school. Name it after your town, your county, or a famous person that EVERYBODY knows and respects (yeah I know that person doesn't exist anymore) and be done with it. Don't try and be too creative because kids will be explaining the name for decades.

I'm sure the committee will do something different this time around. There is plenty more community interest now, so there will be some good ideas out there.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:16 pm

I’d go with the Hyalite High Fightin’ Yeti

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:37 pm

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:04 am

Before the meeting, the Superintendent said, "...a school name should have broad appeal to the community at large, and the Westslope name does not(have that appeal)…" So the Board tells the 'Gang of 23' to ADD two more names to the three previous names(including the hated Westslope)for Board reconsideration. Add on-line suggestions by 'the community at large,' for a yet undetermined period, and then the Board will let you subjects, I mean voters, know what the new name will be. Democracy in action, right? Surprised? No. I see there is a school board election and bond issue coming up soon. Vote. Your school district, your decisions, you live with them. Your prior votes, or lack thereof, got you this School Board. :roll:

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:49 am

What word most often comes after Bozeman in a historical or geolocation sense? Bozeman Trail High.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:23 pm

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:58 pm

Madison And Gallatin Area High School

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now, THAT was good! Subtle, dry, sarcastic. Well done! =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:18 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:49 am
What word most often comes after Bozeman in a historical or geolocation sense? Bozeman Trail High.
Did that name make the original list? That one would have been a good one. A couple of mascot names that would never fly with the faint of heart types would be Vigilantes or Red Cloud's :-#

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:26 am

arvcat2 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:18 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:49 am
Did that name make the original list? That one would have been a good one. A couple of mascot names that would never fly with the faint of heart types would be Vigilantes or Red Cloud's :-#
Thanks. It did not. I never thought of it until all the kerfuffle started. I did submit it then, but they never looked beyond the original list. The mascots would have several choices — Scouts (see OP), Pioneers, etc. Colors of forest green, prairie tan, and white accent for snow!

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:43 am

I really like Bridger High School. Could've been the Mountainmen, Trappers, Explorers, etc.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:45 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:43 am
I really like Bridger High School. Could've been the Mountainmen, Trappers, Explorers, etc.
There's already a Bridger High School in Montana. They are the Scouts.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:48 am

coachouert wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:45 am
LTown Cat wrote:
I know but it's so fitting with the Bridgers in the backdrop. Seems like it would've been perfect.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:23 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:48 am
coachouert wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
I know but it's so fitting with the Bridgers in the backdrop. Seems like it would've been perfect.
Yeah-you gotta be careful with these things. Missoula has a Big Sky High School-so three or four decades later with they built a high school in the community of Big Sky they had to name it Lone Peak High School. :shrug:

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:29 pm

does the school have a flat roof? :-^

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:00 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:48 am
coachouert wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
It would have been, LTown Cat, with one addition: make it 'Jim Bridger High School' and its perfect. That was his name. Wasn't just 'Bridger.'
Not named for a * town SW of Billings, as Bridger HS is, with Scouts, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Eagle Scouts, or Girl Scouts as its mascot. JBHS would be the second AA high school in MT named directly for the man, not the town, after CM Russell HS. CMR, is named after one of the most famous cowboy artists of all time, and GF resident. They didn't name it Russell HS because of Bertrand Russell, Jack Russell Terriers, or Russell, Montana(which never existed). No, they named if after Charles Marion Russell, or as he signed his paintings, CM Russell.
Bozeman has a history, all you have to do is research it a little bit. People need to do a little reading, with "The Bloody Bozeman" at the top of the list. There is no one even close to Jim Bridger as the areas most famous figure. He was here before the mountains and peaks(which figure so dominant in the Boards/Transition Committees choices) were named, let alone any settlers(transplants, in todays terminology).
This is all academic, as the Board has already made up its 'collective' mind. They could care less what anybody else thinks. If they did, they sure wouldn't have come up with 'Westslope.'