state champ. games at MSU & UM

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

state champ. games at MSU & UM

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:32 pm

All five of Montana's high school football state championships could soon be heading to one stadium.

MTN News learned Tuesday that a group is working on a proposal to bring all of the games together in either Washington-Grizzly Stadium in Missoula or Bobcat Stadium in Bozeman.
http://www.krtv.com/news/group-wants-al ... -location/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This would be awesome.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

SonomaCat

Re: state champ. games at MSU & UM

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:38 pm

That would be one helluva an event!

It also seems the most fair -- state championship games probably shouldn't be home games for one of the teams.

That will pull revenue away from those other towns and drop it into Bozeman and Missoula, though, which I'm sure will meet with some resistance.

catpound
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catpound » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:02 pm

this needs to get done. Most of the states around us are already doing this.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:07 pm

A centrally located venue makes more sense.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:44 pm

So...This would happen the same week as Cat/griz, but in the opposite town as Cat/griz?

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:13 am

http://missoulian.com/sports/high-schoo ... 963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think this would be a great idea. The thought is to have the smaller schools play Thursday and the bigger schools on Friday which then you can still make the Cat/griz game in the opposite town =D^

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:35 am

He was surprised when the kids wanted to play at home? Every kid presented with that option would pick home. If you asked me where I want Cat/gritz I would always pick Bozeman. The idea is very good. I have thought for some time that NAIA DIV3 Div 2 and FCS should all play at one site on the same weekend, my choice would be Vegas.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by catamaran » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:47 am

there are enough small schools still where i don't see this getting done. all of them (that are in contention) look forward to the opportunity to host a state championship game

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:51 am

catamaran wrote:there are enough small schools still where i don't see this getting done. all of them (that are in contention) look forward to the opportunity to host a state championship game
Right now, all of them are in contention, but only a handfull actually have a shot. I could see the majority thinking the same thing as the Superior coach.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:04 pm

The only way,IMO, to convince the communities that don't want it, is to actually do it.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:30 pm

When I was in high school, playing six man, I definitely would have loved to play the championship game in a place like Bozeman or Missoula in a college stadium. I think we all would have. Having a home game really wasn't that big of a deal to us -- we actually liked getting out of town, staying in hotels, and seeing new places (like we got to do for Divisional and State basketball tournaments). Switching a championship game from our hard-pan frozen field to a Division 1 football stadium would have been amazing.

I would think that the people who would be most opposed wouldn't generally be the players so much as all of the parents and fans who would have to shell out for that road trip instead of having a home game. To a lesser extent, the businesses in the host communities might not want to give that up, although the magnitude of that business probably isn't huge (especially given how rarely towns host championships on average).

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:33 pm

Another issue would be field dimensions since you're dealing with 3 different playing surfaces (80 yd., hs 100 yd, and college)

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:58 pm

catamaran wrote:Another issue would be field dimensions since you're dealing with 3 different playing surfaces (80 yd., hs 100 yd, and college)
When I was young, St. Leo's in Lewistown played 8 man, but used Fergus High School's football field. I think what they did is just move the ball forward 20 yards on each change of possession and then had chalked in sidelines that were narrower.

I guess the only time that approach wouldn't quite work is on a punt, interception of fumble recovery return, in which case the returning team would need to run an extra 20 yards to score. But even then I guess they could just deem that it was a touchdown if you crossed the 20 yard line.

What differences are there between HS 11 man and college? Hash marks? Or are the actual field dimensions different as well?

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:03 pm

Inbounds marks are different to open up the college game more. Additionally, you have to deal with different goal posts, both for an 80 yd field and different widths for hs.

catpound
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catpound » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:58 pm

6 man and 8 man play on 40x80 yard fields. Class B, A and AA play on the same size field as college, 54x100 yds. The differences: the goal posts in college are a littler narrower than HS goal posts, also the hash marks in HS are closer to the sidelines in college, or the hash marks are wider in HS.