2017 Class A Playoffs (Quarterfinals)

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

2017 Class A Playoffs (Quarterfinals)

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:35 am

Playoff Bracket: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... cket-A.pdf

Columbia Falls (#1 Northwest) at Sidney (#1 East)

Columbia Falls Key Players - QB/SS Austin Green (Sr.), WR/FS Ben Windauer (Sr.), FB/DL Logan Kolodejchuk (Sr.), RB/LB Colten McPhee (Jr.), OL/DL Gage Karlin (Jr.), LB Tanner Gove (Jr.)

Sidney Key Players – RB/LB Alec Lovegren (Sr.), QB/S Jace Johnson (Sr.), RB/LB Sawyor Thogersen (Sr.), OL/DL Max Peters (Sr.), OL/DL Carter Hughes (Jr.), TE/DL Layne Swigart (Sr.)

Prediction:

Billings Central (#2 East) at Hamilton (#1 Southwest)

Billings Central Key Players – RB/LB Ben Voss (Sr.), ATH Chrishon Dixon (Jr.), OL/DL Marcus Wehr (Jr.), LB Brennen Bruce (Jr.), OL/DL Maverick Roberts (Jr.), QB/S Joe Byorth (Jr.)

Hamilton Key Players – WR/DB Ty Chouinard (Sr.), RB Bridger Bauder (Sr.), QB/S Carson Rostad (So.), WR/DB Camron Rothie (Jr.), OL Zach Fussell (Sr.), LB Michael Golden (Jr.)

Prediction:
Last edited by VimSince03 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2017 Class A Playoffs (Quarterfinals)

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:53 pm

Dillon to Sidney = 523 miles
Miles City to Columbia Falls = 529 miles
Glendive to Hamilton = 609 miles
Frenchtown to Billings Central = 358 miles

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:01 pm

Vim, as always thanks for the nice updates. Considering the vast distances I hope everyone drives part way tomorrow. It is looking like winter out there right now!

Except for a Glendive win I won't be shocked by any outcome in the other games. Yet my predictions are similar to yours but with one difference;

Dillon over Sidney
Miles City over Columbia Falls
Hamilton over Glendive
Billings Central over Frenchtown

I'm taking Miles City to win an upset for two reasons.
1. They opened their season with two close losses to eventual playoff teams (Blgs Central 14-21, & Laurel 30-34). Since then they have gelled and have been playing extremely well. Their shutout of Sidney was most impressive.
2. Columbia Falls also opened their season with two tough opponents, a close win over Hamilton (23-20) and close loss to Dillon (14-16). However, following that Sept. 8th Dillon game they had a bye week, then played five easy opponents whose combined records are 12-31. Consequently it has been two full months since the Wildcats have played a competitive team. They are still the favorite and they are playing at home. None the less, I think this fluke of scheduling is going to cost them on Saturday when they face their first decent opponent since Sept 8th.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:07 am

NorthernPlains wrote:Vim, as always thanks for the nice updates. Considering the vast distances I hope everyone drives part way tomorrow. It is looking like winter out there right now!

Except for a Glendive win I won't be shocked by any outcome in the other games. Yet my predictions are similar to yours but with one difference;

Dillon over Sidney
Hamilton over Glendive

1. They opened their season with two close losses to eventual playoff teams (Blgs Central 14-21, & Laurel 30-34). Since then they have gelled and have been playing extremely well. Their shutout of Sidney was most impressive.
2. Columbia Falls also opened their season with two tough opponents, a close win over Hamilton (23-20) and close loss to Dillon (14-16). However, following that Sept. 8th Dillon game they had a bye week, then played five easy opponents whose combined records are 12-31. Consequently it has been two full months since the Wildcats have played a competitive team. They are still the favorite and they are playing at home. None the less, I think this fluke of scheduling is going to cost them on Saturday when they face their first decent opponent since Sept 8th.
Definitely a factor to consider. I'm well aware of it. But my prediction (and personal opinion) is that the "lack of playing a competitive team" before coming into a game sorts itself out in the first quarter. If you are a good team, you will eventually adapt to competition level. I do think Miles City will give them a good game but I think Columbia Falls wins the second half en route to victory.

grizband
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by grizband » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:25 am

First final score for the Class "A" Quarterfinals:

Billings Central 45
Frenchtown 10

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:53 pm

NorthernPlains wrote:Vim, as always thanks for the nice updates. Considering the vast distances I hope everyone drives part way tomorrow. It is looking like winter out there right now!

Dillon over Sidney
Hamilton over Glendive

Boy was I wrong on Columbia Falls. A swing... and a miss... by a mile. They simply crushed the MC Cowboys and showed they are contenders. My apologies to any offended Wildcat fans out there.

Hamilton & Billings Central wins both went about as expected. Dillon losing their QB was a huge hit to their chances of winning. Yet more important to the outcome, it appears Sidney got their running game back in action overwhelming Dillon's defense. This sets up two promising games this weekend for the Class A semi-finals. Also sets up two more lengthy road trips (apx. 370 & 540 miles one way) for teams & fans. Everyone drive safe!

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:19 pm

I was at the Central-Frenchtown game. Have we offered Voss at all? That kid is a grinding stud. Frenchtown got a little momentum going in the 2nd quarter with a FG, recovered an onside kick and then a quick touchdown. Central responded with an 80 yard screen to Voss for a TD and that pretty much ended their run. Frenchtown couldn't do anything on offense in the second half.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell