Danny Robison wins Gatorade award

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Danny Robison wins Gatorade award

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:58 pm

CHICAGO -- Danny Robison of the State AA champion Billings West boys basketball team has been named the 2011-12 Gatorade boys basketball player of the year for Montana.

The 6-foot-8, 235-pound senior, who has signed with Montana State, helped West to a 22-1 record and the school's first State AA title since 2008. The Golden Bears are coached by Doug Robison, Danny's father.

Robison averaged 17.4 points, 8.3 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 1.4 steals per game this season, shooting 69.3 percent from the field and 71.3 percent from the free-throw line. He had 19 points and seven rebounds in the state championship game against Kalispell Flathead to earn tournament MVP honors.

"Danny was the most dominant player in Class AA this season, hands down," said Bozeman coach Wes Holmquist. "He was an absolute force. He shot 70 percent from the field, and once he gets the ball near the basket he is darn near impossible to stop.

"Not only can he score from anywhere on the floor, he is a good passer and a very good rebounder. Danny is physical, and his presence is unmistakable when he is on the floor. He is the best player on the best team in the state, no question."

Robison has maintained an A average in the classroom, ranking among the top 10 of his graduating class.

Robison is the second Gatorade boys basketball player of the year winner from Billings West, joining 1998 winner Pete Conway. Tanner Roderick of Bozeman won the award last year.

To see other state winners or for more information on the Gatorade player of the year program, visit http://playeroftheyear.gatorade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on the Internet.

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/sports/high- ... z1psi9mqkv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Re: Danny Robison wins Gatorade award

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:10 pm

Both boys and girls bball Gatorade winners are coming to Bozo:

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/ap ... to-bozeman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Looks like a couple of stellar bball players and students coming to MSU next fall!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:49 pm

all we can hope for now is that he leaves msu better than he came to msu....

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:06 am

So, for those of you who've actually seen Robison play, what is his potential? Is he a legit 6-8? Could he possibly be an all-BSC caliber player? Is he big enough and strong enough to be a good low-post scorer? Is he good enough to contribute right away (after a redshirt season)? I would love to see a Montans kid do well for the Cats!

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:38 am

I'd say he could contribute soon but not immediately (he will redshirt). 6'8" is pretty accurate. I would hope him to be all-BSC second team at the very least by the time he's done. But he's going to have to work his butt off to get there though. Shoots a ridiculously good % so I hope that translates to MSU. However, West ran the press a lot and fed it through him. He's not going to be able to drive through the front court at MSU like he did at West.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:17 am

If my memory serves me correct, his dad was a pretty good player for UGF Argos in the 80's...

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:33 am

WeedKillinCat wrote:If my memory serves me correct, his dad was a pretty good player for UGF Argos in the 80's...
That's correct. His dad was a very good player on some really good UGF teams back in the early 80's.