2016 Class A Playoffs (Semifinals)

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

2016 Class A Playoffs (Semifinals)

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:53 pm

Playoff Bracket: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... cket-A.pdf

Top-side of Bracket

Columbia Falls at Belgrade - 1:00 PM, Saturday, 11/12

Columbia Falls Key Players: QB Dakota Bridwell, WR/MLB Trevor Hoerner, WR/CB Sean Miller, WR/OLB Braxton Reiten, FB/DE Logan Kolodejchuck, TE/OLB Steven DeCamp, OL/DE Jared Reynolds, OG/DT Zak Kerlin, OT/DE Kade Johnstone, OT Zach Baker (missed senior season due to injury but may be coming back for playoffs)

Belgrade Key Players: RB/LB Hayden Van Winkle, WR/DB Trey Mounts, ATH Jemal Williams, OL/MLB William Blewitt, WR/DB Easton Page, QB/FS Zach Spady, OL/DE Kyler Rogers, OL/DT Dalton Roscoe

Class A had four really good football games in the quarterfinals of the 2016 playoffs. Hamilton and Belgrade squared off on the top of the bracket and it was decided by a game-winning field goal. Backup freshman kicker John Mears booted a 29-yard field goal with eight seconds left to give the Panthers a 38-35 victory. The game started with an 84-yard interception return for a touchdown by Panther DB Trey Mounts. Hamilton responded with back to back Manny Rivera touchdown runs to give the Broncs a 14-7 lead going into the 2nd quarter. Belgrade owned the quarter with two touchdown passes from Zach Spady to Jemal Williams and Mounts to give the Panthers a 21-14 lead at halftime. However, Spady went down with a season-ending injury in the 2nd quarter so Jemal Williams took over signal-caller duties for he remainder of the afternoon. Williams is the wildcat/option QB for Belgrade and that is basically what they ran the entire second half. It produced two 3rd quarter touchdowns which gave Belgrade a 35-14 lead entering the 4th. In the wild final stanza, Hamilton made a tremendous comeback as freshman QB Carson Rostad hit Ty Chouinard and Camron Rothie for scores and Rivera ran in a touchdown with Rothie catching the extra point to make it 35-all with 1:16 remaining. But Williams and Co. got Mears within his kicking range and kicked the Panthers into the semis. Hamilton outgained the Panthers, 405-321. Belgrade's semifinal opponent will be the Columbia Falls Wildcats who took down the one-loss Sidney Eagles, 35-20, last Saturday. Many were calling this game a toss-up as Sidney's secondary was possibly the stiffest test the Wildcats high-flying passing attack had seen all season. Sidney looked like the real deal early, building a 12-0 1st quarter lead as QB Dawson McGlothlin threw touchdown passes to WR Trace Jones and RB Alec Lovegren. In the next two quarters, Columbia Falls woke up on both sides of the ball. In the 2nd, QB Dakota Bridwell threw a 22-yard touchdown pass to his favorite target Braxton Reiten and RB Wyatt Green threw a touchdown pass to WR Trey Gates in a bit of trickery that gave CF a 14-12 halftime advantage. In the 3rd, Bridwell and Green both ran in scores as the Wildcats scored 28 unanswered points. Sidney finally punched back in the 4th as McGlothlin threw his 3rd touchdown pass of the night to Griz commit Michael McGinnis, cutting the lead to 28-20. But Bridwell tossed his second touchdown pass to Reiten to ice the game and move the Wildcats into the semifinals. Columbia Falls' loss to Polson seems like a distant memory now and they get a Belgrade squad who is without their starting QB. The Panthers are confident in Jemal Williams (he can throw the ball with confidence) but it will limit their offense as he isn't as good of an all-around QB as Zach Spady. Belgrade does have a good ground game when operating out of the Wildcat with Williams and Van Winkle and it will be a focal point if they want to beat Columbia Falls. The Wildcats thrive on passing the ball, explosive plays, and getting on teams early. If Belgrade can control the clock and force a few turnovers, they have a shot. They will also need to score when the opportunities presents themselves and not squander any of them. If Columbia Falls finds success on offense, Belgrade will not be built to keep up. Plain and simple. I picked Columbia Falls to make the championship game and I see no reason to change that pick. Prediction: Columbia Falls wins 42-20.

Bottom-side of Bracket

Dillon at Billings Central - 7:00 PM, Friday, 11/11 (Rocky Mountain College)

Billings Central Key Players: WR/OLB Peyton Hanser, RB Ben Voss, TE Johnny Elliot, QB Jet Campbell, RB Evan Barthel, RB Brayden Huppert, FB/LB Noah Smelser, WR/DB Christian Dixon, OL/DE Wyatt Roe, WR/SS Shay Dantic, OG/DT Cade Overstreet, WR/FS Josh Kraft

Dillon Key Players: QB/SS Troy Anndersen, RB/MLB R.J. Fitzgerald, OT/DE Eric James, OL/MLB Todd Nordahl, WR/DB Carson Hritsco, WR/DB Gabe Hupp, RB/OLB Tory Walker, OL/DT Cordell McGinley, RB/LB Graden Greenslade

Billings Central and Polson also went down to the wire with the Rams winning 35-34 in the tightest game of the quarterfinals. I said in the preview to this one that if the Rams established a ground game and if BC shut down Polson WR/TE Matt Rensvold, the Rams would win easily. Well, the Rams rushed for 403 yards as the RB trio of Evan Barthel, Ben Voss, and Brayden Huppert combined for 19 carries, 299 yards, and three rushing touchdowns. However, I also said Polson's other receivers would have to step up like they did against Columbia Falls if Polson wanted a shot and they did just that. Rensvold was held out of the endzone but WR's Haden Smith and Cadis Chowning each caught touchdowns from star QB Tanner Wilson, who also had three rushing touchdowns and 383 yards of total offense (188 rushing/195 passing). The game was close from start to finish as Polson held a 22-14 halftime advantage. BC won the 3rd quarter with two touchdown runs from Voss and Barthel while Polson got the touchdown catch from Chowning to tie the game at 28-all entering the final period. RB Duncan Kraft scored on a 53-yard scamper to break the tie in the 4th and take a 35-28 lead. But Wilson would not be denied and scored his final touchdown to make it 35-34. Tragedy struck on the next play as the Pirates missed the ensuing PAT kick. The Rams snuck out of Polson with a victory and earned a re-match with rival Dillon, as they beat Laurel 22-7 last Saturday. The Locomotives did everything they could to run the ball and keep Troy Andersen off the field on offense because of his big-play ability. But Troy isn't one of the best players in the state for nothing and he broke threw for three scores. However, his biggest two plays came in the second quarter. Dillon had just taken an 8-7 lead but Laurel RB Isaiah Renner broke off a 57-yard gain down to the Dillon 12. He would've scored easily but Andersen caught him from behind. On the next play, Andersen recovered a Laurel fumble and the Locomotive offense couldn't score the rest of the game. Laurel QB Jackson Pollock started the scoring with a 15-yard run on a nice 66-yard drive in the first quarter. Though Laurel lost, they did a great job against arguably the toughest team in the state on both sides of the ball. They ran hard and got 168 yards rushing combined from Renner and RB Jared Craig. Dillon got 110 yards rushing from Andersen and 86 more from RB R.J. Fitzgerald. Neither team could pass the ball as Pollock had 29 yards passing while Andersen had 44 yards and one interception threw the air. Billings Central and Dillon has been a heated rivalry for a long time and the semifinal matchup will be a re-match of regular season game that saw Dillon winning 20-16. In that game, Dillon felt they left points on the board due to turnovers and redzone inefficiency while Central thought they moved the ball better than anyone against Dillon's defense. It's going to be a wild game and everyone should do themselves a favor and go watch it. Prediction: Dillon wins 24-21.
Last edited by VimSince03 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

kmax
Site Admin

Re: 2016 Class A Playoffs (Semifinals)

Post by kmax » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:12 am

Great write ups as usual Vim and think you are pretty right on about both from what I have seen. Seeing the Dillon/Billings Central game is on Friday night really makes me jealous that the CF/Belgrade couldn't have been moved to Friday or Saturday night. Hate that I have to choose between the last home Cat game and the playoff game.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:45 pm

Thanks Vim. Appreciate you putting the time into these write ups each week! =D^

I too suspect Columbia Falls will be hosting the Championship next week. So far nobody has been able to shut down their offense (even in their sole loss they put up 27 points). On the other side the Belgrade offense is handicapped with the loss of their QB. In the end it's likely this hinders any chance the Panthers had to keep up with C. Falls scoring. It could be a wide margin in the end. None the less, I know Belgrade will play very physical and make C. Falls earn every bit of it.

Over in Billings there is no doubt it will be another hard hitting game. This is the ninth time in the past ten years these two have met in the playoffs (4 times in the Championship, 3 in the Semi, and 2 in the quarters). In addition, they play a non-conference game early in the season each year. So the coaches won't spend much time viewing film. Each knows what the other does and what's needed to win. The biggest risk I see is that the winner is so beat up they're at a disadvantage in next week's Championship. Regardless, these are two very solid teams and I wouldn't crown C. Falls in advance. This should be a great football game and I'm going with Billings Central to come out with a close win in this year's rematch.

FYI, this season Billings Central has played all home games on the Rocky Mt College field instead of over at Daylis stadium. Saturday afternoon Rocky has a home game. This is why they had to move the Dillon/Central playoff game to a Friday night 7 pm kickoff. If you're in Billings head to Rocky if you'd like to catch a great game.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:51 pm

NorthernPlains wrote:Thanks Vim. Appreciate you putting the time into these write ups each week! =D^

I too suspect Columbia Falls will be hosting the Championship next week. So far nobody has been able to shut down their offense (even in their sole loss they put up 27 points). On the other side the Belgrade offense is handicapped with the loss of their QB. In the end it's likely this hinders any chance the Panthers had to keep up with C. Falls scoring. It could be a wide margin in the end. None the less, I know Belgrade will play very physical and make C. Falls earn every bit of it.

Over in Billings there is no doubt it will be another hard hitting game. This is the ninth time in the past ten years these two have met in the playoffs (4 times in the Championship, 3 in the Semi, and 2 in the quarters). In addition, they play a non-conference game early in the season each year. So the coaches won't spend much time viewing film. Each knows what the other does and what's needed to win. The biggest risk I see is that the winner is so beat up they're at a disadvantage in next week's Championship. Regardless, these are two very solid teams and I wouldn't crown C. Falls in advance. This should be a great football game and I'm going with Billings Central to come out with a close win in this year's rematch.

FYI, this season Billings Central has played all home games on the Rocky Mt College field instead of over at Daylis stadium. Saturday afternoon Rocky has a home game. This is why they had to move the Dillon/Central playoff game to a Friday night 7 pm kickoff. If you're in Billings head to Rocky if you'd like to catch a great game.
Northern Plains,

Can I get an explanation why Billings Central gets to host this game? I seem to be totally confused with everything Class A does with seeding and hosting sites.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:08 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
NorthernPlains wrote:Thanks Vim. Appreciate you putting the time into these write ups each week! =D^

Northern Plains,

Can I get an explanation why Billings Central gets to host this game? I seem to be totally confused with everything Class A does with seeding and hosting sites.
Ditto--I'd love to hear it as well.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:28 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Northern Plains,

In A the hosting for Semifinals and Finals is predetermined and rotates through the divisions. In the first two rounds when it is guaranteed that there is a higher/lower seed matchup you have them hosting. The 2 seeds host the wildcards in the first round and the 1 seeds host the winners of the first round. In the semifinals and the finals though when a higher/lower is not guaranteed then A uses the predetermined hosts. For this year, the Central A side of the bracket has hosting for semifinal and final, for the bottom side of the bracket the NorthWest has hosting for the Semifinal. When I say that division's side of the bracket I mean whatever side that has that divisions' #1 seed. You can see this if you look at the official MHSA bracket where it marks the (H) for the home side of each game. This is not just solely for if it is a tie on seeds, those are set regardless of seedings. Thus, since the Northwest had hosting in the semifinal of the bottom side since Billings Central took out the Northwest #1 they get to host this game. Same will happen if Columbia Falls beats Belgrade, since it was the Central A's turn to host throughout then Columbia Falls would get to host the championship. As noted in the thread last week, the one exception to this setup is if two teams from the same division meet then the predetermined host is ignored and the higher seed hosts.

Clear as mud now? :lol:

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:34 pm

kmax wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Northern Plains,

In A the hosting for Semifinals and Finals is predetermined and rotates through the divisions. In the first two rounds when it is guaranteed that there is a higher/lower seed matchup you have them hosting. The 2 seeds host the wildcards in the first round and the 1 seeds host the winners of the first round. In the semifinals and the finals though when a higher/lower is not guaranteed then A uses the predetermined hosts. For this year, the Central A side of the bracket has hosting for semifinal and final, for the bottom side of the bracket the NorthWest has hosting for the Semifinal. When I say that division's side of the bracket I mean whatever side that has that divisions' #1 seed. You can see this if you look at the official MHSA bracket where it marks the (H) for the home side of each game. This is not just solely for if it is a tie on seeds, those are set regardless of seedings. Thus, since the Northwest had hosting in the semifinal of the bottom side since Billings Central took out the Northwest #1 they get to host this game. Same will happen if Columbia Falls beats Belgrade, since it was the Central A's turn to host throughout then Columbia Falls would get to host the championship. As noted in the thread last week, the one exception to this setup is if two teams from the same division meet then the predetermined host is ignored and the higher seed hosts.

