New BZN High school concept

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: New BZN High school concept

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:03 pm

allcat wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:30 pm
Okay, what is the storm castle name about?
https://helenair.com/news/state-and-reg ... b8abb.html

I don't know when Castle Rock (that's what I've always known it as) became Storm Castle Peak-maybe it's always been?

http://www.outsidebozeman.com/places/tr ... peak-trail

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:10 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:57 pm
The final contenders are Bozeman Spanish Peaks High School, Bozeman Storm Castle High School and Bozeman Westslope High School.
I knew it, that Transition Committee f'd it up. Where did they get these people? :roll: Now, ya gotta live with it.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:21 pm

The Storm Castle Thunder...or The Storm Castle Lightning. That Imagine Dragons song could be the school song.
The Westslope Cutthroats. (If they pick Westslope it better not be anything but Cutthroats!)
The Spanish Peaks Mountaineers.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:08 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:21 pm
The Storm Castle Thunder...or The Storm Castle Lightning. That Imagine Dragons song could be the school song.
The Westslope Cutthroats. (If they pick Westslope it better not be anything but Cutthroats!)
The Spanish Peaks Mountaineers.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:08 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:04 pm
Gallatin High Cutthroats. It's better than Muskrats. Transplants would confuse people unless you change it to "Charmin raised transplants"..... :-^
Bump. well I was close...so how about

"Westslope Charmin raised Cutthroats"

:coffee:

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:55 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:08 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Gallatin High Cutthroats. It's better than Muskrats. Transplants would confuse people unless you change it to "Charmin raised transplants"..... :-^

Westslope Transplants. In direct competition with the native Yellowstone Cutthroats. Seems like what the transplants would do anyway. How about Westslope Walleyes? The transplants have determined they are not native to Montana.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:55 pm

Two questions for those who attended the 'Great and Powerful School Board of bOZeman.'
Westslope of the Rockies? About 80 miles off.
Westslope cutthroat, the fish? Makes at least some sense. The mascot should be settled by now, as well as the colors.
On a more serious note, you really need to look at who is elected to your school boards, and legislature. This is just a symptom of the disease. :shock:

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:04 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:55 pm
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:

Westslope Transplants. In direct competition with the native Yellowstone Cutthroats. Seems like what the transplants would do anyway. How about Westslope Walleyes? The transplants have determined they are not native to Montana.
You ever move anywhere? Or have you lived your whole life in the same place? Just curious, since you seem so vehemently opposed to people deciding to move in search of a better life. :roll: ](*,)

GO CATS GO!!!

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:52 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:04 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:55 pm
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:

You ever move anywhere? Or have you lived your whole life in the same place? Just curious, since you seem so vehemently opposed to people deciding to move in search of a better life. :roll: ](*,)
A better life for them, in turn, a worse life for those they settle around. From Darby to Glacier Park over the last 40 years, Missoula especially. Loaded with Californians or some other transplants. They bring their attitudes and way of life with them. Hang on Gallatin Valley, life as you knew it is over. "You can take the transplant out of California, but you can't take the Californian out of the transplant." :-k

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:14 pm

The IRS is able to report migration trends based on filed tax return addresses over consecutive years. With this reporting, we are able to get a picture of where people are moving to Bozeman from. Montana is in a clear #1 spot with 81% of people relocating to the Gallatin Valley from Yellowstone, Park, Missoula and a number of other counties. California is in the #2 spot, Washington at #3, Arizona at #4 and Utah at #5.
https://bozemanrealestate.group/resourc ... zeman-from

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:39 pm

Would be interesting to see how long these 'Montana' transplants have lived in Montana before relocating to the Gallatin Valley. Are they natives, like the cutthroat, or just stopping off here, or there. Missoula would be prime example, getting out of their newest Last Best Place. I think it's kind of funny, and sad, that the toilet that is now Missoula, is coming east to the Gallatin Valley. It's the mindset they bring with them that is the problem. Living someplace in Montana for a couple years doesn't make them a Montanan, any more than buying a cowboy hat and boots makes you a cowboy. All hat, no cattle.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:53 pm

3-7-77 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:39 pm
Would be interesting to see how long these 'Montana' transplants have lived in Montana before relocating to the Gallatin Valley. Are they natives, like the cutthroat, or just stopping off here, or there. Missoula would be prime example, getting out of their newest Last Best Place. I think it's kind of funny, and sad, that the toilet that is now Missoula, is coming east to the Gallatin Valley. It's the mindset they bring with them that is the problem. Living someplace in Montana for a couple years doesn't make them a Montanan, any more than buying a cowboy hat and boots makes you a cowboy. All hat, no cattle.
What kind of mindset are you talking about exactly? Would it be like the extremely closed-off, unfriendly, unwelcoming xenophobic attitude you’re displaying right now? If Montana is such a great place (and I think it is too, I’m a native Montanan), then how can you be so surprised that other people may also think it’s a pretty cool place and want to move there to seek out a better life? Should they not be allowed just because their parents didn’t happen to live in Montana, or god forbid they had to go work in another state in order to build enough personal wealth do they could afford to take the hit to their salary when they move to Montana? Instead of focusing on all the “negative” things people being to Montana (and I see the same attitude here in Idaho), try focusing on the fact that they can also bring a lot of really good things too.

GO CATS GO!!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:46 pm

Also, the superintendent has indicated that the school district is going to revisit the naming of the new Bozeman High School. It was announced earlier this week that Bozeman Westslope would be the new name. Immediate opposition to the new name (see and take our poll by clicking here) has now caused the district to possibly reconsider their choice.
A special meeting is being called to re-visit the issue, possibly as early as this Monday. We will let you know when a definitive date and time is announced.
http://xlcountry.com/a-note-from-the-bo ... GkzGhhsblw

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:24 pm

I think they are going to regret Westslope (or West anything) when the insane growth rate keeps going to the west and the third high school is further west still.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:04 pm

This is for consideration by the electorate of the School District, or more specifically, anyone who really cares what Bozeman #2 is called. I'm not from and do not live in the Bozeman area. If I was, I would have been active in this process. The people of this district have been let down badly by this Board and Administration. Here are the questions I had:
Who was responsible for appointing this "Transition Committee?"
Who are the members of the School Board, and what is their background?(a little late to ask this question)?
What kind of publicity preceded this selection process?
How much time for input was allotted before the 'selection process?'
How many votes out of the total eligible electorate actually voted for each School Board member?

There have been three other school names selected over the past 40 years, Big Sky HS, Skyview HS, and Glacier HS. The most recent name, Westslope HS has set a new low for effort. I'm glad there will be an 'effort' to change the name to something which Bozeman can be proud.

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:12 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:24 pm
I think they are going to regret Westslope (or West anything) when the insane growth rate keeps going to the west and the third high school is further west still.
My thoughts too when I heard the announcement. Further, from a topographic viewpoint, Bozeman, and the exact location of the new high school, is not on the westslope of anything. Glad to hear the school board is feeling the heat and are reconsidering the name.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:54 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:12 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:24 pm
My thoughts too when I heard the announcement. Further, from a topographic viewpoint, Bozeman, and the exact location of the new high school, is not on the westslope of anything. Glad to hear the school board is feeling the heat and are reconsidering the name.
I fully agree, this is a completely stupid name. Actually kind of difficult to roll off the tongue. There are so many other things that make so much more sense and sound better. I hope wiser heads prevail and they fix this before it's too late.

GO CATS GO!!!

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:30 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:14 pm
The IRS is able to report migration trends based on filed tax return addresses over consecutive years. With this reporting, we are able to get a picture of where people are moving to Bozeman from. Montana is in a clear #1 spot with 81% of people relocating to the Gallatin Valley from Yellowstone, Park, Missoula and a number of other counties. California is in the #2 spot, Washington at #3, Arizona at #4 and Utah at #5.
https://bozemanrealestate.group/resourc ... zeman-from
Do they take into consideration that the "transplants" from Yellowstone, Park and other counties could be students @ MSU? I know my youngest son has his address in Bozeman.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:40 pm

When ever they announce the next board meeting, time, and place, flood them out with bodies. Bodies pissed off at their incompetence, and let them know it. If people had gotten involved before this thing blew up, it would never have gotten to this point. Elections have consequences. My guess is 1-2% of eligible voters elected these nimnoes to the board. You get the government you deserve.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:26 pm

With all due respect, are people really that up in arms about this?

My kids go to Bozeman High and my youngest will as well. But even if they didn't I'm trying to think what it would take for me to care what the name of their high school is?

I agree with many that I didn't like the name. If I had a vote I certainly wouldn't have picked Westslope. It's weird. But some people actually seem upset about this?

Seems like we have bigger fish to fry even right here in our little community. Guess this is another one of those first-world problems we unfortunately have to endure.