Goodness. Probably could be a little easier than that eh?

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:47 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
kmax wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Northern Plains,

Goodness. Probably could be a little easier than that eh?
Ha, yeah...though I think it only seems complicated (and gets complicated trying to explain) because it goes against the natural way that sports fans have ever seen any tourney run as far as seedings and host teams. It really is as simple as, the seeds only determine inital place in the bracket. After that they have no impact on the hosting which is preset so just follow what is written on the bracket for that. Only real wrinkle is the same conference clause.

That said, from the sounds of things that others were saying here a few weeks ago if Class A is reorganizing you can probably just forget all of that and save yourself the trouble. :wink:

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:40 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

Northern Plains,

Kmax explained it well. Each conference champ has a guaranteed home game in the quarter finals. After that a fixed bracket rotates each year. This allows each of the four conference Champions a right to host all the way through (quarters, semi, and Championship) once per four years.

This year the Central Conference Champ, Belgrade, holds the right to host all the way through. They will host the Championship if they win Saturday. Yet if C. Falls wins the Wildcats will take with them that "slot" with the right to host the Championship game.

On the other side of the bracket, the NW Conference Champs, Polson, held the right to host a semi-final. When Billings Central beat them on the road Central also won the right to host that semi-final.

Dillon knew in advance they were playing any semi-final and Championship on road this year. You may see this as unfair but it is just MHSA's way to give each conference a chance to host semi & finals.

Remember last year the SW Conference Champs (Dillon) held the premier bracket slot. They had the right to play at home throughout the playoffs (quarter, semi, & finals) and Dillon did host each game. So this year their conference rotated around to the worst slot (quarters at home, then road for both a semi & final). Four years from now when it cycles back around the SW conference will once again hold home field advantage throughout.

Hope this helps clarify things. There will be a test on this later!

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:03 pm

Had to laugh after reading kmax's latest response. No, it is not complex once you understand the rotation. It only seems complicated when trying to explain how the right to host playoff games is fixed on the bracket with the conferences then rotating through that bracket over the years.

This year the Central conference champ has the 'premier' #1 slot.
The Eastern the #2.
The NW the #3.
The SW the #4.

Next year the Eastern conference will hold that premier #1 slot.
The NW #2.
The SW #3.
The Central the worst slot #4.

Though apparently this isn't as complicated as this year's election push.

My wife called. The Montana Conservation Voters left us a message warning us "Caesar's" absentee ballot hadn't been turned in yet and he should immediately go to our polling place and cast it in person. Unfortunately Caesar has no voters I.D. since he is our dog. So did someone request an absentee ballot for our dog? I guess Hillary needs votes wherever she can get them.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:28 pm

NorthernPlains wrote:Had to laugh after reading kmax's latest response. No, it is not complex once you understand the rotation. It only seems complicated when trying to explain how the right to host playoff games is fixed on the bracket with the conferences then rotating through that bracket over the years.

This year the Central conference champ has the 'premier' #1 slot.
The Eastern the #2.
The NW the #3.
The SW the #4.

Next year the Eastern conference will hold that premier #1 slot.
The NW #2.
The SW #3.
The Central the worst slot #4.

Though apparently this isn't as complicated as this year's election push.

My wife called. The Montana Conservation Voters left us a message warning us "Caesar's" absentee ballot hadn't been turned in yet and he should immediately go to our polling place and cast it in person. Unfortunately Caesar has no voters I.D. since he is our dog. So did someone request an absentee ballot for our dog? I guess Hillary needs votes wherever she can get them.
Now that is funny...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:25 am

I was at the Dillon-Central game. Dillon took control of the game in the second half. They have bigger and faster players than BC. Not sure what they are feeding those boys down there! Anderson is a great athlete and glad he will be playing in Bozeman next year. On thing about this game is that Stanton of BC kept wanting to run the wing T run game and Dillon is one of the few teams that has figured out how to stop it. Central had success early passing the ball but kept trying to run it, must to the frustration of a lot of fans. Then by the time it was too late, Central starting passing the ball in the 4th and had success doing it. Chrishon Dixon had a nice catch and run for a TD. He is only a sophomore and would love to see him at MSU in a couple of years.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell